switch from "Fan" to "Follower"

Jump to Last Post 1-45 of 45 discussions (71 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 14 years ago

Thank you for all the comments.  We are reading them. We have some features that are going to be released soon that we thought it made more sense to use the term follow since there is more familiarity with the term follow on the web (with Twitter and Google Wave, for example) than fan.

We wanted one term that works for topics and people.  As an example, we felt it was better to follow the topic bladder cancer than to be a fan of bladder cancer. 

Thanks again for all the feedback.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile good thinking! wink

2. KCC Big Country profile image85
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hmmmmm..."features that are going to be released soon"......sounds like fun.....can't wait to see what they'll be.  smile

3. nekros729 profile image61
      nekros729posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a fan of bladder cancer! =P

4. Neil Sperling profile image59
      Neil Sperlingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A Rose smells like a rose no matter what you call it!

5. salt profile image59
      saltposted 14 years agoin reply to this

interesting choice of topics, bladder cancer,... any light reading available???

1. Dao Hoa profile image59
        Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I did not think about it smile smile smile

6. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll never not hate it.  It definitely does NOT work for me.

Aw! Hate is a strong word. Do give it a try! smile

7. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm wondering if both terms should be used. So when we talk about 'fans' we know it's about people, and when the term 'follow' is mentioned we know it's referring to topics.

A one size fits all term might not work as well as using both to describe two different distinct functions.

8. h.a.borcich profile image60
      h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am not bent out of shape over fans or followers, actually I like it that we can "follow" a topic instead of being a fan of.

What I think is amazing is your choice to point that out...
      BLADDER CANCER! It is real and it is deadly - I know! More women will die this year from bladder cancer than from cervical cancer...

Please read up on it - know the signs and save your life:)

Holly, (trying to survive stage 3b high grade invasive)

1. h.a.borcich profile image60
        h.a.borcichposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to be intense about this...but for whatever reason the OP had for using bladder cancer as an example - I will take it as an opportunity to advocate.

Even if you never smoked ciggarettes you should know this cancer is the 5th leading cancer and is deadly! Holly

9. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
      glad to know there was a reason. ever since someones page told me to quit following them, ive been good with it. besides, dont we all have hubs to write?

10. starme77 profile image76
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Makes sense to me , thats why you guys do what  you do so well, ya think things through a bit LOL smile Thanks

11. profile image0
      KellyEngaldoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was trying to figure this difference out - thank you very much!

12. profile image0
      BookFlameposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very funny riposte!

13. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's a good change. I,m a "follower" of several hubbers of which the term "fan" isn't an accurate description.

1. susanlang profile image58
        susanlangposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey there Ralph.. I like the new look you have a sharp lookin hat on smile

14. ramkkasturi profile image60
      ramkkasturiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am wondering if  I should publish a new  one or not. To my surprise what I have  posted  yesterday morning (India time),stayed on zeros in all columns. This is the first time I am seeing this ! Got worried. Kindly let me know. I am new just started 10 days ago !!. Thanks.

15. susanlang profile image58
      susanlangposted 14 years agoin reply to this

bladder cancer has one fan, the grave yard and I know too many people who joined it.  Maybe I'll do a story on cancer next week..Hmm.  In any case.. I do agree with you on the change from fan to follower. Smart !

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Thank you for the explanation. Greatly appreciated. big_smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Thanks Jason - it makes a lot more sense now we understand the same term will be used for topics as well as people. I couldn't understand what all the angst was about anyway!

4. Black Lilly profile image60
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

Thank you wink

With regards to bladder cancer... I'm now FOLLOWED by Bad Company and FOLLOWING Bad Company...
    Makes sense anyway big_smile

5. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 14 years ago

I guess with that explanation is makes sense. . It sure made for a lot of chatter around the Hub today . .but I think I still like the "fan" more than the "follower"

6. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Thanks for the reason. Gee, a little goof off post in the HubberHangout and people sure had lots to say.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 14 years ago

What? No fans for bladder cancer?

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not I - and not a follower of bladder cancer either.

2. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
      Hmrjmr1posted 14 years ago

Well all I have to say is AllllRighty Then!

3. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Thanks Jason!  An explanation certainly helps one to understand.  So you're totally against "subscriber"? wink

No problem, I'm enjoying HubPages either way! smile Looking forward to the new features.

4. tony0724 profile image61
      tony0724posted 14 years ago

Is following anything like stalking ?

5. Sybil Marie profile image59
      Sybil Marieposted 14 years ago

Thanks for explaining! I can't wait to see what the other "features" are!

6. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 14 years ago

I've always tended to look deeper at statements than some... I always consider What Is Not Being Said in relation to what is. hmm

From the information given: It would appear that HP is actually 'Following' Twitter's intiatives as opposed to Leading The Market through HP's Unique Selling Position hmm

Are Twitter Following HP in any respect? hmm

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point !!!

7. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

mmm The word has such a wide meaning...

1. to go or come after in the same direction he followed his friend home
      2. (tr) to accompany; attend she followed her sister everywhere
      3. to come after as a logical or natural consequence
      4. (tr) to keep to the course or track of she followed the towpath
      5. (tr) to act in accordance with; obey to follow instructions
      6. (tr) to accept the ideas or beliefs of (a previous authority, etc.) he followed Donne in most of his teachings
      7. to understand (an explanation, argument, etc.) the lesson was difficult to follow
      8. to watch closely or continuously she followed his progress carefully
      9. (tr) to have a keen interest in to follow athletics
      10. (tr) to help in the cause of or accept the leadership of the men who followed Napoleon
      11. (tr) Rare to earn a living at or in to follow the Navy
      follow suit Cards
      a.  (Group Games / Card Games) to play a card of the same suit as the card played immediately before it
      b.  to do the same as someone else
      n
      (Group Games / Billiards & Snooker) Billiards Snooker
      a.  a forward spin imparted to a cue ball causing it to roll after the object ball
      b.  a shot made in this way See also follow-on, follow out, follow through, follow up
      [Old English folgian; related to Old Frisian folgia, Old Saxon folgōn, Old High German folgēn]
      followable  adj

8. Dao Hoa profile image59
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

"(tr) to accompany; attend she followed her sister everywhere"

If you follow someone everywhere, you are a stalker. sad

However, thank you Jason for the explanation. I am glad Admin is bringing even more features for us.

1. pylos26 profile image71
        pylos26posted 14 years ago

I am a follower of very few.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 14 years ago

Why do we need "followers" anyway?  What purpose does it serve as many people "fan" (formerly) in binges expecting, or hoping, others will do the same for them?

I saw one hubber today who has been here less than a dozen days and had over 250 "followers' with only a few hubs.  So, what good is this facet of the site?

I saw that too and wondered how did that person get that many "followers"? It made me want to "follow" that person and "learn" sad

However, I also learned that another person posted a link in her thread and if you click on that link, you are automatically became her follower. That IS WRONG! Trickery! sad

3. Rebecca E. profile image78
        Rebecca E.posted 14 years ago

thanks for the explaination.

4. Research Analyst profile image72
        Research Analystposted 14 years ago

interesting concept indeed

1. profile image0
          Janettaposted 14 years ago

yes, that does make more sense smile

2. b4u2c profile image73
          b4u2cposted 14 years ago

Although "followers" does makes sense in general, it also presents problems for the writers and readers of hubs on "religion". As a few other hubbers have inferred in this thread, would it be too complicated, confusing or difficult to use "fan" for people and "follower" for topics?

1. camlo profile image84
            camloposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I thought of that to. That a particular Topic has so and so many followers, but the Hubbers have Fans.

I really do miss having Fans.

Besides, I don't follow a particular Topic. I enjoy reading a wide range of subjects.

3. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
          Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

Whats the big deal we are now following a person or topic instead of fanning a person or topic. hmm It's really just a word. Do you guys really give a flying fig if you're following or fanning?hmm The scalp hunters are going to be able to demand you follow them just as much as they can demand that you fan them...will it really make a difference which? 

Mind you the silver lining here could be that while the discussions of that little change of term was happening few people fought and argued in any of the forum sites.lol

Hubteam a big http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/29/29_3_16.gif's up for the continuously new and improved site (Jason how about a hint of what coming next?)

4. aware profile image67
          awareposted 14 years ago

at first it irked me but now im in agreement with bee.

5. camlo profile image84
          camloposted 14 years ago

Okay, I now understand why they did it, but I still prefer the word 'Fan'.

And 'Fan' was quite unique to HubPages. I liked it very much.

Hopefully, Fan-mail will remain Fan-mail, or has that changed, too, and I haven't noticed yet? 'Followers Mail'doesn't sound quite right, somehow.

6. Jim.Jones profile image57
          Jim.Jonesposted 14 years ago

Changing "fan" to "follower" is the best thing that ever happened at HubPages. This bickering needs to stop! Quit wasting your time in this forum and go become my follower, for we must escape this tyranny today!

Zsuzsy Bee was almost right in his comment above, saying "It's really just a word", because your words do not matter, only mine do. So pack your bags, we are moving to Guyana!

1. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ill bring the Kool-aid

1. Jim.Jones profile image57
              Jim.Jonesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Tex. Your generosity will be rewarded (and bring some sedatives, we need more sedatives).

As for the rest of you, you too can be led. Click "Follow Jim.Jones". BE LED! FOLLOW ME!

7. heart4theword profile image60
          heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

I thought I noticed a change, but figured it was just my imagination.  Follower did make since when I signed up to be a new fan for someone:)  Thanks:)

8. Elena. profile image84
          Elena.posted 14 years ago

Would one of the new features be the ability to remove one's followers that are offensive or just plain spammers? big_smile

9. lmmartin profile image68
          lmmartinposted 14 years ago

I don't want followers. It has a new-age, cultish kind of feeling. i.e. Christ had followers: his disciples.

I want my fans back. If someone is following me, I will call the police.

Oh, one more question: do we now leave follower mail, instead of fan mail for someone whose work we enjoy.

10. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
          Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years ago

There's so much being added to HubPages that I can scarely "follow" it all, but I'll catch up. I really do like the term "follow" though.

11. Glenn Stok profile image97
          Glenn Stokposted 14 years ago

Well, after all is said and done, I DO like the word "following" better. I feel more comfortable saying "I'm following you" than I do saying "I'm fanning you."   Nevertheless, I'm a fan of my followers.

12. profile image0
          Ghost32posted 14 years ago

I'm still a Luddite with a few Grinch genes.

13. bojanglesk8 profile image60
          bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Cool story, bro.

1. profile image0
            lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile cool

14. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
          Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

"Fan" or "follow" or both suit me. It's great to discover new friendship at HubPages.

15. profile image0
          lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Cool. cool Thanks for the explanation Jason.

16. profile image0
          shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

I too liked Fan Power more than followers

17. compu-smart profile image90
          compu-smartposted 14 years ago

I have to keep looking over my shoulder now!big_smile

18. Metta's iPhone profile image58
          Metta's iPhoneposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the clarification.  Never would have put the two together since I am a new hubber.

19. Lita C. Malicdem profile image60
          Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

Fan or follower suits me. Both do also. Thanks. I'm slowly graduating as new hubber because I have fans and followers who give me tips on hubbing.

20. Richieb799 profile image74
          Richieb799posted 14 years ago

I am starting a cult, anyone want to follow me? didnt some guy do a documentry on this? he sent out flyers asking people to join but he didnt tell anyone what it was about and still got lots of replies

21. profile image53
          msanandhposted 14 years ago

Thanks for your info.

22. khurram's world profile image61
          khurram's worldposted 14 years ago

I don't mind fan or follower, both terms are ok but your explanation described it very well. Thanks again.

23. PegCole17 profile image92
          PegCole17posted 14 years ago

Ok, now that explains that. I was wondering when and why the fans changed into followers. Kinda liked the fan thing but I understand it doesn't go with some topics.

24. pylos26 profile image71
          pylos26posted 14 years ago

Is hubpages going religious cult…you know…with disciples and apostles and them lame sorts that form cults as “followers”…poor description of “fan”.

25. Ben Zoltak profile image80
          Ben Zoltakposted 14 years ago

Aha! I knew this subject would be somewhere on the Forums. Guess I can close the file on Fans v. Followers.

"Are you employed Mr. Lebowski? One doesn't go out looking for a job on a weekday dressed like that!"

"Weekday? Wait, what day is it?"

26. bojanglesk8 profile image60
          bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

I like "follower" better.

27. Internetwriter62 profile image79
          Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

I totally agree with you, there is a certain dignity to the word follower, that the word fan does not have. Unfortunately, the word fan has been associated with movies about sick, deranged weirdos, who are obsessive about the person, they admire and even stalk them. So I think it's a good change.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
        Necessary
        HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
        LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
        Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
        AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
        HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
        Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
        CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
        Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
        Features
        Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
        Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
        Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
        PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
        MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
        Marketing
        Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
        Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
        Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
        Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
        Statistics
        Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
        ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
        Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
        ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)