Another Hub Snatcher!

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (89 posts)
  1. Judi Bee profile image90
    Judi Beeposted 12 years ago

Today I found one of my hubs copied on another site.  From a quick look, I imagine that the whole blog is compiled from copied articles.  It's a WordPress blog Reality Inspiration.  Clearly her inspiration comes from the reality of other people's hard work!

There is definitely one other copied hub on there, as well as my own on chapped lips.  She seems to go for beauty/lifestyle articles, so if you write on these subjects you might want to check.

So far I have left a comment asking for my work to be removed, if it isn't very shortly I will contact WordPress admin.

1. missolive profile image60
      missoliveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aggravating isn't it? thank you for letting us know Judi-Bee

I'll go check it out

1. missolive profile image60

although frustrating it may be a good thing - I cannot find the blog Judi Bee. I did a google search for 'Reality - Inspiration  - wordpress' and nothing comes up.

1. Hubpage Gal profile image57
          Hubpage Galposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To find out if an article has been copied, simply type a few of the beginning text into the google search engine.  All of the articles that have those keywords will populate.

If the URL  or internet address is something other than the hubpage address, then the article has been copied.  Hubpages should look into even the writer not having access to the copy and paste feature that is used to transfer text from one site to the other.

Yahoo Contributor Network has the tool installed where the text can not be copied and paste not even by the author himself.  Blocking the copy and paste feature on the writing site has caused the writer to used Microsoft Word to draft original articles. 

Such a practice of blocking the copy and paste feature would stop much of the "hubsnatching."

2. blondepoet profile image67
          blondepoetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Same

2. Cresentmoon2007 profile image65
      Cresentmoon2007posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for letting hubbers know this. Some of us work so hard. I know some of my hubs take me quite a while to do with the research that  I put in them.

Judi Beeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's really annoying - I have had a good look at it now and everything is definitely lifted from other people's work.  Could only see one other hub though, the rest are blog and website articles.

3. tnvrstar profile image64
      tnvrstarposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yea some people likes to Blog by sharing others articles. It can actually help you if the person who copied puts a backlink to the original article. This could help you get a Backlink and return traffic the original writers. Now if you do not like that i recommend you contact the Blogger and send him/her an email to stop copying your articles. You could also file copyrighted appeal.

Don't mind people sharing by mentioning your article and giving a backlink - that's lovely.  But completely copying the article and putting their name at the bottom of it is not useful.  For one thing it creates a duplicate content issue, for another it robs you of page views and finally its just downright rude!

1. Tara Anderton profile image60
          Tara Andertonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes as long as they acknowledge you as the author or put a link I think its ok...good publicity. However I have seen people do the same thing and claim as there own. I thin it is ok if they use your work as inspiration for there writing and change it to make it there own.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
            Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No...it is NOT ok if they acknowledge you as the author without asking if they can use your article.  Inspiration is okay just as long as they don't spin your article... just changing it to your own is not okay. Plagiarism is also defined as "close imitation."

2. missolive profile image60

tnvrstar - A Blogger cannot copy a hub. They can however write a new article or summary, which supports the hub and then create a link, but It is NEVER ok to copy any of the hub text. Title yes - text no.

I'm currently having an issue with a couple of authors that are featuring my hub in theirs as an additional resource (this is fine and an honor) BUT they are copying my entire first paragraph as a summary (not fine). I'm afraid it will trigger the bots as copied content.

Whenever I promote or feature somebody else's work in one of my hubs or blogs I always write a new summary or review of my own to promote their work. The only thing I copy is the Title, which I link back.

4. Nancy Owens profile image81
      Nancy Owensposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the warning. I am new to HubPages and didn't realize something like this could happen.

5. thesingernurse profile image73
      thesingernurseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is awful... Thanks for the inspiration. I don't see the point why some people do this. They don't realize that they too  can write, they just have to try doing it themselves!

2. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

ht tp://www.hielectronicshop.com/

here is another site that has copied some of my content and there are articles on there that might have come from other writers here.

I'm on a major mission now!  Just found that a site that has now been taken down had one of mine posted too.  I really must keep on top of this more.

Thanks for the heads up 2uesday.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Found hubs there from SimeyC and Dolores Monet, Sue.

I can't find the reality one either.

Here's the wordpress one:  ht tp://realityinspiration.wordpress.com/

2. Dolores Monet profile image94
        Dolores Monetposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the heads-up, Izzy. I found one of mine there already. Left them a message and filed a DMCA. Seems like there is way too much of this stealing lately.

3. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

ht tp://www.bigtakeoff.com/nylon-panties-under-the-christmas-tree.html

This on has not even removed the references to Hubbers and Hubpages etc. I am putting a gap in the http to prevent the link being a live one.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That one appears like a lot of babbling jibberish and over-stuffing of keywords. Didn't make any sense at all. lolo! Stealing gets old and one grows so tired. sad

4. profile image0
    gchicnotesposted 12 years ago

Wow. That's crazy! Thanks for the information.

5. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

The Cheek of these people - stealing other people's hard work.

Hope it doesn't happen again to you.

I see that there is already another forum thread about a site stealing people's hubs....

6. IsadoraPandora profile image79
    IsadoraPandoraposted 12 years ago

I just found my Mirena article on www.xiaoduola.com. I cannot access the website though. I have never heard of this website. How on earth do I get it removed if I cannot even view the website?

7. sweetzara profile image77
    sweetzaraposted 12 years ago

I just found one of my hubs copied and pasted and published under a different name on:
    http://blogs.fanbox.com I am PISSED!!!

8. Becky Katz profile image81
    Becky Katzposted 12 years ago

Try this site. it is a powerful one and will be a lot easier than contacting the website. Should work for Isadora too.
    http://support.google.com/bin/request.p … pe=lr_dmca

1. sweetzara profile image77
      sweetzaraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Becky and everyone else on this thread.

I just recieved this mail from google:

Thanks for reaching out to us.

In accordance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, we have completed
      processing your infringement complaint. The following webpages will be
      removed from Google in a few hours:

http://blogs.fanbox.com/SinglePost.aspx … mp;apid=-1

Please let us know if we can assist you further.

YAY!!!!!

1. Becky Katz profile image81
        Becky Katzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So glad it helped. Of course, keep watching, they can and probably will start another one. Keep the Google support link.

2. capricornrising profile image61
      capricornrisingposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Becky - I clicked the link to Google support you posted and it came back "Page Not Found." I'd love to get that page, for future reference. Can you re-post it? Or feel free to contact me directly. Thanks!

1. Becky Katz profile image81

I have been getting that a lot lately. The link is good, The server is messed up. Try again in a few minutes.

2. Becky Katz profile image81

I have been trying to put the link on but it keeps changing. It is posted elsewhere in this forum, down below by writer fox

9. sweetzara profile image77
    sweetzaraposted 12 years ago

@tnvrstar

In my case, this person copied my hub and published it under their name!!! No credit, no link... straight lifting! Blatant plagiarism.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good work!  I'm so glad Google is responding quickly to these requests.  I think this will have a BIG effect on content thieves and it might even create more jobs for online writers.  Thank you for posting Google's reply.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

WF, I've been filing DMCA requests with Google for a few years now and they've always responded fairly quickly. Site like Wordpress.com, GoArticles and a few other rev-sharing sites respond quickly too.  It hasn't had any major effect on content thieves so far, so I don't see why that should change.

All we can do is keep being vigilant about checking for plagiarism on our own stuff.  It's an ongoing job.

10. StephanieBCrosby profile image82
    StephanieBCrosbyposted 12 years ago

Thanks for keeping us abreast of people stealing others' work. It is really helpful to someone like myself who does not have a lot of time to track down if someone has plagiarized one of my hubs.

11. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 12 years ago

It might be an idea to place our own warnings about plagiarism at the top of our hubs, that way its not likely to be missed when a thief comes along.

Maybe - a copyright notice at the foot of my hubs certainly didn't act as a deterrent!

1. Richieb799 profile image74
        Richieb799posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought at the top more people will see it, although some hubs get scraped by bots hmm

12. rLcasaLme profile image69
    rLcasaLmeposted 12 years ago

Oh My!
    Reading all through the previous posts, it seems that these things are abundant all throughout the internet.
    The internet is in need of some refreshing and cleaning.

13. yui lockhart profile image61
    yui lockhartposted 12 years ago

Good for you that you found your own content copied by others. ohh plagiarism! They are so mean thinking that you worked hard for your content and yet it was just copied by someone else and claiming that they own that article. Gee.

14. Anishpat profile image77
    Anishpatposted 12 years ago

Sadly this in not something that we end soon. There will aways be people who are not willing to work hard on their own. This has happened in the past and will happen in the future.

15. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 12 years ago

I found hubs that I have already seen here on HP. Still looking around.

(1) How to be a good husband
    (2)How to start the life of your dreams
    (3) How to find out if a girl likes you
    (4)How to teach your teens about money

There might be more. Guys you really need to check it out!

16. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

There's no good reason why copying is still going on,especially since Google is so strict with writing sites like ours. Mr. G could easily stop this with a copy scape ,so why don't they?mad

1. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Some Punt To Win Only - Some to Place.

They Have Each Way bets in play! 

In that way they maximize their returns, as they don't refund advertisers who have had their impressions on 'Copied' articles on the net!  They Know! sad

2. IzzyM profile image87

I would get sent no traffic if they did that. Not that I get much from them anyway.

Google seems to have placed all the scraper sites above mine in the rankings!

While mine are the originals, Google doesn't seem too know that.

17. Writer Fox profile image31
    Writer Foxposted 12 years ago

This exact topic is being discussed on another Hub Forum you might want to check out: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/88738

1. IzzyM profile image87

Oh, we like to have several threads going at the same time smile

18. Writer Fox profile image31

Here's the link for Google that gives their form to fill out:

19. Writer Fox profile image31

What others are allowed to do is quote a few sentences and then link to your article.  If someone has posted your entire article, then I agree with UninvitedWriter that it is wrong and is considered intellectual property theft and a violation of your copyright.

1. thougtforce profile image85
      thougtforceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I found one of my hubs on 5 different sites and one of them are Italian.!! It is difficult when I don´t speak Italian to know where to send the email. Is it worth the struggle to find the email address or should I try Google instead?
      The sites are:
      blogetery.com, myblog.it, bravejournal.com, blog.com, edublogs.org
      Most of them have copied the entire hub, word by word! Unbelievable, I get so tired....

1. IzzyM profile image87

Send it straight to Google. You can use the one form to put all the sites in, so it's a lot less work for you.

Plus, sites get a fright when Google contacts them, and it'll maybe make them think twice in future before they steal someone else's work.

Thanks for reposting the link, Writerfox (and for the original link, Becky). Very useful.

20. thougtforce profile image85
    thougtforceposted 12 years ago

Thank you very much! It makes it so much easier. You saved my evening:)

21. imatellmuva profile image76
    imatellmuvaposted 12 years ago

One of my hubs was copied (spinned) by a wordpress author. I completed the DMC report at Wordpress and spoke with one of their administrators via email. The articles was gone soon after I proved that it was my own. I periodically enter my hub titles in the browser, not only to see how they're doing (ranking), but to see if my article has been copied by another.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I assume you mean Wordpress.com?  They are very quick to act if you report plagiarism.  GoArticles is another site that's efficient in deleting copied stuff - you don't even need to send them a DMCA, a simple email is enough.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

How did you find out that your article was stolen?  It would help us all to know how you discovered this!

Don't know what anyone else does, but I just copy a chunk of text from my hubs into Google search and see what comes up.  So far, two of mine have been where they shouldn't have been.

22. thougtforce profile image85

I did a search on google on one very special word in my hub, and saw that there were so many articles! Even if my hub was first, the other five came after. Apparently, they have been there for a long time! I left a comment on some of them with a request that they take away the article, but nothing has happened. Except that my comments are gone! So now, I send a complaint to google.
    It is good to have someone like all you on hub pages to ask!

23. Winterfate profile image94
    Winterfateposted 12 years ago

So, someone snatched one of my hubs and copy-pasted it, down to my catchphrase (check any of my recent hubs to see the catchphrase at the end).

Here's the offending article:

http://gameolosophy.com/consoles/skywar … rth-temple

I sent an email to Triond and another to Hubpages (my content predates the offender's repost by a full day).

I do the hard work, and others try to get paid for it. That's irritating, to say the least.

Winterfate, report the website to Google.  Here's the link:

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

winterfate, the same guy stole one of my hubs on the same day. I found it last night. I left a scathing comment telling him to immediately remove the content in the comment section with a link to my original hub. I also contacted the site owner basically saying the same thing. The article was removed immediately.

Try leaving a comment on the page with a link to your original article and demand that he take it down immediately.

Here is the thread I posted. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/89889#post1919679

I'll leave a comment on your stolen article also.

Here is the contact info for the site on which it appears, Gameolosophy.
      http://gameolosophy.com/contact/

24. Winterfate profile image94

Thanks a bunch Writer Fox! I have just finished filling out the report form.

Hoepfully I can get the situation under control as soon as possible.

Please post on this forum when you get a response from Google.  Another Hubber has reported an immediate response from Google and Google de-indexed the offending site!  Let us know if this works for you, too.

25. Ldrjr profile image60
    Ldrjrposted 12 years ago

I just joined i have a dumb question or correct me if im wrong
    Im new to this.... So the idea is to do up a hub video or whatever and the ads that are flashing if you or whoever buys whatever they are selling. They give you a taste of the sale right? Im a big time newbie

Click the "help" button at the top right hand corner and check out the Learning Center - it will tell you everything you need to know.  Good luck!

Ldrjr - make sure you're posting in the correct forum thread. This one is about plagiarism on the internet, so you're in the wrong place if you want an answer.

However, you might check out the Learning Center:

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/index

Good luck.

1. Ldrjr profile image60
        Ldrjrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, guys

26. Winterfate profile image94

Hubpages got back to me, verified the content, and certified my article as the original! Hooray! smile

Now to get the impostor to take down the article at his end...

27. Winterfate profile image94

Thanks for the support rebekah! I recalled that I have an account on Triond, so I wrote a comment on the article too.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

You're welcome. Hey, I feel your pain! It's frustrating. I did leave a comment as a guest, as I don't have an account there. Be sure to send a message to the contact person. Good luck!

1. Winterfate profile image94
        Winterfateposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had already sent a message to Triond, but they claim that the articles have been taken down and snowneo banned already.

Whether snowneo is banned is debateable, but my article is sure still there. hmm

1. rebekahELLE profile image85

Hmm, I don't know how all that works. The contact info link I posted goes to the site administrator/owner of Gameolosophy. I guess Triond powers these different sites?

Yes, the article is still there. I would try contacting the direct site.

28. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

Bugger being nice! Contact Google and file a DMCA.

I was 'nice' for a long time. I wrote patient letters off to webmasters and all sorts, trying to avoid serious problems for websites.

Nine times out of ten the offending articles were removed.

Now it happens ten times out of ten, because I am done with being nice. this is such an ongoing problem, something needs to be done.

1. Winterfate profile image94
      Winterfateposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I already did IzzyM. Thing is, Google hasn't done anything yet (they might have a backlog of investigation requests or something). So, in the meantime, I'm trying to see if I can get it taken down the nice way.

If they won't listen to me, I'm pretty sure they'll listen to Google. smile

@rebekahELLE: I'll go contact the direct owner of Gameolosophy then. smile

29. Winterfate profile image94

Victory is mine!

Thought you guys would like to know that the article snowneo plagiarized from me has been deleted. Thanks to everyone who has helped me in one way or another through this situation. You're awesome! smile

Great news - well done!

Fabulous. Congratulations, Winterfate. A hope-inspiring result.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85

nice! Thanks for letting us know.

30. thougtforce profile image85

I didn't heard any results from google about my complaint but now when I did a search, all the sites that previously had my article copied was gone!! Fantastic, it works! I am so grateful for all the help in this forum thread, Thanks all :-)

1. capricornrising profile image61

Excellent news, thougtforce!

31. capricornrising profile image61
    capricornrisingposted 12 years ago

FYI - just found through a Google search that two of my hubs were lifted and posted whole at this (really bad) site:

bigezine dot com

They have identical identifying headers, but were posted under two different authors - men (the hubs were clearly written by a woman - me).

I've written to the administrator of the site, and placed comments on both article pages. Crossing my fingers.

32. thougtforce profile image85

It seems to happen all the time. I hope that your actions will be enough and solve the problem! But if not, file a DMCA to google!

1. capricornrising profile image61

Did that too...

33. profile image0
    KatrineDalMonteposted 12 years ago

Hi Judi, do you just run your articles through 'Copyscape' or similar on frequent basis to see if there is anything on the web matching yours?

34. Writer Fox profile image31

After so many comments on this forum, I just wrote a Hub titled "Content Theft."  I put all the information I use for detecting plagiarism, responding to plagiarism and preventing plagiarism.  I also included some methods of finding your stolen content that you might not have heard about before.  Hope this helps everyone.  If you have another source to add, just post it in the comments.

1. mary615 profile image83
      mary615posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm going to check out your Hub.  This would be excellent info for all of us.  Many thanks!

35. viking305 profile image93
    viking305posted 12 years ago

I just found one of my hubs stolen word for word at this site ideamarketers. com.  Left a space after the . so that I do not to leave a live link.

36. mary615 profile image83
    mary615posted 12 years ago

Hi Writer Fox just read your Hub, and what a lot of info you have given us.  I bookmarked it.  Thanks so much

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)