jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Why does the media only talk about when atheist......

1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 4 years ago

Why does the media only talk about when atheist......

want Christians to stop something, but they never talk about the protesters that are Christians that stand outside abortion clinics, boycott alcohol and marijuana sales, and so on? If an atheist group comes out and says they want a school or city to stop prayer it seems to make national media. Yet every day there are Christians shouting gays are going to hell (on street corners) or protesting abortion clinics. The only way I read about the Christians is online yet my local media covers anything atheists do. What's the difference?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

I think the media likes to perpetuate negative stereotypes in general when it suits their agenda.  If you keep people distrusting and hating other groups enough and fighting amongst themselves, it's easier for the powers that be to control the lot of us.

In fairness, the media gives excessive airtime to the Westboro Baptist freaks too who claim to be Christian.

3. IDONO profile image82
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

I have nothing bad to say about Atheists as I respect their disbelief as much as I want them to respect my belief. As a group, I don't consider them bad at all. There are many people raised Christian that are some of the worst people on Earth. So, I'm being fair.
         When Christians boycott, demonstrate or protest an issue, usually they state their case and then they are done. The media finds this very uninteresting and a far too predictable ending. On the other hand, when the people are, let's call them "radical non-believers", that are protesting, it is a more interesting story; more radical, unpredictable interviews and outrageous behavior. Not always, but the potential is always there. More than that, there is the potential of other stories coming out of those stories such as violence, lawsuits and of course the A.C.L.U. reaction, which is always interesting, in a sick way. The news thrives on perpetuating stories until they are completely milked dry.
         The media no longer values a story on it's content or importance. It only values it on what sells. And unfortunately, the public buys into it. Sad, but true.

4. MizBejabbers profile image90
    MizBejabbersposted 4 years ago

I agree that the media wants to perpetuate the negative. I also think that most media personnel were raised "christian" or at least to be sympathetic to christians rather than atheists, whether that home practiced christianity or not. Many people claim to be christian, but are really not. They are not baptized into the church and do not attend church, but they still consider themselves "christian", so they are not going to be neutral on the point of atheism or beliefs that go against church teachings such as abortion or gays. I have a catbird seat into the situation, since one parent was an atheist and the other was a christian. However, my atheist father's beliefs fell right in line with socially acceptable beliefs of the church. He did not approve of gays, but he had to keep his mouth shut outside of our immediate family because he had a gay nephew.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I'd say it's more about sensationalism and ratings than any sort of message. Media does what it has to do in order to get you to watch. We've seen religious fundamentals on television for decades, but atheist fundamentals are still relatively new. Add to that a nation that is largely christian and you've got a lot of people tuning in and getting angry. It's unfortunate that it worked out this way, but it's business, which has always been kind of soulless.

6. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8378298_f260.jpg

Prejudice, pure and simple.  America despite its outer secularistic outlook is a religious society nevertheless.  According to a poll, 80% of Americans belong and/or profess to belong to a religious denomination.   Many Americans are affliliated to religions, if in name only.   They view religion as a ticket to familial and social acceptance in addition to an afterlife insurance policy.

Religious dictates have always ruled America from the infamous censorious Hayes Laws in 1934 which curtailed the type of movies that were to played in movie houses until the late 1960s to religious protests against birth control in the earlier part of the 20th century.  Religious authorities have always had THEIR say into how things were to be run.   

Sadly, atheists are considered to be outsiders and the odd person out in American culture.  Atheists are often demonized, ostracized, or worse.  Yes, there seems to be a double standard where atheists are concerned. It is FINE to castigate and demonize atheists because they are considered to be personae non gratae.  After all, atheists are the MINORITIES and  in this society, minorities really don't count for much and considered to be "lesser persons". 

Atheists are THE OTHER as far as this religious society goes.  Religious people, by inherent strength of their majority, feel that they can do as they please to atheists-that is acceptable.  However, to many, the religious majority is sacrosanct in whatever they do.

7. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 4 years ago

Because the media is all about news that sells.....the more controversial and sensational, the better. Sadly, atheists are one of those groups that seem to be seen as "fair game."   I'd have to say, in all fairness, I have seen numerous stories on some of the more CRAZY/radical so-called Christians, as of late.  Especially that group of ignorant bible thumpers who gather at the funerals of veterans....with the backwoods Pastor who likes to call attention to his mass-burning of the Koran.  But, your question is a fair one.  It deserves a rational and factual response.   
    Media is rarely fair or balanced.   Their penchant for particular stories that they consider NEWS, depends on so many factors.   What is needed, quite realistically, is more atheists who work in the media field!

8. Borsia profile image43
    Borsiaposted 4 years ago

They only care about ratings and not about being even handed in reporting anything.
    When you live abroad for awhile you see just how absurdly biased the American media is. Not just in their treatment of atheist but about all of their reporting.
    They play to the lowest audience level in news just as they do in sitcoms.

9. NiaLee profile image60
    NiaLeeposted 4 years ago

Religions and their rules that keep people safe and in line have existed for ever... people security, safety, survival of family in them. They have been the hope, the motivation and the discipline for millions for ever. The example of Christ's kindness, discipline, compassion and forgiveness is appealing to many. So, we can definitely not compare a loving respectful giving religious person to somebody who has reached a level where the pain they have for unborn being taken of a womb, chemical imbalance that leads to unreasonable behaviors, or else make them express it in a very public way that  hurts others.
    This is a very delicate subject, always about spreading the world and wanting others to live a better life the way they enjoy, know and understand.
    Nowadays, things are very difficult for everybody, religious, spiritual, agnostic, atheist... I had friends pray for me because I meditate, others call me a demon or else!!! WHAT TO DO??? I stay calm and tell them I love them the way they don't Love me, I am peaceful the way they are not, I respect them and their choices the way they don't respect me or mine, so...let them look into themselves.

working