I think I'll be happy here

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Cari Kay 11 profile image85
    Cari Kay 11posted 9 years ago

No secret that I miss Squidoo having been there a number of years.  Tried out a hub here and, hmmmm, easy to put a page together.  I like that.  Easy to follow my favorite people.  I like that.  Then today I see a little red arrow pointing up on my only hub that I just wrote a few days ago and, today, more than 70 people have viewed it.  Wow.  Took quite awhile when I first started at Squidoo for that to happen.

Okay, I think is going to work out well and a big thank you to all who are making us feel welcome.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages Cari!

2. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hope you'll be happy here. smile

3. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Another nice thing: once you've gotten through the Adsense registration process and have ads configured on your hub account, from then on, your articles can start earning ad revenue as soon as they are featured.

As opposed to Squidoo where a lens didn't start earning until the first of the following month, because it was so hard to work out a way to prorate with the tier system.

Cari Kay 11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I didn't realize that.  Apparently I had one more step to complete my Adsense here and now that that is taken care of, I look forward to seeing how this works.  It would be nice to see the pennies come in in real time smile

4. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm happy to see the transition is going well for you. Welcome to Hubpages.

5. Torrs13 profile image85
      Torrs13posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad to see that you are finding HubPages welcoming! We are all very happy to have you here. I was on Squidoo as well but I came to HubPages back in March. I hope you have great success here smile

6. PegCole17 profile image92
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to HubPages. I'll imagine that being in a new writing place must have its share of adjustments. I hope you'll find this a friendly place with loads of helpful people to guide you as you find your way around.
      All the best,
      Peg

7. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's my favorite place to put together an article. Glad you're here.

8. MelRootsNWrites profile image91
      MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cari,
      I am another Squidoo orphan.  I was shocked when I first read the announcement.  Then, overwhelmed by Hubpages and the differences between the two.  But, I've spent the last few days creating four hubs, reading the articles in the Learning Center, and seeing what others create.  I think I'm going to like in fine here once I get over feeling intimidated by QAP wink

The change has inspired me in some ways.  My writing was stagnant the last couple of months on Squidoo.  I wrote three new articles last week and have done research for two more.  I think this is going to be a refreshing change of scenery for me.

I really like the way the content management system is set up.  Editing modules is very intuitive.  The learning curve has been very small.

Looking forward to getting my lenses over here and moving forward.

2. Susan Zutautas profile image80
    Susan Zutautasposted 9 years ago

So nice when good things happen.

3. Cari Kay 11 profile image85
    Cari Kay 11posted 9 years ago

Thank you.  Brief panic with the end of Squidoo but feeling very thankful for Hubpages!

I must admit, though, that little red arrow set in a brief panic or, at the very least, an 'oh no!'.  While I was fortunately to only have a few pages not make the filters initially, I thought the red arrow meant my page had errors.  Glad to see a red arrow is a good thing smile

4. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Cari: Don't forget your stats box.  Just open up your hub and you will find it at the top.  You can see where your traffic is coming from, etc.

Just checked the stats box (and thank you).  Looks like somebody shared it on LinkedIn.  So glad we can still check the source of our traffic!

5. SusanDeppner profile image76
    SusanDeppnerposted 9 years ago

Love your comment, Cari. Congrats on the "onward and upward" traffic!

6. My Bell profile image93
    My Bellposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages! I love your attitude. I never wrote for Squidoo but can say I've been nothing but very impressed with my short time here. All the writers here are so supportive and give wonderful advice.

7. amiebutchko profile image68
    amiebutchkoposted 9 years ago

Welcome Cari Kay!  Glad to have you here!  Looking forward to reading your work!

8. Shorebirdie profile image75
    Shorebirdieposted 9 years ago

I've also been on Squidoo for a long time.  It was one of the first "writing" sites I signed up for.  I'm still not sure about HubPages, but one thing I really like is how easy it is to see what is going on.  I can see new hubs my friends publish and what's going on in the forum fairly easily. 

On Squidoo, I had to actually either look on the front page for a handful of lenses, or look up a subject or lensmaster individually.  That meant that I missed out on hundreds of thousands of potentially great lenses over the years.

1. PegCole17 profile image92
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Welcome, Shorebirdie. I hope you'll be happy here. Monitoring the RSS feed by clicking on the HubPages icon at the top of the page is how I find lots of good articles to read. Perhaps you've already discovered this.
      PS - I like your name.
      Peg

9. Seanspage profile image76
    Seanspageposted 9 years ago

Welcome to hubpages Cari and Shorebirdie! The community is amazing here, full of helpful people and veterans (I'm sure Squidoo too, had a great community). If you need help, ask people on the forums and you'll surely receive it. Good luck!

10. The Examiner-1 profile image61
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages Cari, as you have seen, you will like it here. smile

11. Anthony Altorenna profile image89
    Anthony Altorennaposted 9 years ago

Hi Cari,

It's good to see you and so many others from Squidoo, and I'm very glad to be here too.

A big "Hello" to the HP community. Thank you for being so supportive and welcoming. It's great to read all of the positive posts and useful tips to help us get acclimated. I've only been here for a week, and published my first Hub. The support and reaction is overwhelming!

Being new to HP, I'm concerned about the transition of my pages from the other site. I think that most of my content is okay, but it will take some time to make all of the necessary changes to convert every page into a worthy Hub - as well as weed out the pages that just won't make the grade.

I'm looking forward to the challenge!

12. goatfury profile image91
    goatfuryposted 9 years ago

I'm optimistic.  I don't want to have "all my eggs in one basket", and that has always been my main concern about having hundreds of articles on one site, but I think Hubpages is a good fit for Squidoodlers like us. 

Having said that, Squidoo did have some unique aspects, and I enjoyed making video posts over there in particular.  I hope to find a great way to make similar articles over here (and I think that, over time, I will).

13. favored profile image65
    favoredposted 9 years ago

Good to hear you are already getting visitors. That gives the rest of us hope. Thanks for sharing this Cari.

Just got my Adsense finalized last evening and was amazed this morning to see that I am already earning.  I really like seeing those numbers in real time!

14. viryabo2 profile image85
    viryabo2posted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages. That's an awesome start and i know you'll be going places here.

I started writing lenses on Squidoo before i moved to HubPages. But to be honest, i have found HP much more beneficial than Squidoo, so have spent more time here than there.

You'll love it here, there's no doubt.
    Best wishes.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)