Why, Why, Why are they like that?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (29 posts)
  1. emievil profile image66
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Just want to rant about something. I was just talking to somebody (not from hubpages) and I was telling her about hubpages and my plans for the future (which also includes hubpages). Suddenly, she said that maybe I should stop doing this because it doesn't really earn much. Then she mentioned her friend who said that he is earning "peanuts" on blogging (not even hubbing). When I asked how long he has been doing this thing, the answer was "not long". 

Question is, why do some people put down what I am doing on the basis of such conversations with other people who were disillusioned by blogging / hubbing / online writing? Is this really a normal or an ordinary occurrence? Anybody care to answer this?

1. warchild75 profile image64
      warchild75posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ignorance and a lack of understanding my friend!!

2. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On the whole, people are stupid and will take anything that fits their preconceived notions as gospel. I made $140k last year from "blogging," so will continue to do it. There are prices to pay, such as sitting on your ass all day getting fat, but.....

I heartily recommend not disillusioning her. The less people involved, the more money there is. lol

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ramen smile

2. livewithrichard profile image71
        livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Listen to Mark, he's right, but it takes a while to get things moving, just like anything else.  I own 8 websites, all started around the time I started here(4 months or less) one is earning a steady $40 a day and two others near $15.  3 of my sites are not monetized but they bring me leads for my dayjob which earns me around what Mark earns.  Hopefully in a year or two of working these sites I can replace my day job and do as Mark says, sit on my ass all day and get fat, lol though I don't think my fiance will allow that to happen...the fat thing that is.

3. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For some people they find it hard to comprehend, and lets forget about it being 'bloggging' or 'hubbing', that others can earn money working from home. Or others can make money from creative pursuits. And particularly when they managed to do BOTH.

I have a cousin (by marriage, so I haven't known him all that long) who is a university lecturer, but he prefers to do his research and writing at home, rather than in the office. Because at home he isn't interrupted by students. There are members of the family who don't understand that when he's in the home office that he's working.

I know he's working. Because he's got a Facebook account and he rarely posts on his or anyone elses pages big_smile

Family (both mine and my wife's) don't actually hassle me at all. Maybe because I have seen a measure of success. They see that I have money coming in.

Maybe when people see you on the computer a lot and ask what you're doing you should just tell them that you're wasting your time playing online games. Maybe they can handle that big_smile

4. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Do not let your friends put you In a box because of their negativity ! Writing like any other skill has to be nurtured and practiced . Which Is not to say I am that great at It . However I get alot of enjoyment from hangin around HP . And this Is supposed to be fun too ! Most people barter their dreams for security . I say do what you love . I dont write on hubpages with thoughts of makin bookoo bucks , I do this because I enjoy It ! Sounds like your blogging friend was expecting Immediate gratification . The world I live In does not work that way !

5. beautyrose profile image60
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think no one can stop you from hubbing if you are enjoying it even if you don't earn much money. But thinking also that there is money in hubpages as what others have said for people who have been here already for  2 or 3 years  in hubpages somehow fuel you to hub harder just to earn money also. Now comparing others who are earning in hubpages  somehow it makes the person feel frustrated and might as well drop hubpages maybe that's what your friend's point. For me I'm staying in Hubpages cause after work I have nothing to do and I'm just practically bored. But to be honest I'am paying more of my internet server than hubbing. So if you only practically use your computer on hubpages and have accumulated internet bill well you might as well drop hubbing. But right now even if I'm not earning yet I will still hub since I also use computer  as as a way of  communication to my bother and sister  who works outside the country.

1. tony0724 profile image61
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this
        1. beautyrose profile image60
          beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh thank you tony

6. GeneralHowitzer profile image66
      GeneralHowitzerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I care emievil.

Sometimes its not the earning that keeps you writing, its about the joy and excitement that you can get doing them (the hubs), I havent earn even a single cent yet although I have 3000 views already in 5 weeks. I just applied for a google adsense a week ago, and thta doednt bother me at all. If you'll earn doing this then thats good, if not its up to you. The pleasure of doing hubs for me is already great and the money I could extract doing hubs is secondary...

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Direct your antagonizers to this link.  It will help them to see the light.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/post/285659

3. Cls1321 profile image60
    Cls1321posted 14 years ago

several weeks ago I decided that I am soon going to be starting a plan to pay off my college through hubpages.

I told one person this and got laughed out loud at ... what got me most was "don't get your hopes up".

why do people accept being "average", Some people just don't try because they doubt every good thing in life it seems. Some people just think they HAVE to go school, take out 100,000 in loans, live their 20-30's in debt, work a 9-5, retire... live an average life....die. LOL it gets me sometimes, people just don't TRY to change.

ANYTHING can be done if the work is put into it ... uhg I'll stop ranting on your thread but yes I know what you mean emi, some people just don't get it I suppose, they have too many doubts. Do your thing, be successful, and look back and laugh.

4. Linki Sponsorowan profile image60
    Linki Sponsorowanposted 14 years ago

I really like you guys wink

5. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

No matter what you choose to pursue, there will be naysayers and detractors. Success very rarely occurs quickly or easily. It will never occur for someone with a limiting, negative mindset. Athletes, actors, entrepreneurs....not one of them will tell you that everyone believed in them along the way and supported them in their pursuits. You'll more likely hear them say that people doubted, chastised, and condescended to them as they struggled to make it in their field. They were probably told more than once that they may as well throw in the towel. If they had listened, they would be commiserating with those haters now about how unfair the world is and how life dealt them a crappy hand because of (insert blame here).
    Don't change who you are or what you want for yourself! Those who really care about you will want to enjoy the ride with you. Let the others eat your dust! smile

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Somebody said that writers are not conformists ... big_smile spose we fit that hat huh

7. Shadesbreath profile image76
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

People tried to tell me I would never be the supreme emperor of the universe too, but I showed them.  Just proves people don't know wtf they are talking about.

8. yoshi97 profile image56
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

People laughed twenty years ago when I said I was going to be a computer technician ... I still see those people today ... I fix their computers.

There is the same limiter installed into each of us upon birth ... it's called the doubt engine, and its fueled by our fears, as well as the lack of belief from others.

Is the doubt engine a bad thing? Certainly not! The doubt engine tells me I can't fly off a mountain by flapping my arms ... I consider that a good thing, lest I should someday try. Still, there are times when the doubt engine fails us and tells us we can't do things we actually could.

The rule of thumb is ... if others can do it, then we must assume it is possible for us to do so, provided we are given the same tools and training to work with. As such, if people are making money on Hubpages, then we need to discover how they do it and emulate their work.

The secrets I can share aren't really secrets ... Research your keywords for ones that could profit, write good quality hubs on those keyword topics, sprinkle those keywords into your hubs gently, write articles on other sites that are related (but not the same) and link them to your hubs, link related hubs together, and always be an informative hub for your readers.

Is that all there is to know? No, but it's a good start. With those few keys the rest will arrive to you logically.

And, oh yes, you will also need patience.

Of course, there are those who will dive in at full speed and see a momentary success, only to see it all ebb away. Th trick is to step into the water slowly and methodically, constantly evaluating every ripple you cause as you get in. Find out what works and what doesn't and constantly hone your process until it becomes an art ... then keep producing masterpieces.

Any hubber that does all that will meet with success, but it could take up to a year for it to all happen, depending one one's abilities. Patience is a virtue in this game, which is why many fail. Of course, impatience is just as bad.

If this is what you truly want to do, then write a few hubs and see if some money trickles in. Then, write a few more. If you keep seeing more money trickle in, then you have fallen into the groove and continue more hubs, as by now you have the knack.

And what if nothing happens for you after several months? Then, at that time, you can reevaluate and decide if you want to continue, but at least then you will know you have tried ...

9. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

You just cant let people like that get to you.  In fact I dont make everything with blogging but last year my partner and I made over 70k from online earnings and there are still people who laugh at us.

One of the first things I train people who decide to work with me is that they really have to ignore the people who are negative.

Just keep going and dont worry about those people.  I was lucky, my wife believed in me from the very first second even though I had a lot of mistakes before I got to where I am now.

10. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Jealousy, keep on going and let knowing stop you from what you love and hold dear to your heart. smile

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you around AEvans! You bring a lot of beauty and light to this place!!!!

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My computer decided to be naughty and my husband is quite ill, thank you for the wonderful comment and I am definitely happy to be back.smile

1. earnestshub profile image80
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

AEvans, I am sorry it was not the other way around!

11. nikitasnow2 profile image60
    nikitasnow2posted 14 years ago

the club theory, the club put in one busket will try to help each other, but as soon as one of the clubs try to move out of the busket, the others pull it down.
    this ia what i am saying, when ever you try to make a step in life, there will be people who will always try to pull you back, and they will tell you, how you can not make it.
    the solution is to refresh your determinatio, when they tell you no. you tell yourself a big yes.
    http://hubpages.com/_2c6wkkifevjqt/hub/ … -tip-shape

12. kmackey32 profile image65
    kmackey32posted 14 years ago

I think some people do not want to see you successful. Just jealousy.

13. emievil profile image66
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your replies. I typed this post around after midnight last night so I wasn’t able to stick around to read them. I was just getting ready to reply to this thread when wham! The lights went out! (I really hate it when that happens). Electricity’s back on now so here goes:

In fairness to the one who commented, hubbing (in particular) and earning on the internet (in general) are two relatively new things here in my country so I can’t really say we are really “exposed” to people who are really doing it and earning a lot. I think I’m the only one earning online among my circle of friends (and not from Hubpages, yet) so their exposure is kind of limited. Added to that is that I am not the best authority on online earnings so I guess my earnings are not “convincing” enough for them smile.

That said, there are really some people who are stubborn and do not want to take the time to understand what we are doing here. I can show them MK’s, pgrundy’s, Lissie’s hubs / posts and blogs and still they won’t understand, so I guess I can just save myself that trouble. And all of you guys are right, I’ll just do what I want to do, stick around here in hubpages and learn more about keywords, SEOs and stuff and write, write, write. Oh and learn to ignore them too! smile

Thanks everyone!

1. jiberish profile image80
      jiberishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's a dog's world. smile

14. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Do whatever makes you happy!  Don't worry what others think!

15. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Not much I can add to the wonderful advice that has been offered already. The motivational poster "Don't let the turkeys get you down" comes to mind, tho.
    I believe people tend to put down things they don't understand. Besides, there are benefits to hubbing beyond the pennies we make on Adsense:-). Seriously! MM

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)