Traffic Nose Dive

Jump to Last Post 51-81 of 81 discussions (198 posts)
  1. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

We should use this info when we decide what to write about. I've just written about my own interests in the past, but it looks like we should be pinpointing young ladies, in their twenties, with children. I'll have to give that some thought.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

We should use this info when we decide what to write about. I've just written about my own interests in the past, but it looks like we should be pinpointing young ladies, in their twenties, with children. I'll have to give that some thought.

3. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I so have nothing in common with young ladies in their 20's with children. I am doomed...

4. paradigmsearch profile image61

I'm going to leave it to someone else to post a hub full of male-model pics.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

PDS, they have children. Was it not you that wrote a hub about how to check your child's literacy or some such? (apologies, but I can't remember the title, but there was definitely a hub about checking literacy, handwriting, numerousy or something like that) Just think, you have knowledge that can help some young mum who may have been unable to further her education, help her kids do their homework!

The possibilities are endless. smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image61

Yep, I did two. Google was not impressed with either of them. I'm lucky if they each get one hit a day.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You are an educated man. Put yourself in the shoes of a woman who's very busy, hasn't furthered her own education, and then suddenly little Jimmy at the age of 10 comes home with a long division. Mum did this too, but can't remember how. She goes to google and types; how to do long divisions for ten year old? Perhaps?

Or, little Sarah is twelve, she needs an explanation of algebra? Mum is nonplussed.  Next day (although this may occur earlier) she asks mum about pythagoras theorum, Wikipedia is too complex for either so mum types; pythagoras theorum for dummies, pythagoras theorum made easy,
      pythagoras theorum for mum and kids who have not  got a clue.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now that Glam is on the scene, you could really be on to something.

My Sunday evening traffic perk-up finally started. I'm definitely going to beat last Sunday. I'm starting to get article-writing inspired again...

2. Drive By Quipper profile image58
        Drive By Quipperposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Spank em' and send them to bed early. Problem solved.

6. tommen profile image82
    tommenposted 11 years ago

The traffic dives every time Google makes an update, minor tweaks are made several times per month.Is there some things we could do in order to become less dependent on organic traffic from Google? Other traffic strategies that are free and work? Any ideas?

How about guest posting on high traffic blogs and linking back to hubs?

-Tom

7. Silver Rose profile image66
    Silver Roseposted 11 years ago

I think Google has removed the benefit of the subdomains. See the following:

http://www.webpronews.com/matt-cutts-ta … es-2012-10

The key thing is at about 1:31 in the video - he obliquely says that they used to have multiple subdomains in the SERPs but now they do host-crowding by domain instead. He's trying to pretend that it's just about multiple listings in the SERPs, but in reality what he's saying is that before a subdomain was a stand-alone website in it's own right, but now it's treated as just a directory of the main domain.

So while the subdomain was isolated from the hubpages domain, some soared. As soon as they were merely directories of the hubpages domain, they were infected again by what ails the hubpages domain (i.e. it's as though the subdomains switch was reversed and we're back to where we were in mid 2011 before the subdomain switch).

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds plausible.The slow downward slide most of us have suffered seems to suggest that the many millions of  poor pages still published here drag us all down.  But then individual sub-domains still get hit by Panda, while others do not.

So we stand alone in some ways, while suffering for the sins of others.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep.  Makes a lot of sense.  Subdomains hid the problem.  Not any more.

Now we're on a quality push.

As my contribution I have deleted about 100 pages.

1. tommen profile image82
        tommenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I also unpublished all the idle zzz-hubs I had (52 hubs in total) and it seems to work, I get more traffic now.I will concentrate on making high quality 1000+ word hubs from now on.Let´s see how it goes.

8. swb78 profile image61
    swb78posted 11 years ago

Well, I followed some more of the guidelines in the forums and from some of the more successful Hubbers here and my traffic is heading back up. I was at about 200-250 hits a day. At the low point of all this I fell to about 30-60 hits a day. I`m back to 100+ a day. Maybe we all had better give it some more time. William Power.

9. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

The poor quality hubs might go away if several people flag them, as someone suggested. If we get rid of bad content, everything can improve. Traffic should return unless Google trips us up. I already found a truly bad one and told two other hubbers. A third grader could have done better.

10. SarahLynnB profile image61
    SarahLynnBposted 11 years ago

ehhh! Same here, something has to be going on. Hopefully, it gets fixed soon. I really hope these changes are not permanent.

11. brakel2 profile image73

Thanksgiving Day  My traffic is up 17% according to my report.  An others with better traffic? My question/ answer views are way up. I am thankful but will not get too excited.

1. molometer profile image79
      molometerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had a blip like that a few days ago. It has been like that for months now. Up and down.
      My traffic would suddenly shoot up but always returned to this downward trend. Very bizarre indeed.

It was only when I checked my trend-line for the whole year that it became apparent that there is something seriously wrong. And it is not with my or anyone else's hubpages.

IMO. This traffic disruption is coming from outside of hubpages.

12. paradigmsearch profile image61

Both as to traffic and earnings, I am reasonably certain that yesterday was my new personal best for the year.

13. safiq ali patel profile image66
    safiq ali patelposted 11 years ago

No you are not alone with this. Last week I had my worst week every will traffic down by over three quarters.

14. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 11 years ago

What leaves me confused is many of my articles are still ranking in the same spots of Google for their keywords, so I really cannot understand why page views go down if for the last 2 years they have always been stable and they are still in the same spot. Just odd!

However, with the Thanksgiving holiday, could be many are cooking, enjoying family time and their last thoughts are searching the internet. Yet, recipes and other festivity related hubs should get have gotten a boost these days...

1. JayeWisdom profile image88
      JayeWisdomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

alexadry...I'm as confused as you are because my best-read hub (an article) still ranks the same with Google, but daily viewing is down by more than half. This has been going on since September--coinciding with HP changes as well as reputed Google algorithm changes.  I've edited/updated most of my hubs, but my views (and earnings) are still at half mast.  Very frustrating!

15. JanMaklak profile image75
    JanMaklakposted 11 years ago

I just checked Alexa to see the difference between hub pages and about.com.  About has remained stable with some oscillation however hub pages has taken a tumble.  I think the google algorithms got it wrong here.  Yes Hub Pages is a article farm but about.com is nothing more than a million pages of over saturated advertising.  I don't get it at all.  Since courseware is a way of the future maybe Hub Pages should diversify and we could write mini courses on topics that we are knowledgeable about.

1. Will Apse profile image87
      Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

About.com has kept out absolutely terrible content. HP is only now trying to do that.

2. molometer profile image79

Taken a tumble is very polite.
      Traffic has been sliced in half and is continuing down at an alarming rate.

Another 6 months of these and there will be no hubpages.

I find the whole thing really strange too. Hubpages in the main has fantastic content and writers.

There may have been a few odd profiles and dodgy pages but overall, very good articles, well written and researched. Back up by knowledgeable people.

For a comparison. Check out Technorati's top articles. They are absolutely dreadful. Nothing but a load of spun rubbish. The spelling is pre-school level and the grammar...forget about it.

I really cannot see, for the life of me how hubpages keeps getting hammered, unless the truth is that the almighty Google, doesn't really want good content after all. We are pursuing a dead end.

The idle hub was the dumbest idea, in a long line of dumb ideas this year.
      You cannot fix what you do not understand.

I don't see these other, quite frankly crap web sites, getting smashed up the way hubpages is getting smashed.

16. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years ago

So....let me get this straight...everyone is in the sandbox?  It's not just me and a few others?

I went from 800 to 1200 page views a day....to about 250 per day..just this week.

1. JanMaklak profile image75
      JanMaklakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

well guys I'm not at yourlevel yet but every day on Hub Pages I have to ask if I am wasting my time.  I'm just looking for enough to supplement my retirement in a couple of years but this doesn't look good.  I have 25 hubs now on social marketing and photography and I have yet to break $0.50 a day.  I was getting $0.10 a day but figured with better ads it started to improve.  When I write a photography article I put in very expensive cameras from Amazon ($20,000-$45,000) People are curious and want to see if it is an error and will go to the ad.  Nobody wants to look at another $0.99 ebook.

2. sabrebIade profile image80
      sabrebIadeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah...originally the company line was it was just a few people.
      But either those few are VERY vocal or it's more people than they thought at first.
      For every one or two "Well my traffic has gone up!" I'm seeing five or ten "My traffic has tanked".
      Add to that the steady downward slide on Quantcast since the 10th, +4% to -11%, I'm inclined to think it's another slap.

3. molometer profile image79

You are not alone Wesman. My traffic has declined by 50+% since June and is still falling like a stone, and yet every one of my 90 hubs is featured on hubpages.

They still appear if I search for them using the URL's, which means they are not in the sandbox, but Google is sending very little traffic hubpages way in general. According to Alexa.

This idle hubs thing is also causing problems with the nofollow flag on, the bots are simply ignoring brand new hubs.
      I posted a new hub a few days ago now, and it still didn't appear in search so I submitted using web-master tools.

It found it and I submitted to the index.
      I have a creeping suspicion that I have shot myself in the foot.

Because it may have been submitted with the nofollow attribute, which means it will get zero traffic.

This is rapidly becoming a real mess.

4. theherbivorehippi profile image66
      theherbivorehippiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you. Mine cut in half this week as well. sad

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. Over the course of the last week, my traffic was cut in half.

17. Words By William profile image59
    Words By Williamposted 11 years ago

My traffic and earnings are 30-40% from what they were 3 months ago. I would appreciate some feedback also.

18. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

It seems this has effected a huge number of hubbers.......I read at the very least, 10 comments a day now, from hubbers concerned and curious about their disappearing traffic.   It's like a damned epidemic of some traffic-eating disease.   Hello?  Wes....It is NOT just you!!   and drops in traffic is not the ONLY issue hubbers are dealing with....no one seems to know what is happening.

19. MakinBacon profile image80
    MakinBaconposted 11 years ago

This is not related to just a few people. My traffic has also tanked over the last couple of days by at least 40 percent.

One thing that makes me wonder if this is a Hubpage debacle is I was also selling about 15 items a day on Amazon. Over the last two days during the busy Christmas season it has dropped to zero. That's literally impossible unless Hubpages screwed up.

Did they accidently or on purpose place their own Amazon ID in place of mine for the entire day, or put it on the hours that drive all the sales? Again, it's not possible to go without sales during the Christmas holiday with the thousands a day in traffic my various Hub profiles have been generating. 

To see this happen at the same time as my traffic took a major hit is too hard to believe is a coincidence (I'm still getting thousands a hits a day so it's not like the traffic dropped to a couple of hundred a day where it would be a legitimate result to have little or no Amazon sales). In other words this could be the result of action directly taken by Hubpages rather than a Google slap. Google has no connection to Amazon sales, so there is something very suspicious happening in this regard.

I'm suspicious of the timing of all of this at Christmas time (September through December) when it drives the most revenue for the majority of writers that know what they're doing. To me it says Hubpages is declaring they don't have a business model and seem to become the servants of Google rather than a platform for writers to express themselves and make money.

More than any other attack on our traffic this one is the one that makes the least sense, and when including other factors like the Amazon issue I mentioned, could be unrelated to Google whatsoever.

20. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

There's something a bit odd about this update. Normally when Google decides to b*&^% slap us, traffic drops overnight, but this has been a steady decline over the past four to five days. Even on Quantcast, HP traffic has steadily declined, not plummeted. I wonder if it has more to do with the Holidays coming up than the Google update. It's hard to tell over a weekend though because traffic normally drops about 200 views (for me anyway) until Sunday night.

I'm not going to panic just yet. I'll wait until Monday to see if the traffic rises again. This is just killing our earnings though.

21. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

My organic Google search is also down significantly.  This time last year it was rising gently.

So, another update, another change - who knows?  And where will we all be next week - up, down, sideways?

I can handle low or high traffic.  It's the changing that hacks me off.  Seems to me that Google is just randomly tweaking.

1. sabrebIade profile image80

The only thing saving me is Bing/Yahoo...maybe because I have been focusing on them since the last Google slap

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For me, the biggest rising line on Analytics is direct traffic which now forms 25% of my views, roughly.  I'm not entirely sure what it even means.

22. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 11 years ago

for the last four days i've hardly had any views. and that is very frustrating!

23. JanMaklak profile image75
    JanMaklakposted 11 years ago

So While I'm not an expert yet I'll share with you what I'm doing.
    I have 25 hubs on social media and photography.
    I have over 9500 twitter followers and I tweet to them all day long about every 15 minutes for business and some interesting things in between not business related.  I have a post to on how to increase your twitter followers.
    I have a FB page as well with almost 300 followers and I refer traffic here if your interested.
    I just signed up with Scoop it (I hear good things about it.)
    My 1 day traffic is 176 views (today) and I still have 1/2 day to go.
    I have one hub that acts as an index hub and I call it a Free short course on Social Media.  It refered to several of my other hubs
    I just figured out that exciting things in the ads are more important than the words written. (like a go cart, electronic drums, expensive watches($25,000) and cameras($22,500)
    I've made a whole $2.60 this month but I just figured out the ads
    I'll have an e-book coming out and a template for a photographers portfolio in the new year to further gain my own list.
    So what more can I do?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image80
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A blogger blog with a title very specific to the kind of content you create might be the best deal for you.

...but don't take my advice, I'm really just pissed off.  I am taking the opportunity to delete/move a lot of hubs to one specific blogger blog of mine about a very specific topic...I'm hoping to see a bit of a bump in adsense revenues from it.

24. Californialaw profile image61
    Californialawposted 11 years ago

It seems like this is going on across the board hmm Google changes its algorithms all the time. Usually if you do a search for news about a new algorithm you can find out what they're targeting (excessive keyword use etc)

25. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

It's the weekend - my traffic always suffers at the weekend - that being said it is lower than normal..

BUT - it is the last but one weekend before Christmas, I would guess that a lot of people are stuck out in town buying presents for their loved ones (I need a new phone and a new laptop should anyone read this!) So I am not too worried by a dip this weekend...

26. Rain Defence profile image80
    Rain Defenceposted 11 years ago

Janmaklak the 170 views you're talking is the last 24 hrs, it doesn't start from midnight or something, the 'daily views' thing doesn't work like that. The best bet is just to keep on churning hubs out. You're going to need a lot more traffic to start making any money.

27. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

It appears something took place on the 13th, but Google says it wasn't Panda related.
    This came out yesterday on Search Engine Roundtable.

"Update 2: At about 2pm EDT Google told me this is not Panda related but they are going to dig deeper and let me know if it was something else."

"They are going to dig deeper"?
      Google doesn't even know what happened?

"Hey Fred! Did you change the Algo?"
      " Not me. I was at lunch!"
      "Tom?"
      "Nope"
      etc.....

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. SimeyC profile image87
        SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nah it's more like:

"Hey Fred, did you break Gmail?"
        "Oops sorry, my coffee spilt on the server"
        "Ahh, just roll back the server then"
        "OK....Done"
        "Hey Fred, what server holds the algorithms?"
        "Oops - we're back to the really bad Panda version - now where's the backup????"

I wish we had Plus 1s on comments....LOL

28. brakel2 profile image73

So why is the site down in traffic? Was there something else beside the porn update?  My traffic is down at least 1/3.

29. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

Yep, mine too. I was doing so well, and then Google goes and rips it all away. The last time this happened though, my traffic recovered and increased drastically, so I'm hoping this is a case of it gets worse before it gets better.

30. paradigmsearch profile image61

My traffic has begun its usual new-week muddling upwards...

The trickle upwards continues...

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yup.  Unfortunately it's got a looong way to go to get to where Monday was a couple of weeks ago.

Been awhile, I finally worked up the energy to visit quantcast. That chart is depressing... If it was a stock, I'd give up and sell it. The problem is that I don't see any other "stocks" doing any better...

I see what you mean.  That graph looks startlingly similar to mine on analytics, at least in shape.  Until the end - yesterday popped up a little for me but not HP and today is already higher than yesterday.

Have faith - maybe we're already coming out of it.

I submit that even Wikipedia could be lower a year from now. The problem is that I don't know how to act on that hypothesis.

2. SimeyC profile image87
              SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am seeing an increase in traffic over this week - back to October levels - however my benchmark hub is still sitting on page 2 of Google - so I'm hoping my normal pattern of changes happens and it goes back to page 1 tonight - giving me a few days to cash in on Christmas and the End of the World!!!!

31. paradigmsearch profile image61

Wikipedia isn't quantified, but I can tell even they are dropping.

That's because the people have discovered that the hubs of Wilderness are far superior to wikipedia. 

Except that my traffic is falling even faster...sad

December is already my best month of the year. However, come January, I am doomed...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)