Did you quit smoking?

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (60 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

I quit.  I am proud and I shared.  I know a few other hubbers also quit but I don't know if you wrote about it. 

If you did, what was the response from the readers?  Did you find it fascinatingly strange that some folks would call you arrogant for doing what seems impossible to them?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good for you. Who called you arrogant?

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Someone called Pink Umbrella and someone else can't remember who.  And thanks.  I know it is good for me. lol You too by the way!

Morons. Thanks. smile I had a real tough time of it - as the frog knows. But - I seem over the worst now. 8th month.

1. profile image0

What was your worst time?  Mine was at about 3 weeks later.

I was ill from about 3 weeks to 16 weeks or so. One thing after another. All sorts of weird infections, teeth issues meaning about 6 weeks on serious painkillers and antibiotics LOL - and then the flu. I do believe I got banned from the forums several times in that time frame. wink

Then came my crisis time - after all that at - about 4 months. Soooo close to smoking - but didn't.

Guess it is different for everyone.

I had been smoking heavily for 36 years and this was extremely hard for me to do. Still weird.

2. profile image0
      pburgerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

After smoking tobacco for about 15 years, I quit about 25 years ago. It took me about 10 years to quit. I kept telling myself 'I'll quit' and tried a few times but always went back to smoking. Then, one day, I came home from the shop without having bought a fresh packet of tobacco. I refused to go back to the shop and never bought tobacco again. It took a few months more before I stopped asking people for a spare one...But the one thing that really helped was to look myself in the mirror and say 'I don't smoke!'

And recently I gave up smoking marijuana. i smoked dope for 30 years, and grew my own for about the last five years. But a year ago, I started having chiropractic adjustments, and one day I realized smoking was doing my health no good. So, I pulled up a crop that nearly ready to harvest and threw it in the rubbish bin.  I haven't smoked since and haven't graved a smoke.

And more recently I stopped drinking alcohol. About two years ago I would drink a bottle of vodka or scotch every weekend. Then I lost about 30 kilos of weight, took up playing squash and cut back my drinking to a six-pack on the weekend. After ceasing with dope - I just stopped going to the bottle-shop on the way home. I haven't had a drink of alcohol in about 3 months.

I feel great! smile

1. Scent profile image60
        Scentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YOU GO BOIY as they say back home in Joisey

3. wesleycox profile image69
      wesleycoxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I quit smoking three years ago, cold turkey.  This is the first I wrote about it.

1. lorlie6 profile image72
        lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wesley, writing about it was a mistake for me.  I started "The Tobacco Diaries" (NOT meant as a plug) a couple of weeks ago and when I began smoking again, I couldn't bring myself to write at all.  It's a strange thing to put yourself 'out there' in this community.  I feel a sort of obligation to the wonderful people who gave me support and encouragement, and now there's a strange kind of guilt. 
        I imagine I could write about relapse, but every time I begin, I seem stuck.
        Yikes!

1. Faybe Bay profile image66
          Faybe Bayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's why it's the tobacco diaries Lorlie! It is to chronicle how hard it is to quit and stay quit! What good is it to any reader to have everyone succeed! Only that when they try and can't quit yet they feel more a failure.

Remember our hero, writing the Basketball Diaries was real! The real deal! To be honest, I haven't been able to write due to anxiety attacks. I have them regularly, and my hands are cramping as I type in this forum.

I am using the electronic cigarettes and I still can't write hubs since I don't have my ashtrays and my habit!

Write it for all of those who relapse, they need to know they are not the only ones.

Love you Lorlie! You can do this!

1. prey profile image67
            preyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

great advice girl/

Hi, at risk of hijacking how r u?

2. lorlie6 profile image72
            lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aww, Faybe-thanks!  I guess I'm just not sure how to write the hub.  It really is a struggle-sorry about the anxiety.  I also suffer from SAD and PTSD and KNOW that the conditions are far from controlled. 
            Cigarettes give me a wonderfully false sense of relaxation.  Crazy!

I know. That's why I have the electronic ones. They do not taste the same, especially when you are still smoking. But after a few days, when you feel you need a cigarette, you get used to the taste.

That's the hub I was supposed to write and couldn't that and a half dozen more.

2. mega1 profile image78
          mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

We would all rather have you around writing and talking to us than hiding out and not writing - just cuz you need to smoke, don't worry about it!  I still smoke, like I said - on Sundays only - but only because I'm not allowed to smoke where I live and I never tell myself I am really quitting, because then I would be sneaking out back to smoke and get in trouble!!  Better to just tell yourself - let's see how well I can do, and give yourself lots of strokes for reducing the number to a few a day - and then it will gradually become less and less important to you.  Although - whenever I read the word "smoking" I want to smoke!  really.  we are complicated people - give yourself some slack and lots of good attention - don't feel bad.

4. Ben Evans profile image64
      Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I quit chewing tobbaco almost 2 years ago.  I was at almost a can every other day.  It was very hard.  I tried many methods cutting down, the patch, but cold turkey was the only one.  I quit once in the past for 2 years but I had probably had twenty slips in that time and then finally started again.

Now I have no slips.

Congratulations Sandra it will be one of the best things in your life to be rid of smoking.

5. alfaizi profile image60
      alfaiziposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't smoke and will never smoke as I hate the smell of it.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I haven't quit and have no intention on quitting, and to top that, I haven't written one word about it either. smile

1. profile image0

Okay Ray.  lol

3. ITSecurityAnalyst profile image59
    ITSecurityAnalystposted 13 years ago

I find no reason on quitting, perhaps I will reduce the freq. of smoking.

4. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

I will be soon. I've been building up to it for months. I'm going to quietly but firmly sneak up on myself, put that last filthy smoker out and just go right ahead and quit.

At least - that's the theory.

I have a feeling I'm going to be very very horrible to myself and anyone that is an innocent bystander/in my line of sight/a cat.

It's a disgusting habit. I just wish I could feel disgusted enough with myself to throw them away. Cags and IT - both of you sound like some folks I know.

I may write about it. If only to apologise to whoever haplessly strays into my view when I do quit.

*looks to the future* If you're going to be one of my future victims - sorry in advance smile

You can take it out on me. I was HORRIBLE for at least 4 months. sad

1. frogdropping profile image78
        frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know you had a terrible time Mark. I certainly take my hat off to you. How the heck you didn't start again after all that happened, I'll never know. Still ... all in the past and you're the better for it smile

Slightly heavier. sad But enjoying the biking.....

1. frogdropping profile image78

Ahhhh slightly is good. Biking is great. You'll be as sexy as a hot nekkid waiter on ice before you know it wink

Slightly - 30 pounds. sad

1. Misha profile image62
                Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He-he tongue

LOL - More of me to lurve.....

1. Misha profile image62
                    Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, of me - too lol

2. frogdropping profile image78

You'll shift it Mark. The hardest thing you did was the quitting. My friend went away a few years ago and came back horribly overweight.

She took six months to get frighteningly unhealthy. It's taken her the best part of three years or so to lose it. She didn't go mad, just became more active, watched what she ate a little more.

And I'm not talking 30lbs either. Was a good bit more. She looks great now smile

5. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

anyone have a light by chance? hmm:

6. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

that's crazy, they're just jealous or feeling the guilt. how could it be arrogant to stop a deadly habit? hmm

you quitters need to go over to dale's thread and encourage him if you haven't seen it yet.

7. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

Yes I quit and never looked back...except...to...say...goodbye...dear Cigarettes....boo hoo!
    At least I replaced smoking with cider drinking!

8. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

sandra, forgot to say congrats! that's a great accomplishment.

9. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

2 days for me now lol.  So far so good.  Im just expecting things to get worse as Im sure they will. 

Im ready for whatever smoking has to throw at me.  I am not failing at this.

Dale

You can do it. If you want to quit - you will quit.

1. profile image0

I totally agree.  You will if you want to. 

Everyone who quit has something to share.  I had been smoking since I was 13 years old, possibly 12.  So it was more than half my life. 

How I inevitably put on weight is a mystery but it's a different kind of weight.  A good kind of weight.  big_smile 

I think it beats the skin and bones with booze and cigarettes look any day!  Still like my beer though and I actually like drinking more without the cigarettes. 

For me, I didn't' change anything in my life.  I didn't even toss out the old cigarette butts.  I don't ignore my friends who still smoke either. 

Literally, for me all I did was not smoke.  For the first couple of weeks, I still went outside in the morning to drink my coffee.  I just did it without the cigarette... I did things like that. 

The gross stuff was hocking up brown balls of goop.  ewwwww... lol.  But it is worth it.  big_smile  And don't get me wrong, I have my days but they get easier.  You just have to trust that ex smokers are telling the truth, that it does get easier.

Ps. Thank you Rabeckelle.  big_smile 

PPS.  Just saw how this posted, it was to reply to Dale.

10. liswilliams profile image41
    liswilliamsposted 13 years ago

well done for quitting!, I been there myself a couple of years ago. It was tough, but now I feel 100 times better..especially when biking! Keep going

11. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

I quit in 1993.  However, it was a little weird how it all unfolded.

12. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I only smoke on Sundays now - only 3 or so  - but today, for some reason I started wanting one right after lunch, and usually I don't think of it until Sunday comes around.  weird.

13. ddsurfsca profile image73
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

I did quit at the beginning of the year, still dont smoke, and I did write a hub about it.  The response was very non existent as nobody commented and I had little traffic either.

1. ddsurfsca profile image73
      ddsurfscaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quite a bit like the response to this comment....maybe nobody cares...HA...what a lonely thought

14. romper20 profile image83
    romper20posted 13 years ago

Just recently, I wrote a whole article on an alternative to smoking cigarettes.

Overall Great Hubber though  )

RomperHubber

15. sagbee profile image57
    sagbeeposted 13 years ago

I do not smoke, so no point in quitting tongue lol... But I have seen many people around me who did quit ... it was hard for them initially but later on they did it with ease... smile If you have self confidence and determination then you can do big wonders easily...

1. romper20 profile image83
      romper20posted 13 years agoin reply to this

very true, I feel its more of a craving within that gets 2 people. It's hard man... Ill tell ya first hand, if it wasn't for electronic cigs i dunno haha smile

16. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

I quit cold turkey 8 months ago now and had to stop drinking coffee for about 3 months so that I didn't make it worse.  I still feel like I could handle a smoke on occasion.. but I don't want to loose my sense of smell again.

Good on everyone who has been successful in quitting... Didn't you really really enjoy it?  I Did. lol

1. TheGlassSpider profile image63
      TheGlassSpiderposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Which? The smoking, or the quitting?

God, I LOVED smoking - in fact, I felt exactly the same as Cagsil did (see earlier in the thread)...but then, I started hacking up this disgusting phlegm in the mornings and decided that was just TOO much. On top of that I started taking care of this elderly gentleman who's been smoking all his life: He now sucks on three different inhalers twice a day, takes nebulizer treatments six times a day, is on O2 'round the clock, and is wheelchair-bound. I decided I didn't want to end up like that.

2. Ben Evans profile image64

i enjoyed the tobbaco.  When I was frustrated, it calmed me down and gave a nice little kick in the morning.  Dont get into the thought that you can still enjoy a cig once in awhile.  After awhile you will be at the same point you were before you quit.

I quit once for two years and thought I could handle every once in awhile and it didnt work.

I am now again stopped for 2 years and I wont touch tobacco ever again.

Keep up the good work.

17. Dale Mazurek profile image61
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

Today is day 20 and to be honest I have never been more proud of myself for anything.

20 days without a cigarette makes me feel even better then the best month I ever had working online.

Many people have admitted to me that they didnt think i would make it.  Thats okay because I proved them all wrong.

Congrats to all quitters

Dale

1. Ben Evans profile image64

Good job Dale.  The hard part is behind you.

No matter what if you need a smoke dont.

18. jiberish profile image80
    jiberishposted 13 years ago

Congrads to all who quit smoking.  I quit every night right before I go to sleep, I have no will power!

19. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

There is always a high risk of hijacking happening. lol lol lol

Hi my Cagsil! I am still talking about your web site to anyone who will listen.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay. cool How are you doing today? smile

mild anxiety attacks. tried to write and couldn't. smile You look good! wink

Yeah, I tried to write earlier and didn't get anywhere. lol

Oh good, then it isn't just me. Maybe it's the weather or the time of year.

Maybe. lol

Oh shoot now it is a hijack! Look what you made me do smile sad big_smile Sorry about that I have to go get some sleep or at least try to.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)