What's you first drink in the morning? Tea, coffee, juice or maybe something el

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (69 posts)
  1. petenali profile image79
    petenaliposted 11 years ago

What's you first drink in the morning?  Tea, coffee, juice or maybe something else?  And why?

I am a huge tea drinker (English upbringing) but my first drink of the day is always a coffee.  I think it's just habit as it is quick and easy using my Keurig one-cup coffee maker.  How about you?

2. Just Ask Susan profile image89
    Just Ask Susanposted 11 years ago

Coffee has been my first drink of choice for as long as I can remember. If I don't have it I will end up with a headache. During the day and in the evening I'll drink tea.

petenaliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm actually one of those people who CAN drink coffee late at night and still sleep.  My wife is the exact opposite.  I tell her I have a clear conscience...

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
      DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I drink tea--brewed strong--no less caffeine than coffee--all day and evening.  That is not a problem with sleeping.  But I dare not take a codeine cough med at night--I'll toss & turn all night!  Opposite of most folks.

3. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 11 years ago

I know I am the unusual one. In the winter it is a cup of coffee. In the summer, I have to start off my day with a Mountain dew.

Whatever turns your crank!  Not sure I could face all that fizz right away, but it obviously works for you...

4. hawaiianodysseus profile image69
    hawaiianodysseusposted 11 years ago

I drink two things in immediate succession, so I'll lump them together.

I drink water because I've been told it's good for the heart first thing in the morning.

I drink coffee because I've been told it's bad for the heart first thing in the morning.

Why do I drink both?

Because I like the freedom to decide for myself.

You can never go wrong drinking water, but I love the whole "freedom of choice" thing.  Life in a nutshell right there...

5. KellyG05030 profile image69
    KellyG05030posted 11 years ago

I am a coffee fiend... I drink coffee from the time I wake up until I go to bed at night.  I've never had any issues not being able to sleep after drinking coffee.  I absolutely love the taste of it and sometimes drink 4-5 cups a day.  Thank God for my Keurig!  : )

Indeed, the Keurig is one of the best inventions ever!

6. lburmaster profile image73
    lburmasterposted 11 years ago

Water, to remain hydrated. Then some coffee to wake me up or tea to keep a relaxed state.

Nice combination.

7. duffsmom profile image59
    duffsmomposted 11 years ago

I'm not a coffee drinker so my first drink of the day is Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper, right after my peanut butter toast.

Wow, you're the second person that said they drink a pop first thing.  Perhaps I'm missing out here...

8. Claudia Tello profile image68
    Claudia Telloposted 11 years ago

Mine is coffee, which I find particularly comforting in cold mornings. However, I only like to drink one cup, and don't continue drinking it throughout the whole day like some people do. My last and second cup will be after lunch.

Everybody is different when it comes t coffee, but it's good to recognize how your own body reacts to it.

9. Brinafr3sh profile image76
    Brinafr3shposted 11 years ago

I drink 8 ounces of water every morning before eating any foods, it works for me because I sometimes exercise in the mornings. The mornings that I skip on drinking water I might drink a tea or coffee instead; occasionally.

You sound very disciplined... Good for you!  Some people exercise and think they are doing well but don't watch what they eat or drink as well...

10. liesl5858 profile image82
    liesl5858posted 11 years ago

My first drink in the morning is a weak cup of coffee with half a teaspoon of  sugar because I believe it wakes me up as I am not a morning person. I mean it takes time for me to get up to go to work.

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to get going in the morning...

11. cutievert profile image59
    cutievertposted 11 years ago

I like coffee but I don't drink it everyday. I'll have my coffee when i feel badly need it. My first drink in the morning is milk or tea.

You are he first to say you drink milk in the morning.  I like cold milk at times but not first thing in the morning..

12. Mitch Alan profile image80
    Mitch Alanposted 11 years ago

I drink a smoothie made from spinach/kale, banana, frozen strawberries & blueberries, almonds, flax seeds and chia seeds. I use a NutriBullet to liquify everything into a delicious smoothie. I never miss a day. Then coffee and water the rest of the day.

That is awesome that you would take time to prepare that smoothie. Way to go!

2. Mitch Alan profile image80
      Mitch Alanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It literally only takes 5 minutes or less...well worth it. I highly recommend the nutribullet.

13. Sparklea profile image60
    Sparkleaposted 11 years ago

COFFEE, COFFEE, COFFEE!
    I did not start to drink coffee until I was in my 30's.  My kids were young, and I had NO time to pursue my writing dreams because I also worked a full-time job.

So...I decided the only way I could MAKE time to write was to get up at 4:30 a.m. ahead of everyone else.  Which I did.  BUT I was SO tired, I started perking coffee in a corningware coffeemaker I had held onto from a marriage to my first husband.
    I would guzzle it down while typing writing submissions at our dining room table. 

It felt SO GOOD to get that almost immediate energy with the very first sip.  I used to use sugar and milk, but now it is just milk.

To this day I HAVE to have my coffee.  I now take it in a thermos cup on my daily morning walk.  To be in the fresh air among nature, and to take that first sip is a wonderful way to start the day. 

I am definitely a morning person and I cherish my coffee!  Blessings, Sparklea smile

Wow, now that's some serious commitment... 4.30am! Wow again..

LOL--my philosophy is, if it's dark when you get up, it's still yesterday!  ;-)

14. Markie W profile image60
    Markie Wposted 11 years ago

Water, because it's important to clean out your system first thing in the morning to better absorb whatever it is you're going to consume (vegetables, vitamins). After that I love to drink tea. My favorite is peppermint tea because it keeps my stomach soothed.

Like I said, I love tea, but I am traditional about it.  I don't like the flavoured teas, but that is just me..

15. Iammattdoran profile image91
    Iammattdoranposted 11 years ago

As an Englishman I'm also a big tea drinker (milk and 1 sugar). But I've developed a taste for good coffee over the last 12 months. I can't bear instant stuff but I like a good coffee now. I don't want to become one of those people who 'need' coffee though in order to start their day. That doesn't sound good to me.

Greetings fellow countryman!  Agreed about us not becoming reliant on the stuff.  We can't let eating or drinking control us.  As for tea, no sugar for me!

16. Lisa Wilton profile image79
    Lisa Wiltonposted 11 years ago

It depends on what I'm eating... If I am having a sweet breakfast (croissants, pancakes, brioche, jam etc) I will have coffee but with anything else I'll have tea. I'm not sure if that is odd but I've always been that way. smile

Not odd at all - there is no "right" answer to this.  However, I am now craving pancakes after reading your answer... thanks a lot!

2. Lisa Wilton profile image79
      Lisa Wiltonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hehe! I'm starting to think about them now too... Yum!

17. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Most of the time I swill down tea like it's going out of style.  I mostly drink iced tea during the day, and hot tea on cold mornings.  During the summer, I can go through 2 quarts of iced tea in a day. 
    Whether hot or iced, I like my tea black and strong; no additives, please!  And I do not care at all for herb teas or green tea.

Weekends, I make myself coffee-mochas.  As I'm not much of a coffee drinker, and prefer sweet things, for me, a mocha is more like hot chocolate with coffee in it.   ;-)

Tea straight up is cool, but I like a dash of milk just to take the edge of it.

Oh, I do NOT like milk in my tea; in fact, years ago, I read that drinking tea British style, with milk & sugar, you are drinking the chemical components equal to leather.  :-(  Yuk

18. UndercoverAgent19 profile image72
    UndercoverAgent19posted 11 years ago

I either drink water to get myself hydrated and ready for the day, or I drink pop or soda, as some call it) for the caffeine boost and because I am absolutely in love with the stuff. Occasionally I'll drink tea, but I tend to drink a nice cup of it in the evening.

It seems there are more people drinking pop in the morning than I ever realized.

19. LoisRyan13903 profile image59
    LoisRyan13903posted 11 years ago

It is either a coffee unless I am the one to make it.  While I am waiting I either have water or a soda.  If there is left over coffee in the pot I will drink it cold.

Yuk, cold coffee!  Sorry but that's just gross.

My mom used to fix coffee in the a.m., and sip on it all day long as it got colder and colder.  Bleccchhh...

3. Iammattdoran profile image91
      Iammattdoranposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't really drink it cold from the pot but a sweetened iced coffee is delicious on a hot day

20. brianrock profile image83
    brianrockposted 11 years ago

I'm a coffee fiend, but the first thing I typically drink in the morning is some water. I wake up, grab a glass of ice water out of the fridge, and then go about getting ready for the day.

After that, if it's a work day I head to Dunkin Donuts for an extra large coffee. If it's not a work day, then I brew a cup in my Keurig. Either way, coffee is necessary. smile

Another Keurig user eh?  They are certainly very handy.

21. lone77star profile image71
    lone77starposted 11 years ago

Water!

Cleansing the body of half a century of abuse (including far too much coffee).

Lol!  Good for you!

22. Anna Haven profile image68
    Anna Havenposted 11 years ago

Tea with soya milk and unrefined sugar (tastes much nicer than it sounds!) first thing, then lovely coffee later in the day. I drink water throughout the day in the interests of stopping wrinkles from forming  smile

I've never tried soya milk, so can't comment on its taste.  Good for you with the water - I try to drink plenty throughout the day too along with my copious cups of tea!  Only issue is not to be too far from a bathroom!

2. Anna Haven profile image68
      Anna Havenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I drink unsweetened Alpro Light and it is really nice, it taste quite sweet and the perfect compliment to your english cuppa!  It is apparently a much healthier alternative to cows milk as well. Think of  all the exercise sprinting for the toilet smile

23. Globetrekkermel profile image64
    Globetrekkermelposted 11 years ago

Definitely coffee with soymilk...Peet's grind as the beans are cooked in house.I used to be a starbucks fan but I have boycotted them due to unfair labor practices for their coffee growers. They pay 1-2 dollars for their south american coffee growers and they sell my small chai tea latter for $ 3 a cup. THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!

Another soymilk user - maybe I need to look into this.

24. Eric Calderwood profile image76
    Eric Calderwoodposted 11 years ago

The first thing I drink in the morning is water.  I mostly drink water anyway, for health reasons.

That's excellent. I also try to drink plenty of water during the day, just not my first drink.

25. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 11 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7783483_f260.jpg

I am of the CFC (coffee fiend clan); however, although it was a Keurig Italian or the more elusive Columbian (I could always discover decaf yet the caf. version was quite elusive); since Christmas it is has been a Verismo expresso (4-shot) and a once a week, Starbucks "Gringo" more commonly identified as a Americano. Although I must admit because of all the pills I pop (vitamins) I do indeed down a glass of distilled water on the rocks before the cafeine is devoured... I seldom drink coffee after the mourn. Once in awhile I sip one in the early eve after dinner either by the fireplace or in our backyard.
    My mother was; and my better-half is of the TFC...
    The picture is of one of my brats advertising for Starbucks for free; they should hire her...

Sounds like you have it all figured out...

26. profile image0
    khmohsinposted 11 years ago

I starts my day by drinking 1 glass of water. It helps to clean everything inside.

Good for you. I drink water during the day but not my first drink.

27. howtobeasuccess profile image67
    howtobeasuccessposted 11 years ago

I drink coffer every morning.. i just simply love the taste of coffee while i read emails and check my status and other stuff on Facebook and HP.

Me too. Coffee first then it's on to the tea.

28. lorddraven2000 profile image92
    lorddraven2000posted 11 years ago

I usually ahve a nice glass of tea in the mornings. Sadly most the time I am in such a hurry that I have to settle for a soda.

It's gotta be worth setting an alarm 10 minutes earlier to stop, drink your tea and smell the roses...?

29. Argonaut Jess profile image66
    Argonaut Jessposted 11 years ago

Physically cannot function without my morning brew of tea!!

Lol! That's like me with my first coffee... don't talk to me until after the first sip!

30. WhatToCook profile image73
    WhatToCookposted 11 years ago

Herb tea. normally a lemon flavored one.

Another "different" tea drinker I see.  I'm really gonna have to look into this now!

31. Kjelinni profile image57
    Kjelinniposted 11 years ago

I drink a glass of cold water immediately after waking up and one hour later on the breakfast I drink green tea or coffee with cream

Hmm, never got into the whole "green tea" thing.  I think maybe I'm missing out on something here...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)