What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 12 years ago

As I child we loved to eat sheeps brains ,four little girls excitedly gathered around the kitchen table with a teaspoon in hand eagerly awaiting the steaming morsel to arrive (cooked sheeps head)......of course there is a culinary technique,which I will omitt here,but tasty and delicious it was indeed.

Since being in the USA,Ive tried bear. Strongish flavour,not one my palate is used too,but ok.

How bout you?

1. Knightheart profile image70
      Knightheartposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have eaten crow!  Not tasty at all!    roflol

Eaglekiwiposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh so not everything tastes like chicken lmao lol

2. A.S.K.Preacher profile image61
      A.S.K.Preacherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have eaten racoon, eel, and black snake. I enjoy beef tongue on a regular basis. It is better than roast beef. The texture of heart is more favorable to me and the flavor is like a very mild liver, hardly noticeable. I tried alligator once and wasn't that impressed.

Whenever my wife and I go out of state, it is a rule, we have to eat something new. It doesn't have to be weird, just different.

2. Tatara profile image60
    Tataraposted 12 years ago

Duck embryo!

Ive heard that its expensive?
      Like Caviar maybe.

1. Tatara profile image60
        Tataraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Depends on how young or old, I guess.I used to like it, but now I go 'yikes'.I think it's also cruel.

I know what you mean, but when one is young many other things like survival come into play.
          We didnt have a supermarket for 50 miles and certainly not fast food places.

Looking back food choices were healthier.

I need to get back to better eating ,if only they would quit with the pesticides...yikes maybe revenge of the duck smile

I had this philosophy once. One day of the week I allowed myself to eat "sinful foods".It worked very well.One day became seven days.lol.

lol I like your thinking.

And I like your topics!

Cool smile thankyou

3. profile image0
    Dandraposted 12 years ago

American fast food.

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/4970889_f248.jpg

Fast food nation.

2. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is a heart attack waiting to happen. Not sure who thought up the doughnut cheeseburger but ewwww.

I've had a few weird things at the time like calamari, dothamus (spelling), we had greek neighbors that I babysat for and well since that experience I've developed a taste for most anything the greek's fix.

Weirdest was probably macaroni on a stick.

lol macaroni on a stick ,well that might be tasty if the stick was edible smile

I love tongue Greek salads, and dressings. Yum!

4. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Whatever it was, I'm sure I don't want to know.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

Eeew, eeew, eeew and eeew to most of these things.  I'm a vegetarian, anyway, so nothing animal appeals to me to start with.  But, I wasn't raised as a veggie, and I disliked many things that were merely "plain ordinary" fare on our table.
    I have to agree with my father, though, on any of these truly esoteric foods.  He would say, "I don't eat machinery."  It was his sort-of delicate way of describing such things as internal organs and such like.

However, the strangest thing I ever actually ate, was based on a contest a girlfriend and I were having during our childhood, as to who could come up with the most oddball thing.

I settled on a hollowed-out extra-large dill pickle, used as a drinking vessel for ginger ale!  tongue  No, it did not taste very good, but I won our silly little contest!  wink

6. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 12 years ago

This just reminded me, my ex used to love cottage cheese and grape jelly mixed together with a side of oreos. Bleh, the site of the concoctions still makes me queasy.

..And he wasnt pregnant lol.

My sister used to love orange segments and onion ring sandwiches when she was pregnant ,NOW she denies it all lol

Somebody in my town ate soap when she was pregnant.True!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Psst ok ,pass the plate please smile

7. cheaptrick profile image74
    cheaptrickposted 12 years ago

As a young man I spent a year in Tibet with a devout Buddhist family.Their custom was to offer Yak tea to guests.Yak milk with some mysterious herbs mixed in.The tea was allowed to sit for a few days so it would become"Flavorful"...It was insulting to refuse Yak tea cause it had a spiritual connotation.One of my favorite good buys to friends was"Thank you for the Yuky tea...no one ever caught it...thank Buddha for that.

8. ddsurfsca profile image69
    ddsurfscaposted 12 years ago

I have eaten squirral, snake, bear, and when I lived in Mexico I ate fish head chili soup.

9. ddsurfsca profile image69

Oh, and when I was pregnant, I ate every day a peanut butter with cottage cheese bologna sandwich on sourdough with mustard.

lol ohhhh those rascally hormones huh lol

10. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

When I was a kid I ate sardines (which besides tuna & fish sticks or McD's fish fillets are the only fish I've ever eaten) and beef heart (Yum!  so tender!) and chicken gizzards (didn't like too much, except the hearts).  I also enjoyed Ham Hocks & Cabbage. 

My grandmother was a vegetarian so many of her meals were "strange" at first, until I tried them.  I liked many of the things she made, including some kind of vegetable casserole with cauliflower & lima beans (the only time I willingly ate them lima beans! lol).  She made a Cottage Loaf (made with cottage cheese and flake cereal) and Mushroom Burgers (don't know what was included besides the Shrooms).

As an adult I tasted tripe (intestines??) but couldn't force myself to eat it completely - I had to spit it out!  I also bought pickled eggs once, just to try it.  Not good.  lol

11. Robot kid profile image58
    Robot kidposted 12 years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

I'm so doing this next thanksgiving

Whoaaaa did you see the fat content !!!

Be great for a big crowd though ,yea count me in smile

12. ddsurfsca profile image69

When I was a kid I ate every  color of the doggie bones we got for our dog to see what the favors were like.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a Beauty! big_smile

I once Lost a bet and had to eat my undies! yikes
      I really struggled...

I just found it so hard to eat the leg bands...

I didn't realize that I was allowed to take them off first! big_smile

They werent really legbands wink   lol

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Hey you could get a job as Q,C for Purina lol

13. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Well.........there once was a girl from Nantucket..............................................

14. Donna Suthard profile image60
    Donna Suthardposted 12 years ago

There's several unusual foods I have eaten..When I was a child, I ate raw clams..I used to dig them up with my feet..

As a adult I ate blue crab, escargot, turtle soup, shark, wild duck,(tough) and squirrel,rabbit and alligator tail! I loved morel mushrooms fried in egg, butter, and floured..

Sounds like you'd survive well smile

15. Donna Suthard profile image60
    Donna Suthardposted 12 years ago

There's several unusual foods I have eaten..When I was a child, I ate raw clams..I used to dig them up with my feet..

As a adult I ate blue crab, escargot, cavier,(too salty) poi in Hawaii, turtle soup, deer, shark, wild duck,(tough) squirrel, rabbit and alligator tail! I loved morel mushrooms fried in egg, butter, and flour. I ate wilted greens and drank sassafras tea!

16. cindi h profile image60
    cindi hposted 12 years ago

While I was pregnant I ate the strangest combination of things such as: peanut butter and onion sandwich, a cream cheese and jelly omelet and hot hot wings dipped in chocolate sauce.  I hate hot and spicy foods too!!

lol hot wings and chocolate sauce lol oh no that caught my eye I wonder if ....no..........lol

Maybe I should start up a restaurant with all these creative tongue ideas

1. cindi h profile image60
        cindi hposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well actually I'm a chocoholic so anything in chocolate and.....

17. Richieb799 profile image73
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

My Thai girlfriend was eating chicken's feet as it was the local takeaway, I wouldn't try it but the spicy food has flared up my acid reflux this week hmm

18. shogan profile image76
    shoganposted 12 years ago

Goat testicles.  And no, I'm not kidding.

19. Sparhawke profile image60
    Sparhawkeposted 12 years ago

A while ago I heard of a certain food containing excrement and seal fat, supposedly it is a delicacy of the Inuit.

It is not something I would want to try (but I would) but I do try everything I can get my hands on, if you are not going to at least try something then what is the point?

One of the worst things I have ever had is the crap sack from a chicken that wasn't properly cleaned, to say it was horrible is an understatement. There you are watching a good film in the dark with some chicken and the next minute your eyes pop out of your head and you are dribbling uncontrollably.

20. profile image0
    Solar Awarenessposted 12 years ago

Turtle burger  - cooked medium-well

21. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

Spending much of my youth living in the wild most of your concoctions are child's play. If it crawled, slithered, flew or swam at some point in time I have eaten it. With the exception of bear. They were a little big for me to tangle with.

I would have to say eating boiled flies was the weirdest though. I am not about to tell you they tasted good, but they helped me survive another day.

22. pajamazzon profile image60
    pajamazzonposted 12 years ago

Dog meat,when i was in college, it's a staple food for some ethnic group living in the mountains and the city where my university is located has restaurant that caters a lot of dog meat cooked in sauce and spices among other things. Sorry if i offended dog lovers in this hub, i only tasted it not eat a whole meal of dog meat.

1. Sparhawke profile image60
      Sparhawkeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dog meat is actually by law required to be fit for human consumption in case the label falls off and you eat it by accident...

...I never said it was required by law to taste good :p

23. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 12 years ago

Eaten quite a few strange foods over the years, Crocodile, Zebra, Snake,kangaroo to name a few.. but i still can't face one of the foods here in the Philippines where I am currently - ballot; eggs with fully developed chicks inside...

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

why don't you like Balot? It's delicious big_smile sorry can't help myself.

1. Rosie2010 profile image66
        Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol it is!

@LeanMan - balot is not only delicious, it's also very nutritious.  Just close your eyes when you eat it, so you won't see the little chick. big_smile

24. Cardisa profile image88
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

Octopus, shark, eel and turtle.....don't know if those are strange enough.

25. ameliejan profile image76
    ameliejanposted 12 years ago

Ugh to almost everything on this thread. And I AM pregnant.

I could not bring myself to try most of the things here. I live in Spain where snails are a delicacy and I couldn't bare the thought of them, nor even rabbit which I guess is mild compared to various testicular surprises mentioned here.

26. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 12 years ago

The worst thing I ever tasted was duck blood soup. It is popular with Polish people. I tasted one spoon of it and never again.

When I was young I tried mallard duck eggs. Don't. They have the texture of rubber. I've tried turtle too and it was good.

27. Rosie2010 profile image66
    Rosie2010posted 12 years ago

cow's brain - it was delicious!

28. Danette Watt profile image80
    Danette Wattposted 12 years ago

probably not all that strange to some people but it was to me -- raw horsemeat - it was ok, although I couldn't eat a lot of it

29. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

my pride sad

30. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 12 years ago

I have eaten Rabbit and Squirrel meat. But, I didn't know I was eating it. I lived up north, and I had a friend who often invited me over for dinner. His dad was a hunter, and they often ate their kill around hunting season. Eating Deer meat was pretty normal for them. Not much different than beef only more salty.

The most off the wall was Sharks fin, and Calamari. Didn't like either one of those, almost hurled on first bite. But, swordfish wasn't bad. I have also had octopus. I also had some unusual sides when I visited Toronto. Peanut Butter Punch and deep fried mashed potato and fish, which was quite yummy.

31. profile image57
    FStevensposted 12 years ago

fish eyes

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's my breakfast every day! hmm

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)