Finally finished my book!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (60 posts)
  1. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 11 years ago

Yeah!!!!!  Wrote 'The End' a couple of hours after midnight!  This project has taken several years, the book has been split in two, a new beginning and end written and a new storyline threaded through it.  I'm not sure I would have started, if I'd known all this when I started lol! smile

However, I suspect the really hard slog has just started, as now I have to do something with it.  Any suggestions about digital/self publishing for a non-techie?

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's fantastic!  How cool, finished mine at exactly the same time.  Check into Smashwords, it's where you want to electronically upload and be distributed.  Well worth the work, best of luck to you!  smile

CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Synchronicity is a wonderful thing smile Smashwords seems to be very popular and well known so thanks for the recommendation.

2. profile image0
      SirDentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations!!!!!!!!

Thanks SirDent

3. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

congratulations!

Thanks Xenonlit! smile

4. Ladybird33 profile image68
      Ladybird33posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats!!! That is awesome!

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Lots of help in Hubs and other forums smile use the search bar but am sure there are others with experience who can offer great advice. Congratulations!

Thanks Dame Scribe, I will have a good search and reading session smile

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

CMHypno, first of all congrats and I know how hard it's to get the beginning done - I'm still in the first chapter of my novel even though I've written the complete outline. Hope to see some useful tips here about self publishing. There are plenty of hubs; but, I'd love to see some insightful info here as well smile

Thanks lobobrandon.  Just keep going, you will get there.  One of the things that spurred me on was that I didn't want to be one of those people who always talk about writing their book but never finishes it.

So whatever happens now, I can say that I have finished it!

Haha smile After this sem I have a 3 month holiday from the last week of June. So, I'm planning on writing hubs and my book then.

Good luck with your holiday writing and let us know how you get on

Thanks smile

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 11 years ago

Wow, congratulations CMH! Never having written a book myself I've no advice to offer, but let us know how you get on.

I'll keep you posted Empress - I tend to learn by making every mistake in the book, so it is sure to be an interesting journey smile

Go slow on it then tongue Writing a book isn't something that you can do everyday lol

4. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

Congratulations!  big_smile  That's a wonderful thing to hear, and I'm sure it's an even greater accomplishment for you to have made!

I personally know of two hubbers who are experienced in self publishing.  One, primarily e-books (Slarty O'Brian) and the other print and digital copies (Shadesbreath, aka John Daulton).  There are both great guys and if you approach them directly through the contact links on their profile, I'm certain they would be willing to offer whatever help they're able to.

Good luck!

http://slartyobrian.hubpages.com/
    http://shadesbreath.hubpages.com/

Thanks for the advice Motown2Chitown, I read quite a bit of Shadesbreath's stuff, but need to look up Slarty O'Brian

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Their material is quite different, but I do know that Slarty has done quite a bit of self publishing of his material.

Again, best of luck.  big_smile

5. seanorjohn profile image70
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

I think a self publishing firm goes by the name smashwords. You even get a free ISBN. You get to set the price and get most of the sales.

Thanks I'll check them out

6. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 11 years ago

Well done!

Let meknow where/ when it is publshed as I have enjoyed so many of your stories that I am really quite looking forward to this book!

I'll be handing the out under the London Eye when you meet up with Relache in July lol!

7. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

CMHypno, that's fantastic! Getting through that whole thing to the end is a great beast of discipline to conquer, and you have done it. Superb mustering of personal resources on that, seriously!!!

Here's my advice about publishing it:

If you literally just wrote "the end" on it, then you have to go back through it and clean it up. To me, having just now gotten to the end for the first time means, you have a lot of revisions, editing and then TONS AND TONS of proofreading to do. Once you've done that, if you can afford a professional editor (depending on word count somewhere between 500 and 2500 bucks), do it - just as for samples first, because there are lots of people out there calling themselves 'editors' who have no clue what they are doing. If you can't afford one, get as many of your literate friends to read your manuscript and mark it up for you as you can so you at least have as few mistakes as possible. If the story is good, the readers will be kind to you from there.

Readers who buy self-published work are reasonably forgiving of mistakes and typos, but only to a point. You only get one chance to launch your first book, so make it clean. I know that can be hard because it's so exciting to be done, but don't let enthusiasm shoot success in the foot.

GET A REALLY GOOD COVER. People can spot amateur a mile away. Also, use what is called a "Display Font" (look for them). Regular fonts are hard to read, especially since your cover will be displayed as a thumbnail on any list it is on.

As far as actually doing the file formatting, it's not super hard, if you are okay with going very basic look (as in, no graphics or fancy drop caps or weird chapter heading fonts etc.)  You can simply go into MS Word and click SAVE AS,  then scroll down to "OTHER FORMATS" then on the pop up, pick "Save as type" and go down to "Web Page, Filtered."  That will get you a basic html file that you can load into your Kindle KDP(amazon) and Nook (Barnes and Noble) converters. Just one thing: Take out ALL   "Tab" indents, and reformat with the Format Paragraph option (Format First Line: .05 -- or whatever you want).

That's it. Someone mentioned Smashwords, and they will convert your files for you for more formats than just Kindle and Nook, but 1) they take a cut, 2) they negotiate deals with publishers for all their writers, which can cut two ways if they get in a spat with Amazon, as other 2nd parties have, and 3) In my experience, you'll sell 100:1 Amazon:Kindle, and the rest don't even show up on the statistical radar. But, that's just my experience on the last one.

Good luck, and Motown2Chitown is right, feel free to shoot me an email if you need to. And again, congrats! You've really done something many people can't make themselves do. Your next books will be sooooooo much easier because the mental block is finally gone. Good luck!

1. ngureco profile image80
      ngurecoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congratulations, CMHypno.

Shadesbreath,

In kindle publishing, can one use block paragraphing - paragraphs without indentions - like you have done in your post here? At the end of every paragraph, you pressed the ‘enter’ key twice and then started writing on the second paragraph.

Thanks ngureco smile

2. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can. Steven King's recent book on writing was like that as I recall.

No worries. I believe in Karma, or something like it anyway. Share what you know, pay it forward, what comes around goes around, etc.  big_smile

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, Shades, didn't mean to pimp you out without your permission...lol  Glad you were willing and such a sport.  smile

3. CMHypno profile image83

Thanks for this great advice Shadesbreath and detailed reply.  I think that I wrote 'the end' to draw a line completing the first draft (and it made me feel good and gave me a great excuse to have a celebratory drink!)

It certainly needs copy editing and probably a great deal of revision.  I have already printed out a few copies and have pinpointed some friends to press gang into action.

Thanks for the offer of further advice, as this is a whole new learning process.  Most of the second book is already written because I split the first one in two, and three more are planned in the same series

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

Having the series written in advance is going to really help your sales, especially if you get a good launch on book one. You'll have a ready audience waiting for the next one and you can bring them out close together in time so as to maximize the Kindle algorithms. That's awesome. I wish I'd had my whole series written instead of outlined. I just barely finished the draft of book 2 the other day, and have TONS of revisions before I can release; gonna be 7 to 10 months between releases, and my book will probably be off any and all lists its on right now. Book 2 in theory will help bring Book 1 up, but with the space in between, Book 1 will be less useful for launching Book 2. (Hopefully that make sense). You are definitely doing it the right way on that front!

Thanks Shadesbreath, I have just started my copy editing and revision before I send it off to a professional editor, and its amazing what I can see on a printed page that I had not picked up on the screen however many times I had read it before

8. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Congrats! smile

Thanks Cagsil smile

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

9. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Congrats! Yeah!

Thanks Nell smile

10. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

CMHypno, a huge congratulations for a huge job no doubt well done! Hey....the next one will be easier! I sincerely hope you find a publisher, or at least look for one first before going down the self-publishing route.

I just feel that self-publishing is fraught with unforeseen difficulties, unless you are an expert marketer.

You never know, maybe the established publishers will be falling over themselves in the race to make you an offer smile

Here's hoping smile

Thanks for your congratulations, Izzy. smile

I'm going to try the self-publishing route for the first book and try and get somewhere with it, purely because it it so hard these days to get a deal with a traditional publisher and I've read that if you can prove that you already have one book that got some sales, then a publisher might be more inclined to take on a subsequent book.

Whether this is the right way to go or not, no doubt I'll find out.

11. AliciaC profile image92
    AliciaCposted 11 years ago

Congratulations, CMHypno! Best of luck with the book - I hope it's a great success when it's published!

Thanks Alicia smile

12. Mighty Mom profile image76
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

1. I think it's very exciting to know another soon-to-be-published author here on HP. Congratulations on finishing your mega draft!
    2. It inspires me to finish the book that I have 90% done. It's an expose, although I may change the names to protect myself from the guilty lol
    3. Not to be really dense and quaint, but does anyone publish the old fashioned way through publishers anymore?

Don't mean to hijack your thread here, CMHypno. But wouldn't we all like to   know if anyone's sold their story to a "house" where they handle the marketing, etc.?
    Or am I hopelessly outre on this?
    smile

1. Shadesbreath profile image77

There is still value in traditional publishing, but they are moribund, or close to it, in the form everyone knows, i.e, "Send us your stuff and we'll decide if you are worthy or not." 

Trad publishing still has lots to offer: Hardback deals, book shelf space, exposure, connections to Hollywood, and, (here's where it starts to get really, really hit or miss now), in theory access to top notch editing and top notch marketing.

The last ones aren't happening too well. Indie authors are finding authors and Amazon has made it really easy for readers and writers to find each other, and they give writers 70% of the profits. Readers get cheap books, authors can make a living. Readers are willing to accept a few typos to buy one and three dollar books for a good story. The traditional publishers have put out as much crap as good stuff, proving they have no better eye for "talent" than anyone else.

There is a place for both indie publishing and trad. publishing, but the Big 6 publishers are paying the price for their exclusionary, elitist stranglehold on what the populace had access to read, and with every new indie best seller, that model starts to look more and more antiquated. They have to leverage what they have and empower what they have tried to control and failed at... which is writing.

2. CMHypno profile image83

Hijack away Mighty Mom.  I have everything to learn, so other peoples questions and answers are always very informative.

An expose sounds really interesting, so you must keep us posted smile

13. Alastar Packer profile image70
    Alastar Packerposted 11 years ago

Congrats and good going CM- may fortune shine on your endeavors my friend.

Thanks Alastar - we need some sunshine over here in the UK as it is so cold and grey for May!

14. ripplemaker profile image78
    ripplemakerposted 11 years ago

Wow! Congratulations! I'm happy to hear this good news! Encourages me to continue with mine heheh big_smile

Thanks Ripplemaker - keep on with your book as I would really love to read it

15. Denise Handlon profile image87
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

Congratulations to you !  Woo hoo !  smile

Thanks - on a bit of a roll, as I split the original book in two as it got so long, and worked late last writing a new beginning to the second one.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Congrats CMHypno, and very well done. smile

Thanks Hollie. Am now checking through the first one and realising that I am an ! junkie, and that 95% of them have to go! - see there I go again smile

16. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

Firstly, congratulations. Secondly Shadesbreath has provided some very good insight. Thirdly research it, but do not follow it yet. If this is just the first draft have the manuscript read by about ten people that will give you an honest, no holds barred opinion and then question them on specific impressions of characters, story line ect. If you have target marketed the book (YA, Women’s commercial fiction, Sci-fi) at least one third of the readers should represent that target demographic.

During this “reading time” put the book aside and research publishing options. For self-publishing I’d suggest Smashwords for eBook and Createspace for trade hardcover or paperback.

Once you have your responses and have questioned your readers. Edit and rewrite the entire book to flesh out any issues that the readers may have addressed. For example a reader’s description of a character does not match the one you think you created in your mind’s eye. Only you know what that character is supposed to be like, but their impressions will tell you if you have imparted “your creation” to them.

Keep in mind here usually is a better book buried inside the original manuscript. I re-wrote my manuscript four times before publishing. While I was re-writing I also submitted the work to a few houses and Literary Agents and got some offers in response but you have to be very careful of the fine print. I decided against accepting these publishing house offers and opted for self-publishing, however it is worth submitting just to gauge a “professional market” reaction to the work. Good Luck.

Thanks for the great suggestions, I have just been through the manuscript cleaning it up and removing most of the exclamation marks that I seem to have gotten addicted to.  Have already got people reading, so am awaiting their response. smile

17. Gerg profile image78
    Gergposted 11 years ago

Congratulations!  It's an incredible accomplishment, so revel in that before worrying about the publishing aspect, which is a weighty and lengthy exercise.  Take a trip, go out for drinks and dinner, etc. 

When you're ready, I can also endorse Createspace.com, which is an Amazon affiliate.  Self-publishing is easier and much less expensive than years ago.

G

Thanks Gerg, it is promising to be a marathon rather than a sprint, so your advice is good about celebrating the end of a phase and pausing before I move on to the next one.

18. rmcrayne profile image91
    rmcrayneposted 11 years ago

Holy smokes!  A series.  Congrats and best of luck.  I'm just not that imaginative. 

Is there a Writer's Guild in your area?  For a small yearly membership, you can get loads of brutally honest feedback.

Formats vary, but in the local chapter where I live, members sign up each week to be read.  Several members bring a chapter of their book at a time.  In some cases, I think this may be helpful to do earlier in the process, vs when the entire book/story draft has been written.

There is a local writers group that I keep meaning to go to.  I'm not sure we have a Writer's Guild over here, but I'll check it our. Thanks for the suggestion.

19. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Congratulations CM, that's a big achievement!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)