Is there a difference between true faith and blind faith?

Jump to Last Post 51-95 of 95 discussions (97 posts)
  1. liftandsoar profile image60
    liftandsoarposted 12 years ago

I guess the term "blind faith" comes from the comment of Paul's "we walk by faith, not by sight."  (II Cor.5:7)  But I think it has been grossly misapplied in our times.  Paul did not mean that his faith was irrational or foolish.  While he could not grasp with his senses the fact that to die is to be at home with the Lord, he reasoned from scores of biblical assurances that this would be the case.  That is faith at its best; believing what God has said.  True faith is never blind.  It always rests on reasonable data.

2. Borsia profile image40
    Borsiaposted 12 years ago

Not really.
    Faith in any god is blind as there is no real reason to think one exists.
    If ones faith is in "something beyond" that is indescribable then it is equally unfounded because it is too vague to be called a god.
    So my first question about any faith is what exactly is your god?
    All "end of the world" predictions are pure BS. They have been made since the dawn of time and will be made by fools till the end finally comes,,, from something else.

3. profile image0
    Sheena Sahniposted 12 years ago

There is nothing wrong in having  blind faith as far as the person in whom you are having the faith is not blind .
    Then the faith automatically becomes true faith!

4. Kaddam profile image60
    Kaddamposted 12 years ago

True Faith is dedication to your beliefs because you did the proper research to make a "conclusion" in what you have faith in or why you are faithful.

Blind Faith is ignorance of dedication without checking the proper references and thinking your reference are good

(i.e. Atheism)

5. EmpressAwesome profile image62
    EmpressAwesomeposted 12 years ago

All faith is blind, because faith is believing without seeing/knowing. Even with prayer, you have faith that what you pray for will come to pass, but you don't really know-- God may decide that it's not right for you and you'll get something else, or he'll make you wait for it.

6. profile image58
    harpreetsaniakaurposted 12 years ago

when you neglect the difference between right and wrong thats your blind faith but on the contrary when you oversee a wrong as wrong and right as right thats true faith.

7. downhillXnow profile image60
    downhillXnowposted 12 years ago

I recently met a young lady who can sing like I have never heard!  She is about 15, cute, friendly, and just a nice girl.  Only difference between her and other girls her age, besides her voice, is her eyes.  She is blind.  Now, take another teenage girl, put them next to each other.  What's the difference between the two?  One can see and one can't.  Which one then would have the more genuine faith?  The one who can see to walk, or the one who walks in darkness trusting someone else.

8. scearcex4 profile image61
    scearcex4posted 12 years ago

Faith is believing in things you have not yet seen.

9. tandptravel profile image60
    tandptravelposted 12 years ago

I think true faith is from God and blind faith is from human

10. Sinbadsailorman profile image60
    Sinbadsailormanposted 12 years ago

We come to Faith Blinded. By exercising it we begin to see. By living it, Our sight is restored.

Blind Faith is the Seeding of Belief. In someone or something You do not yet Know or See! After you have experiences or after the thing in question is focused upon on you are able to see or see It more clearly.

The blind shall lead the blind and they shall both fall in unto the ditch. Study the scripture to show Thy self approved. We walk by Faith and Not by Sight. We are lead by faith one step at a time. So it always appears that we are Blind.

If the enemy Knows what you Know then you are failed, But If you know not until the appointed Time then You are VICTORIOUS!

If GOD be with You Who could Stand Against You? God Shall Never  Forsake You Or Leave You!  Take His Hand and Make A Stand! Be not Afraid. He Goes before You Always.

Faith of any kind is trust with a belief in an outcome. And dying in Faith is not a bad thing, but Knowing How to Walk is a better thing! Faith!  Either you have It! Or You Do Not!

Hope this Clears It Up for You Some. Donnie/ Sinbad the Sailor Man

11. Perpeptua profile image61
    Perpeptuaposted 12 years ago

no - they are the same thing. At least in my opinion anyway.

I'm sure the people involved would disagree.

12. Savva Pelou profile image61
    Savva Pelouposted 12 years ago

i believe that blind faith is more powerful then true faith, true faith insists that you have all the answers you are looking for and none are doubtful or negative, blind faith is insight of the unanswered questions and doubtful perceptions, you put your trust in god to guide you

13. profile image52
    Kermitaposted 12 years ago

Hebrews 11:1. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.

True faith is the belief of things even if you cannot see it. I agree that it comes from prayer, meditation, and reading of the Word.  Blind faith is just belief in something, but you don't really believe it. You won't pray, you won't meditate. With blind faith, you have no idea what you are doing, just believing. This can be good in some cases, but it generally not very beneficial.

14. petexanh profile image60
    petexanhposted 12 years ago

Doesn't true faith have to be blind by its nature? It's belief in something without definitive proof of whether it is the truth or not. Faith is the step we make beyond what we know.

Philip K. Dick said 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.'

15. koolami profile image62
    koolamiposted 12 years ago

Yes,there is a difference true faith think from mind as well as from heart where as blind faith always think from heart only.

16. saunderscourt profile image57
    saunderscourtposted 12 years ago

True faith vs. Blind faith.
    Technically, all faith is blind. Faith is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Heb 11:1
    In other words, what you get from having faith is...faith. And faith is what keeps the world going. It is faith in the possibility of a better world in our collective and individual future that causes people to choose order over chaos and anarchy.
    But none of us can know the future can we? We can never know what our hard work, or lack of hard work, today will yield tomorrow. 
    The difference between blind faith and "true faith" is really the difference between science/religion and spirituality. True faith is something you believe will happen because you have seen it happen before. We do things "religiously" like going to the church/temple/mosque because we have seen and heard and felt good things in these places that we probably carried with us through the rest of the day or week. We learned something about how to treat others, how to treat ourselves, how to view events, etc. that inspired us to treat others better, treat ourselves better, or view events more clearly. So the practicioner of that "faith" "religiously" goes back to the church or synagogue or temple or mosque again.
    We exercise religiously because we have faith that we will be better off from doing so.
    Blind faith is believing in something all people cannot see. Perhaps certain people believe they can "see" heaven or the afterlife or even God but the overwhelming majority of us cannot. We can see what we believe is the evidence of God or the "Hand of God" in events, nature, people, etc. but we simply cannot see beyond what we are able to apprehend with our senses.
    We can Imagine seeing God or perhaps being dead and in heaven or hell.  But we cannot actually visit God or heaven or hell in the same way we can go visit a friend or go to sleep and have either sweet dreams or nightmares.
    An atheist believes there is no God. "A" plus"theist" equals no God or without God. A "theist" believes in a God, just maybe not YOUR God. An atheist has blind faith there is no God.
    An agnostic denies real knowledge of God in the empirical sense. "A" plus"gnostic" (gnosis means knowledge) equals no experience of God. The agnostic can be open to the possibility of an experience of God.

17. Themis profile image60
    Themisposted 12 years ago

It is the same.
    When you know something, you don't need to believe, because you KNOW.
    But there are some people who say they know, but it's only [blind] faith.

18. karen2rod profile image61
    karen2rodposted 12 years ago

There's a vast though invisible difference between them which is distinguished by the intelligence of your mind. If you are not using it then its your blind faith.

19. cobrien profile image60
    cobrienposted 12 years ago

Faith is belief in things unseen. All faith is blind.

20. Finn mac Faelan profile image60
    Finn mac Faelanposted 12 years ago

No. I think no matter the qualifier used, faith must have a large element of blindness to it, or else it's not faith. After all, faith is the belief in, and acceptance of, things unseen but taken to be true, although with no absolute knowledge and evidence that they are in fact true. If I know something is true, faith is irrelevant. If I see and hear a duck quacking in front of me--I don't need to have faith that ducks quack. I know that ducks quack. I guess you might say that for faith to be true faith it must be blind.

21. Mrs. Robin Hood profile image61
    Mrs. Robin Hoodposted 12 years ago

I absolutely believe there is a difference. In blind faith you believe simply because you are told to or it is all you know. I think true faith comes from a personal journey, one that involves questioning, searching and finally coming to terms because it is what is in your heart rather than what is in your mind.

22. profile image58
    soniacharanposted 12 years ago

true faith is believing after you have see it or you know it.
    blind faith is believing what somebody other had told you about it.
    one should definately have true faith and less blind faith.

23. chasemillis profile image68
    chasemillisposted 12 years ago

Blind faith almost sounds like ignorance and the laziness to research what you believe, which is a problem with most everyone. True faith is RARE, and finding someone who has true faith is someone worth knowing and a friend worth keeping

24. snoblet profile image82
    snobletposted 12 years ago

In a religious point of view, true faith is believing in someone and putting that belief into action.  A Catholic person for example believes that there is a God and because of that he does pray and care for others.  On the other hand, blind faith means believing in someone but not putting that belief into action. Example is a Catholic person that believes the 10 commandments was given by God to Moses as guidance or rules to humanity but takes it for granted and not put it into action.

25. arksys profile image83
    arksysposted 12 years ago

I think true faith is blind faith.

My faith system talks about the "unseen" or things the eyes cannot see, it talks about heaven and hell, it talks about the day of judgement and all the other good stuff.

I think, truly believing in all of it, is the blind part of true faith.

26. )*( profile image60
    )*(posted 12 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5462116_f260.jpg

True faith is that which you know in your heart to be true.  All else is blind faith, including science & logic derived from sense data.  As a physicist I know how thin this veil we call reality really is.  Current understandings holds that all observation effects the observed.  Meaning it is impossible to know what was. Even logic itself has proved that no complete logic system can be consistent.  (see Gödel's incompleteness theorems)  Sense data is even more flawed given that they are based on neurontic interpretation of biological processes.   

I am outraged at the number on this forum assuming that blind belief in science & logic is somehow not blind.  Of course, to blindly believe someone else's interpretation of all this only adds the possibility of even more inaccuracies!   Believe your own heart my friends, that's all there truly is.

27. profile image54
    Glorhiaposted 12 years ago

i think true faith is when believing in GOD or when u pray and meditate,while blind faith means believing in gods and not good in prayers

28. greenville profile image60
    greenvilleposted 12 years ago

Your definition of blind faith is a bit different from how I would define it.  In a sense, prayer, reflection and meditation is still blind in that it trust the unseen that may go against what our other senses are telling us.

29. paisley2006 profile image59
    paisley2006posted 12 years ago

In my opinion I feel there is no difference because if you have true faith wouldn't it be blind as well? Having faith in God means you trust Him 100% and you don't doubt the things He does in your life.

30. joejagodensky profile image61
    joejagodenskyposted 12 years ago

True faith is blind faith.  True faith is actually an oxymoron.  Faith is faith, defined as believing in something greater than yourself.

31. saudevidaeamor profile image54
    saudevidaeamorposted 12 years ago

True faith can only be understood in a spiritual context, because the Bible where the word faith was found, and something that only the spiritual man can have. The natural man can not see. There needs to be awakened and let go of things here and remember a Power greater than he, the Higher Power, God. So it is possible believe.
    Blind faith can be seen in many ways .. Gullibility, over-reliance on someone or something. But true faith is what gives fruits and moves mountains, either problems or people, or even things. I've heard that a storm that departed from a place in southern Brazil because people were there praying with faith, fervently. Faith in God or anything, needs to believe that will happen with some basis in reality, a point of basis. Otherwise, should be blind faith that makes someone believe in something that may be hurting herself and or others. Blind faith could be called the presumption ... What is very dangerous. May we have always the true faith and firm.

32. wedmed profile image61
    wedmedposted 12 years ago

religion is a drug anyway. So, it does not matter whether you take this drug consciously or not.

33. iloveglee83 profile image61
    iloveglee83posted 12 years ago

For me true faith is your faith in your religion and how you hold to what you believe. I also believe that blind faith is just another way for people to say taht they are trusting someone about something, ex: "I'm leaving it to blind faith that you really will do that for me"  Nothing really religious about blind faith to me, just a term used for trust. Theses are just my opinions though smile

34. profile image58
    Mohammad Wasimposted 12 years ago

A big different between two types of faith.
    Blind faith is to believe on the religion blindly. No experiment, no question, no suggestion and no further addition. Believe the religious Book blindly.That's all.

True Faith: define in to two ways:

Blind faith is also a kind of true faith. When you accept the religion with believe.
    It means, you belongs to a religion, on which you have a faith. It is no more blind.

I am still looking for the true faith. True faith,you can not get from religions.you do not need to have any faith normally . I exist, the God exist. We have created a God and make the mankind unhappy. It is beyond our thinking, beyond the capacity of our brain to use to find a invisible power, how he looks like.
    So, true faith does not exist as far as you do not see the creator.

35. Katya Drake profile image60
    Katya Drakeposted 12 years ago

There is a difference between true faith and blind faith. True faith comes through prayer and study. When we learn something new about the gospel we need to pray and study it out so that we may know for ourselves that it is true. Blind faith occurs when we just follow anything we hear or read without studying it out or asking God through prayer if it is true. My church teaches the importance of having true faith through study and prayer and the dangers and downfalls of blind faith. It is important to know the difference.

36. AirenEleigh47 profile image60
    AirenEleigh47posted 12 years ago

Blind faith is like walking across a highway with your eyes closed. True faith is actually believing you'll cross the road unscathed. Blind faith is for the reckless, impulsive and dumb. It is subject to accidents, swindles and a number of things to regret. Look at what happened when they said it was the end of the world! True faith is an informed strong belief that guides your every decision and tells you that only God knows when the end of the world would be so everyday preparation is needed unlike the uneventful plight people struggled with after giving everything they have to everybody and realizing it's NOT the end of the world and they're hell as poor. It is what every individual must possess whatever their religion is. smile

37. xmobile profile image60
    xmobileposted 12 years ago

God i'm so tired, do all my work for me today.

God give me strength to work today cos i'm so tired

Which one is blind faith?

38. wiseoldaccountant profile image60
    wiseoldaccountantposted 12 years ago

With bling faith you never question your faith.

With true faith you question your faith and still retain it.

39. CloudExplorer profile image76
    CloudExplorerposted 12 years ago

True faith to me means you never question it's integrity and are living in its very essence for a specified purpose to gain an awareness of it's origin & specific cause for being. 

Blind faith, I believe means it doesn't matter what your belief is, as long as you go with something that's been started, so there really is no integrity or feedback mechanism of purpose to it, & no point of rest or true origin.  Similar to blind allegiance, or joining something without just cause, just following aimlessly.

40. mackyanderson profile image61
    mackyandersonposted 12 years ago

True faith possessed by the persons that do's great deed's to others, not in public. (helping others without broadcasting about it in the public) also those persons that serves others loves their neighbors, most specially their family. While the blind faith are those people that help others in the front of the public, knowing the fact that they wanted to be seen as a good person to the face of others. Blind faith also possessed by those person that goes to church yet do ridiculous things to others. Remember faith means love. God wants us to love each other, in that thing you can prove that your faith reaches to highest heights.

41. arsh dadwal profile image58
    arsh dadwalposted 12 years ago

faith is faith. its a deep feeling. if we feel it no one can change it wether blind or whatever. blind faith IS something that others notice all we know IS that we have faith in whatever thing we feel faith in . its kind of mystifying wow such a tough question man.
    well
    thats what i feel
    thankyou.......

42. Spartan Training profile image59
    Spartan Trainingposted 12 years ago

faith has absolutely nothing to do with believing...when we don't understand our own being...we get disconnected from our spiritual reality...our spiritual relationship to life...faith is a spiritual value...faith is something that is lived moment to moment...faith is open to possibility and potential...

you see...it all starts with believing...instead of thinking...you hear it all the time...people will say they believe this and they believe that..there is such a huge difference between believing and thinking...thinking is open...believing is like taking thinking and putting it in a box...the confusion here is that so many have been programed into believing...believing that believing is thinking...and when there is belief...the conclusion of the belief closes you off to thinking and without thinking and acknowledging and seeing what it is...there can be no faith in the new day...only a belief from yesterday carried over into this day...and you cannot think about a new day...because your belief has prevented you from thinking about the new...and without thinking and seeing there can be no spiritual relationship to life...faith is neither blind nor true...faith is a spiritual quality lived in relation to life...it is not a thing you have...but a thing that is lived.

think about this...right in the middle of be-lie-ve... is a 'lie'...

43. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image61
    Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 8 years ago

'True faith' has lead me to seeing the image of Jesus in the 'Divine Mercy' image, with my eyes closed, he was standing 10 feet on my left, gazing at me in white robes, shining light around him, vs blind faith.
    In the power of His words comes the truth in our being, Jesus is the truth in this life, in 'divine logic' we may know, as we humble ourselves to God, the way Jesus has humbled himself to The Father.
    In my many miracle experiences, healing from a mild heart attack in 2002, and a mild stroke in 2010, surrendering everything I have to God in this world, Jesus has enlightened me, from my blindness, I have seen his truth, that in his words comes the power of healing, the power of love and mercy, and power of life over death, and indeed, Jesus is the truth in this world, as light of creation, he gives life for he is the 'resurrection and the life.'
    The Holy Spirit has equipped me with the 'word of God,' where, in John 1:1, Jesus is the 'word of God,' and he is 'I am,' the God of Abraham, Isaac and Moses, he is One Spirit with the Father, and One Spirit with the Holy Ghost or Spirit.  He is our One true God possessing the same Spirit of God.
    His words are absolute and perfect as God is perfect.
    His words, as God's words are, they are eternal and will live on forever.
    In 'true faith' comes the truth in God's words, leading to the universal church in the Roman Catholic faith, leading us to 'true faith,' as in 1 John 5:6, three elements of faith are in agreement:  'water' in baptism where we die in Christ, the 'blood' of Christ where cleansing is made complete in body, heart and soul where in the Holy Eucharist we are made one body with Christ, and the 'Spirit of God' where Christ and the holy ones in their spirit come to testify in this truth, that Jesus died and resurrected for us in body and Spirit, that we too may die and be one with him in the cleansing of our heart and soul in the Holy Eucharist, where by 'true faith,' in our love of God and of others, we become one body with Christ, as our sins are forgiven by the priests, together with the priests, we are consecrated with Christ in the forgiveness of our sins. giving glory to The Father through His only begotten Son.
    In the many revelations of the Holy Spirit, I come as an instrument of The Lord, not to boast of myself because in God's sight, it is a sin to boast, everything in this life comes from God, when we die, as when we were born we have nothing. In Him I boast, O my Lord.

44. Denis Lubojanski profile image39
    Denis Lubojanskiposted 8 years ago

I think true faith comes from realization. I have understood something and I have a lot of logic that is undeniable.
    On the other hand blind faith comes from belief. My father or mother told me something and i believe that thing without any kind of logic. To believe without having any logic within thyself is blind faith.
    Almost all the sufferings of mankind is a result of blind faith. Logic is the ultimate way and you have to understand this.

1. Edwinoel Tanglao profile image61
      Edwinoel Tanglaoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Human logic comes from a more superior logic, "Divine Logic,' leading to what is true in eternal life.  Jesus in the truth, the way and the life, this is eternal truth, in 'divine logic' we may best know, truth - leading to what is 'common sense.'

45. The0NatureBoy profile image55
    The0NatureBoyposted 6 years ago

My answer is yes.

Anything less than finding evidence and substance to support unseen beliefs is "blind faith" and does nothing for the believer. An example: One say they have faith in the man called Christ whose instructions in many of his teachings say he is the example of truth personified and we are to follow his example and teachings yet everything they do is just like everything in the world except they may attend a "religious brainwashing" service. How are they to teach others, as they wonder "all the world" as the great commission demands, what thing they observed as they followed spirit's directions and communicate it to those who seek then out? They can't, they can only reiterate the Christ's, and/or his disciples', teachings without any experience to justify saying they have faith in Christ.

Another term for "true faith" is educate, defined; "objectively observing, participating to discover different outcomes [at least 3, left, right and middle], reasoning with the outcomes and obtain the ability to communicate them to others." An example: The Christ said "fox have holes, birds has nests but the son of man has no where to lay his head" and during his ministering in Israel he was never in any one place long and also said "the reborn" are like the wind, we hear its sound but don't know where it went nor from where it came and everyone born again will be the same. Faith is when one lives likes he described for the born again who observe all things objectively to see various outcomes, reason with them then communicate their findings to any who are interested.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)