Quit Following? Why?

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (55 posts)
  1. G Miah profile image69
    G Miahposted 14 years ago

I  was just one follower away from reaching 100 followers, when suddenly i realised one follower quit following me. So now i need two followers to reach 100!

This made me think, wouldn't it be fantastic if hubbers who quit following other hubbers had an opportunity to leave a reason for quitting following other hubbers?

What do you think? Please leave your thoughts regarding this issue.

Personally, i would love to know why someone quit following me, so i wouldn't sit there thinking about the reasons why they did, when i could read their reason and try to rectify any problems so other people don't quit following either.

Thank you for your participation in advance, and i hope hubpages staff think of this idea.

1. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really dont care if people follow me. I write for me.

2. darkside profile image57
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You must waste a lot of time wondering and worrying about what others think of you, instead of writing and publishing and giving to the ones who are still your fans.

You don't need to know what they want. They want a lot of different things. But for some reason (the ones that are real fans) want what you have. So don't second guess yourself, be who you are, it's easier than trying to be all things to all people.

G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Err, thanks for your view Darkside, but no, i don't waste my time worrying and thinking of what other people think of me. In fact, like you said, i actually concentrate on being myself and trying to improve myself.

I was sitting with my laptop before and noticed someone quit following me, so i just started to wonder, what if that person had the option to let me know why they left. This is the whole reason behind creating this thread.

I am spending my precious time creating hubs to publish in the next few days, so i am not 'underestimating the power of the darkside'!

Thanks for your opinion.

2. Internetwriter62 profile image73
        Internetwriter62posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dark Side,
        I know how G MIah Feels, I lost someone today for the first time since I joined. It kind of makes me wonder, what did I do wrong. But after reading what you wrote. I feel a whole lot better. Thanks for your kind words.

3. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

G Miah, it's very likely there isn't a problem to rectify.

Followers are supposed to sign up because they admire  your writing, but the reality is different. 

First, there are those who think following is a mutual admiration society. They join your fan club expecting you to join theirs.  When you don't, they get pouty and drop out.

Then there are the newbies who join a whole heap of fan clubs, write a few Hubs then get impatient when they don't get traffic, give up and close their account - and you lose a follower.

They may also be the kind of people who write spammy Hubs and get their account deleted by HubPages - again, you lose a follower.

The final reason is overload.  Keeping up with everyone's Hubs is a challenge, so sometimes I'll stop following because they've started writing on topics I'm not interested in.  That's not to say other people won't be interested in those topics.

Marissa, i totally agree with you on everything you have said. I understand the reasons behind people quitting following.

I also understand that it's not really important to have followers, but it gives you confidence and courage to keep writing when you see your followers are growing. All i suggested was if HP had added a section where people could, if they wanted to, leave their reasons as to why they left if they did so purposely.

At least, this would be optional, and not compulsory.

Let's leave this subject here, and i would like to thank everyone who shared their views and opinions.

4. flread45 profile image59
      flread45posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes hubbers quit hubpages,and that is a nofollow:)

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I always leave for a reason.
    And the hubber in question knows perfectly well why I did it.  Leaving a message of the reason why, is irrelevant and can be hurtful.

Anyone that quits does it for a reason, i agree, but if there was an option to leave a reason would act as an advantage to the hubber in question so they could improve their work.

I think quitting without a reason has a hint of hurt in it aswell, but if that person knew the reason they could understand why or what was wrong.

Thanks.

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fans leaving is not about quality ! LOL

They leave because they don't agree with you on certain topics mostly.
        Some leave because they're leaving hubpages, or got banned forever.

2. profile image0
        Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

could just be that they left hubpages. I loose fans on a regular basis due to..umm...certain peopel leaving and coming back.  wink

3. steffer profile image61
    stefferposted 14 years ago

This is a good idea
    that way, we as hubbers are able to improve our work.

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So, you have written more than 80 hubs, been her for 9 months, and you still don't know if you're a good writer or not ?
      And do you think fans go, just because you're a bad writer ? They leave because they disagree with you on different topics,not because you make mistakes on your performance as a writer. LOL

4. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I lost about 12-20 followers so far, some left because of my view towards religion, some left because of fake account fanning spree. Lesson learned: followers/hubscore hardly matters so concentrate on content of hub and enjoy the life.

5. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Requiring an explanation for leaving is no more relevant than requiring an explanation for becoming a fan. 

This last week my number of fans has bounced up and down several times, but you know what?  The fans I know and enjoy are still there!  I figure it is spammers (those who become a fan of everyone) leaving HP or someone who read one article, signed up and then found out that most of my writing did not appeal to them.  I am not going to write to impress or try and keep one or two people.  It is not worth the sacrifice of being who you are.

If you are worried that it is the quality of your writing that is loosing you fans, then improve the technical aspects of them without out loosing sight of why you write.

1. relache profile image68
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Users should be able to follow whomever they wish, or stop, without having to justify themselves.

6. gamergirl profile image89
    gamergirlposted 14 years ago

Psst, G Miah, congrats on 100 fans. tongue

Thanks Gamergirl!

Some people do leave or are spammers, but there are some who do have reasons, e.g. not agreeing on some topics, especially religious ones, who would probably leave a reason if they had an option.

If you can leave fanmail, then leaving quitmail wouldn't hurt.

Anyways...

1. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If they wanted to leave a message they could do so on the hub they left because of..or whatever...

The only thing I like to know, is WHO left. This way I can stop following them too.

The more fans you have the harder it is to figure out WHO is still your fan and who isn't. .

7. G Miah profile image69

Fantastic!!! I've just made two new followers to reach 100 followers!! Thank you!

8. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Sometimes they not only leave you, but everyone, including HP. Many of us lost one recently when Kimberly left. Many more shall follow.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, sweet Charlie, where are they all going?

Fans are really great.  My #1 priority will always be organic traffic.

9. Ohma profile image61
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I miss Kimberly.

10. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Losing fans means nothing.  You can't write for fans (getting or keeping them).  I'm totally certain I am going to lose fans due to my new hub.  So what?  What does it actually cost me? 

Be yourself. Write for you. (Unless you're ONLY here to make money, in which case you must dance for your pittance as the organ grinder dictates and the crowds reward.)

11. wrenfrost56 profile image53
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Sometimes you lose followers because they move on from HP, I would try not to take it personally. smile

12. BeccaHubbardWoods profile image87
    BeccaHubbardWoodsposted 14 years ago

I don't particularly like the idea. Everyone I've quit following was for a reason and I don't think I should explain myself. I think it would start more petty fights on here than are already happening.

1. The10DollarMark profile image61
      The10DollarMarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the quit mail would have been optional.

13. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I believe the only time I've lost fans so far is when somebody packed up and left hp - but can't be sure.

14. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Congrats on reaching 100 Fans. smile

However, the idea of a person giving a reason for un-fanning someone is irrelevant.

15. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

Deborah, would you really un-fan someone automatically because they quit following you? What if they kept writing really interesting articles?

When I deleted everything from Hubpages, I "quit" being a fan of those I was following but it was nothing to do with them. And now of course, I don't know who they were. I think I un-fanned someone once, or considered it, because he didn't write new hubs (like I don't now, I really have to quit writing in a notebook because once it's written, the need is gone and it never makes it online  hmm).

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would and do.
      When I quit following someone I want them to stop following me and feel others may feel this way too.

I can still read their articles if I wish..it's just: why follow someone who doesn't want to follow you?

When someone fans me I also fan them as soon as I am aware.

1. MyWebs profile image78
        MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Deborah If this was twitter and you followed me I would probably follow you right back unless I really didn't like your type of tweets.

But here on HP I only follow back those who write about subjects I truly care to occasionally read about. A person may be the best hubber on parenting. But I have no kids now and could care less about the subject really.

So I only follow those who write about topics I care about and I hope those who follow me do so for the same reason. If others follow me thinking I will automatically follow them back, they are mistaken.

What is the point of having a ton of fans if none of them ever read or comment on your hubs? It is just a meaningless number at that point.

I guess this is why I always thought having a ton of friends on MySpace was just as pointless. At least on Twitter they may click my link, go read my hub and click on my ad.

"..it's just: why follow someone who doesn't want to follow you?"

Maybe you like my topics but I don't like yours or vice versa? I sure don't expect everyone I follow to like my topics, writing style or lack of sense of humor. I guess we can agree to disagree. smile

1. Lynda Gary profile image59
          Lynda Garyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ah, so THAT'S the reason, MyWebs ... I write about parenting.  LOL
          Love ya anyway. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

Deborah, sounds like you're completely misunderstanding what following is about.

It's not a friend thing.  You follow someone because you're interested in their articles.  For instance, someone follows me - I go and look at their Hubs, and they're all about cars or video gaming.  There's no way on earth I want to read those Hubs, so why would I follow them?

I have quite a few fans, but I follow only a small handful of people whose work I genuinely admire.

16. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Personally, I'm not really affected by who is following me and who decides not to. Too much mind-boinking to try to keep up with all the whys and wherefores for me. I've only unfollowed a few people, but it was for very specific reasons. I didn't clue into fans and followers for a long time after I got here. I was kind of surprised after I learned about it. I guess I'm slow that way.

Probably just as well for me.
    wink

17. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

people unfollow me all the time. i don't give it a second thought, nor do i try to find out who it was. if they want to go, let them go. i'm sure they had their reasons.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image66
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Better than people following you roll

1. AEvans profile image72
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are so naughty,lololo I love your sense of humor. big_smile

2. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it is, actually. who wants followers that don't like you? not me. love me or leave me alone - that's my motto...

Hi cosette. I think I lost the thread of this one... many moons have passed since I wrote that inscription roll wink

2. profile image0
          kimberlyslyricsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

indeed a great motto

2. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

or not. some people do stuff with no reason. Or have real lives and do stuff that has nothing to do with me. I dont worry about it.
      I figure if I lost a fan, and they wanted me to know why, they would have emailed me.

18. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

For every one that leaves two you will gain, here is what I have found in the past 2 1/2 years of being here.

1. Hubbers quit or are banned and they are eliminated from your list.

2. The ones who have commented sometimes actually fall off , I have found that if I do not accept there comment again they will suddenly disappear.

3. You peeve someone off which is a silly reason to un-follow and honestly I did that a couple of times and realized how immature it was so I followed them again. Because someone upsets you does not mean you stop following there work, especially if you enjoy it.

4. Don't worry about who is following you, just keep reading, writing and loving other people's work. Try to visit the ones who are following you although it can be hard at times we have to always try to be appreciative. Even if it is through a hub, a comment, or a personal thank you. smile

19. tony0724 profile image60
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I have been holdin steady at 10 fans for a year and a half now !

20. G Miah profile image69

That's what it's all about, following someone for their work. Not just for the fun of it.

21. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I have never noticed fans de-fanning me hmm
    If they have I didn't notice so have no clue who they may be and am not really bothered.
    I guess I could lose and gain close enough together to not notice smile

At the end of the day I am quite happy with my fan base, its not like every singe one comes and reads every single hub I publish but I do get reads from fans soon after publishing and that makes me happy smile

22. ab420 profile image61
    ab420posted 14 years ago

You can't keep everyone happy.  Just be true to yourself and write what you feel is good quality content.  The rest will fall into place in time. wink

23. Lynda Gary profile image59
    Lynda Garyposted 14 years ago

If someone WANTS to tell you why, that's one thing: They can do so by sending you a private email (if you haven't changed your setting to prohibit that option).

Mandatory explanation? NO WAY!

Worrying about it?  Really, we all have more important things to worry about.  BUT, if you start losing A LOT of fans, then you might need to look into it.

I couldn't tell you how many fans I have at any given time without looking.  And, I don't read ALL of the new hubs from hubbers I'm following.  There isn't time.

I "follow" those who follow me, regardless of whether I'm interested in their writing, though.  It just seems like the "supporting" thing to do.  And I follow people who write things that interest me, whether or not they follow me back.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

Lynda, that's your choice. Just remember that having followers does nothing for a Hubber, other than feed their ego.  Whereas if you follow a select small band of Hubbers, and therefore give yourself time to visit and "thumb" or comment on all their new Hubs, you are contributing to their success.

24. Internetwriter62 profile image73
    Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

I personally don't like to quit following anyone, once I choose to follow them, I try to make it a commitment. Unfortunately, a couple of the hubbers I chose to follow did not answer my fan mail or work towards having a respectable ranking. If I follow someone who is a newbie and they don't manage to get a ranking that is more than 1 and they seem to have no hubs or a lot of duplicate content, I will stop following, because I feel they are not being serious enough. I like to follow those work hard and are helpful in the community.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

There is no way to answer fan mail.

1. Internetwriter62 profile image73
        Internetwriter62posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What I meant Marisa was to approve my fan mail. I was this hubber's only fan and I wrote this person some really supportive things in my fan mail, yet they totally ignored me. Plus this hubber's ranking never went beyond 1, so I decided I didn't want to follow.

25. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

smile

i know..smile

I find it hard to avoid getting competitive about follower numbers (or I used to). A good antidote is to notice that quite often people suddenly follow huge numbers of people in one shot... Yeah, sure you read my hubs. Amazing how it took you 4 seconds (etc)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)