Facebook and revealing too much!

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Drew Breezzy profile image61
    Drew Breezzyposted 14 years ago

I don't know about your friends, but lately statuses I have seen on my facebook are really personal.  I don't wanna hear about your relationships issues or trivial drama. Do people just want attention or do they just do it without thinking desensitized from technology ?

Here is an  one example of a friend I will call "Lover Boy"

All this within a 24 hour period. Breakups are hard I understand but is this necessary?

"Lover Boy" is no longer listed as "in a relationship

"Lover Boy" TAKE ME AS I AM!!!!!! 4.05pm

"Lover Boy" wishes life was fair.......why is it nice guys always finish dead last? Why? 6.27pm

"Lover Boy"  does not want this to be over. At all. 10.27pm

"Lover Boy" wants everything to be ok again. 12pm

"Lover Boy" will fix whatever needs to be fixed, just give me a chance! 11 am

I see stuff like this frequently and I find it amazing people would share there every personal thought like this. What are your takes?

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What a wimp.

Drew Breezzyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah that is not the way to get a girl back either! Sounds desperate.

2. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

If people could understand what I've said 100000000 times about the web not being real life !... Sort your problems in real life. This kid is so mixed up!  ...Anyway , if they like it this way... Who cares!  Not me smile

I agree smile

This guy is is not a teenager just to note but is a young man

I am amazed every time I see someone humiliate themselves like this

Keep it to yourself or your close friends if you need a shoulder to lean on

1. tantrum profile image60
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It sounded so silly I thought it was a kid! OMG lol

Yeah I know! I have lost a lot of respect for people because of facebook.  I am not one to browse through profiles. I log in see if I have any messages and log off.  But when the stuff is right there in your news feed when you log in it is kinda hard to miss.

3. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

I think he just wants to look cool or he is a big fool!

How how this make him look cool? haha

2. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

...Or he is a big fool. I mean!

4. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

I just do not read status messages I find annoying.  Everyone has their own guilty pleasure, and hanging out of Facebook is an addiction for some.

5. profile image0
    Sidney Rayneposted 14 years ago

Never been a facebook member...never will be. There seems to be a recurring trend going on with so many people wanting to "put themselves over"...it is so narcissistic.

I don't understand this cliche of imagining that EVERYONE gives a f**k what their "status" is and what they are currently doing....the people that might care probably have a phone number...call them and keep your personal affairs...personal.

1. profile image0
      Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah.  That's the exactly same way I feel about it.  I don't want to be that "out there."  I see the point for creating a PR presence in social media for where I work and am doing so, but I'm NOT interested in senseless narcissistic display...I want to be known for the things that I create & the work that I do.

Even if one were to write a biography or memoir, it would be something 'crafted,' not just a laundry list of every stupid thing that occurred

6. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

My status messages are not too private. I might complain about the weather, etc. I will not put personal things up there.

Thats good!

7. SweetiePie profile image83

Some people go on to write autobiographies where they air all of their deep dark secrets, and make quite a bit of money off of it.  People buy entertainment magazines with pictures and salacious stories of celebrity break ups.  Basically this guy has the right to post whatever he wants under the sun, and whether you consider him foolish is beside the point.  It would be foolish to write about every break up in a memoir, but many people laugh all the way to the bank doing it.

1. profile image0
      Sidney Rayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey...I can't argue with you at all there...everyone loves a scandal. Look at TV now...reality TV rules the airwaves and the bigger the trainwreck...the higher ratings. This guy/girl Perez Hilton has made a career from simply exposing any little celebrity secret that happens to rear it's ugly head.

Am I jealous or mad? No...they might not have thought of the idea first but they had the ingenuity to market their work properly to achieve the success...they have earned it.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image61

too bad he is not one of these people

and yes there are people Max Tucker for example that are rich off of their life stories that most people would dread if others knew such information

8. Jess Killmenow profile image60
    Jess Killmenowposted 14 years ago

Can a cartoon get a Facebook page?

Sure! I bet there are people who  have given there pets a page haha

9. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

My FB updates are pretty vague and I certainly don't write anything too personal. I actually went through and deleted a bunch of "friends" because they were people who just added me to up their numbers - reminds me of the whole "fans" thing here on HP!

10. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I'm on Fb but the most I put on my status is if I am going to be writing and watching movies. But that is about it. And if my friends want to put personal stuff in their status I say go ahead, I'll read and comment if I see fit to comment. But whether it is personal or not it up to the person I say.

11. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Ohhhhh God Drew. That's probably my son. Arse neutral

As for me, I write little or nothing. I'd certainly never write stuff like 'oh my god kevin i love you sooooooooooo much. lol'

Or 'did you watch pop idol?? paulas' dress. oh my god i need to get one nowwwwwwww' etc.

I stretch to 'wtf is farm pals'. Occasionally.

haha frog droppings your a funny guy opps

I mean frog

1. frogdropping profile image77
        frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Gal Drew.

I'm a gal frog. A frogette if you will tongue

sorry gal

2. Pearldiver profile image65
      Pearldiverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nope it was not him... Spawn Basher!!
      He was telling everyone about the hard, hard, dark old pond days! I thought he promoted you well; considering you Exported His Bear lol

12. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

I'm on Facebook, but not very active at all. What I hate the most is when clients or professional acquaintances want to be my "friend" on my personal page. Geez.... I have to either accept them into my personal life or turn them away and risk them being ticked off. Hate it.

13. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Some people think socializing is the go ahead for telling all...especially if they have an audience for it.  I've noticed the same for Twitter....there's a lot of up to the minute status of life..the good, the bad and the whiners.

14. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Frogdroppings, ... smile smile smile ..... sorry I still laugh every time I see your name. You are so smart for a frog! No disrespect and as much as I love green frogs, I have never met such a humorous, smart frog before, so I say Hooray for frogs, and their droppings, may you always leave them laying around where we can find em! smile

15. SweetiePie profile image83

Some biographies are more on the tawdry side to be honest though smile.  Not all, but a few are filled with salacious details.  I still enjoy using Facebook from time to time, and I really do not use it to be narcissistic.  It is fun, and that is all for me smile.  Of course my social life is pretty boring, so I do not have much to brag about anyway lol.

1. profile image0

Sure they are...A Million Little Pieces.  Enough said.

And I don't know...to be honest, I'm enough 'out there,' due to stuff I've published.  I don't want odd people from high school tracking me down, necessarily, either.  That would be too weird.  And after the death of my one high school friend and how it occurred and the, well, lack of response...

I understand other people enjoy Facebook, and that is fine.

16. SweetiePie profile image83

I probably waste my time on it to be honest, but it does bring some traffic for my sites.  I am trying to promote my examiner pages as much as I can, so maybe that makes me a little desperate.  I was not too keen on the people I went to high school with, but interestingly enough not many people have looked me up.  One girl did on classmates to apologize for all the rude things she had said to me.

1. profile image0

Well, its odd, but I have nothing on there but an initial and my last name, and several have still 'friended' me from high school, + old boyfriends.  And I just find it weird...like not a real connection or anything.  I mean, I have and/or could contact the people I want to contact by e-mail, so?  Thing is, I don't contact the old bf's mainly for reasons, so I dunno...

I was kind of interested in how much there is to it, actually, when I was reviewing it for PR use at the job.  I've never actually gone past public profiles!

17. SweetiePie profile image83

That is kind of weird people out of the blue sent friend requests.  A few people have sent friend requests to me, but for the most part it is people I knew well.  The good thing about the people I went to high school is most of them could care less about what I am up to, and that is fine by me smile.

18. rmcrayne profile image92
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

I joined Facebook recently and was in contact with 2 high school friends, 2 college friend and 1 military friend within 2 days.  I’ve made great additional contacts. 

But…I’m with you Drew.  I have 1 FB “friend” who posts these really needy, desperate and attention seeking posts.  Like watching a train wreck and not knowing how to help.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)