Political Correctness (PC). Where will it end?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (39 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image65
    aka-djposted 15 years ago

PC. Is it good, bad or somewhere in between? How far can PC go before it becomes ridiculous? When does it become offensive and unworkable? Examples are encouraged.
    Have we lost touch with (what once was called) common sense?

2. allshookup profile image60
    allshookupposted 15 years ago

It seems to me that common sense is flying out the window, lately especially. I am anything but PC and I'm too old to change, nor do I want to. Although there are many on here who are good at it. I was brought up to call something what it is. It seems PCness is to the point of being afraid to call a spade a spade. Everyone is afraid to hurt feelings and at that point, nothing is wrong and everything is accepted. That is wrong. Wrong is wrong no matter who does it. Just because some star drinks and drives, does that make it ok? They get an easier sentence that the rest of us would, but wrong is still wrong no matter how much or how little money or influence you have. It also seems like if you do have money or power, whatever you do is ok and you had better not speak out against them. Again, that is wrong. PCness is making it to where people have forgotten what is right or wrong. PC to me is stupid and wrong.

Apparently I am not a white woman, I am a caucasion female. To me, that's stupid. Why is it wrong to call me a white woman since that's what I am? There's you an example that's stupid to me.

aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that. I agree with you.
      The problem I see that you (we) are facing is, the (ever shifting) line of what is deemed "right" and "wrong"! If this standard continues to erode, there is no bottom as to how far down this (PC) can go. hmm

3. kerryg profile image83
    kerrygposted 15 years ago

I think PC is valuable to the extent that it encourages respect for people, especially people who are "different" in some way or who have been historically disrespected. Even (most) people who brag of being "un-PC" wouldn't dream of calling a black man a "boy" anymore and that is 100% a good thing.

I do think it's taken too far sometimes, to the point that it becomes confusing, like the "Native American" vs. "American Indian" debate (most Indians I've known prefer the latter term even though it's supposedly insulting or something, and sometimes damn confusing when you're actually talking about Indian Americans or Indians-from-India), or even outright ridiculous. "Disabled" is clearly better than "retarded" or even "crippled," for example, but "differently-abled" is kind of absurd, imho. EVERYBODY is differently-abled one way or another.

Basically, I think it boils down to the Golden Rule. Treat someone as you would wish to be treated, including the way you talk about them. You need to respect your fellow human beings, including the way you talk about them, but you don't need to put them on a pedestal.

aka-djposted 15 years agoin reply to this

This is also spot on!
      Some things that PC is achieving is positive, no argument. I just wonder what borders/oversteps "ridiculous", and who would determine that threshold?

2. countrywomen profile image58
      countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Kerry- If I may ask which part/city of US did you primarily grow up in? I find your thoughts are very cosmopolitan in nature and will help in the long run to better understand each other. You have a very sensitive, tolerant and open minded attitude. Glad that I read your comments and I like that Golden Rule.

4. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

I have yet to hear of someone being corrected or reprimanded for saying they are a white woman. Have you really heard that, allshookup, or are you simply imagining it's possible?

I suppose I'm not understanding what political correctness means. aka-dj could you share what you meant?

I generally agree with kerryg's application of the golden rule. If someone simply doesn't know better and says something that most people would consider offensive, they can be politely corrected. If they say they're going to use a term no matter if everyone else thinks it's offensive, just because they're too obstinate to change, then well they're not being not-PC, they're being rude.

5. allshookup profile image60

I was trashed on a hub for calling Obama a black man because they said he isn't black, he is African-American. That is what I mean. I wasn't going to bring that up, so I just gave an example. But since you asked me directly, this is what I mean. I was called racist for it. I meant nothing bad by it whatsoever. Obama called himself a black man, but I was told that he is Afrian-American. I don't what's wrong with calling him what he says he is. Even people from other countries got onto me for calling him that. That he is Amercian, not black. Well, if you ask me my race, I say I'm white. I don't see anything negative about saying someone is black or someone is white. I don't see anything that is derogatory about it.

1. livelonger profile image86
      livelongerposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree, and so would many black people. Some might prefer the term African-American. As long as people speak for their own preference when talking about themselves, it shouldn't matter. When talking about a 3rd person, like Obama, black and African-American are equally as acceptable. (I certainly don't see him complaining about either term, and he's been called both!)

BTW I have known literally hundreds of black/African-American people and not *one* has gotten so much as slightly miffed at me when I used the term they didn't prefer. They have either politely corrected me, or just blown it off and not cared.

6. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Personally I like postman not postperson. Postman is a strong sound. Postperson is a weak sound. I will use the former. However depending on the situation, I would sometimes use the latter, if the person I am conversing with might prefer that.
    However good manners would dictate that one should use what the other would prefer, just to be polite.

7. allshookup profile image60

The people who corrected me were white. Goes to figure I guess. It's just crap like that, that it seems nowdays people look for to try to start trouble. I don't go around trying to be impolite. I never have. But, it's times like that when I got trashed for nothing that makes me hate all of those PC things that people do now days. They don't want to hurt feelings, so they let things slide that are wrong. That is wrong no matter how you cut it. Then get onto me when I have done nothing wrong. Where's the common sense in that?

8. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 15 years ago

I get the strong sense that the injustice you're talking about goes far beyond a white person correcting your use of the term 'black.'

9. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

On the news here in Canada an offshore fisherman is now called a fisher because there are I think 3 woman that are offshore fishermen.  Nope, that's 3 female fishers.  Had to catch myself there, I wouldn't want to not be called politically correct. lol

10. aka-dj profile image65

Actress/actor.
    Chairman/chairwoman/chairperson.
    Sister/nurse.
    Steward/stweardess/flight attendant.
    Husband/wife/partner.
    man/human/ mankind/humankind.
    God/He/She?
    skinny/fat  overweight, large ? ? ?
    We all know what we "mean" (?), but there is so much shift in culture and the meaning of words, it's not what others "hear". Perhaps we need to revise the Englis/American/Australian/Canadian/New Zealand/South African/etc Dictionary so that we can ALL be on the same page! lol

PS.Pease excuse my P.(Incorrectness). if I left any other English(?) speaking country out. hmm

1. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
      VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 15 years agoin reply to this

India has the largest population of English speaking people.

11. allshookup profile image60

So, now that you typed all of that stuff, you see the problem with PC!!

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I am not crazy about all the PC. A lot of it is silly but I agree with kerryg that a lot of it comes down to showing respect for others.

However, some people use the argument against PC to promote their own prejudices. And I am not referring to anyone posting here so don't get all defensive...

13. Make  Money profile image67
    Make Moneyposted 15 years ago

I lost a job that I worked at for nine and a half years to a politically correct individual back in the 80s.  You know, because I looked like the majority.  My friends told me that politically correct individual still didn't know how to do the job correctly a year later.  Is that using the term politically correct, politically incorrectly? lol

1. Make  Money profile image67
      Make Moneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Homeland security reminds me of what Hitler used to get people to snitch on other people.  It creates an environment of untrust.  I also live in Canada, do you think what I just said will get back to them? big_smile 

Actually I believe the person that decided whether I kept this job that I mentioned below was just using that politically correct excuse because I belong to a church that is not politically correct in his mind or in his lodge, if you know what I mean.

Shhh, but don't tell anyone. lol

Mike

14. aka-dj profile image65

Thank you.
    I knew I would miss some!
    So to be PC, I speak Australian (english), and you speak Indian (english)? hmm

15. aka-dj profile image65

Here's a new one.
    We have a debate going on in parliament over whether or not teachers should mark students work using "red ink" or not. It is seen by some to be too "provocative". hmm hmm

16. Nickny79 profile image67
    Nickny79posted 15 years ago

The legal profession is obsessed with PC-speak.

No longer do we distinguish between Executor and Executrix, Testator and Testatrix--we always used the masculine form.

17. aka-dj profile image65

Kind of like actor and actress. Sheesh!
    PC, what an oxymoron!

18. knolyourself profile image59

Political correctness is kinda like good manners. One should use language that does not offend who it is one is talking too.

19. knolyourself profile image59

Political correctness is kinda like good manners. One should use language that does not offend who it is one is talking too.

1. Nickny79 profile image67
      Nickny79posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Political Correctness reminds me of the concept of "double speak" out of George Orwell's 1984.  It's a form of propaganda and mind control.  It's a powerful means for certain interests groups to impose their political perspective and moral agenda on the population at large.  Political correctness offends me. It's servile and infringes on individual expression and intellectual diversity.  Liberals love to celebrate diversity so long as it's not intellectual diversity...i.e. disagreeing with their perspective.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you. The sooner we get back to calling fat people fat and Asian people Chinks, the better. smile

I rather think you are mixing your political preferences into this though, and blaming all this terribleness on the liberals is a little far-fetched. "Double-speak"? Ah - Fox news.

The best bit of politically correct double speak I have heard lately is the non-liberal government's new term for fixing the economy -

"Money supply growth." big_smile

20. Shirley Anderson profile image69
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

I'm afraid to use any words or phrases that fall under the label of 'political correctness'.  I don't always know when they change and I'm afraid of saying the wrong thing.

21. Shirley Anderson profile image69
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

By the way.....who decides which words are politically correct?  Officially, I mean.

22. TheMoneyGuy profile image68
    TheMoneyGuyposted 15 years ago

There is nothing official that would kill the boogy man effect.  It is very purposfully vague and ambiguous.  Just they we like it, then I can pull the PC card whenever I want to squelch your independant thoughts and speeches. (I.E.  Anything I don't agree with!!!!)

TMG

1. Shirley Anderson profile image69
      Shirley Andersonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah, mind control!  Well, it worked on me, I only feel safe to speak openly on certain topics around trusted friends.

23. TheMoneyGuy profile image68

Perfect, now we can start implementing a plan to get your trusted friends to snitch on you.  I think we will call it the Patriot Act, so people feel good about it, like they are just doing there duty so to speak.

TMG

How nice...make it all warm and fuzzy for folks.  That really is the best of both worlds, eh? (I'm Canadian, I have to say that)

You do realize that the second part of your evil plan is already working.  I'm eyeing my compadres suspiciously.  When they ask me a question, I'll be demanding to know why they want to know.  Can't take chances.  If I disappear, you'll know why.

24. knolyourself profile image59

It would seem that nick does understand the difference between
    PC and doublespeak. '"Clear Skies' for more pollution,
    'Collateral Damage' for civiilian casualties, counseled out, made redundant, let go, dismissed, terminated, downsize, rightsize, headcount adjustment, RIF (reduction in force), realignment.
    Fat guy. Weight challenged. Blubber Blasphemy.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Headcount adjustment. Love that one smile

25. TheMoneyGuy profile image68

I believe if you look Canada as a Reciprocal agreement to share information with the U.S.  So that doesn't really save you from the evil plot.  Only gives a warm little security blanket so that you won't be suspicious as to how we know all of these things.

Ah man, I'm doomed!

26. TheMoneyGuy profile image68

Very Interesting thought KerryG,  As a Native American (Actual CDIB carrying as opposed to all those that claim it) I have always referred to myself as Indian, even though I Look nothing like an Indian from India.  It is just what we say at home or amongst ourselves.  I subscribe to a different philosophy, in the end tolerance is nice but some day you may find yourself having to decide who get’s to eat and who doesn’t, in that moment all the differences and the correct words become crystal clear, ethnicity is simply the first division of us against them (regardless of Us and Them are) and you divide it down to you are only left with your own children.  And as much as I love everyone in the world none would ever be safe, if I had to choose between them and my own.  When food is abundant and life is safe and convenient, we have the privilege of all this enlightenment, but there is a point in all of us that will kill one another, for an acorn or a wasp when that is all there is.  In our arrogance we forget we are the same as, and follow the same rules as all other animals in this world. (I grew up in a sparcely populated area with mostly others of the same tribe as myself, my worldview was developed by travelling the world.)

27. TheMoneyGuy profile image68

That environment of mistrust is so very important in a Fascist regime.  If people could trust one another they could quickly organize a response.  But, alas when someone rings the alarm, all too often we say wow what a quack, and laugh a little when they haul him away.  Little do we know they will be here for each one of before to long.  In fact I hear someone knocking on my door now!!!!!!!

TMG

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)