jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

How does your clothing define you as a parent?

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image95
    ThePracticalMommyposted 6 years ago

How does your clothing define you as a parent?

'Clothes makes the man', right? How does your wardrobe show that you are a parent? Is there a certain style you lean towards now that your a parent? Or, do your clothes say something different altogether?

2. Tricia Ward profile image81
    Tricia Wardposted 6 years ago

Relaxed and casual - take me as you find me. Comfy being me. "Good clothes" would be wasted on every day use

3. teaches12345 profile image94
    teaches12345posted 6 years ago

Around the home, it's t-shirts and shorts or jeans.  I have always dressed this way from the start of parenting.  However, going out I try to dress a little more appropriate such as casual business (or formal as needed).  More for keeping myself focused on feeling good about myself and being a role model as a parent.  Plus, my husband and children appreciate my efforts to dress up a little when going out.  It makes it all more special. Good question.

4. Lisa HW profile image75
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I don't really think my clothing has ever defined me as a parent.  I think my clothing more reflects who/what I am as a "person who also happens to be a woman" (whether or not I've been a parent at any given time).

What I've always hoped I would be "as a parent" has been to be a good role model as that "person who also happens to be a woman".  I've hoped I've been able to be a good example as a person and a woman for my sons and my daughter.

I figure, clothes show little about how strong, caring, smart, giving or capable a person/parent is; so, to me, the "external thing" of what we wear is more about showing whether we're people who aim to dress in a way that makes us look our best and/or positively reflects on whatever sex we are.

So, I suppose, my clothing defines the kind of parent I am by reflecting a person who aims to dress appropriately for the occasion and dress in way that is most flattering to me, as both a person and a parent.  In other words, I guess it shows I'm a parent who hopes her kids will see that it's good to aim to look our best (because we feel better when we do), and dress in a way that's right for us - not that's "the height of fashion" or "the latest thing" that "everyone is wearing".  Equally important, I've always hoped my kids would see that a "person who happens to also be woman" can be what she is "on the inside" and yet still be feminine on the outside.  Why do I want them to know that?  Because I'd like to think I've raised some next-generation grown-ups who won't look at women who are feminine-appearing/sounding "on the outside" and assume they can't possibly be strong or smart or logical.   hmm

5. profile image0
    AlienWednesdayposted 6 years ago

The only thing I care about is if my clothes are clean.

6. profile image55
    consentinoposted 6 years ago

I think my children are proud to walk with me and compliment my clothing all the time.  Matter of fact, one of my daughter's can fit in my clothes, so she borrows them.

7. donnaisabella profile image78
    donnaisabellaposted 6 years ago

Seriously, I have never given it much thought. As a working mom, I was either in my formal work gear or relaxing in shorts and tops at home during the weekend. As a new stay at home mom, I dress a lot differently because I spend most of my time around the house. My wardrobe for now is mixture of everything. I am more comfortable in pants, shorts and tshirts or short sleeved tops. With a baby, I want to wear things that give me freedom to nurse and get dirty.

8. jpcmc profile image89
    jpcmcposted 6 years ago

Cautious!  I no longer use cothes with lots of metal or anthing that can scratch  or injure my child.  When I carry my baby, I often check what I'm wearing for any thing from zippers to chipped buttons.

9. Shawna Van Trease profile image58
    Shawna Van Treaseposted 6 years ago

I've never been an adventurous dresser, but I think I've gotten even more boring since becoming a mother. I'm way more focused on comfort and feeble attempts at disguising the last bit of baby weight that I fear I will never ever ever get rid of. The first time my little one saw me dressed up she said, "Mama look funny." That said it all.

10. hobbynob profile image80
    hobbynobposted 6 years ago

Clothing doesn't define you, period. You define you. As long as you're clean and take care of yourself mentally, physically and spiritually, why would it matter to a child what you are wearing? I think that the way you dress does send a message to the child, though, of what your values are. If you dress comfortably and are ready to roll around on the grass or get down and dirty with them any time, that sends a message. If you are always primping and spend a lot of money on your clothes, that sends another message. It's not what we wear but the order of priorities that matters.

11. YvetteParker profile image74
    YvetteParkerposted 6 years ago

Fortunately my clothing do not define me as a parent or who I am in any of my roles. My father taught my siblings and me as young children when we were desirous of clothing that the other children we wearing at school that clothes do not define who we are; in other words, clothes don't make us - we make clothes. I think so often people do get it twisted and get caught up in having to always wear designers and name brands. My style of dressing has pretty much reflected my personality: no fuss (comfortable), classy, and cool. For that reason, I do not have to tweak my wardrobe when my roles change.