HubPages has clout!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (42 posts)
  1. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 9 years ago

Sometimes hubbers ask if HubPages is a good platform for showcasing your work as a writer. I received an email request a few days ago that I think shows the reach HP has:

Dear Ronald

Please could you consider this copyright permission request?
    Oxford University Press (OUP) requests permission to use text extracts adapted from “Henry Box Brown – The Slave Who Mailed Himself To Freedom” by Ronald E. Franklin, http://hubpages.com, 19 June 2013.
    Context of use: The text will be used as part of a language-learning exercise in a coursebook entitled… (“the Publication”). This is an international English Language Teaching coursebook for adults learning English at an upper-intermediate level.

All Media: The text may be used in all media including print, audio recording and electronic and all versions and supplemental publications based on the Publication; for example a teacher’s guide, workbook, Audio CD, CD-ROM, website or market-specific edition.

To me, this just affirms that an informative and well formatted hub looks very professional and can attract serious readers who wouldn't bother with lower quality material. In other words, HP rocks!

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is awesome, Ron.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good to hear it Ron. Keep up the great work!

3. Muttface profile image81
      Muttfaceposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Or maybe your hub rocks! That's amazing! Your words will be immortalised forever in an Oxford language textbook. It's a fascinating story too. Well done!

1. sallybea profile image93
        sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great outcome, very well done!

4. Kristen Howe profile image90
      Kristen Howeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How cool is that! Kudos Ron!

5. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Awesome!

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
      Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations.  Well deserved.

7. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

What interests me about this announcement, in addition to the fact that it even came about, is your Hubber score.  Everybody says these scores do not matter, but apparently they do reflect the quality of a person's work.  Kudos my friend.  Well done, and kudos to the HP team, also, for recognizing your talents.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
        LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yet one more reason to get rid of the profile scores...Good point!

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image76
      LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Alright for you...congrats!!!

9. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow, very cool! And you're right; one of the things I've always liked about HP, and why I've written most of my web articles here, is because of the professional look of the articles.

10. SusanDeppner profile image75
      SusanDeppnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Such exciting news! Congratulations, Ron!

11. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, Ron! Your work is exceptional and worthy of such recognition.

12. bonda profile image42
      bondaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed ron, it rocks, just when i was feeling lethargic.  Great validation.

13. F S Miller profile image69
      F S Millerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Excellent! Thanks for posting this.

2. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Great news, Ron. I think it has more to do with your amazing work and ability to get searched and noticed. The take away, as you said, is that we all need to strive for creating well-written, well-formatted hubs and we, too, can receive the far reaching recognition of our work that we deserve. Kudos to you for being a top-notch writer on HP. You make HP look good. smile You rock!

3. RonElFran profile image96
    RonElFranposted 9 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

Ron, you have such an impressive list of hubs on your profile!  I'm looking forward to reading your hub.  I have it open in my browser to read later this evening.  Congrats! 

And I'm sure no one will mind if I post the link: http://hubpages.com/hub/Henry-Box-Brown … o-Freedom!

5. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

Wonderful news, Ron. Congratulations for your excellence in writing being noticed and published with honor.

6. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 9 years ago

What an honor.  Congratulations!

7. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 9 years ago

ROFL. You sound so surprised, Ron!

Can you see now why I said what I did when you asked me about your writing? There is no doubt you're an excellent writer ... and a worthy 100! wink

Of course, if they use your text on a website it will become 'copied content', so you'll have to discuss that with them. Maybe they'll let you know before they put it online, or perhaps they'd just be using a small part online. Either way, I'm sure you'll work it out.

Congratulations, Ron. I'm very happy for you.

1. RonElFran profile image96
      RonElFranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, LTM. The amount of text they'll be using isn't a large enough portion of the article to trigger any filters (I hope!).

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
        LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

... and hopefully they'll be including a link to the hub for those who want to read more. smile

8. Jason Marovich profile image88
    Jason Marovichposted 9 years ago

Congratulations, sir!

9. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image82
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

It is a good news.

10. chef-de-jour profile image97
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

Good news, well done. Attracting quality readership isn't easy but you've managed to hook Oxford no less, a big fish.Your consistently well written articles prove that it is possible.

11. Millionaire Tips profile image89
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

Great job! Congratulations! You've done a great public service - now students will be able to learn not only about English but also history with your words.

12. Shades-of-truth profile image81
    Shades-of-truthposted 9 years ago

As usual, excellent, Ron!

13. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

That's great, Ron!

Are they paying you a one-time fee to use your work in their education program, or do you get a residual since it's being used for an ongoing class?

1. Writer Fox profile image31

I don't think the publisher would appreciate his posting that kind of information on a public forum and I hope Ron doesn't answer yes or no here.

1. relache profile image72
        relacheposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I didn't ask how much he's being paid. 

But if he's not being paid at all, that's not right.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

It's not uncommon for that type of publication to not offer payment.

2. LongTimeMother profile image92
        LongTimeMotherposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you, Writer Fox. One of the fastest ways to alienate a publisher is to discuss anything to do with payment in public like this. Particularly having identified the publisher by name!

Keep quiet on payment terms please, Ron. Any publisher who is interested in your work, now or in the future, needs to be confident you'll protect their interests. smile

14. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

CONGRATS! The copyright users should be told, that you should receive a portion of any monies made from the copyrighted material in whole or in part of any form, at anytime and or whatever it is a part of. Pardon me if I sound like a lawyer.

15. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

Well done Ron. You deserve it, and it is an inspiration for the rest of us that it is worthwhile writing here.

16. Emese Fromm profile image90
    Emese Frommposted 9 years ago

Congratulations! This is such great news to share.  I just looked at your hubs and I can tell immediately that this honor is so well deserved! Thank you for sharing your success story with the rest of us.

17. CatherineGiordano profile image76
    CatherineGiordanoposted 9 years ago

You do great work. I'm glad you got recognized for it.

18. profile image0
    Jill Mooreposted 9 years ago

That is wonderful news. Well done.

1. ologsinquito profile image83
      ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations. I'm not surprised, because you are an excellent writer.

19. junecampbell profile image71
    junecampbellposted 9 years ago

Wonderful accolade and well deserved.

20. Rota profile image80
    Rotaposted 9 years ago

What a great validation of your writing. Congratulations!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)