Want to know how to win a gold star in forums?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Spirit Whisperer profile image78
    Spirit Whispererposted 13 years ago

I recently visited a forum in which someone posted a paragraph of nonsense the kind you get when someone spams your website blog. There was a reference to depression in that paragraph and it attracted people from all over hubpages. People were tearing each other to shreds and when I and one other hubber mentioned that their comments had nothing to do with the question posed by the spammer I was told that I could have a gold star for pointing that out and basically told to scram. so if you want a gold star simply go the post by louron titled clinical depression. Just proceed with extreme caution they bite!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Spirit Whisperer, by coincidence I just finished reading the thread in question.

As you say, the initial post was nonsense, but the way I read it, people felt it raised an important question which they wanted to discuss.  You'll notice they didn't address the OP directly in their replies. 

I was surprised to read your aggressive posts and wondered why you seemed so determined to shut the thread down, and why you were so abusive to Aficionada, who is one of the gentlest Hubbers I know.

If you're going to be so thin-skinned, I suggest you steer clear of the topic forums and stick to the HubPages-related area.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image93
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I read it too. Everyone had very  valid points but there was an extreme case of touchiness and annoyance  by many involved. Can we all just take a hot bath and use some anti-itch cream? (Not all together.) smile

1. Lisa HW profile image64
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I read that thread too.  It was obvious that the original thread was what it was, but so often it's clear that people (intentionally or otherwise) often end up elevating some threads, and they turn into something fairly worthwhile.

There's does seem to be a particularly high degree of touchiness on the forums recently, not to mention a lot of jumping to conclusions about the motivations of one person or another.   roll  It's kind of as if the post-Panda edginess has kind of died down and left, in its wake, a mass edginess about "everyone" elses's motives (and, in some cases, ability to think).

Hot bath, cold shower - whatever would help.  Or maybe a lot of folks just need to step back and forget all the negativity and edginess that's been going on (and everyone start new and on a clean slate from here).   hmm

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image71
            DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wish this were an isolated incident, but from the time I started HP, I've been subjected to rudeness and name calling.  This was from well-established hubbers who should have known better as well as the crackpots that seem to flock here.  One particular female hubber seems to be on a fault finding mission to crucify everything I say.  Why?  Who knows? She doesn't like my face, my hubs, whatever.
            Another troll on here has called me all kinds of names.  I would call him a hubber, but I'm not sure he ever writes anything. Is it any wonder that alot of new writers like me don't want to stay here?
            I've done my share here in the short time I've been here.  I did two 30 in 30 challenges. I flag, I hubhop. I participate, I write when I can. I'm a single mom with two kids still at home and a full time job, and an on the side wedding business, so a hub a week lately sometimes doesn't even fit into the schedule.
            Maybe I'm just too tender hearted to be here, but the way people talk to each other is unbelievable to me sometimes.
            I came here at a bad time, just as Panda hit.  So I don't know what the good days were like here.  I just know these days are not happy ones.  I do thank SW for sticking up for me, though.  Was he more persistent than he needed to be?  Maybe.  But at least it made me feel like someone was paying attention. smile 
            And I hate to even post this knowing I'm gonna get slammed and picked apart for saying it. But so be it.

1. profile image0
              Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It hasn't been as nice a place to visit past few months - people have been on edge, I think. 
              There is the odd person that seems to think it's ok to call people names - I've only been called names by a few religious extremists.

2. Spirit Whisperer profile image78
            Spirit Whispererposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice one Lisa. BTW I like the way you have stopped replying to comments in your hubs. I don't see anywhere else where authors feel obliged to reply to comments made by readers except here in HubPages. who made this rule and have people really checked if it actually gets them better results?

2. Aficionada profile image76
        Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for these kind words, Marisa!  I'm not so sure I deserve them these days, though.  I've been on a sort of feisty streak, and if that's all that Spirit Whisperer has seen of me, he may very well have figured I was worth abusing. lol  !!

I actually have been very fascinated with the way people have read that other thread.  SW called it "tearing each other to shreds"; DIY mentioned (there, I think) that posters got into a tiff; and even Rochelle Frank and Lisa HW mentioned touchiness and annoyance.  I guess an awful lot of that went way over my head, because I really read nearly all of those posts as being just some interesting back-and-forth, primarily unemotional disagreement.  That is, until I stepped in.  lol

But whatever the reason for SW's reactions and tone, DIY said that he and she are buds, and that's enough to raise him up a whole bunch of notches in my estimation.  As I've said elsewhere (and as I've experienced enormously lately), we don't always come across in our posts the way we intend.  And that probably means we need more exposure to one another, not less.

Thanks again for your kindness.

Spirit Whisperer, here's your thread back.  big_smile

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5104614_f248.jpg

1. Lisa HW profile image64
          Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aficionada, I noticed the thread, but I maybe should have been clearer that my reference to some of the edginess/touchiness I've noticed was related to the overall forum picture these days - not just that thread.  That thread aside, it seems to me like cutting remarks and insults about real or imagined "misdeeds" have been rampant ever since Panda made everybody mean.   lol  lol    (By the way, I wish you'd start a thread to debate the Hierarchy of Needs.  I think it would make a good, emotion-free, discussion, but I don't want to start the thread (for reasons I won't go into   hmm  ).

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aficionada, that was my reaction, too.  In fact when I realized you and SW were sparring, I went back and read the earlier posts and it seemed like a perfectly peaceful discussion to me. SW did post about the OP but the response from Baileybear and others wasn't rude as far as I could see.

3. Spirit Whisperer profile image78

Aficionada, you have gone more than a few notches in my book after that comment. It takes a special kind of person to stand back and put their hands up.
          We are all from different parts of the world and from differing backgrounds and I would say a good rule of thumb is that we are all from the same family if we continue to write hubs and express ourselves as we do and as such we should give people the benefit of the doubt.
          I enjoy a good laugh but found it a little weird that people get so serious here in forums.
          My humour may need a bit of getting used to but I am looking forward to the banter especially with you now Aficionada.
          You can call off the rottweilers  now! lollol

4. DIYweddingplanner profile image71

Where are your other five points, Aficionada?  That was a "100" response in my book! smile

3. Spirit Whisperer profile image78

Marisa you read too much into things you should learn to chill out. We are all adults here and if you don't understand the humour then that is not my problem. I am sure Aficionada and the others are well able to take care of themselves and I don't appreciate you telling me where I can and cannot express myself in HubPages. You have a good day. wink

2. profile image0

SW
      'People ripping each other to shreds....told to scram.' & accusations of aggression on that thread.

This is more than exaggeration.   I pointed out to you directly & neutrally that yes, we did notice the OP is crap and depression was spelt wrong, but people are having decent discussion.  You ignored this & continued with you repetitive attention-seeking spiel, which quite frankly, I found irritating.  I posted the comment about the gold star with mild sarcasm, not overt aggression, like you claim.  If I had been aggressive, I would have called you names. 
      You were very rude to Aficionada and the only aggression I observed was from you. 
      And to start a thread to sulk about it...really!

You are a sweetheart Bear!

1. profile image0

???

3. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think gold stars are a bit over-rated, not that i'm ever likely to win one, but I think fridge magnets are the way forward. Maybe hp could adopt this idea, instead of giving out accolades, just send me a new fridge magnet. One with San Francisco bridge on would be nice. smile

You getting rid of the wife?lol

1. profile image0
          BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nice one, no the wife will outlive any fridge magnet sad

Too bad because HP could have sent you a new model! lol

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image71
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

I'm starting a chart on my refrigerator! smile

I wonder why you chose refrigerator? Am I sensing a coolness coming on ?

smile

3. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

What do you have to do to get a smiley face sticker?

I'll give you one....here..... smile

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My work here is done... going to pin it on the refrigerator.

I don't think comments like that would be approved by OP ...

4. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

A gold star? No Thank you.

Would you prefer a smiley face?  We also have those available.

you are making me jealous now!hmm

5. Cagsil profile image72
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

No need for the smiley either.

But here are a couple of "Gold" stars for anyone who wants one. tongue

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5103341_f248.jpg

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5103342_f248.jpg

lollollol
      You are a star!

2. Julie2 profile image61
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like the first star smile

6. DIYweddingplanner profile image71

Wow, not THAT'S a STAR!

7. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

The second one is like a sheriff's badge - so it may be useful at times. smile smile

8. Cardisa profile image91
    Cardisaposted 13 years ago

I saw the post but quickly got outta there!

1. agentmomo profile image67
      agentmomoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A star for you for being smart!

1. Cardisa profile image91
        Cardisaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, is it gold?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image93
          Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would you take silver?

9. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 13 years ago

Stars for everyone smile

http://bestsmileys.com/stars/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/stars/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/stars/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/stars/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/stars/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/stars/4.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/stars/10.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/stars/4.gif

1. profile image0

thankyou

How did you do this? Please tell me.

10. DIYweddingplanner profile image71

Love it! smile

Great fun. Thank you all for such a great laugh. I am looking forward to much more of the same! roll

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)