2 suggestions

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (54 posts)
  1. Jerrico Usher profile image56
    Jerrico Usherposted 16 years ago

Paul would it be possible to make pictures clickable, i.e. you could add a feature in the capsule to make the picture clickable so if your picture was about another hub they could click the picture and it woudl take them to the other hub or web address etc.. or add a way to add a link in the same area as the picture caption for the same idea?

second thing.. how can we add music to our page (that loads automatically)? if theirs no way can we have one added? I want to play a midi (an alluring one thats only 3 k but plays a symphony of sublime utopia rythms) can we get this feature/choice or is their a way to put one in there?

thanx in advance for your response

Jerrico

1. relache profile image67
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I hope this is NEVER EVER allowed at HubPages. 

Jerrico, I'm guessing you missed my post to another thread where you talked about this, and I mentioned that Yahoo will automatically downgrade any pages that do this in their listings, and that it's the #1 most user-complained about feature (meaning web users hate it). 

I'm not making that stuff up BTW.  I'm good friends with a man who works at Yahoo, and he actually is one of the guys who works on their search algorithm and spam filtering.

Jerrico Usherposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to read that thread (unless it has no new info than you put here).. I figured out a cleavery way to do the music that is actually more appealing  I could create a youtube video, upload my retail music (so I can use a whole song and make a video to highlight it (meditative scapes I created) then at the top of the hub I could offer them the atmosphere choice..(this one that one or that one.. each having a different atmosphere that would compliment the page (as I show them how to meditate or whatever), then if they want they can hear it and read while it plays.. this is great because it can easily be seen with my picture text header thing and it wont affect anything google yahoo etc.. so it resolves it but gives them a choice to hear it or not.. (I always find a way to make it work lol hehe)

2. mathan1234 profile image61
        mathan1234posted 16 years agoin reply to this

I absolutely agree. Auto-loading midi is very Geocities from1995. Auto-loading music on a page is a huge pet peeve of mine, and many other people.

Sorry.  smile

2. Peter M. Lopez profile image69
    Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years ago

Ditto on the clickable images.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I am with relache on this. I automatically NEVER visit a site that has music that plays when you open the page.

4. Peter M. Lopez profile image69

Ditto Mark and relache on the music.

Still, Ditto on the clickable images.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58

I can take or leave the clickable images. It's easy enough to add a link capsule underneath the photo and as jimmythejock pointed out in another thread, his adsense earnings have gone up since he stopped offering lots of reasons to leave the page.

6. Peter M. Lopez profile image69

Good advice Mark, I hadn't thought of that (giving them reasons to leave).  Thanks.

I wonder if you guys, as seasoned and brilliantly attentive as you are could enlighten me as to a list of thingst hat make someone leave a page.. maybe you all can make a few suggestions in this area? is their a hub that consolidates the top reasons etc..? I'm on a deep learning curve and you got me curious when you brought this up smile

1. Lissie profile image76
        Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Music -  I don't care whether its relevant in your opinion -I as a reader can't stand background music
        Websites which assume inside knowledge to navigate - govt websites are really bad for this !
        Lots and lots of different fonts/colours - like a lot of sales letters have  - we went thru that stage when the bosses learnt how to use Word and had no idea that having more than one font in a paragraph makes it hard to scan!
        Sites which start with an intro - particularly a heavy graphic intro , double especially the ones that don't let me skip it!
        Too many photos which load slowly before the text - though firefox helps this - photos don't need to anything more than low res on the web

1. caspar profile image60
          casparposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely - Flash-based sites which often start with a slow-loading fancy show-off intro make me see red and hit the back button. 

Also, sites which start with a screen where you have to click (usually some tiny link or something hidden in a picture) to "Enter this Site".  I'm already at your site - show me some content NOW or I'll be hitting that back button PDQ. yikes

I don't mind sites with music as an option (click to hear whatever) but starting music immediately the page begins to load is an absolute no-no (many people are surfing in the office while pretending to work).

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
            Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I think that's the #1 reason why sites with music are a bad idea.  I used to do most of my surfing at work before I got broadband at home, and there were plenty of sites that I crossed permanently off my list, because they played music.

what would myspace pages be without a loading song??? lol I have a juke box on mine.. but thats a different kind of page I know.. What I wanted to do wasnt for so much background music it was for a specific hub on meditation, what better way to get them all gitty and relaxed than to play a sound scape to bring it out like a movie brings out your articles point.. it is better that they play it though because subconciousely they will feel more inclined to listen as they chose it..

7. thooghun profile image90
    thooghunposted 16 years ago

Music on web-pages, in particular the nonesensicle random midi music that crown some of the worst web-pages I've had the displeasure of visiting.

Honestly, imo, there is no greater turn-off!

I think a yeast infection is more of a turn off than a midi website smile

8. Jerrico Usher profile image56

i didnt know that about the yahoo thing.. so I guess its good no music. as for the music being the annoyance of a page I disagree, its not the music but the kind of music you choose, the music I had was very captivating like an atmosphere track, in fact I had for my meditation CD site an actual mp3 playing an atmosphere scape (my hottest selling rain/ocean scape clip that just looped a tiny peice of it that sounded very alluring, I got more traffic when I put that there and alot of compliments.. I believe it has alot to do with the type of page you have, if your looking for mediation and land on a beautiful page with rainscapes on it it enhances your experience.. midi pages of old were incredibly annoying but lately their has been a rash of really nice ones.  I think this is a complaint because of the lack of awareness on the web designer to pick the right sound, music doesnt work on all pages and I was only wanting to use a tiny clip or specific midi on a hub I wanted to create about meditation so music fit the theme.. but this is just my opinion.. I likethe idea of putting the link using the link capsule, forgot about that one smile

9. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 16 years ago

I think what they're speaking about in terms of giving people reasons to leave is adding other links and clickable things (links and such). Which is what I believe Mark is referring to when you ask about clickable pictures.

As for music, I would prefer them not on any website I make or visit. I think I've only run across a VERY small handful of sites that add music well. It must be very low volume that blends in with the content of hte site. I've run across many sites that include loud, boisterous music that tends to be completely uncalled for.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that's what I understood too.  When I first started on HubPages, I thought having lots of links to other sites was a good thing.  And I'm still a bit perplexed, because one of the criteria for a Flagship Hub is to have lots of links.  But JimmytheJock definitely said he was doing better without them.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

One of the things that google uses to rank a page is the quality of outgoing links as well as incoming. It's a balancing act and only google know the rules. smile

2. embitca profile image83
        embitcaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You'll find that what's good for the reader and what's good for making money are two different things. This is just one example. If you're looking to build something that will be regarded as an authoritive content source on a subject, then that site would naturally include links to other handpicked sites that expand upon the topic and support your own content. This is part of what would make your page so valuable to a reader, enough so that they would bookmark it to refer to later or link to from their own sites.

On the other hand, if making more income from a particular page is your main focus, then you will naturally only want to include links that will make you money, whether that be adsense or affiliate links.

It's two different strategies and I think both of them work on Hubpages. Clearly, the Flagship Hubs program isn't solely designed to drive adsense clicks. It designed to improve Hubpages reputation as a site with authoritive content. This is good for for the site overall as it will bring more traffic to other pages as well and also increase search engine attention. And ultimately, that will also help everyone make more money, just in a more roundabout fashion.

Does that make sense?

As far as what Google themselves like, several months ago they went on an account banning binge, basically shutting down tons of accounts of webmasters of what is known as "Made for Adsense" sites. Sites with little content and little use to the reader. They were made basically to drive adsense clicks.  So while Google likes to make money, it clearly isn't the only factor in their overall mission. They reward good content and punish bad content, even when bad content makes them money.

10. darkside profile image58
    darksideposted 16 years ago

I'm unsure how a midi file can attract more visitors.

And like Lissie, as a reader I don't want background music. Unless it is of my choosing.

And Caspar is dead-set correct. Whether people are pretending to work, or surfing a site during their lunch break at their desk, you start up the music without forewarning and you get one very peeved off visitor.

11. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Thanks Mark, that explains it.  So I guess that means we do need some outgoing links - but maybe we put them down the bottom of the Hub so people are less likely to notice them??

I don't know about not noticing them, but I like to place them as close as possible to the google ads. That way, for example, at the bottom of a hub, the reader has a choice of places to go - a link, another of my hubs or a google ad. big_smile

But I am not sure I am getting the best out of this yet. It takes practice and a little time to see what works best. And just when you get it worked out the format will change, smile

2. Jerrico Usher profile image56

outgoing links helps google get more page impressions for their ads, its about the numbers if you have a tastful amount of links out of your page this helps people flow out to other ads on the net (pages) if you have none its like capping off the potential flow. just my two cents

Jerrico

12. Keny Luger profile image61
    Keny Lugerposted 16 years ago

I think I like Hubpages the way they are...no clickable pictures and no music....just great engaging content.

1. robie2 profile image76
      robie2posted 16 years agoin reply to this

me too, me too<lurking in the shadows> If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

13. Marisa Wright profile image85

Jerrico, I think your idea of creating a Youtube video is the best solution.  That way you get music in your Hub for the people who want it, plus you can promote your HubPage on Youtube.  Bonus!

i never thought to do that.. do I just create an account there and link vids back to  my pages? hmmmmmmm

ok going to bed cant even see the screen anymore..

14. Marisa Wright profile image85

I thought that's what you meant Jerrico - join YouTube, post your videos there, then embed them in your Hubs.

I notice that other people promote their webpages on YouTube by (a) including a title slide with the webpage on it, or (b) having the name of their webpage scroll along the bottom of the video.  Also, you can put a link to your Hub in the description of the video.

nice!

15. Jerrico Usher profile image56

I think I'm going to take advantage of this next holiday valentines day and my decoding love blog (finally finished it) for marketing new hub writers.. I'm thinking of making an agressive campaign around promoting the article and encouraging people to sign up.. wish me luck!

Jerrico (see I can keep it short) *smiles*

16. Rudra profile image66
    Rudraposted 16 years ago

Also Youtube allows you to add adsense to your vids.

1. darkside profile image58
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

How so?

yea i saw that but can we use that on our pages of is this breaking hubpages rules.. they basically encapsule the youtube video inside an ad campaign frame.. I want to use this for more exposure via youtube because it also would allow us to put the ads where ever we want like amazon and ebay since the movie capsule is placable smile

I think that hubpages should look into how we could do this, they could control also the ads in the you tube videos the same way they control the ads that hit the page, they use the same account and code)

Jerrico

2. Isabella Snow profile image70
      Isabella Snowposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I asked Paul about this when it first became possible in October and he said something to the effect of he wasnt sure if it would be possible on hubpages.

maybe we could create the youtube adsense deal and put it on a webpage off of hubpages, then link some videos directly to that page to see it may not be a good idea but is an idea.. just throwing it out there

17. Mark Knowles profile image58

Quite right.

Generating traffic by being an authority on a subject and making money from a page are two entirely different things - and not necessarily complementary. big_smile

18. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 16 years ago

Exactly. Anytime you run a search on Google, what site is likeliest to turn up at the top of the results? Wikipedia. Does Wikipedia run Adsense on their sites? No.But Google sure loves them.

Also, it should be noted that Adsense is not a factor at all in how Google determines a site's authority. The Search Engine and Adsense run completely different spiders out to look at sites.

My hot tip for creating Hubpages is to look at how the hubbers who consistently maintain scores of 100 - 98 and compare and contrast what they do. You'll notice that people like Jimmy and Relache use completely different strategies when building out their hubs, but you need to look at a bunch of them to note the trends, not just one or two.

And finally, I think it is a mistake to build webpages based solely upon what you think Google will think of them. Build pages for your readers. Google is just a robot.

19. Mark Knowles profile image58

Oddly enough, part of this is something I felt compelled to write about recently:

How I got my hub to be on Google's first page

big_smile Making money is a different, and soon to be published one, big_smile

20. embitca profile image83

I read that one when you posted it here previously, Mark smile

But I am definitely looking forward to your next one.Show Me the Money! smile

21. Mark Knowles profile image58

I am planning it.

Several people asked me how much traffic/how much money I was making, but most seemed to miss the point that with this many opportunities to leave the page, and this many reasons to look at something else, it is unlikely to make much money as it stands. I will be posting an update after a month or so, and adding how to turn it into money. big_smile Watch this space smile

22. embitca profile image83

You just need to plaster a big affiliate link for motorcycle loans at the very top of it wink

And then every other paragraph include it in bold big_smile

I look forward to your Money Making Report!

23. bloggerdollar profile image76
    bloggerdollarposted 16 years ago

Pages opening with a MIDI melody just so 90's Jerrico you should publish webpages 15 years ago:) I'm already frightened thinking of all the personal webpages with animated gifs and MIDI files. Grrr..

Sounds like Geocities circa 1997.

2. Jerrico Usher profile image56

You’re missing the point of what I wanted. I'm not looking for (nor was I then) midi opening, I said midi but realistically I wanted to add a symphony of atmospheres from my retail line to the page, they invoke using a specific technology, altered states of mind (pleasant ones) but mostly I wanted to add a clip to a meditation hub I'm working on to drive the concept of meditation home.. Just like in my hub about the ego I started it off stimulating the reader’s ego to drive the point of how the ego is stimulated with mere words and the way their strung together. Also realize I put the midi on the page with a volume control set to low, so it wouldnt load and be loud for someone at work, they could barely hear it and could turn it up..

I guess I should have explained it better, I did have a midi that sounded like an mp3 that I'd of used (still will) because of its affect on the mind when entering a site specifically seasoned visually for it.. Unlike the 90's technology is much better (just look how this site uses flash modules or somethign like it to make these capsule work, simple stimulating to see the background fade while you work on the page)

I liked the idea of a sort of juke box using YouTube (thanks darkside for the insight in how to make a song into a you tube module/mpeg I tried that thing with pictures and fades and was impressed, I'd never used this windows movie maker before, new ideas hit me when I started playing with that.. simply amazing what we don’t see (that movie player is plastered over the start menu when you first get windows installed (I removed it thinking I would never need it)..

as for the midi thing once again, open your mind, get over the 90's problem of over endulgence in midi mania, not everything fits into these things, my page was nothing like a 90's page I've always innovated.

Happy hubbing, have a hubtific day..

1. words2content profile image62
        words2contentposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I cannot but appreciate Jerrico persisting for that elusive piece of info that would allow him to play audio as his hubs open on being clicked.

Frankly, why should there be any stopping a person if he wants to have audio in his hub! It'll be a choice for members to include that if they so want. I guess HubPages does not want to give the options of audio to the members.

If not an automatically starting audio, why not permit members to include audio clips leaving the choice to visitors whether or not to click on them and listen to them!

To the best of my knowledge, to have play/start buttons for an audio clip will need 3 files - a javascript to define the buttons, a flash script to present the audio, and the mp3 of the audio itself.

These files are to be located somewhere, and obviously HubPages will not give the space for them. Once they are available in a server that can be used by a hubber, all he needs to do is simply include some codes in his hubs that will call the scripts to action.

While play/start buttons 1) induce visitors to readily click on the clip, and 2) play the audio in the hub itself, one can also include a simple link to the site that houses the mp3 audio file.

The reason of my elaborating things as I know them is to see if anyone has better alternatives to suggest. Or is it that audios are just not allowed here..?

24. chabrenas profile image59
    chabrenasposted 16 years ago

I think I understand what you'd like to create, Jerrico - and I think it would work for the audience the page was aimed at.

One of the problems with using Flash video/audio clips in typical websites is that people tend to do it on home or other index pages - so every time you return there while navigating around the site, you have to wait for the bl##dy Flash to load, and then you get distracted by the images and sound.  That's a complete turn-off.

But most Hubs are standalone pages, so you should be able to get away with (or even profit from) creating a multimedia environment, as if you had entered a room with the lights dimmed and soft music playing in the background.

Trouble is, the tools for doing that can be grossly misused - worse than a bucketload of fonts in a  desktop publishing program. The consensus here seems to be that you'd have to create a good-quality video (a skill in its own right) and imbed that in your hub. Then you start wondering why the hub is there at all.

25. belief713 profile image61
    belief713posted 16 years ago

Ok, on the thing with music....yes it is annoying to visit a webpage and you hear music and can't figure out how to turn it off.

But, I don't think it would be bad to have a way for users to listen to music with the option to play/pause/stop it. If it was their choice to click on the play button as opposed to it loading automatically...If it was done that way, I don't see how it would be a nuisance?

Isn't it done the same way with our video capsules?...the user has the option to play the video (which sometimes has music - but almost always some type of audio).

Of course, I don't think it would be that easy to set up because the audio file you wanted to play would have to be accesible on some site (maybe like an mp3 or something similar).

26. Inspirepub profile image72
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

I hate websites that play audio, especially if you can't click anything until the audio finishes.

However, several people I know who make a decent income from internet marketing swear that putting audio on their site improves their conversion rate, whether that's a free opt-in email newsletter, or a paid product sale.

I guess there's a proportion of people who like it, and that proportion outweighs the people like me, who shriek and hit the "back" button!

Jenny

27. Mark Knowles profile image58

Hello  all,

Jerrico has been asked and agreed not to enter any forum discussions and I think it is not a good idea to resurrect this long dead thread because he is unable to respond.

Leave this one alone and start a new one if you want to.

It is not fair on him. smile

Maybe we should start a new thread... "Why HubPages will never have music playing in the background".

Also this thread being closed would be a good idea too.

28. profile image53
    jhsmartposted 16 years ago

I'd have to agree on the music thing. I can't stand sites that have music or video that automatically starts. Ewww!!! Disgusting. Just some engaging content is good enough for me.

JS:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)