jump to last post 1-50 of 77 discussions (143 posts)

I Remember When...

1. fiftyish profile image61
    fiftyishposted 5 years ago

I remember when Elton John was bald! What do you remember?

1. snakeslane profile image81
      snakeslaneposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I remember when we had a crank telephone. Our phone number was three long and two short.

2. jennzie profile image84
      jennzieposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I remember when the only game console in our house was a Nintendo.

I remember when the popular toys were furbies and Beanie babies.

I remember when I was able to stand on my head.

I remember playing Four Square and "Miss Mary Mack" during recess.

3. The Suburban Poet profile image80
      The Suburban Poetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I remember:

"Project Terror!!!! Where the scientific and the terrifying emerge!!!!"

4. profile image61
      puellaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I remember the "if" poem by Rudyard Kipling

1. profile image61

and I remember Engelbert Humperdink and his suave style and potent voice and his 'there goes my everything'...
        I remember when fruit-only ice cream, precursor of 'smoothie', was in vogue as the ultimate indulgence; I used to drive! a few Kms. to get a coconut one or a passion fruit one...
        and I remember the drive-in (only one) hamburger place and the auto-cinema in town: I never had a taste for them as, I used to think, what's the fun of waiting in the car...if we were eating 'out' wink and popcorns won't taste the same if eaten and 'messing' up dad's car wink..
        I remember the wild mango trees by the beach and the bees threatening anybody close to those mangoes on the month of May, particularly,  and I remember the ripe papayas, of some four kilos or so, at a cost of one whole dime!!! and the same for watermelons...

2. profile image61

and,in an analogy of "the wheels of the bus go 'round 'n 'round" (all-inclusive of  eternity and fate, free will (huh?), and success and failure, and being and beingless), I remember reading and being delighted by Flannery O'Connors and her "revelation' story which is about exposing the 'self-righteous' ... In a way, feeling in the right track most of the times has nothing to do with living for real and being human wink that is, dreaming, hoping, achievements, failures, erring, ups-and-downs, happiness and sorrows, love and lovelessness, and celebrations and tragedies, which sum up a good part of our conscious 'life', or unconsciuos?

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I remember when Liberace was a man.

3. fiftyish profile image61

I remember when a man used to hold a door open for a lady, or pull a chair out, without getting his head bit off!

1. WriteAngled profile image91
      WriteAngledposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wish doors were still opened...

As for chairs, I don't have dining partners any more, so that question does not arise.

I remember in the emigre Polish community in which I grew up, men would kiss women's hands as a greeting. Always found that OTT and rather gross!

2. The Suburban Poet profile image80
      The Suburban Poetposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I still do that and 90% of the time I can tell the woman is quite pleased; occassionally they say nothing but I don't think it's feminism at play; just entitlement....

3. peeples profile image90
      peeplesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Fiftyish, you must know some horrible women!

4. prettydarkhorse profile image65
    prettydarkhorseposted 5 years ago

I remember when I always carry you in my arms, and now I am holding you in my heart!

1. Leaderofmany profile image59
      Leaderofmanyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I remember when you had to get up to change the TV so your loved one could rest.

fiftyishposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I remember when people didn't need afternoon naps LOL smile

5. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 5 years ago

I remember when kids often drank water from the garden hose instead of from a bottle.

I remember playing in the sprinkler.

I remember bubble gum cigarettes.

I remember Johnny Carson on the Tonight Show.

I remember when cartoons were only shown on Saturday mornings.

I remember walking to the local fishing hole and pulling all my stuff there in a red wagon.

I remember playing cowboys and Indians on real ponies.

I remember summer vacation from school lasting for three whole months.

I remember making forts in the woods.

I remember getting only two TV channels.

Good list habee ;-)

2. joeykool57 profile image60
      joeykool57posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I remember fiercy loving my best male friends as much as I later loved the ladies. Their was nothing sexual about it.. only feeling that things couldn't and wouldn't stay like they were forever. I hated the thought of growing up and growing apart.

3. joeykool57 profile image60

Anybody remember Fizzies. Kinda like sweet Alka Seltzer???

6. fiftyish profile image61

I remember when kids used to exercise more than their fingers!

I remember when you couldn't drag kids in from outdoors because they were having so much fun running around playing outside.

I remember when folks didn't use mobile phones to talk to each other in the same building.

1. frantisek78 profile image84
      frantisek78posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I remember when people actually used their turn signals when driving.

7. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 5 years ago

I remember when we didn't have to shred our paperwork.  I also remember when we had to get up off the couch and walk across the room to change the channels on the TV.  I also remember having to dial the phone.  And party lines.

...And party lines. Oh yeah, i remember when some households had to share a party line too. Oh how times have changed.

8. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

I remember selling Cool aid on the street stand
    I remember playing until dark,with neighbor kids
    I remember no drive up at the McDonalds
    I remember babysitting three kids for 1.00 an hour
    sigh

9. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

I remember chasing fireflies in the dark and catching them to put in glass milk bottles
    I remember bread and milk delivered to your door
    I remember it being so safe that kids went door to door on Halloween and were invited inside so the elderly neighbors could see how big you got during the year, admire your costume, and once in a while have you literally bob for apples.
    I remember getting a good haul of candy, carefully selected from a glass case, for only a dime.
    I remember ice cream cones that were hand scooped and super cheap
    I remember balconies at indoor movies, and velvet curtains opening before the show
    I remember double features with cartoons during intermission
    I remember swinging across a creek from a rope hung on a tree and dropping into the icy water
    I remember coal furnaces (we had a really old house!)
    I remember neighborhoods so safe that one family left their door unlocked on Halloween, with a note telling kids to come and help themselves to full-size chocolate bars  they'd left for us. We automatically reminded each other, "Only one!"
    I remember everyone in town calling you by name because they knew your parents, grandparents, and all the rest of the family
    I remember my family knowing what I did 'in town' before i got home because all those good souls had called my folks to report on me!

10. fiftyish profile image61

I remember when only the kids did early morning newspaper rounds.  Now they have to compete with old age pensioners for these jobs.

I remember when milk was delivered to your door.

I remember when the bakers van would deliver bread, cakes, and biscuits to your door.

I remember when pop (fizzy drinks) where delivered to homes by men in trucks

I remember when postmen use to whistle or sing as they went about their rounds.

I remember when most folks didn't have a fridge

I remember when most folks didn't have a TV

I remember when most families didn't have a car

I remember when most kids didn't have a bicycle

I remember when we used to leave orange squash outside in the winter to make ice lollies

I remember when smoking was 'GOOD' for your health (8 out of 10 doctors preferred Craven A)

I remember when everyone used to know their neighbours

I remember when….

11. eaglecreek profile image61
    eaglecreekposted 5 years ago

I remember when a moonpie was a nickel and hiding in your neighbors bushes was just a $10.00 fine.

good times

12. profile image0

There is nothing worse than an aging rock star.  I remember when Peter Frampton was that cute, skinny blond who danced around the stage with his guitar.  Whaaa happened?  I remember when Sammy Hagar was skinny and performed with skin-tight pants.  He did a lot of jumping and kicking back then.  Now he pours his brand of tequila in Tahoe.

Used to drink water out of the garden hose, and nobody cared.

1. eaglecreek profile image61
      eaglecreekposted 5 years agoin reply to this

We still drink out of the water hose down here

13. Shanna11 profile image91
    Shanna11posted 5 years ago

I remember when internet was dial up.
    I remember when computer mice all had those rolling balls in them.
    I remember when cell phones needed working antennae's.
    I remember writing to Bill Clinton in elementary school because he was the president.
    I remember when Princess Diana died and our entire elementary school somehow had been conned into believing that she'd died in a shark attack.
    I too remember candy cigarettes. I remember my mom banning them too.
    I remember my most favorite treat as a child-- The Wonder Ball.

Oh I am so young compared to all of you oldies! wink

14. profile image0

How funny!  We do the same thing by not buying filters for our indoor kitchen faucet!

15. fiftyish profile image61

I remember when you could buy individual cigarettes

I remember Curly Wurly out chewing everything for £0.3p

Alas, I remember when i could chew my own hair sad

16. eaglecreek profile image61
    eaglecreekposted 5 years ago

I remember when my neighbor used to stick a pipe in his front yard with a water spigot on it just so when people drove by they would think he had running water.

17. profile image61
    puellaposted 5 years ago

I remember the gracious Les Luthiers, and the ungracious tom Jones... But better, I remember to drive around unfrigthened and listening to Mozart;today, cellphones and other craziness keep us longing for telegrams, dialing phones, black-white tv's and.... all of us at dinner time with dad and mom,everyday; I remember when my dad, after a week long of exhausting work, still took us every Sunday, after Mass, to the beach or to the river, and cooked for all of us (six kids, wife, and all in-laws) a nice grilled fish, grilled corn, and grilled green plantain...and the drinks were only coconut water, and dessert was always watermelon and papaya...Most of the times, I only live to remember, then I remember to live, to, again, remember.... Thanks for a touching and beautiful line of thoughts

18. Mighty Mom profile image89
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

I remember when children called adults Mr. and Mrs. or Miss.
    I remember before girls could wear pants to school
    I remember when only a few houses on the block had a color TV
    I remember playing hopscotch or jumprope waiting for the Good Humor man
    I remember Colourforms (and can picture in my nose their smell)

1. profile image61

I remember Mr. Clean’s ads and that of the Pepsodent tooth paste and that of Palmolive Gold (don’t wait to be told, you need palmolive gold!)…
      I remember when people used to ask those inexpert driving around if they got their license in a laundry detergent bx;
      I remember the town fairs and the good care everybody took of kids; I remember the circus once a year, with the spectacular tigers and the magician and the rope walker…We all needed to bring chairs :smile and that was almost more fun than the circus itself: a reason to be teams and sit close to each other…
      I remember my first cookies; mom let me go thru the whole process but…them cookies weren’t cookies, they were hard as iron…
      I remember my First Communion: dressed like a bride and Sister Felisa with me in all photos…How I love her till today; she is now 89 and living in Rome. She met my kids and she cried of happiness; she taught me to write essays when I was 9.
      I remember mom’s best friend, a lady from some part of Europe who made the best apple pie on earth…
      I remember my kids first teacher: it was sort of a teacher and day care but she taught them to read and write and recite and love insects and appreciate nature and wonder around for bees and butterflies…
      I remember my best friend going thru divorce and feeling that the world for her might end, when in fact, she bounced back and all doors opened for her and her prosperity…
      When I hear the song “in my life” I can’t help to cry. How can we, humans, feel the past as gone when all we do today represents all we learned and cherished and were lucky to have and live by…It’s impossible not to feel melancholic, nostalgic, and yes, tearful,…yet it’s so exquisite to remember…

19. profile image0
    Kathryn LJposted 5 years ago

I remember when my brain didn't make executive decisions without my knowledge, and wipe out whole events because it thought they were not important enough. 

Does anyone else have a brain that goes off and steams its' hat whilst someone is giving you important information?

1. profile image61

yep! especially when in a marriage some issues remain unsolved or, at least, not agreed to disagree, and then one of the two slips again on the sensitive matter and starts giving excuses instead of just admitting the lack of awareness and fills the air with the fumes of carelessness...then one does not want to hear it, simply, and just lock oneself to any sound or gesture, irritated more for the fact that we will have to live with that kind of things because divorce is out of question, and so, we just will have to "look the other way... hopelessly, so to speak. Where is the logic of that? A friend used to say that couples remained together really due to the differences and not to the affinities...does that sound logical or reasonable? but apparently it is factual...

1. profile image0
        Kathryn LJposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ouch, very insightful puella, your absolutely right.  Hadn't thought of that but yep that makes a lot of sense.

1. profile image61

ouch? I hope it did'nt OK? just to remember, a remembering advice from a quote "“Love isn't finding a perfect person. It's seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” and this one:“Just remember, the same as a spectacular Vogue magazine, remember that no matter how close you follow the jumps: Continued on page whatever. No matter how careful you are, there's going to be the sense you missed something, the collapsed feeling under your skin that you didn't experience it all. There's that fallen heart feeling that you rushed right through the moments where you should've been paying attention. Well, get used to that feeling. That's how your whole life will feel some day. This is all practice. None of this matters. We're just warming up.”
          malkinson

20. bappyhalder profile image60
    bappyhalderposted 5 years ago

I think that...

21. europewalker profile image81
    europewalkerposted 5 years ago

I remember waiting for the ice cream truck with just a dime in my hand. It was a treat back then!

22. petenali profile image92
    petenaliposted 5 years ago

I remember when George Michael was ogled by only ladies...
    I remember when Frankie Goes to Hollywood was banned on Radio 1...
    I remember when I could buy Shandy Bass at 9 years old...
    I remember when I used to bounce around in the back of the family estate car (seat belt, what seat belt?)...
    I remember when Jimmy Saville could fix anything...
    I remember when I heard that Princess Diana was dead...
    I remember Football Crazy crisps...
    I remember waiting for my copy of Roy of the Rovers each week...
    (sorry, it's a very British list...lol!)

23. Alastar Packer profile image82
    Alastar Packerposted 5 years ago

I remember when the parents took care of everything and protected me from the big bad world.

1. paradigmsearch profile image85
      paradigmsearchposted 5 years agoin reply to this

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1

Awesome thread. I even tweeted it.

24. gracenotes profile image93
    gracenotesposted 5 years ago

I remember penny loafers.  I had a brand called Old Maine Trotters.

I remember we had a little store at our school in sixth grade.  You could buy a pint of milk for a nickel.  Chocolate or vanilla.

I remember thinking that baton twirling was cool.

I remember getting my first driver's license at the age of 14 (in Texas).

I remember Halloween carnivals at school and what a big deal they were.

I remember the morning devotional we heard over the P. A. at school right before first period started.  This was in 1970 -- obviously, that all ceased within a short time.

I also remember our dress code at school, where girls were not allowed to wear pants unless it was 40 degrees or below.

25. Eric Calderwood profile image83
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

I remember when some television stations went off the air late at night.

Oh yeah, i remember that too Eric. In the UK it was called the test card transmission on some stations, and others had this high pitch continuous tone with a little white dot in the middle of the screen.  I think it was to wake those folks up who had fallen asleep in front of the box.

Andy Aitch

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years agoin reply to this

OMG - yes! The test pattern!  Aside from the fact it was on the air for at least 5-6 hours, they were always really ugly, sterile designs!

26. Beth100 profile image85
    Beth100posted 5 years ago

I remember.....

when milk was delivered to our door in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers

when you could buy 10 pieces of candy for a dime

when gas was under $0.30 a gallon (or was that a litre....)

when bread was $0.25 a loaf

when there was a "cent" key on the keyboard (which has now been replaced with the "^")

when typing meant using a manual Underwood

old vinyl records being played in our wood record player/cassette tape/radio cabinet

when TV was only black and white (a good old RCA and, yes, it had bunny ears, manual tuning and you had to get up to change to one of the three channels)

when my dad purchased our first color TV, but it was still a manual channel changer  lol

when all of us neighborhood kids went outside and played from sun up to sun down without ever worrying about being abducted or getting lost.  Parents would call out when dinner was ready... we would have dinner, then rejoin the game without skipping a beat

playing hide and seek with only flashlights in the middle of the night

growing fresh vegetables in our garden

hauling manure and soil in buckets to fill our garden every 2 years  lol

riding my first horse when I was 2

our old '69 Le Sabre Buick -- I loved that car!!  Miss it dearly!!

getting my drivers when I was 14  smile

pop came in glass bottles

my grandfather's coke machine in the store -- you opened the door to the chest cabinet only to find the coke immersed in ice and water which kept it cold

Ah, such great memories!  Especially the one walking to school in a -35 C Canadian winter where the snow banks reached heights of 7'-9' BEFORE the roads were plowed.  We had real snow back then!!

Oh, and I remember when we

brought the Constitution home

converted from Imperial to metric lol 

our first and only female Prime Minister (Kim Campbell)

the colored bar codes and sound when stations went off air at night (usually around 1 am)

...... so much more!!!  lol

We had a produce stand in front of our farm for a few years, and there was a 'pop' machine like you describe.  The bottles hung by their necks along small tracks, and you slid the one you wanted to an opening & pulled it up out of the icy water.  My favorite was Vernor's Ginger Ale - nothing else like it on earth.

1. Beth100 profile image85
        Beth100posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's the exact cooler that he had in his store!!  smile  My favorite was the ginger ale too.  smile  Still is. 

I remember: 

Pixie sticks;

Double bubble gum in little squares that came wrapped up with a comic strip;

Rotary dial phones;

Only one phone line in the house;

North Star running shoes  lol  ;

Drive-in theatres (and hiding friends in the trunk.....);

First computer with a memory of 256 kb  lol  ;

Trouble with Trebles in black and white.... then in color;

Wild Kingdom;

Partridge Family;

The Brady Bunch;

The Six Million Dollar Man;

The Bionic Woman (seriously, I rarely watched TV....)

Hee Haw

Get Smart

Bewitched

Flintstones

Bugs Bunny (the original cartoons)

Tom & Jerry

(no, really, I rarely watched TV.... it was my sister who watched TV)

1. profile image61

yes wink I remember the bionic woman (actress Lyndsay something?); I also remember my parents watching Bonanza wink and The Praire House...

I remember my first semester in college: "the calculus ruler" a hand-held mechanical ruler for all arithmetic computations and to find logarithms, and values for trigonometry stuff; it was the predecessor of the, a lot later, hand calculators that were available smile (for my kids!); I also remember  programming language Fortran wink and RPsomething wink and that we needed to punch a card for every instruction line, and then feed the whole bunch to a card reader which in turn would send the 'program' to run; we would pick our hard copy listing the next day to check results: usually, if we were good at it, we would need three visits to the "IBM" center (the computer processing room was called IBM center and the computer itself would use a good size area of that room and nobody was allowed to enter there but the specialist wink...So a weekly Fortran project would use more than 1/3 of our useful time, in the best of the cases...and profs did not know how to make us handle the abstractions involved in computer science, at that time...we struggled too much unnecessarily..
          I also remember that my physics prof was a french guy who barely spoke anything but french!!! so I learned to like French and even took it as a second language for a whole year; ahhh la vie!
          I rememeber my Modern Math prof: old and the skinniest guy ever, tall, and who got mad when we asked questions that were almost of an obvious answer wink Some students made him mad on purpose, so the class itself got shorter..but then, prof noticed this 'habit' smile and guess what...he decided to give us 5 minutes for questions at the end of the class and/or during break time!!!! clever he was, but the loneliest chap..
          I remember the anatomy lab, where we arrived at on our fourth semester, for those aspiring to be docs,; it was a life changing episode for me: the smell was unbearable, so much, that I left it to throw all of my breakfast right there...sadly, I needed to redirect my purpose in life wink t and I did

27. Kangaroo_Jase profile image81
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago

I remember when....

... The internet wasn't public,

Mobile/cell phones didn't exist.

Kids would ride their bikes on the day after Christmas day.

Pay phones were everywhere.

Football, kangaroos, meat pies and Holden cars were all the rage.

The gas crises of 1979 when petrol in Australia was 1.40 a litre (back then for two weeks)

1980's music was the decade where you either loved or hated the music.

No remotes for TVs

No big screen TVs

No DVD or Blu Ray

100 lollies for $1.00!!!!

Cigarette advertsing was everywhere

Australia winning the Americas Cup!

Lamb roast was nearly every Sunday night

Television programs would finish at 11pm and recommence at 6am

28. bappyhalder profile image60
    bappyhalderposted 5 years ago

holona

29. Eric Calderwood profile image83
    Eric Calderwoodposted 5 years ago

I remember when I had a better memory (I think)

30. lenamariee profile image82
    lenamarieeposted 5 years ago

I remember when my parents were my best friends.

31. Ms Chievous profile image80
    Ms Chievousposted 5 years ago

I remember playing superbreakout on my Atari
    I remember watching Star Trek in color for the first time
    I remember Huckleberry Hound, The Laff Olympics and the Pink Panther
    I remember lite brites, tinker toys and Lincoln logs( yeah they make them now but I bet they are not popular like they were!)
    I remember typing class and my name being on the board all the time for looking at the keyboard
    I remember when phone receivers were connected to the phone by a cord.
    I remember the Rambler, Hornet and Gremlin ( yes my dad had excellent taste in cars tongue )

Are we related? My dad had two Ramblers (maybe three, now that I think about it) and a Gremlin.  He also had an Alfa Romeo Giulio Spyder, so I guess he was redeemable.

2. gracenotes profile image93
      gracenotesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh, yes, Star Trek!

We bought our first color TV for our home in 1966.  It was installed, and that same night, one of the first TV programs we viewed in glorious color was the episode of Star Trek called "Man Trap" (which may have been the pilot episode, I can't remember).

32. fiftyish profile image61

I remember when you smoke on the top floor of a Double Decker bus, and at the back seats of the Single Decker. In fact I remember when you could smoke just about everywhere and anywhere.

Not saying it was right, just that I remember when….

33. The Suburban Poet profile image80
    The Suburban Poetposted 5 years ago

I remember showing my Mom the cover of a Doobie Brothers album entitled, "What Once Were Vices Are Now Habits" and she said, "I'm not sure I like the sound of that..."

34. nina64 profile image81
    nina64posted 5 years ago

I remember when penny candy only costs a penny.

I remember when kids could be kids

I remember when life was so much simpler.

I remember when gas was under $2.00 a gallon!!

35. petenali profile image92
    petenaliposted 5 years ago

I remember The Clangers, Mary Mungo & Midge, Trumpton and Camberwick Green...

36. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 5 years ago

I remember beautiful Richard my dead friend. Saw him in a dream at thirtieth and Mission in SF  last night. He was  riding a scooter handle skateboard, with dark pants, a maroon jacket and bicycle helmet. He was happy and looked great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmDKyRh0rFg

1. joeykool57 profile image60

What do you think he was trying to express to you through that dream?

37. joeykool57 profile image60
    joeykool57posted 5 years ago

I'm only 53 and I remember gassing my minibike at 29.9 cents a gallonj

1. Alastar Packer profile image82
      Alastar Packerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh yeah- thanks for reminding, used to gas the mini-bike too for 29 cents a gallon!

38. fiftyish profile image61

I remember eating lemon curd sandwiches
    I remember eating bread and jam

I remember when you had to ask your parents if it's okay to have a glass of milk, biscuit, or other snack in between meals.

I remember when kids voluntarily went to visit their grandparents. Nowadays, a lot of them have to be dragged round to grandmas house!

I remember listening to radio luxembourg on a tiny transistor radio.

39. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

i remember.....

40. profile image0

Go-Go boots and Nehru Jackets!

41. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 5 years ago

I remember when the Ty-D-Bol man was smaller than the toilet. big_smile

I remember Freddie the Flute

I remember eating moon pies

I remember making mud pies with dirt and little orange-berries. Eating the berries when I was little and then finding out as an adult they were poisonous.

I remember when we thought it was butter but it wasn't , it was Chiffon.

I remember when MTV first came out and HBO was the only cable station. It played "North Dallas Forty" over and over and over again. Yup I remember all of that. smile

I remember being young and thinking, on beautiful sunny summer days, just at the very beginning of summer vacation,, that I would never forget that feeling of freedom. I never ever did forget.

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Oh goodness. I remember Summer vacation and nobody was afraid to play outside until it was dark. I remember laying under the mulberry tree, laying on a blanked and reading a good book. You have great memories too. smile

42. fiftyish profile image61

I remember when I used to dream about being a world famous lead guitarist or singer. Alas, I only ever got to play to small audiences at drunken parties, or a works charity do sad

I remember when the only person who understood me was my sock monkey

Awww - you should do a hub about your sock monkey, Joey!  What a sweet memory.

43. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

I remember when I thought that everyone had a happy family life. Since I did, I couldn't understand why people didn't have more children when I found out there was some choice in the matter.

Ha, ha LOL smile

2. profile image61

I remember :
      •    when the doc told my mom that my sis had anemia and the treatment was a daily orange juice fresh with the raw egg yolk beat in!!! little was said in those days about salmonellas or hepatic health issues; to cure everybody while healthy, my mom adopted the ‘cure’ for everyone; I remember that I swallowed that cure with a squizzed nose and always blaming my sis for that punishment
      •    our fasting Fridays by lean breakfasts, supervegetarian lunchs and black tea and soda crackers for snack-dinner (bedtime was 7pm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      •    my first boyfriend wink twice as nicer than clever… 
      •    reading poetry till midnight instead of getting ready for a test on mineralogy, next morning (high school)
      •    our telephone was black, heavy and robust
      •    as a great thing, our neighbor would treat us with pepsicola
      •     I wore my first prescription glasses at age 14
      •    When dad taught me to swim, at age 4
      •    When mom combed my hair right before catching the school bus
      •    My mom’s beautiful pony tail
      •    For years, every Sunday afternoon, after beach, dad took us and our neighbor’s kids to the only icecreamery in town and we all had the same one: banana split
      •    At home, there were two refrigerators kitchen maid, never ever a microwave…
      •    Once a week, as our favorite,mom would prepare for us three layer sandwiches with only one slice of ham and plenty of lettuce and spinach and one slice of ugly tomatoes and we would eat them watching a movie (real reels and stuff
      •    Never ever eating French fries at home: it was always either boiled potatoes smashed and dressed with olive oil and paprika, or, simply mashed potatoes
      •    Salads on every single meal
      •    There was only one pharmacy in town and the owner did not mind if one knocked at any time for a needed medicine or advice or… the nasty shots as prescribed by the doc
      •    Jumping on our beds, a forbidden sport by mom and dad, I landed on one corner of the metal frame and got a cut shaped as a triangle that required 9 stitches at the hospital…my mom was so mad a t me…
      •    My piano teacher (age 7), Sister Francisca, was mean to me: at any slight or minor mistake with the solfeo, she would hit me in my hands with a looooong ruler; obviously, I quit piano, and till today, I regret it
      •    The happiest guy and the only dentist in town was also the only vet!!! And when checking us  he was always joking, to relax us; then when the drill was used I’d be tense and he would tell me “do not laugh now”
      •    The only priest in town celebrated Mass FOUR times on Sundays!!! And twice daily
      •    Xmas day: good meal with lots of parents friends and their kids; no Xmas tree but a Nativity, no gifts interchange at all, no toys, but all gathered sharing jokes, playing a lot a funny games, singing Xmas songs…On New Year’s Eve, one minute before midnight, all at the table, eating the twelve grapes, as the tradition had it, and champaigne toast among adults, us kids, apple cider and one million hugs from everybody to every body…
      •    And there is more wink

44. fiftyish profile image61

I probably shouldn't say this, but here goes anyway   - I remember when it was normal for the majority of kids to know their father - whoops!

And I remember when you didn't have to feel you had to qualify a statement that is as right today as it was then. God forbid we speak the truth.

2. Melindas Mind profile image78
      Melindas Mindposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I wish I remembered that time.

45. Melindas Mind profile image78
    Melindas Mindposted 5 years ago

I remember when the cookie monster ate cookies unashamedly.

I remember when you had to go somewhere else to play a video game.

I remember walking home from school in kindergarten by myself, all six blocks - I also remember getting beat up by some mean middle schoolers.

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How sad Melinda nobody should ever endure that torment or pain.sad

1. Melindas Mind profile image78

Eh. On a scale of one to ten that's not the worst thing that happened that year - that's also the year my parents got divorced. That said, in the case of the mean middle schoolers they were chased off my nice middle schoolers who walked me to school after that.

46. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 5 years ago

I remember having to take fish oil tongue
    - weekend cartoons
    - biking from suburbs to a farm, climb the trees for pears,
    - climb trees for crab apples
    - sliding down huge hills
    - stocking hats
    - skateboarding
    - patio pool parties
    - summer camps

Dame Scribe, i remember when most of us hadn't even heard the term 'Childhood Obesity', and your 'remember when list' above is the simple explanation why!

47. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image95
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 5 years ago

I remeber falling out of the big buckeye tree in our yard in Ohio
    Ice skating on our own pond - if it was night, we put a lantern in the middle and skated in the dark
    Winters so cold that one-upsmanship at school the next day hinged on how many blankets and quilts you needed the night before
    Huge mosquito swarms in the summer - and frequent pesky ones flying around your head in bed at night
    Those big metal balls on pedestals that were popular yard ornaments for years - your reflection was upside down, I think
    An ancient calliope organ at the Ohio State Fair, with rotating characters and drums and cymbals beating time to the music
    Rag rugs made by my grandmother (who never wasted anything)
    The little clot of cream at the top of the glass milk jug
    When one fried chicken fed our whole family (because we had balanced meals, and nobody over ate)
    Giveaways for opening bank accounts or filling your car
    Green stamps
    Getting a free towel (a cheap, thin one) in a box of detergent
    Wax lips
    Wax coke bottles filled with syrup
    Tiny toy Evenflo baby bottles for dolls
    Flash bulbs that got gunk on them when they went off

48. fiftyish profile image61

I remember when I couldn't see my face for acne sad

I remember when I was attractive to girls

I remember how miserable both my grandfathers were

I remember how lovely both my grandmothers were

I remember my parents saying NO more than they said YES

I remember being the fastest runner in the whole school

I remember the day I could no longer run (motorcycle accident)

I remember how the summer used to go on forever

Ahh, I remember when …..

1. Melindas Mind profile image78

Summer still goes on forever. But I'm speaking from the point of view of someone with several children who will spend all of the summer fighting.

I keep threatening to lock them in a room and keep the one who survives, but they don't believe me.

49. larakern profile image72
    larakernposted 5 years ago

I remember when Mr. Potato Head was the coolest thing ever.. Along with the amazing Slinky!
    I remember when Tails always got in Sonic's way and I had to restart.

50. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

..when Jeff's (on "Lassie") grandfather died, and the family moved out; while Timmy's family moved in.

..when "The New Darren" replaced "The Old Darren"

..when Barbie didn't have "bendy" knees at all, and when Jill and Ginny got "bendy" knees that involved "hinge looking" knees on the dolls

..when Ginny dolls' lashes went from being painted on to being new, "glass eyelashes"

..when underwear ads couldn't involve underwear being showed on actual human being

..when my mother hand me a mysterious note (with one word, beginning with "K" on it) to hand the teenager who worked at the drug store, so he could hand me a mysterious box in a brown wrapped, and I could bring the secret package back to my mother.  (It cost fifty cents at the time.  I once dared to unfold the tiny note, saw what the word was, and still didn't have a clue.)  lol

...when McDonalds french fries were a dime, a hamburger was dime, a cheeseburger was fifteen cents, and eventually a Big Mac would be thirty-five cents.

..when cigarettes were 26 cents for short ones, 27 cents for regular sized ones, and hundred were 28 cents (I worked in a grocery store, so I knew these things).

..when butterfly chokes in carburetors sometimes got stuck (but you could punch them in with a screwdriver)

..when dashboards and steering wheels were metal or other uncushioned stuff

..when babies and toddlers rode in car seats that hooked over the top of the front seat (and had a steering wheel and horn so the baby could "drive")

..when mothers left their babies in carriages outside city stores (with or without an older sibling) while the mother went into the store to shop

..when "Minipoo" "dry shampoo" came out ("when you can't shampoo, Minipoo")

..when there was a network of wires over city streets, so that "trackless trollies" could run

I remember sonic booms

I also remember thinking those round burning smudge pots at construction sights were bombs

working