HUGE Increases in Earnings

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (62 posts)
  1. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

It's only the 20th of the Month, but my earnings for this month are already 10 times greater than what it was for April last year. It's also almost the highest ever (even though CPMs are half of what they were in December) It's mostly due to increased traffic and the CPMs (compared to last year). I haven't really added any new articles. Maintenace of the older ones - yes.

Paul once said that people aren't really vocal when good things happen, so I just wanted to point this out. July and August earnings were 10 times of April last year, I wonder what's going to happen this time around. Could possibly hit 4 digits.

A thank you to the team for the platform. And especially the forums smile

Maybe those wondering whether it's worth their time could use this post as a cue.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image94
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the kind words and for sharing the good news! smile

lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. hanikhalid profile image61
      hanikhalidposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How do we get to know about the earnings? I have published my first article and google adsense are running there plus traffic is also rising. Can anyone guide me about earnings?

1. theraggededge profile image95
        theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this
        1. hanikhalid profile image61

Thanks a lot. Every time i answer to the amazon program questions they say it’s incorrect. Though it’s not true. How can i pass those questions?

What questions?

Where was my wedding reception held? My favourite icecream flavor? Such type of questions

Ah! Security questions. You are missing a space or caps or something. We cannot help you there.

Where am i missing and how can i find about it??

Well that is disappointing! Anyway thanks for your effort.

3. liesl5858 profile image83
      liesl5858posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Good for you lobobrandon. Keep it up.

Gonna try haha. Thanks. I'm not a fan of the latest Google Update if it is actually what I fear: https://hubpages.com/community/forum/33 … in-traffic

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Last month was the best I've had ever...well into 4 digits...but this month?  Not so much.  I might make 4 by the end of the month, but now I'm not sure.  Earnings have become slower to post, CPMs are down and now views are dropping as well.  I hope this isn't the result of the video thing...and I'm also upset because this is the time of year when my hubs should really be taking off.  Kind of depressing....even though I'm doing much better than last year dollar wise.

1. Alison Graham profile image93
        Alison Grahamposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have noticed my views dropping over the past few days too - please could you explain "the video thing" you mention?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

What he's saying is that Google is now ranking it's on videos on YouTube higher than written articles which can affect our page views negatively and ergo our income.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
            Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

He's right. Maven discussed the same thing at the conference.

5. profile image0
      cursedempathposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I am so very happy to see this!
      Cheers to your success! This is absolutely awesome and I am so happy for you big_smile

6. Teeuwynn Woodruff profile image91
      Teeuwynn Woodruffposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the info. And congrats on your good numbers!

7. Eurofile profile image97
      Eurofileposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is very encouraging for a new hubber like myself.  You must have some very high-quality articles that are very popular.

There was a steep learning curve. I began my online writing here at HP. The first ones did not kick off. But now there are many more guides to help new hubbers so you do have a learning curve, but it maybe easier. Read some hubs and see the structure followed by writers getting traffic, see the HP learning center too - stellar hubs. Google stellar hubs + Hubpages + learning center. You should find it.

1. Eurofile profile image97

Thanks very much for the advice.  I'm grateful for all I can get.  What's the best way of picking up on articles that are getting traffic?

The one article you have is really well done. But your title could be changed a bit to reflect what people actually search for. Use https://neilpatel.com/ubersuggest/ to help find phrases people actually type in. Put in your main keyword and see the suggestions you get. Use the filters on the left of the page to make sure that only keywords with the word porto show, etc.

Thanks very much.  I'll check that out.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Some writers tend to get good traffic, find profiles with 10M views etc and see the way they break up their articles. But you are already doing it pretty well, so I would not worry too much about that.

Thanks, I'll do that.  It's a whole new way of writing on here.  Previously I used to write an article in Word and then upload in one go.  Here it seems easier to write as I go, using the pods.

I write directly too. I just find it easier, helps me break things up as I go.

2. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 6 years ago

It's fabulous, though not quite as good as last month smile

My earnings are up just because it's summertime, other hubs have lost a bit of traffic and CPMs are down considerably.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

I just compared these 20 days of April to entire April of last year.
    My Ad Program earnings are 5 times greater - you beat me Brandon.
    My Amazon earnings are almost double.

It will be interesting to compare once April is complete.

I'm sure this is all due to Header Bidding and EBDA. I spoke with a fellow at the conference who works for Say Media and we talked about the power of Header Bidding bringing us more revenue for ads.

Yeah I can imagine what header bidding will do to our CPM's, but the increase was seen even before the merger with SayMedia, the huge CPM spike was after the merger with Maven. Do you think that the SayMedia merger is already being implemented?

I was hoping things would get even better once their technology kicked in lol

Paul announced the implementation of both methods several months ago in one of the forums. Or maybe it was in the blog or in the weekly newsletter. But we had it long before Maven merged with Say Media. 

EDIT: I found it - it was five months ago:
        https://hubpages.com/community/forum/14 … ith-google

Yes, this is what I am referring to. With a literal doubling of uniques with the merger, and the better technology and talent (I assume), the CPMs should further increase considering more companies would be bidding (in general) across the niche sites, the maven channels and say media properties.

This is my take on this, not sure if it's a right projection or not.

4. Cre8tor profile image93
    Cre8torposted 6 years ago

While I await my best time of year (as I'm quite seasonal) I have crunched the numbers too and my year on year average is way up. It's quite normal for me to see a dip in between seasons but comparing dips, I'm excited to see the highs. I had a record winter and summers are usually better so I'm getting anxious. Nice job by the way Brandon!

Same here, summer is when I do well here. The past winter was pretty good too. Sometimes better than the summer of the same year.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 6 years ago

This month really started out with a bang. I was on track to beat all previous earnings. However, my traffic has dropped off significantly in the past two days.

Not just you Sherry, others have been seeing the same. Caloriebee has dropped 20% on average and Owlcation 30% from what I am seeing on my hubs (just 2 in each of these niche sites). Dengarden is steady. I have compared traffic from the 18th and 19th of April with the same days of the previous week (considering there was a google update in this time period, Eubug pointed it out, sometime on the 17th).

I am checking the stats on semrush and over the past hours, there have been gains in some rankings and drops in others. So, the new update has not hit the niche sites (I mean they are not targetted). It is just a regular change in the algorithm, things may settle down. There are still a lot of changes happening, huge changes right now: https://www.semrush.com/sensor/?db=US&category=

Drops in rankings that I notice are 2 - 3 spots (for terms on the first page) this is where most of the traffic is being lost. Personally, on one hub that I see a drop in traffic, a video is not ranking on the snippet with 14 seconds of the video being highlighted. That is definitely taking away a lot of my traffic from this hub.

1. Jean Bakula profile image91
        Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I saw this thread and came on because I have a sea of blue arrows today, and also had lower viewings for yesterday. Otherwise traffic was good earlier in the month. So this is normal? I have a lot of hubs and am nervous. The majority of my work is on Exemplore.com. and Owlcation, which I saw you mentioned.

I am seeing more gains than drops on the recently updated rankings of SEMRush for Exemplore. Drops are 1 or 2 spots the same as others. But this can lead to a lot of reduced traffic and blue arrows.

6. Dunbar Green profile image82
    Dunbar Greenposted 6 years ago

Pardon me for commenting off topic, but I haven't learned any other way to contact other Hub writers.
    I looked at your Hub page to discover your juju and noticed links in your tomato seed hub that connect one section to the others and allow skipping around using links while staying in your article. I like this. Will you please direct me to the page where you learned to put those links in?
    Thanks most kindly.

7. HoneyBB profile image94
    HoneyBBposted 6 years ago

I wonder if Google is running tests that give small blogs or websites more exposure than usual because the past few weeks whenever my numbers drop here , my numbers on my parenting site go up.

This is what Google says they are trying to do. They are trying to rank websites that deserve it, not just large websites.

8. hanikhalid profile image61
    hanikhalidposted 6 years ago

how can I add Pinterest to my article? can anyone help me?

It's all done automatically. You only need to add the content (text, pictures and videos).

but I m searching my article there it's not showing anything. What to do then?
        Being a new hubber i may be asking some silly questions so my apology in advance. I must say you are doing a good job your responses are very much helpful.

Pinterest is a social network not a search engine. It will show on Pinterest only after someone has shared it. Same as Facebook, Twitter, etc.

ok, thanks for clarifying it.

9. DrMark1961 profile image94
    DrMark1961posted 6 years ago

I still have not earned as much as last month but have already made 3 times what I did this time last year. (Last month was my best month ever, and I will probably do about as well this month.) I did not even remember my earnings from last year until I read your post and went back and looked at the numbers. Wow, what a difference.
    Yes, it is definitely worth it. Thanks to the HP team for finding the advertisers that help us and them, and thank you for pointing this out to all of us.

Yes, it's been a gradual increase for me, with months just getting better and better, did not even bother looking into last years amounts until yesterday smile

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image83

For the first 4 months of this year I doubled what I made for the same time period last year, although I'm not sure at this point if that trend will continue because everything has dropped now.  My best guess is that I must have taken a hit from the algorithm change from Google, but am not sure.  Everything should be heading up, not down, at this time of the year for me.

Same here, mine should be heading up each day for the past two weeks, but over the last few days, it's plateaued.

It’s affecting me too. Since April 17th my earnings headed down. But this has happened before and recovered, so I’m not concerned. Besides, it’s still a lot higher than it was a year ago.

10. Jan Saints profile image86
    Jan Saintsposted 6 years ago

Let what Google is testing fail! I want my traffic back!

11. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 6 years ago

Oh bother! Just when you think you're starting to get ahead!!

12. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 6 years ago

I'm not just saying, I added a screenshot to show everyone exactly what it looks like too smile

Yes, I agree with Glenn traffic is a lot higher than last year. This is because the niche sites are just that strong. If the video thing, for instance, did not happen traffic would be even better.

13. Dunbar Green profile image82
    Dunbar Greenposted 6 years ago

Thank you for the link to the directions. Happy Day!

You're welcome smile

14. Gloriousconfusion profile image92
    Gloriousconfusionposted 6 years ago

My daily income virtually doubled from March 17th 2018 onwards. It's still pretty low, but looking hopeful now.  Does anyone know what happened on March 17th that was so beneficial?  Was it the same for everyone, or just me?

15. Rob DeLuca profile image65
    Rob DeLucaposted 5 years ago

After the struggle, the reward. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)