What do you do to keep your kids from being brats?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (23 posts)
  1. mommyneal6 profile image71
    mommyneal6posted 12 years ago

What do you do to keep your kids from being brats?

2. Shahid Bukhari profile image59
    Shahid Bukhariposted 12 years ago

If you mean, from being nasty ...

You have to know ... "your kids are your reflection."

Improve yourself ... and your kids, will follow you.

3. profile image0
    Suramya.Kposted 12 years ago

Scolding them in public is one thing we should avoid. Explain them that you do hard work to get them ready, cook for them, teach them and in return what they are giving... If they're really young to understand this, then don't take stress, they will eventually learn.

4. rwelton profile image61
    rweltonposted 12 years ago

Duct tape
    Bribery
    Threats
    Begging
    or last resort...be a good example
    Monkey see.....
    rlw

5. mcrawford76 profile image89
    mcrawford76posted 12 years ago

I once proposed a punishment that my children would be grounded from eachother (no talking, no touching, no playing,no hugging, no kissing) if they could not treat eachother well. They only made it about an hour before they broke down crying. Just the idea of having no further contact with thier siblings was a scary thought.

I can't stay that it improved their behavior long term, but they were awful nice to eachother for about a week.

6. SteveMacken profile image60
    SteveMackenposted 12 years ago

Your question implies that your kids ARE brats...

Children aren't brats, they are the sum of their experiences and if their experiences aren't positive you cannot expect positive experiences from them.

Try to look at how you deal with issues that crop up, do you behave in an aggressive way towards them, either actively or passively?

Try to show your children some respect and talk to them about their feelings and what it is that is bothering them. Tell them why their behaviour is unacceptable, explain in simple terms, suitable to their age, what it is that is expected of them and what is not.

Bottom line, stop calling them brats and start treating them like intelligent human beings that need your guidance, love and support.

7. profile image0
    huberproposted 12 years ago

Children love to defy the bans. They test the adult at all times by their actions but also by their words. If the adult does not respond, the transgression is taken for granted. If the parent puts the kibosh without delay, the child will no longer have the temptation again. This theory holds for all children must be balanced, however. The "big words" are sometimes acceptable  but their use must be properly lined to avoid getting hurt! That's the difficulty!

Dialogue rather than punishment:

If punishment is easy, it generally does not change the problem! Indeed, the child understands that it's wrong, but he does not know why. In explaining the real meaning of these words and what they induce the appearance injuring the child better understand the scope of his rudeness. The main thing is, before punishing, search where are those big words come from. If they come from school, it is important to indicate to the child that these words should not be said to adults. If they come from the house, the least we can do is to lead by example.

8. SubRon7 profile image61
    SubRon7posted 12 years ago

Being single, as if I could possibly know how to raise a child, but, I would say, just be there for them no matter what, listen to what they say and comment, hug them at "least" once per day (but more is better), if they ask a question try to answer but don't adlib (at least not much), encourage them to do what they want in life...I could go on and on. But, right, I don't have a child, but I've had a whole bunch of nieces and nephews.
    Just remembered, this question was about preventing brathood, but I think treating them as human beings all through their life, then "most" won't become a brat.

9. cmcconna profile image60
    cmcconnaposted 12 years ago

Consistency is the key to maintaining their good behavior.  You have to stick with the rules that you establish.

10. days leaper profile image60
    days leaperposted 12 years ago

Listen, not just shout!  If your child doesn't want to see some-one you like when they visit.  Ask Why, if there's no response don't push for one or expect the worst if it looks like they don't know.  You would only alienate them this way and when they no longer feel they can trust your protection -even on your own desire/s -to know above all else- then you start to lose them.  Always give quiet time for opportunities to speak, rather than "shut Up I'm watching / doing this", which says this thing though it may be trivial like telly is still more important than you.  Better at this point to pack them off to God Parents or social services as one or the other will be more use to them!!!

11. TheSenior profile image61
    TheSeniorposted 12 years ago

Not having any kids of my own - it's still an easy question.  My parents/aunts/uncles made sure all of us were brought up with equal amounts of Love and Discipline.  We were spanked when we didn't do what they told us to do.  None of us were ever abused.

As we grew older, and advanced - the spanking stopped and once in awhile we got the backhand.  We were allowed to voice our opinion and long as we did what was expected of us.

There were definite parameters And we knew what they were - and they were strictly inforced.  One of the keys is don't give in to any of your childs demands - they have no authority.  If we would have acted out in the store - we knew what was going to happen - we were also given a little freedom as we could handle it and as we adhered to the family/societial norms.

12. GracieLake profile image65
    GracieLakeposted 12 years ago

Their actions should result in a response from you. That response should be to show them that they are in charge of their own behavior (as long as this is not a pre-verbal infant, of course), and that you can't help but respond accordingly. You show them you're there to help them learn how to make choices that give them the outcome they want. In this way, you teach them to be successful - and responsible.

This is hard. You want to take care of them, and fix their problems. But they need to understand the power they have to make decisions to work within your parameters.

And if they fail to maintain within those parameters, then there needs to be consequences.

This is harder on the parents than the kids, but you will be teaching them and preparing them for the real world.

13. Miss Info profile image68
    Miss Infoposted 12 years ago

There is a thin line between spanking and abuse. To some adults a slap or two ever so often is acceptable.

However, many times parents forget that swift physical contact coupled with rage can actually be much more violent and painful than intended.

I would suggest calming down and clearing your head before punishing your children.

14. carlmueller profile image41
    carlmuellerposted 12 years ago

Well for starters I don't refer to them as brats. I always remember that I was their age once too and had my moments. I think if you remember that they are kids but treat them fairly they usually get the message that when they're bad, it won't be tolerated.

And stay away from counting to five or whatever number people use. I can't stand that one. Even the timeouts are lame. My 4 year old puts herself in timeouts and tries to put me in timeouts so even she doesn't take those seriously.

15. profile image53
    beckysewardposted 12 years ago

You can’t stop a child from exhibiting bratty behavior at times.  It’s their job to push mom & dads buttons as much as possible.  It’s how we respond to those behaviors that mold the long term attitudes. 
    Consistency, consistency, consistency is the key.  I’ve raised 2 kids and am now raising my grandson.  I can see a huge difference in the parenting styles I have had.  My 1st go round my kids never knew if they were going to get away with it or be punished for it when they acted up. 
    I have much better control over my 2nd go round when I consistently provide a calm but firm punishment for the behavior.  The child knows what to expect and will try something else if a particular behavior always produces the same unpleasant result. 
    The extremely difficult part is staying calm, firm and consistent.  I find I must often tell myself, “you already told him to stop….or it’s the notty chair now follow through already!”
    Your word has to have meaning or you’ll end up with teens /pre-teens that are uncontrollable. 
    The parent must strive to always be “bigger, stronger and wiser” than the child

16. LacretiaHardy profile image61
    LacretiaHardyposted 12 years ago

I make sure that my kids know the rules and I remain consistent.  If they don't follow the rules, there are consequences... every single time.  I start this when they are toddlers, so that they know Mom means business.  The older they get, the more lectures get added in, so they can understand why the rules are in place.  Don't get me wrong.. I'm not all business.  I love on my kids all the time.  They know for sure that I love them and I show them affection every single day.  I want them to be pleasant, productive citizens though, so I have to take my job as parent seriously.

17. profile image56
    consentinoposted 12 years ago

Consistency,  you have to be consistent with whatever you do.  If  you tell your child no, you need to stick to it, otherwise don't say it.  You are the parent and the child is the child.  Time out is great, it sometime takes a couple of weeks for the kids to understand, but, they will get it.

petsareagift.com

18. whoisbid profile image61
    whoisbidposted 12 years ago

A lot of kids become brats because of the behavior of their parents and their teachers. Kids don't like it when they see hypocrisy. The more hypocrisy they see, the more they will want to mimic such behavior. Kids must be brought up in a loving environment with firm parents who teach them life skills.

19. suffilover profile image59
    suffiloverposted 12 years ago

Children aren't brats, they are the sum of their experiences and if their experiences aren't positive you cannot expect positive experiences from them.

Stevemacken said it all.

20. huba90 profile image60
    huba90posted 12 years ago

Well i never had child before,but i think Shahid Bukhari answered your question,and also all the pranks that your childs do,will be beautiful memories.
    Sooner or later they will appreciate all you did for them ..

21. profile image50
    leggarnaposted 12 years ago

My partner and myself don't have children but I think people need to get over this whole business of not smacking their kids. I do agree there is not need to beat the living day lights out of them but a good firm smack on the backside as a child hasn't done me any harm. I am a respectful, hardworking honest individual. I don't see a problem with a bit of physical disipline.

22. supplies expert profile image62
    supplies expertposted 12 years ago

I think it is inevitable for children to be brats at some point, whether it be from other kids or from tv... I would say as hard as it is just explain to the children that they can't act like that, it's not right. The biggest reason I think children are brats is because people give them too much decision making power too young. they always think they're right and they want it their way, if people stop being pushovers and giving in to every wish and command of their children I think there will be a lot less brats

23. Cutters profile image61
    Cuttersposted 12 years ago

Well I wont be using any hot sauce any time soon. That is a fact. If they get to the point where they are being bad then it is  corner time out,  However old the child is is how many min he or she sits there.  Once the time is up they are free to go. If they continue to be a brat as you call it then they go back to the time out corner,  This has worked most of the time. When things are really bad we get nanna involved and that solves the rest of our issues.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)