What's wrong?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (36 posts)
  1. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 9 years ago

It's a great hub. Why isn't it featured. It's well written, smart, high quality, intelligent, current, praiseworthy, and long enough.

http://nicomp.hubpages.com/hub/Buy-Office-Supplies

PS> Don't guess. If you don't know for sure, don't waste my time. Thanks!

1. profile image0
      calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know if you have kept up on HP announcements, but management has really tightened the rules for product-focused hubs and it now takes more work to get them featured.  Here is the most relevant staff announcement
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127831

Good luck.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

One thing I noticed is that you have a photo of the item and also an exact photo of it in the accompanying ad.  Try dropping one or the other...I assume you want to keep the one in the ad?  Both are a bit of overkill and are unnecessary.  I suspect this is your problem.  One other thing I feel is that you are writing about common products rather than unusual or special ones.  This may also be an issue.  Other than that, the article looks good.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This Hub appears to exist solely to sell products.
      As some others have mentioned, this makes it appear spammy.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#Spammy-Elements

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Matt has answered your question.  He's a staff member.

Your Hub is a classic sales Hub of the type which was all the rage on HubPages a few years ago.  The recent tightening of the rules means that it's no longer acceptable, because you're not offering anything of value really.   After all, who really needs advice on the best type of stapler?   

I agree with others that there are too many Amazon capsules.  Although HP allows 1 capsule per 100 words, in practice they don't want you to use that many.  I wish they would change it to 1 capsule per 200 words, which is more in line with what they seem willing to accept - it would avoid a lot of confusion.

5. peachpurple profile image81
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

you put in 6 ads in a hub, way too many, when I put in 3, my hub became unfeatured, I dropped one, left 2 ads in my hub, it became featured. In addition, you must explain the usage of the ads item, 100 words, don't use the amazon picture, find at pixabay. Must credit the photo, you did not. One of the mistakes too.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

It is perfectly fine to use the Amazon image, provided you have a link to the product.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

No one knows for sure but the powers that be.

That said it is a sales hub with no substantive information on it.  Probably considered a sales page/spammy.

3. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

I agree with Calculus-Geometry, that might be the problem.

4. lisavanvorst profile image63
    lisavanvorstposted 9 years ago

I feel this is an informative hub. However, hub editors might feel you are promoting products and that is why it is not featured.

5. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 9 years ago

Guessing. Everyone's guessing.

And insulting my writing. Sigh.

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image90
      Ramkitten2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Um, I would say that Matthew up there -- the one in yellow -- isn't just guessing. He's HP staff.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I would take the answer from Matthew Meyer as a fact and not a guess, as he is a staff member.

Of course the other answers are guesses, because the others who have answered are not HP staff. If you didn't want guesses, you should have emailed staff directly rather than going to the forums and asking fellow HP members, who can only guess. Based on Matthew Meyer's answer, it looks like many of the guesses were correct.

Who is insulting your writing? I see people telling you it is not your writing, but rather the type of hub that is the problem. HP has made policy changes regarding product sales hubs. Calculus-Geometry linked to the changes. Follow those changes and you will be fine.

3. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Oh look, my guess was right

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

lol

4. Shades-of-truth profile image81
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

nicomp, I did not see anyone insulting your writing, in the comments above. There are several typographical errors, though. Most of us who own businesses, already know how to purchase office supplies online. We all have need of staplers, and file organizers, etc.

It would be helpful, if your readers knew the reasons that you chose the particular items you showcased. Are they more durable than other brands? Do they save space? Are there special functions that they have, in comparison to other office supplies?

This is just an opinion, but when I look for supplies for our business online, I usually do a bit of research first, to determine which products are worth investing in. I found out the hard way, about good staplers. Several did not last a year. I would have appreciated reading reviews about them, but the ones I purchased were from an office supply house that did not offer review options.

It might be more beneficial, to let your readers know which products are really excellent - and why.

In this present electronic age, most business owners and office managers already have a "grip" on what is needed. What they want to know, is which products outperform others.

Again, this is simply an opinion, and the typos do need to be fixed.

6. How to - Answers profile image92
    How to - Answersposted 9 years ago

11 Amazon adverts is a no no.  It does go by the rule of 1 ad per 100 words but still spammy.  The hub itself is written well

7. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 9 years ago

Empty verbiage, which is grammatically incorrect in places. Definitely not "well written, smart, high quality, intelligent, current, praiseworthy" in my opinion.

For example, while I run a successful business from home, I do not need to be told I need a stapler. Maybe I do, maybe I don't, but really that is for me to decide and your content does nothing to influence my opinion. I certainly don't believe that "Every office is required to have several of these staplers scattered about for easy access. There might be a state law to that affect."  Affect?????  In the noun form, affect is a psychological condition.

Nor do I care that the Swingline Collectors Edition 747 Rio Red Business Stapler is "a pop culture icon". If anything that statement gives me the impression this product is a poor-quality, overpriced piece of garbage. I am however intrigued that  "it preforms stapling duties admirably". I'm breathless to know how one can preform a stapling activity! As for someone being ready to "admire your [my] taste in staple application devices" LOL, LOL, LOL!!! "staple application device" SNIGGER SNORT!

Sorry, but I find this hub laughable in the extreme.

You did ask for opinions...

nicompposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Empty verbiage, which is grammatically incorrect in places. Definitely not "well written, smart, high quality, intelligent, current, praiseworthy" in my opinion."

Sorry, you're incorrect. Grow a sense of humor and re-read it. Seriously. You need it. You'll feel better.

1. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean you want us to re-read it seriously? Or you seriously want us to re-read it. I'm confused.

8. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Victim: (laying on the street) Is there a doctor in the house? My chest really hurts.
    Bystander 1: I'm no expert, but I think your pain is coming from that truck parked on your torso.
    Bystander 2: I'd have to agree with this other bystander. You have what appears to be a tractor trailer at rest on your chest.
    Victim: Shove off hosers, I'm looking for an expert.
    Doctor: I'm a doctor, and I would have to agree with these other two bystanders. Your heart is being crushed by what appears to me, to be an 18 wheeler.
    Victim: (sigh) If it weren't for this pain in my chest, I'd point out how ridiculous you all sound, but for some reason I'm short of breath. Does anyone here have a stethoscope or possibly an aspirin?
    Doctor: Do you see a bright light?
    Victim: Yes.
    Doctor: Walk into it...

Umm... OK.

9. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 9 years ago

Based on these responses, in general, this site is seriously humor-challenged.

I, for one, am shocked and saddened.

We are not a community of Hemingways, people. Let's get over ourselves.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

So it was meant to be funny, was it?   I just read it again and sorry, it isn't.  It's meant to be a sales Hub.  True, it's well written in a light-hearted, chatty style but that doesn't conceal the fact that it offers no advice of any value. 

I don't see why you bother posting in the forums if you're so determined to ignore the advice everyone is giving you.  I'm assuming you haven't read the recent blog post about the crackdown on "spammy" sales Hubs, of which your Hub is a classic example.  So I suggest you shut up before you make a further fool of yourself, and go read it.

2. Shades-of-truth profile image81
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I believe everyone here gave you excellent advice, and Matthew Meyer even stopped by to help you. The best thing you can do, is to listen, and look at the article from an objective standpoint. The advice above, is correct.

10. MichaelMcNabb profile image60
    MichaelMcNabbposted 9 years ago

It is nothing but advertising

11. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 9 years ago
    1. Dom Begbour profile image66
      Dom Begbourposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You don't need to get angry when other people try helping you...

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Now you're just being silly, and you've obviously got enough intelligence to know better.

It's not about tolerance, it's about business. HubPages is a business.  They have changed the rules because they believe it's necessary for the site to survive, and that's their right.  Those rule changes mean your Hub is no longer suitable.   That's a fact, and no amount of whinging and smart-assing will change that.   

It's not as if it's deathly prose anyway, so why not get over it and move on?

I will try to stop whinging.

12. Uzochukwu Mike profile image78
    Uzochukwu Mikeposted 9 years ago

Nicomp, please write another hub and forget the former. I know it pains.

13. MichaelMcNabb profile image60
    MichaelMcNabbposted 9 years ago

I would certainly spend my time reading a hub that mimics an advertisement in my local newspaper.  NOT!

Yes, spend your time writing comments here instead.

14. nicomp profile image61
    nicompposted 9 years ago

BTW I wrote it 4 years ago.

1. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

FOUR YEARS AGO?!!

Was that the right reaction? I'm not sure.
      What about...

Ohhhh... FOUR years ago. I was thinking THREE.

Or maybe just...

Really? I can't believe it. I didn't even know that was a Hubpages four years ago.

I'm not sure which one of these was the proper response.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

You wrote it four years ago?  That doesn't surprise me at all.  Four years ago, that style of Hub was fine - in fact, HubPages encouraged it. 

The goalposts have moved several times since then, and the most recent move has rendered this Hub unacceptable.  The change has affected many of us.  That's life.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)