Tell me where YOU write and what the area looks like.....

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (56 posts)
  1. MissJamieD profile image56
    MissJamieDposted 14 years ago

I have a Post-It note on the wall next to my computer (along with several other flourescent squares of paper) to remind me to ask all of you what YOUR writing area looks like? If you could share a picture that would be awesome, but just tell us where you write. How organized or dis-organized are you? How do YOU take notes for hubs and other writings?

Thanks everyone, I love your responses!!

MissJamieD

2. Elynjo profile image60
    Elynjoposted 14 years ago

Converted one of our spare bedrooms to a computer room. I have a medium size executive mahogany table and a swivel chair. The room is facing North, my view is the desert mountain. I can be obsessive-compulsive sometimes, so you can say that the room is tidy.

MissJamieDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I bet that's an amazing and serene view...I'm so jealous:)

3. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I usually just type it on my laptop whilst lying on top of my bed, tis relaxing and I find it more peaceful away from the television etc.

I agree, I hate the tv on in the background, but with grunyons running around, it's hard to escape, plus I'm limited as to where I can have my computer...but I can't complain, at least I GET to write:) Thanks for sharing!

4. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

http://hubpages.com/u/1094849_f520.jpg

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice set up Misha.

I have moved my desk to the middle of the living room, it looks out on the city.

That sounds so exciting and mesmerizing! At different times of day, the scene is completely different. That's an amazing resource for those [writer's block] days...thanks for sharing!

2. MissJamieD profile image56

I love the dual screen you got going on....what is the purpose and how can I get one??? lol

Thank you for sharing a picture, I love it! It looks a lot like mine. I've seen much worse, and you probably know where everything is (or close to it) don't you?

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dual screen is for obvious reasons - more screen real estate. It just takes two monitors and a video card which can run them together. smile

And, yeah, I just love my clutter and never get lost there tongue

Wow, I love the two monitor thing. I'm going to look into that, I never knew it was an option. I mean, I've seen it before but I didn't realize how handy it would come in for everyday life as well:) Thanks again Misha!

3. B.T. Evilpants profile image60
      B.T. Evilpantsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The apple is a nice touch! You must have moved the bag of cheetos out of frame lol!

For me, I have two teenagers running around, so the house is never quiet. I just sit on the sofa with my laptop. Over the years, I have become quite adept at tuning things out. Unfortunately, "things" sometimes includes my wife (accidentally, of course). When that happens, she definitely knows how to get my attention!

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL BT, I had to look cheetos up! No, this is not my kind of snack. Dry salami works much better for me, even though my wife keeps thinking it hurts my health lol

BT..lol..that's funny. Unfortunately my ADD does not allow me to tune outside noises out....I wish I could, trust me:) But you're lucky to be able to do that. I'm not saying I'm unable to write around noise (obviousely with kids it's impossible) but it's difficult to tune out the arguing, the "MOM!'s", and the television. lol  But I make them go outside to play or to their rooms to read or to the library. I allow them plenty of time to relax and watch tv but when they start taking advantage, that's my writing time dammit! lol Thanks for sharing:)

5. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Thanks Susan, and I have a glass door and glass wall to the right, facing the driveway and forest behind smile

6. dwilliamson profile image60
    dwilliamsonposted 14 years ago

I have my computer desk in the corner of my living room right beside my front window. Right out the front window, I can see a mountain and lots of times I see mountain sheep right out my window. I also have a little netbook and I sit in my lazy boy chair with my heating pad on when my back pain gets too unbearable, which, by the way, is where I am sitting right now. When I am sitting in my lazy boy I can see the mountain as well. I can also see our front lawn and have seen a pair of robins looking for dew worms for the past couple of months now.

That sounds so beautiful! I only got to see real mountains for the first time, this January! Can you believe it? I flew (for the first time) to Oregon to meet my [new-found] half-siblings. It was the most amazing trip ever, but I remember clearly, the four big mountains as we prepared to land in Portland...I didn't know what any of them were until the man next to me pointed them out. There was St. Helens, Sisters, and two other ones that towered over the clouds. I'll never forget it. thansk for sharing hon:)

7. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Great question!
    I'm 100% with BC99 on this one.
    I write on a laptop.
    Favorite place to curl up is on my bed. From there I have a view of the park behind our house. Depending on the season, the trees provide a lush green curtain (as currently), a riot of red leaves growing thinner by the week, or the outline of stark black branches proffering a panoramic view staight through to the other side of the park.
    Usually one or more of my feline muses is here with me.

MM, thanks so much for sharing this:) I love parks and I assume you're in a cooler part of the nation. I'm in MN and I too enjoy the changing leaves, or are you just talking about everything blooming in Spring? Either way, it sounds wonderful! I love kitties too, I miss my Pepper Ann. She'd keep my lap warm while I sat in my chair. She's gone now but someday I'll have another when I'm living somewhere that allows me. Nice to hear from you MM:)

8. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I converted my son's old bedroom into a creative space where I do all of my writing.  I redecorated it the first weekend in March.  I love it!

1. Laughing Mom profile image61
      Laughing Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very cool, KCC.  Do we get to see pictures?

That sounds like so much fun! I love re-doing rooms after awhile, I get bored! I bet that was exciting:) It's good that you could use your son's room and not be too attached to leave it like some parents, in the exact way they left it before going to college. 10 years later the daughter-in-law comes to see the house and his jockstrap is still hanging from the bedpost...yuck! lol...thanks for sharing KCC:)

2. LondonGirl profile image82
        LondonGirlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of KCC's sons (I don't know if this is the same one, but it's likely) died in a tragic accident.

1. Lisa HW profile image63
          Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What an awful thing (needless to say).  Is there a way someone will be able to find out for sure if it's the same?

9. profile image0
    LAmatadoraposted 14 years ago

My spot is in my living room in a corner by the outside entryway. I can see the trees and the grass through the glass, sitting from the desk and hear the birds chirping. My desk in not huge but it has the computer, printer, phone, speakers and a Scarface figure(that talks)on it! And just above the desk on the wall is a poster size portrait (modeling) of yours truly!!! smile

That sounds so sweet:) Are you a model? I always wanted to get a professional pic done of myself but thought that others would think I was bragadocious...I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the same thought...is it just a pic of you being sweet, or sexy? Just curious because I have always wanted a sexy pic of myself to put up in my room or something, but I wouldn't want the kids to see.....lol. Thanks for sharing hon:)

10. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I love my little computer desk because, since I spend so much time at it, I made it very much "mine".  smile  It's between my living room and dining room, so I wanted a small,dark wood, unobstrusive, desk.  I get the window light but don't face windows.  I make up for no view by keeping the desk appealing.   On it I just have the keyboard, a tiny pot of pink silk flowers, a couple of unobtrusive phones, a notepad and notebook (the paper kind), a pretty pen, and a couple of classical music CD's.  On the shelf under the keyboard I have a row of books (history, economics) I've been working on (small, beige, globe, book-end).   Up near the monitor I have a tiny bronze Liberty bell pencil sharpener.   Oh - and usually a pretty (and big) mug of light coffee.  There's also my pale lilac hand weights to keep things from getting too sedentary.  The chair is a straight dining-room chair (to make the desk look more "home-y".

Thanks for sharing Lisa! That sounds very nice:) Doesn't your butt get sore on those chairs? lol

11. LondonGirl profile image82
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

In my study at home, mostly. I have a pink desk, a blue desk chair, monitor keyboard and mouse on the desk, and box on the floor, tucked out of the way. Built-in shelves on the right contain my printer and ghetto-blaster. And lots of books (-: From my windows, on the corner of the flat building, I can see two Bloomsbury streets and a garden square.

Sometimes at Chambers - where I share a room with another barrister. We both have enourmous desks, lots of shelves, and a view over the courtyard to the main (Georgian) Chambers building.

12. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I have a 8X8 room which is dual-purpose...sewing and computer projects get done in here, lol all four walls covered either with shelves full of research & reference or sewing books ... one corner with my computer another for my sewing and supplies and even have a stereo in here which I will blast when I am in here and usually get kicked out by my sons if they need the computer for a few minutes here and there, lol...I get the rising sun in here and can hear birds and my yappy dogs hmm big_smile

Size doesn't matter, does it Dame? lol...thanks for sharing with us hon:)

13. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

I write on my laptop, usually when reclined on my bed. Which is in a smallish room that's filled with the usual bedroom furniture. To my front is a large mirror, right, wardrobe. Left is a chest of drawers and a large window above - from which I can see other apartments, lots of trees and my young neighbours ... who I think don't realise that light on = goldfish bowl smile I'm not organised and I never make hub-notes. I just write. I'm also surrounded with framed photos of my children - and always accompanied by Lemmy, a stuffed toy Lemur big_smile

That sounds very comfortable and sweet:) I'm totally disorganized! It's my ADD, it can be ugly...lol...I take notes because I would totally forget some of the topics I want to write about, if I didn't. But even though I have about 6 Post-It's on the wall beside me, they've been there for a few days and I haven't taken initiative as of yet. Thanks for sharing froggy:)

14. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

MissJamie, you're most welcome smile

15. Silver Freak profile image61
    Silver Freakposted 14 years ago

On my laptop, on my bed, cat on or beside mr, facing wall of paperbacks, dryer rumbling, washer swishing, when it works, TV in other room blabling when hubby is home.

Coffee on bedside table, scented candle usually burning, attic fan rumbling.

Cigarette tucked between index and middle fingers of either hand, ashtray beside bed, earphones on head or around neck, sketch pad or scrap paper and pencil close to hand on left side of bed.

Other cat walking across lap and flopping on me/laptop and purring furiously when I pause to scratch her.

As for pictures, forget it! My hands shake too bad and there's too many unfinished sewing projects exploding from boxes on dressers and shelves. Lots of color!

Sounds like you have your hands full with your kitties! lol...I miss my kitty cat:( I love the descriptives you used here. Thanks so much for sharing!

16. dineane profile image82
    dineaneposted 14 years ago

I write all over :-) I have an "office" but I move around the house with my laptop while working and writing - usually end up in the garage (where I am now) so I can indulge in my nicotine habit (I don't smoke in the house). Sometimes the tv is on, sometimes not. I do usually need to be alone to write, though...husband and daughter interrupt, and I lose my train of thought. I also like to grab my journal or a notebook and drive to a park or something now and then...actually, I shouldn't admit it, but back in the days when I traveled for work and/or commuted, I occassionally scribbled while on cruise control - it was usually difficult to decipher my handwriting afterwards, since I *did* keep my eye on the road :-)

I'm so jealous that so many of you have laptops. I NEED one soooo badly! My internet is through my cable company so the computer has to be by a television. The only place in my small townhome to keep it, is right next to the tv! Boy does that suck!

That's crazy that you would write and drive! But I've thought to myself so many times, "I wish I had a notebook to write this stuff down.." It's a Catch 22 I guess...thanks so much for sharing! btw, I totally understand the nicotine thing, another reason why I need to find me a nice, rich man that will buy me a laptop....or I'll just go to college, get a good job, and get my own!!

17. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

In the dinning room I have a table where I keep my laptop.  I can listen to TV in the background if I like, or get up and do dishes since the kitchen is adjacent.  I would have a room devoted to my computer, but I live in an apartment and space is limited.

Yes, I totally get the limited space issue. I just commented to dineane about my computer being right by my tv because it's the only place I can put it. I hate it! If I had another room to go to, I wouldn't be irritated by interruptions so much. I mean, I have to be around for the kids obviously, but it would be nice when baby's napping, to be able to go to a room and shut the door and write. Thanks for sharing Sweetie!

1. SweetiePie profile image82
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I can turn off the tv when my sister is not home, but she likes to hear it in the background.  My number one distraction is tv shows.  I commend you for being able to type with kids because when I watched my niece and nephew I was always busy, so I wonder how parents do it.

18. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 14 years ago

I'm going to stick a post-it note on my monitor to come back to this thread once the hubchallenge is done and post a screenshot of my work area.

19. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Do not feel bad MissJaimie smile I don't have a laptop either..I would never see it tongue as one of my kids would run off with it lol or bat their eyelashes sayin, 'I love you mom' n ask for it, lol wink

omg, you're so right about that..lol

20. profile image0
    MakeHimKnown94posted 14 years ago

Well, I write in my mother's bedroom (guys, guys, I'm only fifteen, come on) but I find it's not where you are writing, it's... what you're eating while you're writing haha. Without a Lipton White Tea, I just can't do it!

Glad to meet you hon. Thanks for sharing! I have to have a can of Coke to make it through my writing, I understand where you're coming from:)

21. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

SweetiePie"

"Sometimes I can turn off the tv when my sister is not home, but she likes to hear it in the background.  My number one distraction is tv shows.  I commend you for being able to type with kids because when I watched my niece and nephew I was always busy, so I wonder how parents do it."

Three words:   Midnight to three.    smile

When my three kids were little I'd often use the above hours to do any number of work-related things (after doing house-related things between their bed-time and midnight).  Of course, I lived exhausted for about ten years, but who needs sleep....   smile

1. SweetiePie profile image82
      SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I am up during those hours, so if I ever have kids maybe I can adjust smile.  Sometimes I sleep all night, sometimes I take a nap earlier in the night and get up for a few hours.

22. IndianaMom profile image61
    IndianaMomposted 14 years ago

I'm in the absolute worst room of the house to be in - the kitchen!  I have my laptop set up in the corner on a shaky old stand, and I sit on one of my dining room chairs.  Not the most comfortable nor productive setup.  The bigger issue for me, however, is that everything in the refrigerator and the pantry is right there.  Not good.  My waistline is telling me that I need to relocate - the sooner, the better!

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image61
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just wanted to say -- yeah Indiana!!

I'm from Indiana, so I had to say hello to a fellow Hoosier...carry on. smile

23. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I work off my laptop and go where the sun is.  Today, I'm out at the park (literally) and I run back to the house to recharge the batteries.  During cool spring days, I spend my time in a room in the lower level which has large windows that face the forest.  For those terrible cold dreary winter days, well, I work in a bedroom with an nice cup of hot chocolate while great music plays in the background.

24. Raven King profile image59
    Raven Kingposted 14 years ago

On my laptop sipping coffee or tea. Today the winds are 50 mph. I look out at a tree less wonderland, elevation 5000 feet smoky air and snow capped mountains.
    My tomato seedlings are indoors safe from the wind and cold.

25. eric2112 profile image69
    eric2112posted 14 years ago

I have 2 work areas really. My first is our second bedroom which is pretty much the computer room for now. Its a decent spot with a nice desk. I use dual monitors so that I can research on one screen and take notes on the other. It's very convenient.

My second workspace is wherever I set my laptop. I often write hubs at work while I am on lunch <grins>. It's definitely not as peaceful there, but it does get the job done so to speak.

I don't have a good view of the outside at either location, but I would probably just get distracted and daze out anyway.

Happy Hubbing!!

26. Solorya profile image69
    Soloryaposted 14 years ago

I usually write in 3 spots. I get an idea while at work and start it there. Then I feel guilty and stop and pick it up at home on my laptop. I've got this old mahogany desk from the 40's that's my haven. I usually get close to done, then head to my bed and finish it up there, shoving the laptop under my bed before I go to sleep so my dog doesn't step on it. :-)

27. Pete Maida profile image61
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

This is an interesting question.  I have to give two answers.  Where I actually write is not always where I create.  Many of my hubs and most of my fiction stories are created in bed just before I go to sleep or just as I'm waking up.  I let my mind go to an idea and work on it.  I write in an upstairs bedroom turned into a computer room.  I have my desk top on one side and my laptop on the other.  The laptop is only used when my wife or a visitor needs the desk top.  The computer room is the warmest place in the house; my wife finds it stuffy so she uses her laptop downstairs most of the time.  This makes me king of the room; until she says otherwise.  I spend many hours here writing, and reading.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)