Anyone wants to connect over Medium?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 69 discussions (320 posts)
  1. hclpd profile image83
    hclpdposted 2 years ago

I'm a new joinee. Admiteddly, a little overwhelmed. If you guys are already over there, help me find you.

Also, any tips to get started would be welcome.

While I've published a story, it has failed to gain any traction thus far.

It seems that there are in-house publications I need to aim for. I don't know how one is supposed to submit their work to those publications, though.

1. Solaras profile image82
      Solarasposted 2 years agoin reply to this

How do we find you?

1. hclpd profile image83
        hclpdposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Please go to my profile here. You'll find the link. Thanks!!

I must be a moron; I don't see the link.  Where should I look?  I checked the About page and I just see that I can send you an email.

1. Misbah786 profile image81
            Misbah786posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Here:

https://hubstatic.com/16013341.png

Done - Thank you!!

You are most welcome!! smile

2. hclpd profile image83

Thanks! I must credit you for a little surge in my followers. Once I get to 100, I'll focus on creating more content, tailored specifically for Medium.

I enjoy helping people. Don't worry. It's nothing!! smile
                Thanks to you for starting this discussion.

Stay Blessed!!

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have a magazine called "Born to Write." Some have told me it's the best on Medium. In it, I explain the site to you. It's best to open your own publication. I explain why in one of my articles.

The best way to get followers is to comment on articles that are similar to your own.

On average, 1200 words per article. Headline to be magazine style - not evergreen.

1. hclpd profile image83

Thank you. Still going over everything, reading as much as I can.

3. Mike Grindle profile image94
      Mike Grindleposted 2 years agoin reply to this

My Medium is a bit dead at the moment, but I'll give you a follow. I do plan on getting back on there soon.

4. Misbah786 profile image81
      Misbah786posted 14 months agoin reply to this

I have a piece of exciting news to share with you, Medium has opened its doors for Indian writers. Please find the information here: https://blog.medium.com/new-partner-pro … 35f8557f6e

2. Misbah786 profile image81
    Misbah786posted 2 years ago

I joined Medium about six months ago but never really took it seriously. I just posted a few of my HP articles there. If you want to connect on Medium, you can find the link to my profile on my HP's profile page. I think your forum post will encourage many HP writers to support each other's writing on Medium as well. Despite the fact that many people like Medium for a variety of reasons, I have always considered it to be a pretty dry site. (Just my opinion) I guess I only have 14 followers there. Lol!
    Best wishes to you!!

1. hclpd profile image83

Done!

Great!

2. Solaras profile image82

Funny - I have 14 followers as well.  Probably the same folks who follow everybody. lol

1. hclpd profile image83

Follow folks who are new to the platform. Find content similar to yours, and leave comments.

Yes, becoming religious with the act of reciprocating can be beneficial, but do you believe that everyone who started following you or who you follow on Medium will remain your true readers after a while? No, I believe. As all of your income from medium comes from direct sources. I think even 100 followers wouldn't be much help unless you do something to become very popular there, and I'm not sure what that thing could be. smile

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60

The thing to do is write about things that readers want to read. And that's mostly, a lucky guess.

You need about 3000 followers to get about 300 readers. Three hundred readers reading regularly with 8 minute articles should do it.

Thank you so much for sharing this information, Tess. Appreciated!  smile

You just need to get lucky with one or two articles, and then you're off. It took me a year.

I see. I doubt I'd ever be so fortunate, but I'm super happy for you. Thank you for sharing all of this helpful information with me, Tess. I truly appreciate it very much.  smile
                  Best wishes and Blessings!!

++

What a lovely coincidence. Actually, no the 2 -3 of 14 followers are HP fellow authors who also follow me on Medium. I'm following them as well. By the way, the number has now changed to 15. Wink! wink
        Best wishes!!

1. vidsagster profile image87
          vidsagsterposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I started following you Misbah, that's why. I hope you will do the same as I also want more followers on Medium.

Sure, Vidya. Done! smile
            Lots of Love & Blessings as always!!

1. vidsagster profile image87
              vidsagsterposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Misbah. Love and blessings.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image60

I think ti's the best site I've been on for years. It gives you the ability to earn in many different ways - all simply from your articles on Medium. It's not easy, though.

3. EricDockett profile image93
    EricDockettposted 2 years ago

I'm under the same name there as here. I tried to find you but couldn't.

I stopped contributing over there and deleted some of my content when they told me I couldn't get paid anymore because I didn't have 100 followers. In the light of recent events, I think it is time to try again.

In related news, I noticed this morning that I have 152 emails from Squidoo that I haven't responded to. I better get on that too.

1. hclpd profile image83

Please go to my Hubpages profile page. You'll find the link there. Just added it.

1. RonElFran profile image97
        RonElFranposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I followed you.

2. hclpd profile image83

Found you!

3. DrMark1961 profile image100
      DrMark1961posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Be sure to check for anything from Bubblews too. They are patiently awaiting your reply.

1. hclpd profile image83

Oh. I remember it. Made good money before they stopped paying altogether.

2. EricDockett profile image93
        EricDockettposted 2 years agoin reply to this

LOL. I don't have any of those. I know I wrote there so I must have used a different email.

However, in addition to Squidoo, I do have unaddressed emails from Infobarrel, Wizzley, and Zujava.

1. DrMark1961 profile image100
          DrMark1961posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Haha. I think I still have something from Yahoo answers too!!

4. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Squidoo? That went bankrupt and sold out to Hubpages about 7 years ago?

4. PaulGoodman67 profile image97
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

JJ Pryor does the best guides in my opinion (link below). I spent an entire week studying Medium before I published anything. There's an awful lot to learn.

https://medium.com/feedium/how-to-mediu … e8af8e95cc

I did relatively well when I joined almost a year ago, but the site is much tougher nowadays. Their algo is way less generous than it used to be and newbies (as Eric and Misbah point out) don't earn anything until they get 100 followers, which can take months.

Although you can write about anything on Medium, most topics don't do well in my experience, and most people earn either a very modest amount (coffee money) or nothing there.

1. Glenn Stok profile image94
      Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago

I’ve been writing on Medium for several years already, but I noticed their algorithm favors those who keep adding new content. Views die down quickly when we don’t add new content.

I was attracted to Medium because they don’t have ads, and I was worried that the overwhelming array of ads on HubPages would eventually destroy our success here. But I’ve changed my opinion, especially since I see we always have a growing audience from organic traffic on HubPages. I do get organic traffic on Medium, but we don’t get paid for that as we do with HubPages.

Bottom line, I’m losing interest in Medium. I still will remain somewhat active there, but I’m losing hope of its continued success. I read more than I write on Medium since many great authors are there. And I share a monthly review of other people’s articles on the site, in addition to several tutorials I wrote to help newbies.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image97
        PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree with all that Glenn said.

Medium can be a fun place to read and write. It's just not that great for earnings, unless you're prepared to put in an awful lot of work, and even then, any success is usually temporary and far from guaranteed.

They were pumping lots of money in when I joined, my daily earnings and monthly bonuses reflected that, but it always seemed unsustainable.

That writing competition they had was weird, too. There were huge prizes, but the winners wrote long essays that were completely atypical of the standard, popular Medium articles. The prize-winning authors seemed to appear out of nowhere, collect their money, and then disappear overnight.

1. Glenn Stok profile image94
          Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I noticed all that too, Paul. And those monthly bonuses were a strange thing. I wonder what they were trying to prove.

I thought the entire contest sounded suspect. This result was what I expected of it.

I just wanted to win so's I could meet Natalie Portman! big_smile

A worthy ambition!

Paul, I just stumbled upon your profile on Medium. You have 1.7 k followers. Wow!! Now following you on Medium as well!!

None of the people who won could actually write.

2. hclpd profile image83

One of the advantages of writing on Medium is the fact that you can churn out 300-500 word articles over there, with tonnes of options to monetize.

With screws tightening on Hubpages, there is no harm in trying out platforms like Vocal Media and Medium.

Talking about Vocal Media, is anyone from here on that platform?

1. SerenityHalo profile image92
          SerenityHaloposted 2 years agoin reply to this

It is nice that on Medium you can write shorter posts. Every once in a while, there is something short and sweet that needs to be said.

I do have a Vocal.Media account. It is much harder to grow there. The site doesn't have a lot of traffic coming to it -- it's comparable to one strong HP niche site. You get benefits if you sign up for the paid subscription, but it's all very modest. I've posted about 100 pieces on there, and I haven't received a lot of views, which is how you get earnings. I joined in November or December of last year. I've made the minimum for the payout twice. You can also decide when you want to receive the payout. The tips bypass everything and go directly to you.

Occasionally, I get tips from people or I'll get the $5 bonus for a top story. In my honest opinion, it would be better to hustle on Medium than getting bogged down by Vocal.Media.

Eugbug is right in that you can write a post on Medium seeking followers to get to the 100 mark. A lot of people do that. I did back in November, and it worked.

There is also something called Freedom With Writing that lists publications that are seeking articles. If you've been grinding on HP for a long time, you're probably ready to start submitting to other places.

Also, I'll follow any HP writers on Medium. It's a good way to connect outside of here.

1. hclpd profile image83

Got to 15. Should get to 100 in 2-3 days.

Thank you for sharing this detailed and valuable information, Andrea. We are already following each other on Medium. smile
            Blessings and Love to you!!

3. hclpd profile image83

I'll try both platforms out. I think I'm beggining to burn out writing for search engines.

1. SerenityHalo profile image92
              SerenityHaloposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a great idea to test out different platforms. I will say the Vocal.Media contact people are really easy to get in touch with and have answered my questions pretty quickly. I think they're trying to build a good experience for writers. They recently added comments.

3. TessSchlesinger profile image60

One will never earn passive income on Medium. It's formula is that of a newsheet or a weekly or monthly magazine.

It works in a different way to what it used to work, and I, for one, am greatful for that. Yes, I do write about 5 articles a week, but I happen to be a compulsive writer, so it's more difficult for me to stop writing than to find something to write about.

After building up a readership, readers will often read through your past articles, and all of that earns. Also, when you link to the various sites that enable artists to obtain patronage, it becomes a good source of income.

I don't plan to be on Medium forever. I am, however, leveraging the platform, to be able to write a web series eventually. When people on Patreon earn $25,000 a month for what they produce, I want to be there.

2. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

Write a soapbox story displaying your wares and asking whether anyone wants to follow you. Tell them you need to make the required quota of 100 followers. I did that and gained the required number fairly quickly. As regards submitting to publications, most want drafts rather than self-published content on the platform. The problem is it can take from days to weeks for them to publish stories. Some publications don't even bother replying, so you're left guessing. The publications I've managed to have content accepted on include Writers' Blokke, Everyday Science, Math Simplified, In Fitness and In Health, Gardening, Birding and Outdoor Adventure, Illumination, The Road to Wellness, The Cookbook for All, The Shortform, GetHealthy, Feedium, Synergy, The Haven and Geek Culture.

LOL - Clever Eugene.

Both Tony Lawrence (PCUnix on hubpages) decided early on to open our own Publications and write only for our own publications. Best decision we ever made. I strongly advocate it. I never submit to other magazines. Waste of time.

3. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

I have an idea. Why not create a Slack group of our own?

Should be helpful for writers looking to help each other out.

Let me know if you guys are in and I'll create a group.

Since several of my clients communicate through Slack, it will make things much easier.

1. hclpd profile image83

I'd like you all to respond to this idea smile

What's Slack?

1. hclpd profile image83

It's an app remote freelancers of a same team use to communicate to each other.

I was hoping that people here would know more about the tool, as it connects freelancers from all over the world with ease.

I see! I will explore this app later.

4. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 2 years ago

Hi Rahul. I joined last summer, haven't been as active as I'd hoped. But it's a great platform. You just have to work consistently to get any traction. I'll follow you.

Edit: Done!

I found you and followed you lol.  I can't find Misbah or Rahul. Maybe it is a country thing?

You can find the links to all of my profiles by clicking the home icon on my HP profile. It's not about country. I am in Spain.  smile

Thank you - Done!

Congratulations! You now have 15 followers wink

Thank you! We are creeping up in followers.

2. janshares profile image94
          jansharesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I can't find Rahul either. I'll find you now.
          Edit: Following! Thanks. smile

You can find the link to his medium profile by clicking the home icon on his HP profile. smile

Following you, Janis. smile

1. janshares profile image94

smile

3. hclpd profile image83

Not really. Just go to my Hubpages profile page and click on the Home icon. It should take your straight to my page.

2. hclpd profile image83

We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input!

5. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 2 years ago

Got it, thanks, Misbah. Followed back! smile

Thank you, Janis
        Much Love!! smile

6. EricDockett profile image93

I'm going through and following everyone in this thread and any other HP writers I can find. If I missed you please let me know. Of course I appreciate if you follow, but it feels so weird to even ask for that. Followers aren't something I ever worried about in 10+years on HP.

And just to be clear, I am not giving up on HP. Frankly, I really wish I didn't have to consider writing elsewhere. I will still write articles here, but I think it is well past time to try a few new things.

I'm very interested in seeing the kind of articles everyone posts over there. It is so different from HubPages.

1. hclpd profile image83

I'm gonna advertise shamelessly now. Please join the Slack group created for Hubpages smile

Thank you so much for your support, Eric. Followed back smile

7. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

So, I lost all my Medium followers overnight, except for 2.

Coukd anyone explain what might have caused it?

I think it's a glitch. I just counted you have 18 followers on your Medium profile

1. hclpd profile image83

Yeah. Most likely a glitch.

On a side note, please consider join in the Slack channel.

I've created it, but I'm its sole member thus far.

I don't particularly enjoy using social media platforms. I have Twitter and probably check it once a week. Let's see if anyone else on this forum can join you in the Slack channel. To be honest, I am a very disorganized person when it comes to punctuality. We have time difference, plus I suffer from insomnia. At times, even I am unsure of my online schedule. I don't like to conceal my faults, therefore I am being straightforward and honest. I hope you don't mind. smile

But I'll look into the slack app, and if it piques my interest, I'll let you know on this forum.

1. hclpd profile image83

Ahan. Of course, no worries. I understand.

Thank you so much!

2. Glenn Stok profile image94
        Glenn Stokposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Rahul, A few months ago, Medium deleted the accounts of people who follow for follow and don’t routinely read the articles of people they follow.

That’s why I only follow a few people so I can keep up with reading their content. That’s what Medium is focused on. They want readers since that’s where the money is.

When they changed the rules a few month ago, requiring 100 followers before you get paid, people started gaming the system, asking for followers. So Medium did a clean sweep, removing the accounts of those who followed but didn’t read enough. If this happened to you just now, maybe they are doing another sweep.

1. hclpd profile image83

It was a glitch. Back up to where I was.

At 35 now smile

Though it won't help as Stripe isn't fully functional in India.

Will have to wait an year or two, I reckon.

1. hclpd profile image83

++

Interesting. I didn't realize that. If that is true, it explains why my readership is now increasing.

Initially when people added me, my readership didn't increase. For the past few months, it has been.

8. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

25 followers now. It's not as difficult as I'd thought it would be.

If anyone needs me to check out their work/profile at Medium or Vocal, I'd be more than happy to.

9. Misbah786 profile image81

I have an idea: why not publish a story on Medium saying that we need 100 followers and then share the story on Twitter? There are a lot of medium writers on Twitter, and we can also retweet each other's tweets. It can help us all gain more followers. What are your thoughts? I think it is also a less time-consuming exercise.

1. hclpd profile image83

I should be at 100 by tomorrow or the day after tomorrow smile

Good Luck!

2. hclpd profile image83

If I can't, your suggestion is pretty neat, too.

10. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

Can we reproduce our content on Hubpages over there?

HP articles can be reposted to Medium without being flagged as duplicate content by setting a canonical link on the Medium post. It is to keep the Medium post from being indexed by Google, Bing, and other search engines. You can change the titles, update the text if you want to. You just have to add the canonical link in the advanced settings option before publishing your story.

https://hubstatic.com/16014164_f1024.jpg

11. Jodah profile image88
      Jodahposted 2 years ago

I have 98 followers on Medium. Just need two more…will gladly follow anyone back who follows me. Just added Rahul, Janis, and Eric.

1. janshares profile image94

Done!

One more to go, John. Cheers! smile
          Our HP community is wonderful!
          Best wishes dear friend.

Found you!

Woo-hoo Congratulations, John! smile

3. hclpd profile image83

Okay, done.

4. RonElFran profile image97
        RonElFranposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I just followed you.

12. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

The thing is, Medium doesn't aceept Asian or African countries into its Medium Partner Program as Stripe is still not operational in those continents.

The Good news is that Stripe is in preview mode in India. They should be launching anytime now.

13. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

50 now. Wow!

1. hclpd profile image83

54, actually!

1. hclpd profile image83

Around 70 now.

You are flying. Lol!  I hope all or at least half of your followers are also good and sincere readers. Can you look at the stats and see if they are also reading your stories, or what the ratio of views and followers is, that will give you a rough idea of how many people actually read. smile

As Tess mentioned above

"You need about 3000 followers to get about 300 readers. Three hundred readers reading regularly with 8 minute articles should do it."

Sending you Best wishes!!

1. hclpd profile image83

I've got around 100 views up until now, with about 70% of them converting to reads.

Is that supposed to be good?

I think that's very good!

That is very good - excellent in fact. A good read ratio is between 30% and 50%. One really good thing to do right from the beginning is to open your own publication because it will tell you how many hours people read each day.

I have six different magazines. Everything I write goes into a magazine. The magazine tells you the number of hours read each day. If you just publish to your stream, or you publish to someone else's magazine, you don't get this information. Also, if you publish to your own magazine, you are more likely to get your work distributed, plus things happen faster.

https://hubstatic.com/16017477_f1024.jpg

14. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

In any case, I'll be partnering up with zoksije fork US or UK for setting up MPP. Shoukd be smooth. We'll see.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar arrangement.

I'm not sure, but there are a lot of Indian and Pakistani writers on Medium. Stripe is not currently supported in both countries. So, if they're still writing and earning money on Medium, there must be a way out. smile

Best wishes!

1. hclpd profile image83

It's not like the folks at Medium are against people from India, Pakistan, or any other countries. I hope not.

So, I don't see how they'd reject this kind of approach. And I don't believe I'm the first one to come up with something like this either.

In any case, I'll keep you all updated.

At this rate, I should hit 100 in 2 days.

No, I don't believe they have anything against people from Pakistan, India, or any other nation. I, too, am a Pakistani living in Spain.

I think you'll find this useful:
            https://medium.com/@leondevilkpr/how-to … 4c0bbc1287

The article explains that It is possible to get paid through Medium in Pakistan or any other country that doesn’t support Stripe

1. hclpd profile image83

It doesn't work anymore. Thankfully, I have a more direct and straightforward approach.

Even if I don't get paid, it won't matter. I'll continue publishing over there. I just hope that my voice finds some eyeballs.

As it so happens, I'm working on an article relating to Hubpages. Everyone should know what's going on.

I see!

Regarding the mystery of how we are paid? The super-secret formula for payout?  I have considered writing something like that over there.

https://hubstatic.com/16017651.gif

2. hclpd profile image83

Yep. Nobody knows, unfortunately!

15. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

Thank you so much for your insight! I'll certainly look into it.

Since I'm more into gaming, maybe I'll establish something of my own after all.

16. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

Oh. And by the time way, 20 more followers to go till I get to 100.

17. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

90 now. 10 more to go!

18. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

5 more to go now.

19. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

Got it. Done! If anyone else wants to cross over that threshold, please let me know.

Congratulations! smile

1. hclpd profile image83

Thank you. Around 115 now. How I wish the MPP was available here. That platform is tailor-made for someone like me.

Well, you're getting there yourself. And I can see that you've published more lately. So, good luck!

Yes, I've published some of my old HP articles there; I'm just experimenting with the site to see how responsive it is. I don't think it's as dry as I always think it is. As they say, "live and learn." smile
            Best regards!!

1. hclpd profile image83

I submitted my first post to a publication. It seems that getting your posts published through them helps with the numbers quite a bit.

That's great. Thanks for sharing this helpful information.

1. hclpd profile image83

130 now. The last post being accepted by a reasonably established publication has helped for sure!

130? I can see 258. Is this a glitch or something? If it's not a glitch, it's really awesome!! Keep going! Self-trust is faith. We can't really go anywhere without it. smile

20. Misbah786 profile image81

Finally, I have 100 followers on Medium!!! smile

1. hclpd profile image83

Yay! Congratulations! Unlike me, you might actually start seeing money rolling in!

Wishing you the best of luck.

Just a humble suggestion; try to be more evocative and elaborate with your headings and subtitles smile

Thank you for your warm wishes and suggestion. I'll pay more attention to headings and subtitles. I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness. smile
          Best wishes and Blessings!

2. Jodah profile image88
        Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well done, Misbah! I am on 100 as well. I doubt it will make much difference to me though, but at least we have the chance to earn.

Congratulations, John! I am so happy for you, dear friend. Let's see what Medium has to offer smile

I'm not sure what I'll be able to make out of Medium, but I'm so proud of my daily cents on HP. Lol! cool

Blessings always!

21. Misbah786 profile image81

So now I have 2k Followers big_smile

https://hubstatic.com/16022370.png

It's a lovely glitch. I hope it stays forever. Lol!

Here's a tip. When people search for you on Medium, they can't find you because your url does not include your entire name.

I found your account through searching for it on Google.

Your readership is low. I can see that from your lack of claps and very few comments. It doesn't matter how many followers one has. It's how many readers one has. Unfortunately, there is no metric for that - unless people subscribe to you.

May I suggest some things to better your chances.

1. Open a publication. Call it recipes or by your name. That is what is going to be searched for.

2. Write only on your publications. It reaches readers quicker, and it is far more likely that your story will be distributed.

Thank you so much for the tip, Tess. Yes, I was using the username 'Misbah786' at first, but I later changed it to my real name, Misbah Sheikh. How can I change the name in the URL now? Is there anything I can change in the settings? smile

Edit: Thank you very much for your suggestions. I'm guessing you edited your comment afterwards, or maybe I didn't read it all the way through before. smile
          I haven't spent much time on Medium, and the pieces I have published there are my old HP hubs. I understand that I would need to invest more time and energy on Medium to make it work, and nobody can get a lot of readers in 5-6 days. I hope this makes sense.
          As of today, I have 155 views and 81 readings in the last 7 days. I don't think it's that bad, but I need to put in more effort; it takes time to grow smile

Best wishes and Blessings!

That's a pretty good ratio.

Yes, it does take time.  It took me a year. Also, luck has a lot to do with it. Yes, I did add a bit later. I really, really think it's essential to start your own publication. The publication will have the name in the URL.

Here are examples of two of my magazines.

https://medium.com/tessas-web-log
            https://medium.com/born-to-write

In the first one, I put my first name. In the second one, I just put the magazine name.

So if you open a publication and use your name, it will allow people to find if they search for you. You can also open as many magazines as you like.

Hope that helps.

Tess, thank you again for your help. I've just discovered that I can modify the URL. But the problem is that there is already a member on Medium with my name, therefore I can't use my name in the URL. But, I did something: I changed my username from misbah786 to misbahsheikhh (with double h). Maybe the medium search will be able to find my profile now. 

I'll do more research on publications and magazines. I've been extremely busy recently. I'm hoping to find some time to manage my Medium profile. I sincerely appreciate your kindness. Take care and stay blessed. smile

22. Abby Slutsky profile image93
      Abby Slutskyposted 2 years ago

Be patient. If your content is well written, it well get to the right place. I didn't read your article, but it takes a while to make any money here. Personally, I think the trick is to have a lot of well-written articles. You will find that most of your views come from only a few articles. I would recommend doing a search of similar articles to identify key words that you should incorporate in yours. Also capitalize my title has a title analyzer that is pretty good. You can play around with titles to see what has the best chance of getting views. It will tell you optimal length, seo score and so forth. I try to focus on a high ease of reading score. I figure if it is easy to read maybe it will have more mass appeal. Even so, it is really just the luck of the draw. Some people find that if they become an expert in a topic that helps (multiple articles on same or similar subject). I hope this helps. Good luck.

Hi Abby, I guess you meant to post this comment somewhere else but accidentally posted it in this forum. We were discussing about Medium smile

2. Olealea profile image72
        Olealeaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

What about story writting?

Hi, Olea.There is a network site on HubPages named 'LetterPile'. If your stories, poetry, creative writings, religious studies articles, etc are of good quality and editors feel appropriate they'll move your hub to there. If not, you can always submit your articles manually after every 14 days.
          Hope that helps. Best wishes!!

1. hclpd profile image83

I just saw that your number of followers has increased to 144 now.  Good job!

Yes. Thank you! smile
              Best wishes to you!

23. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

Oh. This post is still alive. Let's keep it that way smile

This post has helped many people, including myself. Thank you for creating it.

24. hclpd profile image83
      hclpdposted 2 years ago

Got your mail, Misbah. Not the first one you referred to, though.

I sent it to you again!

25. Misbah786 profile image81

Anyone who wants to join MPP but is unable to do so because Stripe does not support your country, I believe, can do so by opening an online bank account with 'Wise,' and if any of your relatives or friends live abroad, you can use their address with their permission, and it'll be all set.  smile

26. Misbah786 profile image81

So, with 12 metered stories in 23 days, this is my first earnings on Medium.

https://hubstatic.com/16057346.png

https://hubstatic.com/16057347_f1024.jpg

I know it appears to be a little funny, but at least better than nothing and a source of encouragement. Anyone wants to share their experience? smile

As with HubPages, you have to be very targeted in your approach to earn any substantial amount of money. Just randomly publishing stuff generally won't work.

I did a substantial amount of research before I posted anything at Medium. Even then, I had quite a few duds and continue to do so.

You can earn fifteen or twenty dollars a day or more from an article at Medium, but it tends to be a temporary and infrequent experience, certainly for me.

I see. Thank you for sharing that, Paul. As for me, I only have 288 followers on Medium. I believe half of them are not members of the medium partner program.

According to my stats, I have 460 reads and some 726 views. But the pay isn't that great. Maybe because the readers aren't the paying members  smile

The number of followers doesn't matter all that much. Not as much as you might think, anyway. 

Exposure depends primarily on the Medium algorithm, so getting articles curated is the number one priority.

Just as HP is about pleasing the Google algo, with Medium you have to please the Medium algo.

Getting published in reasonable sized publications can be good, too, when you're starting out.

1. eugbug profile image95
              eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Even getting curated isn't necessarily good enough, but of course it depends on subject. I've had lots of articles curated/chosen for distribution (is that the same thing?) but they subsequently only got a handful of reads.

Yes, it's certainly no guarantee of success, but the algo doesn't take you seriously without it, so the article's effectively doomed from the get-go.

Whereas followers aren't that important. It looks good if you have a lot but they don't seem to have that much practical effect (unless you need a hundred for the earnings prog.).

27. EricDockett profile image93

I used to be in the partner program but got kicked out because I didn't have enough followers. Now I'm over the 100 follower limit and I guess I can reapply. hmm

I made a few coins before even though I wasn't taking it seriously. I am still trying to figure out how to be active over there and what kinds of articles to write.

I am finding, lately anyway, that Medium gives me a brain break from all of the frustrating happenings on HubPages. I can write little articles about whatever I want, and actually enjoy writing again for a change. But I don't think that is a good long-term plan.

For anyone posting HP articles with the canonical tag, how has that gone? I guess I could always give my HP articles a second life over there, but I'd want to be sure not to hurt the original in search.

Hi, Eric. I think it's a nice idea to reapply for the partner program. smile

I've posted some of my HP articles on medium. Yes, some of them appears in search results as well. It's not good, I think.
        I'm thinking about removing them from Medium.. 

Maybe you'll find this helpful:

https://hubpages.com/community/forum/35 … e-indexing

Best wishes!! smile

I had an issue with a Medium guide outranking the Hubpages version and appearing at the top of SERPs. So I deleted it. It was getting lots of external traffic, and I temporarily put up a diversion sign (a roadworks sign from Pixabay big_smile ) saying that the article had been moved and I routed traffic via a link to Hubpages. I discovered that this sort of action was against the TOS, so rather than drawing the wrath of Medium, it was probably best to get rid of it.

I temporarily put up a diversion sign (a roadworks sign from Pixabay big_smile). . . Lol! Another enterprising idea! tongue

3. PaulGoodman67 profile image97

Copying stuff over from HP is generally a waste of time, in my experience. It's easy to do, but the resulting views are low and earnings are peanuts. The two sites are very different.

You can write about anything you want on Medium, but there are probably less than twenty topic areas/approaches that are capable of earning hundreds or more per month.

28. Misbah786 profile image81

Thank you so much, Paul and Eugene, for your helpful and insightful suggestions. I feel I need to spend more of my time and energy discovering the truth about what Medium expects from its writers.
      Best wishes and Blessings!! smile

Don't forget to add Pinterest to your social media article marketing suite. It can be lucrative for bringing in traffic (to Hubpages)

Eugene, this may sound silly, but when I started writing on HubPages, I was sharing my articles on Pinterest, got discouraged when I linked my Pinterest account to my HP profile, and some random spammers started sending messages to my Pinterest account. I have removed the contact and Pinterest buttons from my HP profile for the same reason. I am not a big fan of social media platforms, but now using Twitter to promote some of my hubs and Medium articles. I should start pinning my HP articles again. Thanks for the helpful suggestion.  smile

Maybe report them it to Pinterest if it happens again. If you're on Facebook, there's a couple of groups that allow you to share new stories. Personally I found Pinterest the only really lucrative source of traffic. The problem with Twitter is that tweets disappear down the stream whereas on Pinterest, the same pins can be repeatedly shown to people that have an interest in a subject.

Yes, you are right. The tweets disappear quickly. No, I do not use Facebook. But I have now reconnected Pinterest to my HP profile. smile

29. FatFreddysCat profile image84
      FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

I've started an account on Medium as well. Haven't posted anything yet, as I figured it would be a good idea to explore the site a bit and figure out the lay of the land first.

Not sure when I'll post any writings but if anyone wants to follow me in the meantime, hit me up: https://medium.com/@keitheabt .

I just followed you. By the way, here's the correct link:

https://medium.com/@keitheabt

The one you provided isn't working, maybe due to the period at the end. Geez, who does that? tongue wink

Best wishes! smile

1. FatFreddysCat profile image84
          FatFreddysCatposted 2 years agoin reply to this

D'oh! Fixed, Yeah, it was the period at the end screwing things up. Thanks for the follow big_smile

No problem smile

30. Carb Diva profile image99
      Carb Divaposted 2 years ago

I am following you on Medium and enjoy your writing.

Linda, it's wonderful that we can still comment on each other's work, even if it's on Medium. smile
        Blessings and Lots of Love to you as always!

31. Misbah786 profile image81

I think it’s gonna be a tough job, but I've recently created my own Medium publication. I've decided to post my work on Medium under my own name.  I would love to see you all around. Here’s the link: https://medium.com/misbah-sheikhs-lifestyle
      Wish me luck! smile

Can I be brutally honest about it?

Sure! I don't mind smile

I'm not mad on the pinkish background. I think you should keep it simple and use white. Pink might be a novelty at first but could become onerous if someone is reading articles on it. You could lighten the colour so that it's really pale. It's subjective though of course. As regards the header, you could add an image, but you can run into problems. I tried adding an image to the header of my profile and publication, but I found that because of the different screen formats that people use, header text can be difficult to read as it moves around the image. (Think of a sky with clouds and you've used white text. Then the text ends up on clouds when  its shifted to a different position of the image on a mobile device). So I ended up using a solid colour, but graded is OK too.

Thank you so much, Eugene. I also didn't like using the pink color at first, but here's why I did:

https://hubstatic.com/16059379.png

I greatly appreciate your help and support. smile

Lol! My mistake.... I was reading 'pick' as 'pink' . . . Silly me! big_smile
                Sorry, I think it’s just a woman thing. tongue
                I'll change the color now.  smile

Have a look at some of the other publications and see what works and what doesn't. You can also use more "fancy" text for the name of your publication (created as part of the header image) rather than overlaid plain text.

I created a logo with canva as well as the cover image of the publication but can't see it. All I can see is the avatar I am using. Maybe I can use the logo as Header?

It's a while since I messed around with the layout so I've forgotten how to change things. As far as I recall, there's a a couple of logos, one that appears on headers and one elsewhere on the site, when the site is listed. Maybe there's a problem with dimensions? Are you using the new beta version or old layout system?

Edit: They call them the "Publication avatar" and "Publication Logo". The logo is the small image that can appear on a header. The logo must be 400 pixels minimum for each side and the avatar must be at least 1000 pixels per side.

There's also a "Publication Cover Image". I added one, but have never seen it appear anywhere.

I'm using the old editor version, but things might be different on the new one.

This would be correct. Readers prefer to read black on white. Pcunix on hubpages (Anthony Lawrence on Medium) has an article on it somewhere.

Hey, Tess. Can you please check it now? I have updated it to make it look better, as Eugene suggested.

That looks nice now and I like the colour (It matches up with the colour in the articles also) The logo on the publication is a bit difficult to read though. Maybe the font is a bit thin? I know it says "Welcome to Misbah Sheikh's Lifestyle" because that text is already the title on the publication, however if the logo appears elsewhere, there could be a problem. I'm trying to remember are there two sizes the logo can be? Is that the small or large size?

I am trying to edit the logo, Eugene. I am using the Medium version, the larger one takes too much space on the page and the small one is too tiny. Maybe I can make a new logo or edit the font?

The logo looks good but it seems to be the middle bar in the "E" and the top of the "T" that are disappearing, so maybe those parts of the letters are thinner in that style of font? I'm not sure there's a lot you can do if you want to fit that amount of text into a small space. You could do something abstract around MSL? But that makes it sound like some sort of corporation. I'm not an expert by any means on the subject, just thinking aloud.

Much better. Good luck. In order to get readers, find people who write similiar things to you, read through their stuff, and make remarks that make it obvious that you have read their article.

A percentage will click on your article, and because you're writing similar things to them, may well read your articles.

Good luck.

Thank you so much, Tess smile

Excellent. My stuff started taking off when I started my own publications. The advantage is that, at the bottom of your story, there are links to your other stories in that publication.

If you publish in someone else's publication, then the links below will not be to your stories, but to the stories of other writers. You will also not be able to get a unique view of how many hours your stories have been read for.

Thanks for sharing that information, Tess. smile
          Stay Blessed!

3. Misbah786 profile image81

I sincerely wanted to thank Eric Dockett, Paul Goodman, John Hansen, Andrea Lawrence, and Mr. Glenn Stok for following my publication. Please accept my heartfelt gratitude. I truly appreciate your love and support.

Blessings to all! smile

32. Jodah profile image88
      Jodahposted 2 years ago

Good luck Misbah. I just followed your publication.

Thank you so much, John. I am forever grateful for your continued support and encouragement. smile
        Stay Blessed!!

33. Brenda Arledge profile image81
      Brenda Arledgeposted 2 years ago

This is all very intriguing.   I digned up fir medium a long time ago, but I've done nothing with it.
      I might check it out after bit, but I've got to look up my password.

Bredz, if you signed up using your Gmail, your password will be the same as your Gmail password. smile

34. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

I don't like the way the script text breaks through the "perimeter", but that's just me. It just looks as if it's too big for the surrounding ring and not fitting, but all of this is subjective. Someone else could interpret it as "Misbah Sheikh's Lifestyle" breaking through the barrier. Technically though, the problem is that the script font is fine if the logo is large as shown, but when it's shrunk, it can't be read. Are you drawing the script text or using a font?

35. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

I like the original one best. Can you show us the image to see why parts of the letters in "Welcome To" are not displaying?

36. Misbah786 profile image81

https://hubstatic.com/16059811.png

I am using a font

Yes, just as suspected it's the tiny thin bars that are disappearing when it's shrunk.

okay, I'm changing the font then

Maybe do some research into suitable fonts for logos. I Googled "suitable fonts for logos" and there are lots of guides.

https://hubstatic.com/16059815.png

Hmm, well that's overly plain smile The script font you used previously, is there anything similar? The lowercase letters in it were very small and the capitals very large. What application did you say you were using for design?

I am using Canva. I also liked the previous font. Maybe I can only use the initials? But what it would be? MSL?

I actually like the font though. What is it called? You could just lose the "Welcome to", then you could scale the script up inside the black disk. MSL is probably fine if you're a corporation or organisation. Not sure it sounds right for a publication. Do we know of any publications on topics like yours that just go by initials? It is just the logo though. You have the full text on the header.

This publication is used only the initial as a logo
                    https://medium.com/quantodian-publications

The font is named as Amsterdam one

37. Misbah786 profile image81

https://hubstatic.com/16059813.png

Or maybe this?

I think it's too ornate. A logo should be simple and all the twirly things would be just a blur when shrunk.

38. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

Maybe somebody else more expert with graphic skills could chip in? I don't want to be sending you down the wrong path as regards design. However I do think a logo should be simple and uncluttered. Think of all the logos that you can remember. Many use as little text as possible, typically one or two words or just initials so they're easily recognizable.

Lol! Okay
        By the way, using only initials sounds like a nice idea. Thanks for your help, Eugene smile

39. Misbah786 profile image81

https://hubstatic.com/16059823.png

This?

I think I can use this one for now. Maybe I can change it later. hmm

40. Misbah786 profile image81

This looks like a restaurant logo:

https://hubstatic.com/16059828_f1024.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am gonna use this one for now:

https://hubstatic.com/16059829_f1024.jpg

41. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

Here's a quick one I made up. Like I say, I'm not a graphic artist, so I'm chancing my arm smile I think the light gray is a bit too dark though.

https://hubstatic.com/16059830.jpg

Aww... That's so kind of you, Eugene.

What about this shade of gray?

https://hubstatic.com/16059832.png

Maybe. Don't forget to centre align everything, vertically and horizontally. Try both and see how they look. The font is a bit thin though. I used a font called "Ink Free" and that's the bold style. There might be something heavier available. I'll have a look tomorrow. Meanwhile I have to get around to having my tea!

i just created this. Thanks a lot for your help and time. I disturbed you a lot today. I am really sorry for that. 
            Thanks a bunch! Have a great time. smile

https://hubstatic.com/16059837.png

No you didn't disturb me, happy to help smile I hope you get lots of readers now of the publication.

Thank you so much. Stay blessed! smile

42. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

I think I preferred the header the way you had it originally with a shorter vertical dimension and the logo to the left of text. It seemed to fit in better than having it stuck on top. I think placing the logo there creates an awful lot of blank space which isn't doing anything else. Just my thoughts.

I think you are right, Eugene. I was too tired yesterday. I think I chose the large format by mistake. I'll fix it later this afternoon, after my hectic psychology seminar is finished. big_smile

Once again, thank you so much for your kindness smile

PS: I will post a comment here after updating it smile

Don't worry about it too match. As long as it looks reasonably OK. You can change it later. Better to concentrate on adding content.

Yes smile

43. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

Out of interest, as regards the logo, I Googled "lifestyle logos" to see what other people are using. Medium is limited in that the logo has to fit into a small square format, but you can of course not display the logo on the header and incorporate it instead into a background image. You would have to check that it isn't obscured by any text (which gets moved around on different display devices). I checked my publication on a phone yesterday and the title and subtitle seem to get wrapped on the narrower format display.

Eugene, you are right. It isn't eye appealing, at least not on the mobile version.

https://hubstatic.com/16060527.png

I'll fix it as soon as I can and will let you know. I sincerely appreciate your help and support. smile

44. Misbah786 profile image81

Eugene, how about this one?

https://hubstatic.com/16060999.png

I have also edited the homepage layout size. I think it looks better now. What do you think? smile

45. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

Try it on the medium sized header and see how it looks. I think the lower case letters might still be a bit difficult to read. I know I said initials look odd, but I'm having second thoughts now. You could also try a nice scripted "M" on its own in the centre of the black disk? I Googled "script font letter m" to find these images.

https://hubstatic.com/16061007_f1024.jpg

46. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 2 years ago

Free fonts for commercial use:

https://www.fontspace.com/commercial-fonts

Oh! So sorry….  I was away… going to check them now smile

You can put some text into the text box on that site and see how it looks. Maybe something  else could go into the disk, like an abstract symbol representing lifestyle?

Yes, I like that site. Thanks for sharing that smile
            How about this? Do you think it's readable?

https://hubstatic.com/16061146.png

Try it at medium size on the publication and see. Am I on the wrong track with the single letter M?

No, no. That's a nice idea. I was just trying smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)