I Am In Shock!

Jump to Last Post 1-24 of 24 discussions (73 posts)
  1. napetv profile image39
    napetvposted 12 years ago

I became a fan of a new Hubber, followed, and left some short, innocuous fan mail. Something like "She really knows about SEO..."

Ready for this...She denied the fan mail?!? What in the world. Yes, let me add, I was her 3rd fan, and possibly her 1st fan mail.

Now what kind of ingrate pulls that kind of s***?

I could have taken the high road, let it roll off my back. No. I promptly went and "defanned" her. It felt good, but I will never know why she denied my fan mail.

Has anybody else had a similar occurrence of complete ingratitude and actually bad behavior even?

P.S. This make not effect my incident's pertinacity, but she was British.

1. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can think of no valid reason to reject fan mail unless it's inappropriate which yours wasn't.  All I can think of is, being British, she might not appreciate the concept of fan mail.  Since the Beatles they haven't really had any occasion to use the term 'fan'.

1. Trish_M profile image80
        Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Is the impolite behaviour of one member a good reason to be negative towards all British people, I wonder?? smile

Sorry.  Didn't mean to come across as offending the British people.  My intention was to offend the British Government.

1. 2uesday profile image65
            2uesdayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Re/ insulting the Government, maybe that is almost impossible to do. They are so good at insulting the opposite side in Parliament. Anyway it seems the only opinions politicians really care about is what the press think of them or might say about them.

BTW If someone says words to the effect of -  I am following you so follow me, I tend to ignore that type of fan mail.

Same here.  Garnering fans by wighting is one thing.  Begging or 'swapping spit' as my youngest says is quite another.  On a serious note, I love Europeans!  Have to.  I married a Swede.

2. profile image0
            Kathryn LJposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh you can't insult that lot, we try it all the time and it's water of a ducks back.  Our illustrious leader left his baby in a pub, (he thought somebody else was taking care of it, apparently loads of people do it). Huh?  Press had a field day and he's still swanning around being a complete moron.  If a whole nation are rude about him what chance do you have?  I'm a British ex-pat by the way smile

2. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

roll  Yeah Right!!

They know what 'Groupies' are! big_smile

For me, I think the rudest I have been treated on this site in a similar way was recently, when I wished someone All the Best and Get Well Soon.. after they had stated in a hub that they had just come through an operation.
        They just completely ignored my (and another's) genuine wishes and continued to communicate with others! sad 

So... I got their message loud and clear and in return, my message is... "if you read this Please Delete my post on your hub... because the value of it's true meaning was lost in your empty reply!" sad

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
        mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, but as a British person I can only say this statement is utter rubbish. I have never heard of this being a problem before with British Hubbers, and it could just as easily have happened with an American, a Russian, a Frenchman, or in fact any other nationality of Hubber. To make out it is to do with a nationality  is ludicrous!

2. Trish_M profile image80
      Trish_Mposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I'm afraid that I have.

I won't go into details, but I was a fan of another member, and I encouraged others to read his work, but, sadly and inexplicably, he made completely untrue accusations against me, and insulted me several times, until HP finally dealt with the matter.

As you say, a complete shock, but that's life on the 'WWW', I suppose.

1. Pearldiver profile image68

Wow.... what a terrible version of the story! smile

Of course you surely ensured that you made a whole raft of derogatory remarks rubbishing that party and his work.. Surely? roll  ON HIS HUB!! sad

I don't believe the other party appreciated the flattery attached to the 'whatever' similarity to his previously published work!  sad 
        I am well aware that that particular party has had his ideas and content style 'copied' by many 'hubbers' and others... many of whom followed him - perhaps for that very reason! sad

Interesting result though... but it appears from your post here that it still 'smarts' huh? sad

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe it's possible that she just might not have moderated her fan mail yet? You did say that it's her first fan mail. Maybe she doesn't know how to moderate yet, since she is new here.  I never knew if we get a notification when our fan mail is denied.  I'm curious now. Did you get such a notification?

4. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, 'cos all British people are Hollywood cartoon villains who delight in pulling the wings off flies and denying people's fan mail. /sarcasm

5. CMHypno profile image80
      CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All hubbers have the right to either accept or deny fan mail that is why the feature is there - hubbers follow and unfollow each other all the time.

Also, there are quite a few of us British hubbers around who might just think you are a bit rude for making comments like 'but she is British

6. Judi Bee profile image90
      Judi Beeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe "she" was annoyed because "she" was a "he"? - just a thought smile

1. kthix10 profile image78
        kthix10posted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would make me deny it - if the she really was a he

7. christin53 profile image82
      christin53posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe because she was new she didn't understand what fan mail is or even where to find it. It took me a couple of weeks to find my way around.  But then I am British!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, you are excused then. big_smile

8. prettydarkhorse profile image61
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Don't take it personal. There are many other hubbers to follow!

9. profile image0
      lovedoctor926posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

I think she might have taken it the wrong way. or maybe she didn't understand what it was like christin53 says.

10. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've clicked on all sorts of wrong buttons before. Maybe she's like me?

11. JBrumett profile image60
      JBrumettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe she hit the wrong button.  =-P

12. cloverleaffarm profile image77
      cloverleaffarmposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I've never denied fan mail. Why would you do that? I don't know if anyone has ever denied mine. I never really paid much attention to that. Silly human.

13. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My idea is that she may have not moderated her fanmail. There is no way to know if she denied it without she stating that. If she is new she may not know how to moderate the fan mail just yet. Why would a new person deny a compliment? Makes no sense.

2. Shanna11 profile image74
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

That's rather odd. I love fan mail. Almost too much, in fact.....

3. aa lite profile image85
    aa liteposted 12 years ago

If she is new to HubPages, which by the sound of things she might be, perhaps she does not understand the concept of following, fans and fanmail.  Some people are wary of connecting with people online, perhaps she tought you were a stalker or a spammer.

1. Shanna11 profile image74
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Or maybe she thought SEO was a euphemism for something creepy....

Most likely not, but it's a possibility.

1. Wesley Meacham profile image60
        Wesley Meachamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What could be creepy about saying something like, "she really knows her SEO.....?"

Okay, never mind.

1. Bedbugabscond profile image96
          Bedbugabscondposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe she thinks SEO means "Staling every octopus" and in that case it would be very creepy!

1. silverstararrow profile image72
            silverstararrowposted 12 years agoin reply to this

LOL! big_smile big_smile

4. relache profile image68
    relacheposted 12 years ago

I deny fan mail when it includes statements asking me to follow the person back or to take a look at their Hubs.  And recently I went through all of my fan mail, back to the dawn of fan mail, and deleted any messages from users who show as now being banned.

That is a good idea. How can you tell they are banned? By going to their page and seeing the message, or is there an easier way to tell. That must have taken you some time!

1. relache profile image68
        relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The only way to tell is to look at their profile, and I went through each and every one.  I did it a chunk at a time over a few days so it wasn't too bad, but it felt right to remove those messages.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96

I do that with comments in hubs too. HubPages doesn't report a broken link when a Hubber is banned. So I need to review comments from time to time by following the link back to their profile. Relache has a good point, I need to do that with my fan mail too.

1. Cardisa profile image87

Glen I thought the link automatically was removed when a hubber leaves HP. I have tried clicking on such links and they are no follow so I leave the comments as visitor links. But removing them is something to think about.

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image80
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Relache - how do you find which users are banned from the fanmail info?  Not sure you'll see, but thought I'd ask

1. Glenn Stok profile image96

When you click to their profile, it will say, "This Hubber has been banned from HubPages."

4. KeithTax profile image73
      KeithTaxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

What a waste of time.

5. Cardisa profile image87

That's a great idea Relache. I have unfollowed banned people but haven't deleted their fan mail. Thanks for the idea. I too hate when someone leaves a fan mail and ask me to follow them, check out their hubs or leave a link.

5. janesix profile image61
    janesixposted 12 years ago

In shock?

Oh please. Give me a break.

Why do some people get so completely overly dramatic about inconsequential nonsense?

Who cares.

napetvposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I literally went into shock because of this.

No. Actually, I thought my over-dramatization of a forum title, would juxtapose nicely next to a rather mundane question.
      It's called sarcasm, look it up.

BTW- You got overly worked up over my little post.
      The same post detailing the situation which you deemed inconsequential. Yet you had to comment. This makes you "some people" like me.

Hey friend!

1. janesix profile image61
        janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

*yawn*

Drama queen.

2. TamCor profile image79
        TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good one...nice to see someone with a sense of humor!  lol

I have to agree with the others who think that maybe it was done by accident, being a newbie and all... smile

thx. That made me smile. I'm done here. Bye...

6. Bedbugabscond profile image96
    Bedbugabscondposted 12 years ago

Yeah, maybe he or she doesn't understand fan mail. Or maybe, she doesn't want it showing on her profile and doesn't know you can turn it off.

7. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

There's always the thing, too, about hitting the wrong button by accident - especially for someone who's new and hasn't run into enough "accidents" to know to slow down.  Some accidents can be undone.  Some can't.

1. Pearldiver profile image68

I remember years ago, quoting those exact words very loudly, as my future father-in-law loaded his shotgun and talked about accidents Lisa!  big_smile

8. Daughter Of Maat profile image87
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

My initial reaction was what if she accidently hit the wrong button, they are pretty close to each other!

But I have no idea why anyone would deny fan mail, aside from the obvious "I followed you, you follow me" fan mail.

I love hearing from my "fans." Every time I read a piece of fan mail I smile. Someone took the time to send me a message saying they liked my work and for me it's greatly appreciated.

I won't deny your fan mail if you send me some lol lol tee hee hee

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I reject quite a lot of fan mail.  If I don't think it is genuine, or if it doesn't fit with the messages I want to show on my feed - I don't bother with it.  Yes, it's a bit rude.  No, I don't lose any sleep over it.

I admit playing the look at me and love me game for the first part of my 'career' - now I just want money.

10. MelissaBarrett profile image59
    MelissaBarrettposted 12 years ago

Wow... you shock easily.  If denied fan mail shocks you, you would likely faint dead away at any of my family dinners. Seriously though I'm going with wrong button by mistake.

1. Xenonlit profile image61
      Xenonlitposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would think wrong button too, except for the "SEO" word, which is not full of meaning and can be viewed as spam like.

11. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

Queen Victoria was supposed to have said "We are not amused."

Was that in response to a similar incident? smile

12. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

When you post fan mail, it's not shown by default until the recipient explicitly accepts it. Is it possible she just hasn't approved your fan mail yet?

No,It actually said "denied"

I feel foolish for asking this question now. I always thought my
      type of humor is misinterpreted on black and white 1080p or whatnot.
      Like mentioning British people. More of an attempt at self-effacing humor; portraying myself as an ignorant American, scared of all the Brits he's never met.

Joke is on me for trying to joke with the humorless(mostly anyway)

1. TamCor profile image79
        TamCorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't take the view of ONE person as being the view of all of us--I "got" it, and I'm sure others did, too! big_smile

13. SandyMcCollum profile image61
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

Complete ingratitude, hmmm.... do you think they should be thankful for your work? As for being rude, why is it rude? She has complete freedom to fan whom she wants, same as you. Just because you fan her it doesn't mean she must fan you as well; only fan those whose writing touches you in some way. It's okay if your writing doesn't touch her or isn't loved by someone, there are always others that will love it. I say she hit the wrong key, but now you've un-fanned her, so she may be offended.

What comes around goes around, don't forget, while you're unfanning people.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87

I don't think he was worried about her not 'fanning' him back, it was the fact she apparently denied his fan mail as if it was offensive in some way.

I am with many here who think this could be an accidental denial of fan mail, or someone who doesn't understand what SEO actually stands for so denied the fan mail in ignorance.

14. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 12 years ago

I don't know who the hubber was but it was entirely up to her to accept or reject the fan mail, for any reason at all, weird or worthy.

One of the pleasures of working here is that our accounts are our accounts.

It might have been a relative of WriteAngled, of course. And she might have noticed your 'Ceratin Hubs' page.

15. Redberry Sky profile image89
    Redberry Skyposted 12 years ago

Personally, I'm far too busy going to tea with the Queen to moderate fan mail.  Not to mention all those spying missions for the Home Office, and car chases in black Aston Martins, all while I'm wearing mini-skirts and knee length boots.  Such is the life of the average British subject. Busy busy busy. Sigh.

16. silverstararrow profile image72
    silverstararrowposted 12 years ago

Um, maybe she did actually press the wrong button. The first fanmail is generally a cause for excitment, not offence. hmm

I cannot be certain how she could misinterpret your message. Anyway, some people are difficult to figure out. Don't worry too much about it. As someone mentioned, it's all part of the 'WWW' world.

17. profile image0
    Vincent Mooreposted 12 years ago

Quite possibly she clicked the wrong button accidentally. It happens, but if she was defanned, maybe she could have questioned it. Also being new could have caused her to make an error. And pointing out that she was British? what the heck does that have to do with it? You may have acted in haste my friend. LOLLLL

1. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

good point Vincent smile

18. 2uesday profile image65
    2uesdayposted 12 years ago

I suppose it narrows the field of likely suspects down a bit.

We do have such odd ways you know and we have been this way for so long that it is really difficult for us to change. Oh wait, maybe that is not a trait of the British but the English. Anyone for afternoon tea and a game of croquet? Shall I make the cucumber sandwiches or go to the red telephone box at the end of the street and invite the guests?

19. napetv profile image39
    napetvposted 12 years ago

yep yep. I am a total moron, with no clue.

20. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 12 years ago

This might seem weird, but maybe it's the SEO thing. She may be a very great writer or SEO person, but there are a lot of self-titled "Gurus" out there. Maybe she wants to avoid the "SEO writer" cliche.

I helped a company out with their website a few years ago because it was not search engine friendly. They put a fabulous write-up on my LinkedIn page and I have it set to hidden. While I totally appreciate the compliment, I don't want people to think that I've given myself the title of "SEO guru extraordinaire" because I reallllllly don't think that's an accurate picture of me. The company's website just needed a little help.

But yeah, your comment seems innocent. I'm just trying to figure out a legit reason someone would deny it. A bit of a stretch because one little mention of SEO shouldn't hurt.

Maybe she accidentally denied it. Or maybe she thinks you're kind of cute and her super jealous husband might think there's something between you because of your comment. (You know those crazy jealous types.)

Or maybe she thinks she's terrible at SEO and didn't deserve such a nice compliment.

tongue tongue

Mel, you make a good point. Since Google changes what it wants so often, it is difficult for anyone to take the label SEO Guru. There are guys out there who sell expensive programs because they are self proclaimed SEO Gurus, and theit advice doesn't work because Google changes things up so often.

21. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

Treat it for the instance it happened and move forward. I have two hubs that are ***cking awesome, but the traffic on them is shite, complete shite. Do I have heaps of comments on them? No. Are they in the top ranking for SEO? no. I KNOW they are awesome hubs, even if other people don't give a rats arse.

You cannot please some people some of the time and the best suggestion is not to take things personal.

The moment you do you won't last long with this site or similar ones. Write it off and move forward. There are more important concerns anyway smile

22. Trish_M profile image80
    Trish_Mposted 12 years ago

Hi smile

Just to clarify, is 'defanning' the same as 'unfollowing'?

Yes, that is correct. On HP followers used to be called fans, but then it was changed to followers which many felt implied a kind of creepy stalkerish person shuffling around after them like some kind of zombie. Unfortunately HP stuck with their decision and fans became officially known as followers instead.

1. agvulpes profile image84
        agvulpesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why they did not change 'fan mail' to 'follower mail' ? wink hmm smile

Good question indeed. wink

23. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

I have to admit that given the silly comments I leave for fan mail, I wouldn't be surprised if people rejected them. I wouldn't mind either. No big deal.

24. Rafini profile image80
    Rafiniposted 12 years ago

sounds like a sock puppet who doesn't want fan mail.  maybe you were too quick to judge?  (just an option, no offense intended)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)