Here 3 years or MORE? Please express for us ( fellow-hubbers).......

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (31 posts)
  1. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 6 years ago

Here 3 years or MORE? Please express for us ( fellow-hubbers).......

all changes you find to be VERY different, here at Hubpages, NOW, compared to when you first joined (& ensuing 1-2 years). Are you as satisfied & comfortable?  More? Less? Indifferent?  Explain, please

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6481527_f260.jpg

2. gregas profile image82
    gregasposted 6 years ago

I would actually like to see HP go back to the format they had 6 years ago for the hub pages and hub-hopping.
    They have made it more inconvenient.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

(Here 8+ years).. things change, that's the nature of life. Don't be too focued on the details. Write good stuff, change when needed, rinse, repeat.

HubPages is still alive so they must be doing something right.

Remember that meme with the bread biscuit and the cups of fruit juice? -- Roll with the punches.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years ago

Apparently it was easy to make a lot more money when I joined. But I didn't have a plan, and didn't have the frame of mind to think of it seriously enough.

Nowadays before I start on anything I ask myself if the thing, when done, will still be relevant five years from now. If so, proceed in as professional a manner as possible.

I'd think persons who primarily write for specific niche sites could maybe get some advanced scouting from staff. 'Hey, you're great at these subjects. We've done a bit of keyword research, if you could write one about this in your style, up to your usual standards, we'd all be pleased.'

5. savvydating profile image89
    savvydatingposted 6 years ago

Paula, my biggest beef is that I get docked when I complain about those who do not follow rules. Consequently, I feel silenced, and that's a huge turn-off!!
    Beyond that, I think HP is trying. BTW, I voted for you on the Hubbie Awards for Best Grammer Nerd. If you can take an editing job, please do it!!

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean you get "docked" for complaining?

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes me too. What does that mean. Are you complaining about others or about HP method or about your treatment? Or all 3?

3. savvydating profile image89
      savvydatingposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If I report spam or those who go out on a limb to violate HP rules, or if I down-arrow more than once on a Q&A, my score goes down.
      As for the people here, I think we have a good community, with a few nut jobs thrown in for fun. Lol.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Gosh I report a lot of stuff. I don't look for things to report or flag, I just see a lot of spam or extremely low quality junk. I report it. I don't think it makes my score go down. I've been from 89-99 for 7 years now. It's traffic and pay I'm for.

5. savvydating profile image89
      savvydatingposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Wesman, Maybe it's a strange coincidence, but I have heard the same thing from another woman.

6. marcoujor profile image74
    marcoujorposted 6 years ago

My answer ranges from dissatisfied to indifferent.  I am not pleased when robots determine if my work is suitable - especially when the criteria for 'suitable' is forever changing.

7. Sunshine625 profile image87
    Sunshine625posted 6 years ago

(6+ years)
    I'm satisfied with HP because the site challenges me while not laying dormant. There's never a dull moment on HP when it comes to changes. I also don't write as much anymore, but my hubs continue to reach others who reach out to me. I'm thankful to have HP as my home base.

8. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 6 years ago

With humor I offer a disclaimer this is all IMHO. I don't know where to begin. It has been an adventure with many twists and turns. I arrived six years ago. I was passionate about writing itself then. Now, not so much as I have rules embedded in my mindset hampering passion.

Then, I think it was a 50/50 split between business and social as evidenced by accolades. There was much more social interactions then. Today, it ranges between 80 - 90 business. I get the bills have to paid, but I don't like being controlled by big brother Google. Yet, I realize they have their reasons too. Thus, the many twists and turns we endure as learning writers . . . learning writing itself and the business for online writing. The happy medium is now lost for me.

9. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 6 years ago

Hi Paula -

I was with HP 2 years or so, took a year or two off, for multiple reasons and I've been back for a couple of years now.
    I guess I fall within the 'Indifferent' category. I am not a very good rule follower and I've never been one for reading the directions. I try to stay within the HP guidelines, but my focus is on writing about the things which I wake up thinking about or fall asleep thinking about. That feeling that I know we all share in this Community....write it down, type it up or you'll explode (or is it implode?) I hope to continue writing for HP and only care about the opinion of the few friends I've made here.

fpherj48posted 6 years agoin reply to this

ab, "explode - implode". Happy 2 explain the difference: "exploding" is an instant, irrational reaction, 2 an immediate hair-triggered anger."Imploding" occurs as an eventual BLAST after repeatedly withholding anger & disgust! AS a pressure-cooke

2. fpherj48 profile image60

I have certainly been familiar with both exploding & imploding...It is simply unavoidable as long as we exist & interact w/ others, pay attention to our world and can recognize the difference between intelligence & ignorance. Enjoy UR Sun

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Explosions radiate outward destroying things around
      them. Implosions collapse inward destroying themselves.

4. fpherj48 profile image60

Yes, Rochelle...in terms of structures & buildings & other inanimate objects.U R correct, of course. I was referring 2 people & emotions, dealing w/ stress as a figure of speech.In fact, we don't literally explode OR implode!! we FEEL lik

5. abwilliams profile image68
      abwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

To put it in other words.....if I do not stop what I am doing to write it down or type it up (whatever thought is on my mind) I'll not accomplish a damn thing (including sleep)

10. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

It has been almost 6 years since I joined HP. When I first came here, you could publish pretty much anything; there was no QAP, and no bootcamp. I loved the freedom, but neither of these things have been a problem for me. I guess it's more difficult for the newcomer, but it is good for the site as a whole.

We used to have a Hub of the Day chosen each day, which we don't have anymore. I liked to look at the HOTD each day, and it was thrilling when one of my hubs was chosen. Many hubbers stopped by to comment, and I think it was one of the things that build a sense of community. HP discontinued it for their own reasons, and I'm sure they were good reasons, but I kind of miss it.

We used to have a "Weekly Inspiration Topic." Besides the topic, there were pre-researched titles to choose from. I participated in that several times, and some of my best hubs came from it. Not all of them were winners, but I do miss that feature. I guess HP had more important things to focus on.

Of course there have been many traffic ups and downs, and HP's constant readjusting to stay in Google's good graces. Not every change has been pleasant, but overall I guess it's worked. We're still here.

The biggest change is the niche sites. It seems like they have been very successful so far. I am actually getting enough income from my writing to make a bit of difference for me.

So, all in all I am satisfied with how HP has handled things, and happy to have this place to put my articles. Thanks to Paul Edmondson and the staff for all of their hard work.

11. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 6 years ago

Paula, I have been here about eight years now..boy time flies. So many changes that I don't know where to begin. I have had a few beefs with HP from time to time, but now I have just learnt to roll with the punches. At least they are still going where other similar sites have folded. I miss things like the voting on each hub...funny, helpful etc, Editor's Choice, HOD etc, but the niche sites appear to be a good idea. For me, monetary incentive has never been relevant as even after eight years it takes me around ten months to make payout.

12. DDE profile image47
    DDEposted 6 years ago

I find the changes okay and getting used to most of the recent changes.

13. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 6 years ago

In my very limited corporate planning of over forty years and my beginning in internet policies of only about 22 years I think there are issues.
    We rode the very best of all best internet/www rides. In failure we learned plenty just like Edison. We lost billions of billions of millions of investor's dollars.The "bubble burst" was a great historic learning moment.
    ICANN Governance eschewed the "user" by not giving them a seat on the "open and transparent" insertion of the public not through corporate.
    HP here is a strange thing to watch as business financials grow or die. HP is one of those exceptions - and kind of cool. They tread water but do not thrive. ROI is really lowsey.
    HP for some reason did not get the YouTube and FB models and they thought they could roll with the Qualcomm and Sony models of constant innovation and upgrading.The problem came with not being user friendly. They have technical upgrades where technicians should not even be in the room making decisions. If FB and YT or now Twitter changed the user interface format as often as HP they also would be treading water. But they are not stupid.
    I pay increased bills on my phone - cool, inflation. But I have not upgraded in 8 years and yet I still pay increase in costs. BEcause I can count on it.
    For users and investors being able to count on something without change is optimum. I put my money where I can feel free that they stick to a business model that I invested in. I use sites that have reliability in use not the latest damn gadgets.
    HP business model is constant starry eyed new writers. That is cool but like a comet trail, in the end it burns out. HP is close to a social network ponzy scheme. Not quite but close. Last I heard they were still Google minded as a social site.
    I like writing and HP stores my stuff with a modicum of exposure so I get feed back and improve my skills. And as a social site we have a closed end type of "friends" here not at all associated with followers.
    HP has hurt themselves with changes rather than growth incentive improvements. Techies have screwed HP up.

14. Mohab Elmasry profile image59
    Mohab Elmasryposted 6 years ago

Actually ,I just joined yesterday ,so I still figure it out .but from comments of old members .it looks nice

15. bravewarrior profile image86
    bravewarriorposted 6 years ago

Frankly, I appreciate HP trying to weed out the poorly written content. Granted, the "bots" (and even some of the human editors) can do a better job of not flagging/correcting colloquialisms because they're usually written purposely for emphasis or to be in keeping with the gist, but overall, I think the changes have been good. They're doing everything they can to please Google and keep our sites/content alive and ranking. Google is the driving force, after all. Whether we write to earn coffee money or for recognition or simply practice, it pays to have Uncle Google rank our work. Why have it out there if no one can find it, right?

I've just made my sixth Hubbiversery. Obviously, I like it here. I've met some amazing people (you included, my friend) with whom I have relationships outside HP. The community is wonderful. I enjoy and look forward to what my fellow writers have to contribute to the written word.

Additionally, even though I've not posted anything new this year, I continue to earn a payout every two months, on average. I think this is due to the niche sites and the few of my articles that I've either requested to move or HP has taken it upon themselves to do for me.

Bottom line is this: I'm not going anywhere. I hope to get to a point in my (current) life where I can get back to posting. Once my muse comes off vacation (while I go back to work), here is where she and I will share our soul.

Hope this helps, Paula.

Love ya and Peace,
    Bravewarrior aka Sha

I appreciate UR input Sha.UR hoping 2 have time 2 post more.I intend 2 cut down on time spent here! My enthusiasm & interest in HP has taken a dive 4 several valid reasons. We'll "talk" 1 day soon.
      Have a great week-end!

16. annart profile image82
    annartposted 6 years ago

I've been here for 7 years now.  It's become less flexible in general; there are pros and cons. 
    I don't like the editing as it tends to be, understandably, US English; I feel there ought to be English spelling for British hubbers.  The proof-reading also leaves a bit to be desired!
    The other thing I miss is the side capsule; it was very useful when linking things - you could refer to something directly beside other text for relevant information.
    I still love the fact that there are great friends here, you included of course.
    Great question, Paula!

Ann,  I can understand your opinion of including & accepting the "English spelling" for British, and completely agree with you. There is no valid reason your words should be edited to American English!  Absurd.
      Thanks for your input.

17. Maggie Bonham profile image89
    Maggie Bonhamposted 6 years ago

I've been here for more than 3 years.  The one thing I think has affected me has been the changes Google has made to reduce the posts by sites such as this.  At the same time, it's nice to see that they've been working toward more quality content.  It's also nice to see when my work gets picked up by the premium channels.

I have some nitpicky gripes about how the layouts have changed, but they're mostly just gripes.  I've been lax at putting out work here but have since come back because I like the overall freedom Hubpages provides.  Now if I could just see the cash roll in!

18. Tusitala Tom profile image66
    Tusitala Tomposted 6 years ago

I've been on Hubpages for over seven years now.   I think the former method - whatever that was - of ascertaining quality and allocating marks was more favourable to me.   After a year or three I was up there in the 90's.   Now, I fluctuate around 80 despite having added more Hubs (I've placed well over 300) down the years.

Moreover, it seems the new systems are forever picking up what they call grammatical errors and other inconsistencies which were never there before.   This, of course, allowed them to place a great many of my Hubs in a 'not for for public viewing list.'

Quite frankly, if I knew seven years ago what I know now I would probably have avoided Hubpages all together.

19. poppyr profile image94
    poppyrposted 6 years ago

I've been here for three years and HubPages is getting better and better. The niche sites are a great idea and I feel more connected to the community than ever before.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)