Have you decided to stop writing hubs?

Jump to Last Post 51-70 of 70 discussions (250 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 10 years ago

No. Things have changed. The Big Boys want the money we were making.

1. Victoria Lynn profile image88
      Victoria Lynnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This all sucks. :-(

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a good bubble title. lol

Excellent! Don't beat me to it! :-)

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is what it is. Things change and the Internet is particularly fast changing. I fully expect the search engines as we know them to be all but extinct in the next 10 years as they are replaced with dedicated apps for smart products. Recipe apps/hotel apps/travel apps/product apps/book apps/ magazine apps/etc etc. Maybe even sooner. Who can say for sure.

If you want to make it in online writing - find a niche that needs people to write for a particular app.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mark will a blog for a for such a niche work in that case?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59

Highly unlikely.

2. Barbara Kay profile image72
          Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I"ve wondered about this too and it is the same with writing super long articles. People want answers and want them quick now.I think Google is behind on their thinking.  My husband keeps telling me that you can only earn money on the internet from something for 3 years and then it changes. I am beginning to think he is right. Change is inevitable. Search engines may become extinct.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image85
          Billie Kelpinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Mark Knowles, EXACTLY.  Things are changing at lightning speed and we can't be dinosaurs.  I created an ebook and an app with ibuildapp and I KNOW some hubs could be made easily into great apps.  I'm learning how to "monetize" the apps, but it IS difficult because everyone wants something for free), but I'm learning. 

I think the structure of hubpages is now looking like a convent wall - bare, sparse.  No one wants to read long content except if they're reading a novel.  "How To..." articles need to be slide shows that are fast and easy to read.  We have to ask "the man who owns one" (my favorite phrase from the 50s commercial), meaning look at who "owns" (i.e. is using the internet and how they are using it).  Just watch "Newsroom" on HBO and you realize that dialog is fast and furious, just like everything else.
          If I owned hubpages I would not require content to be exclusive (It's impossible, meaningless, and unnecessary as I see it ) ; I would gather together all similar topic hubs and create hub ebooks for $3.99 and share the profit with the writers who have articles under a topic and market the hell out of them ; I'd be on every NPR show I could find and every other show that would have me advertising the website, telling the story, featuring the writers;  I would have more contests with meaningful and worthwhile prizes; I would make the question/answer section more open and use ads more effectively on those pages;  I would definitely change the software interface for the articles to make them more exciting (slide shows, audio)  and help the writers have more flexibility and creativity.   I would start getting writers to create their hubs into audiobooks and publish in that realm as well.  I'd get hubpages on kickstarter to generate money to implement more of these ideas; I'd hire actors to create youtube videos advertising hubs; I'd create downloadable CDs on specific hubtopics; and on and on. 
          It's time to get out of the Pleistocene era of technology.  If the staff at hubpages can't do this, they should hire some 18 years old on the cutting edge, or we should band together and create apps and ebooks and videos ourselves.

1. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

'No one wants to read long content except if they're reading a novel'

I'll skip the rest of your comment, then, especially since it is obviously untrue. Long hubs do better than short hubs according to all the stats and also according to my personal experience.

Why are the forums suddenly filling up with people who think it is fine to push out completely unsupported assertions?

1. Solaras profile image95
              Solarasposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it depends on the topic. If I am looking for something like - signs of cancer in dogs- and I am concerned about one of my dogs, I want all the information I can get. 

If I want to know how to spell a word or quickly double check info on something I was not positive about, the shorter the better.

If I need a thesaurus - the longer the answer the better etc.. I do think videos are weirdly important.  Add those and double your pageviews.

I can do stream of consciousnesses too, but I will spare you.

2. profile image0
              Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I don't like long hubs, therefore it is true that short hubs are better. I'm sorry, but I wanted to end this argument with a fact. Thank you.

The way things are in this thread, you will come back in a few minutes and say the exact opposite, Beth. lol.

2. Billie Kelpin profile image85

sorry to have taken time with my "stream of consciousness" - I was only well-intentioned, but it sure cured me of forums -So  thanks.  That kind of discouragement will surely end up saving me time. Over and out .

Sorry, I probably need to learn more patience. As an interim measure I promise not to read or comment on any of your posts.

3. Mark Knowles profile image59

The other alternative (which is the route I have taken) is to get a job with a player with money. HP almost made it, but - at the end of the day, Google holds the purse strings (traffic) and relying on Google traffic (unless you are a player) seems broken now. Anyone who thinks they can make a living doing it the "olde," way is sadly mistaken or living in a third world country. I held on for a while, but everything I have seen has shown me that it is indeed dinosaur thinking.

Hubpages has (had) a great community, but unless the team get their act together and make some smart proactive decisions instead of the last two years of reactive decisions based on - I know not what - google's stated intentions? sad that will go play at bubblews.

I haven't sen anything proactive. We need to change and soon if we are to survive. And I don't mean trying to compete with established players like wiki-fuckin-pedia. sad

1. Jean Bakula profile image92
              Jean Bakulaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Will,
              I think people go for either short hubs or long ones depending on what they need at the time.

If they have a little question that is not of much importance, they just want a quick answer.

If they want to learn about a subject in greater detail, they will read a longer hub. All of my longest hubs always did the best, they were my 20%. I don't know if it will be the same after summer's gone though.

1. IzzyM profile image86
                IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My 'time on site' report suggests that  people were looking for a quick answer. They got it, and moved on.
                They didn't read the whole hub, but something in that hub answered their query.

Everyone is searching for something. It might be that just one paragraph in your hub answers them.

Longer hubs are bound to do better because they answer a variety of questions.

The likes of ask.com are sitting at #1 in Google search because the short answer is good for the searcher, even if it is incorrect.

Powerful platform.

Again the platform you write on is all-powerful in the eyes of Google.

If the platform loses its edge so will its writers.

2. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 10 years ago

There are people making big money on blogs. I saw two ladies on local TV and one made $40,000.00 a year and one made 4 times that amount. Sorry if I have said this before in the forums I'm getting old.

1. Doodlehead profile image47
      Doodleheadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I am sure you're correct;   can you point us to some blogs that are doing well in this regard?  I would like to look at them.  Thank you.

3. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 10 years ago

I love this song, and it seems to fit the thread:

Crying Time

1. Billie Kelpin profile image85

Gosh, I LOVE that song - story of my life - I have heard a gazillion versions of this - well, maybe just another one or two versions - There's something about Willie Nelson that gets right to one's soul - huh?  How about this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVLGBvU3QLU

1. snakeslane profile image80
        snakeslaneposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Wow!

4. CreeViking profile image85
    CreeVikingposted 10 years ago

I'm just busy. I write when I can and when I have a little inspiration

5. David Trujillo profile image52
    David Trujilloposted 10 years ago

So where is everyone migrating to?

Bubblews??

I´m in Bubblews as well but it is so suspicious the amount of money they pay and their inconsistencies on paying it. I just fear Bubblews will dissapear one day and all that content is lost.

You are probably correct about them being a flash in the pan, but you are wrong about payments.  If you follow the rules and wait until you have earned at least 50 cents more than the payout level, you will not have problems. I have had two payouts and number three is on the way.  I don't put anything on that site that I may want to use elsewhere, so if it gets lost...well, I've already earned for my efforts, right?

1. David Trujillo profile image52
        David Trujilloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, you are right. The site is just not as fun as this one. But I still use Bubblews on the side. Lets hope I followed the rules, I did like my own articles and later on I found out that could ban your payment. So I´m not as engage there until I receive that first one.

Yep, liking your own articles violates the rules and could keep you from getting paid.  I have hit that button accidentally a few times, but I try to be careful.  By the way, thanks for the follow.  You ought to move up to the US so you can RV!  No guerillas here lol!

What happens if you like your own comment?  I have done that by accident on a couple of occasions.  You can't undo the like.

I've done that, too.  Same rules apply.  Anybody can make a mistake, but if you do it too often...bye, bye!

2. earner profile image81
      earnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I write, then copy/paste it.  So it's not lost.

6. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 10 years ago

Okay - So I decided to write a hub. In spite of all of the doom and gloom about long articles etc..
    This was a 2500+ word hub on Bubblews.  Lots of pictures - took me all day to write and post it.  I had been thinking  about it as a series for Bubblews, but why not throw the whole thing on Hubpages and see what happens.

It had 2 comments, and now it is gone.  No longer in my list of hubs.  Is there a rule against writing about making money on social sites?  I seem to see making money articles online here all of the time. 

It is no longer in quality assessment. It is just gone.

Really pissing me off right now...

Oops - I found it hahha -- Changed the name so many times I could not recognize it once I had posted it. heehee....

2. earner profile image81

I feel your pain.  That's just outrageous. 

Update: Oh, you found it.... good!

7. Doodlehead profile image47
    Doodleheadposted 10 years ago

No.....I'm still waiting.    Eventually maybe someone will decide my hubs are cool.
    Looks like everyone who wrote at least 1000 hubs is making some money.  Until then I'll just sit here in the dark in my rocking chair thinking of another hub to write.

1. profile image0

Im not making a penny and never will if it makes you feel better... go with the long hub... Will's probably right... course I wont read it if it's more than 2 paragraphs, but eh.

8. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

When I want to read, I pick up a book, you know? There are SO many hubs on HP's that if your goal was to browse, you would be here all day. If your goal was to google a subject, I can understand why you would want a lot of good info, but I want quick and concise when I'm googling a subject. I'm not disagreeing with any of you as far as what is best... what I know about all this you could fit on the head of a pin. I just know what I personally like, and if a writer is just trying to fill space, I get bored quickly. Time is valuable... said the woman hanging out on a forum. lol

+LOL!

2. Brie Hoffman profile image60
      Brie Hoffmanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Funny and yet..I agree smile

9. nArchuleta profile image74
    nArchuletaposted 10 years ago

I haven't stopped -- I've still got ideas I want to develop. I've gotten a new (teaching) job that prevents me from writing as much as I'd like, and I make WAY more money writing on other sites. I really like Hub Pages, though. To me it's just a hobby, like flamenco. I'll never make any money there either, but I love it!

10. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Do you have any idea how many lines of code are required to make this forum work?

Rather more than you could scratch on the head of a pin.

What does this tell you?

That there are longish subjects that might impact on your life.

Well, not everybody's life, I suppose. If you were a bushman in the Kalahari desert, forums would probably not matter so much. Or pins. Sand would probably be important, though.

Sand is a big subject.

1. profile image0

I *am a bushman in the Kalahari desert. I'm glad someone finally noticed... now shorten all your hubs.

11. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 10 years ago

I have several hubs that are almost finished - I wrote them months ago. I have ideas for other hubs, too. I just feel kind of foolish to spend any more time on hubs or actually publish them at this point. Maybe I'll go ahead and finish them if things improve around here. We'll see.

12. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 10 years ago

Oh, OK. Can I have that scorpion head if you are not going to eat it?

1. profile image0

But that's the best part.

13. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

Even if I wanted to I couldn't write any new hubs. There just isn't the time with all the changes we have to deal with, now on a daily basis. HP have gone mad. They don't have enough to do it seems other than bugging us with new, useless changes every day. I said in an other thread may be they should get a life or maybe they are over-staffed.

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I guess I will have no choice but to start deleting hubs, as I my score just dropped under 85, when my latest hub has a score in the 90s and almost 400 views in two days, and then my score drops.  Really just do not understand at all.  All hubs are featured of mine, but I guess I need to start deleting now!!!

14. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 10 years ago

I've just banged out a quickie..... but it is annoying that you can't get the shortcode until the stats have been gathered.  And there's no initial score etc.

All very offputting and you feel guilty and judged .... and you fear some instant problem/unpublishing of it.

I kept it simple: Banged out words off the top of my head, used my own images, one small, relevant Amazon module.  Job's a good 'un.

I needed to write that info up, to be able to link to it from somewhere else..... so I published because I needed to stick the information somewhere.

1. profile image0

I wonder if that means the same thing in the US as it does in the UK.

1. earner profile image81

A quickie ... yeah, it does.... on reflection.

Beavis, "You said 'Banged!' Heheeehe"

1. profile image0

lol

15. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 10 years ago

I was feeling on a roll .... so wrote another hub this morning.  Heart's not in it, but I need to post content somewhere and it's "bigger content" so not suitable for the B place,

I doubt it'll set the world alight, I did it more for me really.  I doubt Mr G will be impressed enough to direct his visitors in my direction.  But it's down in black/white, while I fancied writing it, so is available to copy/paste amend if I need/want in the future anywhere.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK, I'll copy it.

16. janderson99 profile image52
    janderson99posted 10 years ago

Testing ☺ ☻♥♦♣♠•◘○◙♂♀♪♫☼►◄↕‼¶§▬↨↑↓→←∟↔♥0▼ !"#$%&'
    ┐└ ¥┴┬├─┼ãÃ

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That looks like a cross between a tweet and a bubble.

I just published a new Hub yesterday. It's full of Happy Birthday jokes and QAP didn't like it at first.  They really have no sense of humor, but it's featured now.

1. janderson99 profile image52
        janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

If its an "a" Birthday date it may be EC 'd and given the Nod.

I don't know what this is: "a" Birthday date.

I opted out of EC.  This Hub should do just find on my subdomain.  It's already on page 3 of Google and should move up quickly.

1. janderson99 profile image52
            janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You need to be an 'a' to get an EC
            EC = a x a HP's law for Chosen Ones.

I don't think animals qualify for the "a" program.  HP discriminates against animals.  That's why they have those weird captchas requiring everyone to prove that they are human.  I'm going to report them to the SPCA and PETA.

17. Victoria Lynn profile image88
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

I'm not sure I would delete anything yet. I'm just seeing what will happen. I might even write a hub here and there. I have some started. It's just hard to get motivated to finish them!

Well, you have a great high score, and all of mine are featured and just received a good-scoring one with a good bit of views, and then the score dropped!  Unless the weekend stats do not update until Monday, but it is a lot of work and then ...  I would just delete the lower-scoring hubs to see if that will help the aggregate scoring go up?  Who knows?

Yeah, maybe. I don't know. It's hard to know. :-(

Yes, probably so, even if they are featured.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

What score would you look for to delete, those under the score of 70?

I'm not sure. I've always tweaked those under 60. My lowest is now 65. I'm so sentimental that it's hard for me to delete or unpublish them. Honestly, I'm just really not sure what to do!

Yes, me too, and that is the problem, for they started out initially very high and of course over time drop slowly, but my favorite hubs to me, personally, are those when I first joined HP.  I guess I could tweak them and just see, although they are featured, but one can always tweak a bit more indeed!  Well, if you have the lowest one at 65, and your score is still high, then maybe I just need to figure out how to promote mine more on the Internet, by changing the title maybe?  Well, that will not work due to the URL staying the same, I guess?  See how much I know.  lol

Yeah, Faith, you can still tweak the title. I don't know how much the old url figures in, but I do know the title helps. Try the title tweaker under your account. I've tried that before. And you might tweet or share a few in other ways where you think people would read them.

Okay, thanks so much, Victoria, I will try that before tossing and maybe looking at making other little tweaks and just see.  Title tweaker?  Never heard of that before ... lol, no wonder I am having trouble.

Title tuner, I think it's called. You'll see it in your account, and you can use it on hubs to give you suggestions. :-)

18. e-five profile image93
    e-fiveposted 10 years ago

I've fallen off a lot, but not out of malice or pique.

19. Vinaya Ghimire profile image79
    Vinaya Ghimireposted 10 years ago

Hub traffic is falling and earnings are dropping, nevertheless, I believe the problem is temporary. That's why I'm still publishing hubs. On August, I published 6 hubs.

20. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

This is where you find the Title Tuner on your My Account page..

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8344141_f248.jpg

I believe it is based  on what people have googled to find your hubs. So use it with discretion as some of the keyword suggestions are plain silly.

Thank you ...I found it and you are right, plain silly and not related at all to the subject of the actual hub.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)