Hub Pages Bugs

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (48 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

Are we ever going to get rid of the bugs?  I have never seen so many issues with this site as has been seen past few weeks,

1. Shades-of-truth profile image81
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is not really an answer, Linda, but I have to tell you - when we had bugs on Squidoo, it often took a long while for them to even get attention. I am so pleased to see the HP team respond to the issues here. It used to be very frustrating, as we often had no input from Squidoo HQ.

2. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think HP has been making a lot of changes to accommodate the influx of new hubbers and all the new hubs (from Squidoo). They are updating the system, so things should start running smoothly pretty some.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image61
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

No. Bugs are always sneaking in all over the place and out of cracks. There are people who get kicks making it a lifetime habit inventing them to annoy others.

4. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You've been active on these forums during that time so you must be well aware of the reasons.   

The big one is a major server update, which HubPages announced.  Unfortunately it looks like it didn't go well, and I'm sure they are all working very hard to fix it.   

Starting threads to complain is like moaning to the firefighters while they're trying to save your house.   It's not going to help and it's only going to distract them.  Let them get on with their job!

1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
        LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bugs were here before any server updates.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

The only "bugs" I can remember are a delay in stats for a day or two, and a delay in payments which was Adsense's fault not HP.   Neither of those affected our readers' experience or caused any loss of traffic or income.

1. Rhonda Lytle profile image65
            Rhonda Lytleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm getting a lot of 410 errors tonight which I have never gotten here before.

2. Solaras profile image96
            Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Marissa, but my biggest selling Amazon capsule was blank for a couple of days.  Just a stupid looking headline with no product under it.  Embarrassing and weird looking...

2. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This.

5. Chuck Bluestein profile image60
      Chuck Bluesteinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It looks like the stats for how many are seeing your hubs started coming in today. But they also appear totally wrong. For example -5 views and also 0 views on my most popular article.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

There will always be bugs on any web site, including HP.  However, we have Matt Myer and a team that jumps on issues quickly. We see results fairly soon thanks to them.

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Shades: Squidoo have more bugs than Excedrin has headache pills.  This with HP is the worst I have seen and it has gone on for weeks.

Linda, I just saw your comment, and you're correct. Squidoo had a lot of bug! Apologies for not responding sooner. Business calls, and I must attend.

At least here, on HP, you all interact and we do get a response from the HP team. That, is heartening!

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Shades: Squidoo have more bugs than Excedrin has headache pills.  This with HP is the worst I have seen and it has gone on for weeks.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image70
      Elsie Hagleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What's wrong LindaSmith1, we got the message the first time, or is this a bug in the forum?

1. Solaras profile image96

This is happening all over the forums.  So irritating...

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

3 hours to do one hub.  Can't get site up, or get a blank page. Post in forum and nothing happens.  Click on read more in a forum post, and poof gone.  You name it, it is still  happening.  Shortened URL links don't work.

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

A fix for the short URLs is already in the works:
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/125436

6. BritFlorida profile image71
    BritFloridaposted 9 years ago

This might be selective memory but I never had any problems with  Squidoo. I'm having a hard time here though and images are still not showing on several articles. I don't know whether to report that.

1. Sharlee01 profile image81
      Sharlee01posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was with Squidoo from its birth. We never had problems like this. These problems are with stats, and earnings  nothing here matches my Google analytic's.  This is not a little problem... This is a big one. I suppose it has occurred due to all the new influx of articles, and hopefully will be something that Hubpages can fix. I will give it a few more weeks. I just don't feel comfortable about this situation.

Sharlee, they did a server upgrade.   If you've ever gone through one of those at work, you know they sometimes go like clockwork and sometimes go horribly wrong.  I'm sure they've got everyone working frantically on it.

2. relache profile image72

And no stats here ever will.  They are calculated so completely differently you will never ever have a single stat that is remotely the same.

Hi Relache: Can you explain that further?

I thought I had a match this morning.  Stats were delayed 9 hours at 9 o'clock this morning.  I thought here it is, two synced up 24 hour periods that were very divergent.  What is the flaw in my assumption?

1. relache profile image72

The flaw in your assumption is that the two stats systems are counting the exact same data the exact same way, thus allowing you (at some magical time point) to match the two numbers.

It will never happen.

The counters here are just mechanical bean counters.  Go visit your own pages a whole bunch of times and mechanically force the page to reload, the views will go up.  That's not how Analytics looks at your web visitors.  Whether or not your visitor is new, a repeat, sticks around or just leaves are all things Analytics knows.  They know when people are faking pageviews or clicks and when your traffic is just a spam robot and shouldn't be counted. 

The stats here were designed from the get-go to be extremely basic, the sort of thing you glance at to get a very general, trending impression.  HubPages didn't want to reinvent the stats wheel, they wanted to incorporate Analytics for users to get info.  So they did, but they put up a basic system here because not everyone is ready to jump into Analytics right away.

tl;dr people with the inability to deal with statistical data use the in-house stats, anyone who is really serious about their Hubs has learned to use Analytics

Thanks Relache, so the pageviews on HP are just a courtesy, and don't affect our payments one way or another.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
                Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've just been looking around the Help section and the Learning Center, and whenever delays in stats is mentioned, the reader is told not to worry, because views will still be counted and no revenue will be lost. This kind of leads me to believe that the stats HubPages provides are connected in some way to revenue, which tells me that the stats must be pretty accurate. I can't find anything at all that otherwise tells me exactly from which stats earnings are calculated.

I also sometimes notice my total (ever) views decrease a little. I've always thought that was HubPages deducting my own views and other invalid views.

It looks like I didn't answer this post when I thought I did!

You raise a really interesting point, Jayne, and I'd love to know the answer.   Relache is right - when I first joined HubPages, stats were not accurate and there was no need for HP to invest in an accurate system, because views were not used to calculate payments.   

However, that is clearly not the case now, and HP must have an accurate way to record impressions.  So I suppose I've always assumed that once the HP Ads Program started, those stats would be used instead.   But I honestly can't recall anything ever being said about it.  Hmmmm.

2. vineliner57 profile image90
      vineliner57posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You're kidding, right?

Squidoo was buggier than a back road in Amish country...

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Report it Brit.  team@hubpages.com

8. kenneth avery profile image79
    kenneth averyposted 9 years ago

LindaSmith and Solaras, I posted in this forum about NOT getting any nofifications from HP--at all. And normally, I get comments from other hubbers about other hubs, But now my Yahoo Mail where I get HP and Facebook comments has not passed along ANY from either site. I have to say that in my nearly-four years on HP, this IS the most-frustrated I have been. I cannot help it. I just long on and off as if HP was fixed.

9. kenneth avery profile image79

Linda, I just posted my thoughts on the bugs on HP. Since Sept. 30, I have received three nofifications from HP. Usually I get so many I cannot respond at one time. Not that I am boasting, but I hear from other hubbers who comment on other hubs. I will praise God loudly when HP is finally back to normal.

10. kenneth avery profile image79

Linda, I just posted my thoughts on the bugs on HP. Since Sept. 30, I have received three nofifications from HP. Usually I get so many I cannot respond at one time. Not that I am boasting, but I hear from other hubbers who comment on other hubs. I will praise God loudly when HP is finally back to normal.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image61

It has been nuts for a couple of weeks, since the transfers began.

1. ologsinquito profile image81
      ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know the HP team is aware of the bugs, but I still want to bring it to their attention that I get a message that the site is offline when I try to load some of the pages. (I know you're all working hard behind the scenes.)

Absolutely, but making vague complaints isn't going to help them track the problem, especially if they're posted in a "discussions" thread and not in the proper, staff-monitored thread where they're supposed to be reported.   

The Community threads are not monitored by staff normally (though they do drop in occasionally).

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
          DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It seems as if every time I see something as a technical bug, and report it in that forum, I get "scolded" and told to post it elsewhere, and the post gets moved.
          So I've given up posting over there, as I apparently can't tell what is and is not an appropriate post for that forum.

I know you've had quite a lot of computer issues which you thought were HP issues, is that the kind of thing you mean?   

If you're doubtful about the source of the problem, you're probably right to post it in the other forums first, and then if it is a technical issue, other Hubbers will let you know, and you can either ask for the thread to be moved or go and report it with confidence. 

My problem with this particular thread is that it's not a report, it's just a complaint about "too many bugs".  There's absolutely no way staff can address that, even if it was in the right forum!   Also, if the OP had gone to the Technical forum, she would have found all the bugs had been reported and acknowledged.   So it is important to check that forum even if you're a bit nervous about using it yourself.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
              DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, yes, and no, Marisa.

I've pretty much got my computer issues squared away, and am running my protection and cleaning software much more often.

The kind of thing I am now referencing is where there is a particular problem that happens only on one site, (in this case, HP), and nowhere else I travel on the 'net.  That, I cannot ascribe to an issue with my own computer..

Edit:  and, just now, as I was posting this, it 'thought and thought, and thought,' and then I got a "webpage cannot be displayed" adivsory....so I figured the post failed to post.... 
              When I hit "reload" page, it did not..just sat there--hit "F-5" to refresh, and then got a dialog telling me the page was "in a redirect loop."

So, I closed it out entirely, re-entered the site, and lo and behold, the post WAS here...  so yes...bugs are crawling all over HP

....so I hope you're keeping an eye on the Technical section of the forums so you can see whether your problem is being experienced by others, and what the status of the problem is.  It doesn't solve the problem for you but at least you know it's being addressed.

2. Mark Ewbie profile image81
                Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is not working very well for me either. 

I have refreshed my motherboard and cleaned my mouse.  I bought Google Chrome from the local market and installed that along with Nortron security software from AliBaba.

My mate Dave had a look and he said it could be a worm or a virus.  He wrote a page about it on Squidoo but it has recently disappeared.

I asked Dave if posting about it on the HubPages site would help.  He said I would need to ask permission from the masters of the forum and make sure it was posted in EXACTLY the right place.  If there was already a thread about it I would get into quite serious trouble.

I told Dave that since I got banned I really didn't give a two-piece tuppenny...

12. LindaSmith1 profile image61

vineliner, back roads are full of something but it isn't bugs, maybe flies!

13. profile image0
    Bruce Kirklandposted 9 years ago

I can't figure out how to delete my account.  what is an email address for HP.  that they monitor?

team @ hubpages . com

2. Arachnea profile image65
      Arachneaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Here're links to information on how to close your acct:
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#closeaccount
      https://hubpages.com/my/profile/closeaccount

14. Shades-of-truth profile image81
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

Well, everyone, I just got a message when attempting to edit, that the editing tool was not available, and to check back in three minutes.

15. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Maintenance thing going on.

Looks like it. After I posted that, I was able to successfully edit the hub I was working on. Yea!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)