Comments - your thoughts please

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

In another thread trish1048 made a comment about comments - I found it a bit of a shock to be honest.  I'd really appreciate other viewpoints please?  What she said was: 

"What I greatly appreciate are the hubbers who always respond to their comments.  Nothing frustrates me more than when I come across a great hub, leave a comment, and get no acknowledgement in return.  But I also realize, everyone handles their hubs differently."

Now, I've always replied if asked a question, or if the person is new (trying to give a bit of a welcome and some encouragement and all that) but where I know hubbers or they're fans I tend not to - precisely because I thought it was a bit like "comment-building".  I mean, it's an easy way to make 5 commets into 10 by replying to them all, and I thought if I did that people would think it was fake.

So what are other people's views? 

Also, I seem to get very few comments, and maybe that's why - maybe people don't post comments after they did once and I didn't reply (if so sorry - I may do a lot of hubs but I've only been here 12 weeks!).  Not sure if there's a reason...

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

It doesn't bother me if people don't acknowledge my comments. I try to acknowledge all mine but then it gets to repeating "thank you for the comment" every other one and to me that adds nothing at all to the hub. And in the same vein I don't like to add a comment to a hub unless it adds something to the conversation and I have something unique to say about it.

3. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

I don't leave comments like "nice hub" - in fact sometimes I spam those types of comment - unless the hubber is really, really new.

So when I do comment I do put in something useful, and yes I do think the hubber should respond. Not always comment for comment: often I will post a comment acknowledging 3 or 4 comments at a time especially as most comments come in over-night my time. As they say it takes 2 to tango and a conversation requires at least 2 people. I don't think its gaming the system - unless you are logging out and adding comments to your own hubs with some anchored keywords - which you see people do occasionally - which is just tragic really LOL.

Not all hubs will generate comments - though mostly I get some these days - that's partly because I have friends who know that if they comment on my hub I will comment on their hub or website back - each comment, including your own adds content and updates the hub - which can make Google come back and look at it again

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Aside from the plain fact that it is polite to answer when people are talking to you and impolite to not answer, there are two obvious benefits of answering comments:

1. It builds relationship with your readers
    2. Active comment thread boosts your hub ranking on HP, giving it better internal link love from hot/best hub lists. There is no guarantee you get an active thread if you reply to comments - but if you don't reply, you don't get an active thread for sure smile

And yes, I am guilty in not always replying to comments, too sad

5. Em Writes profile image69
    Em Writesposted 15 years ago

Being fairly to new this myself, I had wondered what the commenting protocol was, as well. Initially I only responded to comments if I had something other than "thanks for reading" to say, but more and more lately I've been trying to reply to all comments. My hubs don't really generate a lot of comments, though, so it isn't as time consuming for me as it might be for someone who's running 50 or more hubs and active comment threads on several of them.

6. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
    Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years ago

That's all useful thanks - I hadn't thought of it that way - and just didn't like to respond to each comment as it looked too pushy!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm actually with you on this one, Julie-Ann.  If I don't have something to say, I would feel silly about saying "Thanks for stopping by," over and over again, when half the people probably won't come back to the hub anyway.  I respond when a point is made or a question asked.  I think that's perfect acceptable.  Some people have entire discussions in their hub comments, but I prefer to keep them on-topic and content-full.  I think it's just a personal choice.

1. relache profile image71
        relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This pretty much summarizes my comment theory and practice.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Maddie and Relache on this one - in fact I was probably a bit like Julie-Anne, thinking that it wasn't really the "done thing" to put comments on my own Hub, so I'd only reply if I had something really, really relevant to say. 

After all, it's not like a blog where the person will get notified if you do reply.   If I leave a comment on someone else's Hub, I don't do it in expectation of getting a reply - and I wouldn't know whether they replied or not, because I'm not tracking that.

2. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
        Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Maddie (and Relache)

7. DJ Funktual profile image77
    DJ Funktualposted 15 years ago

Great thread idea Julie-Ann!   Just another wrinkle in hubworld etiquette.  I'm with Sue (Uninvited) on this to a tee.

I'd like to hear in addition what your comment policies are on hubs that you don't like, or make you mad.

I used to respond to all comments and have great comment sections because I would challenge the person if I thought they were wrong. It built good convo BUT I also scared off dozens of others in the process.   

Responding to others hubs went the same way.  Only difference is my pointed comments would generate lots of convo for others.  I try to stop by and provoke people every once in a while (in good fun) but many do not get the NY "jibe each other over everything" vibe and get upset. Never want that.

Others do get it and return the favor by busting my chops back on my hubs. 2 cents..ching!

1. Julie-Ann Amos profile image64
      Julie-Ann Amosposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ok I'll open myself up and admit to a bad habit of commenting "Crap hub 100% plagiarised".  Funny not only do I get no replies but those comments never seem to get approved....

I don't want to lecture others but if I see somethign off I say politely if I feel strongly enough

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I've wanted to say that too, Julie Ann. Now I have found it better to say
        "Very interesting. You may also be interested in this: (and leave a link to the page it was copied from.) 
        I've actually had these comments approved-- but the person posting the copied stories doesn't seem to have a good command of English,and obviously didn't check the link.

8. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I reply to my readers as it is etiquette however there also have been times, that I just didn't and then I felt like I was being rude, So instead of commenting on each one, I wait until several acrrue and then comment at one time, that is just my own little thing and it acknowledges all who have commented.smile

9. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

I try to reply to anyone who comments.  When you look at how many pageviews a hub gets and see the percentage of them that actually do take the time to comment, to me it seems like a small thing to acknowledge that you took the time to read what they wrote, even if it is only, "Hey, nice hub."  I mean, worse case scenario, they are a spammer hoping for whatever that might get them, but, I'd rather err on the side of politeness.  Obviously the length and nature of my replies are in direct proportion to the comment, but, nobody likes to be ignored.

I suppose if I have 5,000 hubs like Maddie or Hal Licino, well, maybe I'll change my tune based on sheer volume and time required, but for now, I'll respond to everyone.

10. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 15 years ago

I try to reply to most of mine, too, but often 3 or 4 at a time.

One thing I DO try to do is place a comment when becoming a fan-- then the person knows that you actually read something specific written by the person, and are not just  fanning every name you can find. ( Also-- it does put your post higher on the list.)

When I am notified of a new fan-- I usually go and look at the profile, and often some of the hubs.
    If I see a hubtivity list a page long of 38 people they have fanned in the past 12 minutes, I know it is meaningless.

11. trish1048 profile image68
    trish1048posted 15 years ago

Hi Julie-Ann,

Thanks for putting this out here.  It's been interesting to see others views on this topic.  I guess part of my frustration with getting no replies lies in the fact that perhaps, I mistakenly believe that people publishing on here would be happy to see that someone took the time to read what they wrote and might be kind enough to respond to the commenter with a simple thank-you.  But that's just me.  Certainly, I don't expect continuous comments, although, I have to admit, I find those the most fun.  It's a chance to get to know fellow writers and to engage in some fun and gather more knowledge from more experienced writers.   Oh well, enough said here.

12. trish1048 profile image68

An aside, it would be nice if the comments left in the forums also gave you the option to edit the comment, as you can in commenting on individual hubs smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image79
      Shadesbreathposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You can edit your own forum comments for awhile after posting them (if that's what you meant.)  Down at the bottom right, there's an edit option for like 20 minutes or something.

If you meant delete posts of others, well, yeah, that takes away all the fun of forums.  People can censor the comments of others on their hubs, but on forums they actually have to face the music and deal with the reprecussions of their remarks.

I always thought it would be fun to be a symphonic repercussionist.

13. Christoph Reilly profile image67
    Christoph Reillyposted 15 years ago

I'm of the same school as Trish and Shades on this. There are a lot of writers on this site, and many times they don't come to read your hub because you had a snappy title or content that appealed to them, but rather because you are you. They came to see what you are up to. I personally like people to leave a comment - even if it's only 'great hub" - because I like to know they were there. This is often where I first am introduced to a writer and most often I will go and look at their work. Similarly, I like to be acknowledged when I leave a comment.  It's part of the community part, I guess. 

In terms of how many comments I respond to, I respond to all that are there at that time in one comment capsule, whether it's 1 or 10.

14. trish1048 profile image68

Thank you Shades.  And duhhhhh, as I glance down here, what do I see but a preview button.  Oops!  smile

15. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 15 years ago

I'm with Trish and Shadesbreath and Christoph on this issue too. I like to acknowledge the reader that took the time to leave me a comment. I especially love the comments that give me a link to something relevant to my hub. The only comments I usually spam are the once that say "nice hub about 'doorknobs' now read mine on the mating customs of shoelaces, here is the link" Have a great day all zs

16. trish1048 profile image68

Thanks Zsuzsy!  Someone left me fan mail a few days ago and it said 'thanks in advance for becoming my fan', that's it, nothing else.  Needless to say, I didn't.  People that assume,,geeze.

1. SweetiePie profile image83
      SweetiePieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Someone did that to me also, so I just decided to say:

"Your was the most creative fan mail I have received yet.  Thanks for sharing."

1. weblog profile image58
        weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have seen hubber-2009 doing that, I got such a fan mail too smile

17. Pam Roberson profile image67
    Pam Robersonposted 15 years ago

I agree with a number of others here who feel that responding to comments is the polite or right thing to do. Personally, if someone takes the time to read one of my hubs and leave a comment, even a brief two word statement, then I want to show my appreciation. I also appreciate hubbers who allow some fun in their comments.

That is my policy also.  Even in college lectures we had discussions sections and thing got off topic.  Discussing the topic from different angles and having a conversation about it can lead to deeper understanding, or just having a fun talk with online friends.

I love the way you do that, SweetiePie. Your comment sections are as good as your hubs smile

Thanks weblog.  Your new avatar is pretty cool by the way!

18. rockinjoe profile image89
    rockinjoeposted 15 years ago

I think it's extremely rude not to leave a return comment. Readers are your customers and folks who leave comments are your best customers. Would you ignore someone who came into your store to shop? Of course, not.I comment on each comment-although I do admit to missing a couple over the past two years.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't see it that way.  I'm not selling something when I write a hub, I'm providing information.  Do editors at magazines and newspapaers respond to every letter they receive?

I think it's best if people do not take such things so personally, and aren't quite so judgemental of people who do things differently.  It's perfectly fine--and even admirable--to respond to every comment if you wish, but I don't think it's appropriate to apply negative labels like "rude" and "impolite" to people who don't.

1. webismine profile image59
        webismineposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's great, Maddie. Thanks for the opinion smile

19. trish1048 profile image68

LOL Sweetie!

That's the one, weblog!

I thought so, hmmm new trend big_smile

20. allshookup profile image61
    allshookupposted 15 years ago

I try to respond to all of the people who post on my hubs. I know I slip up and miss some, and if any of those posts I skipped are yours, I'm sorry. I do it to let the people who post on my hubs that I really appreciate it and I have made friends by doing this. You can find out a lot about someone when posting back and forth. You can find people who have similar intersts or beliefs. To me, I think it's nice to let your fans and posters know that you are thankful that they take their time to read and comment. But then again, I have less than 20 hubs. But my goal is to respond to all of the posts on my hubs. Does this help any? lol

21. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I think for me, the key is in the word "respond".  When someone leaves a comment on my Hub, I don't feel I'm "responding" to them if I comment in return.  I'm commenting on my own Hub - there's no guarantee that person will ever come back to see my "response".   It would be totally different if the person had emailed me a comment and I ignored the email. 

Where I've made comments on other Hubs, I have no idea whether the Hubber responded to my comment or not, and I generally don't give it a second thought.  I assume that the more social Hubbers are going back regularly to check whether their comments have been acknowledged?  Otherwise how do you know?

22. allshookup profile image61
    allshookupposted 15 years ago

Ok maybe a better word to use would be 'acknowledge' that they took their time to read and post on my hubs. I like to let them know I am thankful they took their time to do that. A great deal of the time, I end up in discussions with them. Which is nice ( most of the time lol)

Alllshookup, using a different word doesn't change it - unless they're checking their Hubtivity or going back to look at the Hub, they have no idea that you've "acknowledged" them.  Like I said, I don't know whether any of my comments have been "acknowledged" and I really dont mind whether they were or not. 

As Maddie said, there is no right or wrong here - there are different attitudes. 

There are also different standards of politeness.  For instance, where I grew up, it would have been considered the height of rudeness if I had carolled "Good morning everybody" as I walked into the office - it would have been seen as an inconsiderate disruption.   Here in Oz, it's seen as the height of rudeness if I DON'T call Good Morning as I walk in - regardless of how many phone calls and conversations I interrupt.  I'm still trying to get used to that one!

1. Lissie profile image75
        Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Actually  I use the "your comments" button on your "my account" to see if there are further comments in the converstation

AHA-- good suggestion. Now we know.

There are so many buttons and clicks you can make, it takes a while to explore all of them.
          The same goes for forums:  Click on "recent posts" to see more than the topics page, and check "show your posts" to see if there are replies to things you have posted.

1. agvulpes profile image86
            agvulpesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Just like my mum used to say "Son learn something new everyday"
            Now all I gotta do is learn how place a link correctlly, right Lissie?
            cool

23. William F. Torpey profile image72
    William F. Torpeyposted 15 years ago

I like to respond to comments on my hubs when comments are called for --  which is most of the time. If someone says, "Nice hub" it doesn't necessarily require a response. In fact, the reason I wrote my hubs was precisely to stimulate conversation about the subject in the hope that consensus could be reached on solutions to the problems the hubs bring up. But there are many different kinds of hubs. I am delighted if someone simply reads my hubs. I consider a comment a bonus. I've read many hubs without commenting, not because I didnt like the hub, or disagreed with what was said, but simply because I had nothing important to say.

ditto.

24. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

See I ddin't know that - thanks Rochelle!

Wow- nothing more gratifying than informing an "expert".
      Have fun!

25. Just_Rodney profile image70
    Just_Rodneyposted 15 years ago

I try and reply to all my comments, sometimes I might slip, but as I enjoy the interaction with fellow hubbers, I dont slip all that often.
    I suppose, being old fashioned, I think it is also manners, to respond to a comment that is made about something you have written, even a single "ditto" type of response.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)