The Christian Religion Causes Conflicts and Division

Jump to Last Post 51-67 of 67 discussions (451 posts)
  1. Andrew0208 profile image57
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

This thread indeed incites conflicts and division among mankind. The poster enjoys it a lot.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Look who is talking? hmm

2. profile image53
      (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

A lack of religious belief can be shared by all and bring all people together. Religions only divide people as we can plainly see from the thousands of different religions professing their god and their beliefs.

The same beliefs would have outsiders or non-believers of that religion sent to eternal damnation and hellfire simply because they don't worship that particular god.

How is this not divisive and how does it not cause conflict?

2. Andrew0208 profile image57

Who is actually causing the usual conflicts and division if I may ask? They say, "charity begins at home." roll

You make absolutely no sense. One statement has absolutely nothing to with the latter statement.

Religion and those who follow religious mystical scripture are the cause of the conflict, because of the ignorance the united share between them and others like them.

There isn't anything civilized about Christians or their individual personal 'god'. The very words spouted are the cause of conflict, yet none of them see it.

Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's your opinion...good for you. Atheism is neither civilized as claimed. We've had more heated threads by Mark that lead to personal attacks and calling of names in the past...Mark is a bit tamed now unlike two years ago. But he won't stop causing the same.

Your own skewed views see my words as opinion, when actually they are FACT and the simple FACT that you "dismiss" them for opinion, show your willing to be in conflict with other out of choice.
          My concern is not for Mark or his being an Atheist, because believe it or not, truth is all the matters to Mark.

The FACT you claim he insults people is subjective and only amounts to the overall/underlying problem. People who are religious feel their righteous makes them superior to others.

That is a lie in and of itself.

So, apparently you are not any better than those who you cast your words at about sin, when in fact you sin just by opening your mouth.

Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There you start! Calling names! Don't expect me to respond in these manners of the poster. Believing is a choice!

2. profile image0
            Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are we enabling now, Ray? Come on. If one is purely interested in truth, they would not design or inspire their own doctrine, hold everything accountable to one organization nor constantly, daily and poignantly oppose everyone's opine -for the sake of sarcasm, humor or otherwise.

just a thought...

there are no FACTS, only things considered beyond a reasonable doubt.

And you say that why exactly? Do you seriously believe anything you say is going to matter to me. hmm  Hmm....that too, is just a thought.
              Where are we suppose to be going? hmm
              You're too funny. lol  Thank you I needed a good laugh today.
              Interesting you say that. hmm

1. profile image0
                Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

like I said, Ray: enabler. give the preaching a rest.
                isn't helping you or Mr. "Pump up my Blog" either.

Not one shred of actual value do you or he present as a VALID and USEFUL alternate. Forget justification -it is useless on both ends. Sarcasm, hate speech and evasive "lol" sound bites don't make anyone better...

just a thought...

And, your point of pointing out my action is for your own self gratification? hmm

You have no reason to even bother with me or anything I say. Yet, you attempt to do it, as though you are convincing yourself that it's going to do some good.

So, do everyone, including yourself, a favor. Mind your business and stick to cooking. Because, every time you open your mouth on here, someone jumps down your throat, with the same attitude you project.

What separates YOU and Me? Is our experience in understanding individual people. Which, you apparently give no value to at all. You degrade and dictate, as though you have THE ultimate philosophical position, when in fact you don't. What's even funnier is that you do not see it, even as people point it out to you.

With that said- Good night.

3. Andrew0208 profile image57

A pleasant weekend Cagsil. I guess this thread is best for religionists. I perceive hate...I'm out!

Good bye!

And, your skewed religious view allows you to duct out from offering any basis of anything. Thank you for your time and Hopefully you do have a good day. lol

4. Shealy Healy profile image60
    Shealy Healyposted 13 years ago

To respond to the original thought-does Christianity cause conflict and division-it proves true that all creeds have the ability to create division among people. While a creed has the potential and I think the goal of uniting those who believe in a similar manner-most often mankind has the personal desire to see the differences instead of the similarities in beliefs.

5. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

Imagine for a moment...  You wake up one morning and every one you meet has an attitude just like yours.
       Everyone has a outlook on life just like yours.
       Every one responds to others exactly like you do.
       Take everyone off of the face of the earth that disagrees with your view as to what the world is supposed to be like.

Honestly ...After a few days living in that world are you REALY going to like it ??

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why does it have to be like that? As usual - all you can do is defend your ridiculous religion. People who not agree with homosexuals doing as they wish do not have to start agreeing. They just have to stop parading their disagreement with it and fighting to have it made illegal.

We don't have to all think the same thing to get along do we? I am surprised you are unable to see the artificial division this religion causes.

1. Internetwriter62 profile image76
        Internetwriter62posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do you say it's artificial? If you think about it. It's human to disagree, by human I am referring to all humanity. Even if this world had no religion, there will still be disagreements and wars. Unless we  are all mindless puppets with no ideas of our own and everyone thinks the same, conflict is inevitable.
        Being in the Christian faith does present a viewpoint that does not agree with the non-believing world, therefore conflict will happen. Not because of the Christian faith, but because it's human nature to be conflictive.

1. profile image53
          (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting that believers are convinced that we would still act the way we do without religions.

But, that is exactly the characteristics that make up believers. It is the non-believers who think for themselves and don't simply follow a cults doctrines like mindless puppets. You nailed it.

No, it IS the Christian faith that causes the conflict and has little to do with human nature. Sorry.

I rest my case Q, you are disagreeing with me now.

As individuals we are not puppets, we have free will, and not being puppets, we all have our own way of thinking, therefore conflict is inevitable. If we, Christians are all mindless puppets than it would be very difficult for us to be conflictive since our thinking would totally conformist. Conflict happens when two do not conform to the same opinion, and it is human nature not to conform.

Even if this world was similar to John Lennon's  "Imagine" with no religion, countries or anything else he states as causing conflict, there will still be war. Conflict starts within one's heart, it not a matter of taking away externals. You could have a world of plenty with no ideologies, that as long as there is hatred in the heart of people, there will be conflict.

If anything Christianity has taught people to choose unselfishness and peace. It teaches to love not to hate. It teach to love your enemy. Lets face it, if everyone loved their enemies, there would be less enemies and less conflict. That seems logical to me.

It's not only believers, who think we act the way we do without religion, there are many philosophers who are not religious who talk about the conflictive nature of man.

Nonsense. You are merely defending your belief system. Oddly enough - that is the source of the conflict. wink

We are not naturally conflictive. We need something to trigger that. Religion and nationalism are the two most commonly used tools in the arsenal used by a small percentage of the population who are driven by greed to own or control the resources at the expense of the rest of humanity.

Combined with artificially rationing the resources (money) both a belief in an invisible super Daddy and the belief that "We are better than XYZ tribe and deserve their resources" are fantastic tools to manipulate the sheeple.

Christians are a perfect example of non-thinking and I for one think we could actually change our behavior if we wanted to, but it requires thinking for our selves.

2000 years of the invisible super Daddy has been proven not to work and your denial that it causes conflict is strange.

So you're saying atheists never argue among themselves. That in a world with no religion everyone would get along.

No. I am saying that religion and a belief in a god is one of the tools used to artificially cause conflict between groups of humanity and disposing of it is one step towards uniting us. Just read a bible - it will cause conflict because it is tribal thinking. Sure - there are other tools that are used such as nationalism and these would need to go also.

All the time you believe that you have the word of god in your head and your way is the right way - how can we be united?

We can't. It has been the dream of man since the beginning to have some form of Utopia. Experiment after failed experiment have been conducted throughout history. In the US there have been at least 50 utopias and none have prevailed.

Utopias don't exist and it's not because of religion, it's because of human nature.

6. Internetwriter62 profile image76
    Internetwriter62posted 13 years ago

Thanks for sharing what you think would be a solution to wars. I know you are not the first to propose this solution, it has been the subject of many books and debates. Don't take it personally, I read a lot to. I'm not ignorant, I just don't agree with your viewpoint.

Of course you don't. You believe god will make it all better and we do not need to even try. I get it. You have been sold on not giving a damn and hoping it will be OK when you are dead.

This is what religion needs. People like you who give up on humanity and pray for paradise in death. Sad really. sad

Even if you could achieve your dream, we all will die one day. I have to agree with you, I don't take life in this world very seriously. I feel this life is temporary and I believe in the other one to be far superior and eternal.

I know you think Christianity is just pie in the sky thinking and foolishness. I on the other hand, see it as my greatest hope. I once thought a lot like you do, but God found me along the way. Christ said it "My kingdom is not of this world" Yes, your right about Christians having their hope in afterlife.

7. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

It is not the christian religion that causes conflict and division, nor the muslim faith nor any other... It is people with their hatred of anyone not from their group... Those of you who argue on here are no better than spoilt little children arguing after school about whose football team is better..

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hallua, AMEN, foodenfauden fodden. 
        You got that right.

2. Internetwriter62 profile image76

You make an excellent point LeanMan.

8. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

The word that keeps popping into my mind through all these types of threads: Racism.

Racism: humans versus humans.

Racism and anyone that chews a diffrent brand of Bacca than I do.

9. Jerami profile image59

Bruce_Leiter   I could be wrong but I don't think that the trinity is that much concerned if I think that they are three in one or one in three.  If Jesus can be crucufied for our sins, he is not going to be disturbed on that issue.

No offence but I don't believe that the scripture reveals itself to us. It is what it is. If it were not for our interpretations, the truth that is in it would not need to be revealed.

Just my thoughts.

10. NCapamaggio profile image61
    NCapamaggioposted 13 years ago

Jesus Christ did not come to make peace. He came to save your soul

1. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"I come, not to bring peace, but division, and a sword!" He came to reveal, and that revelation divides the old perception of the Hebrew God from the new perception that became organized christian religion. Karl Marx said " Religion is the opiate of the masses."

11. Greek One profile image64
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I think that when people have strong, differing beliefs about anything, conflicts can arise... politics, economic theory, who has the right to certain natural resources, etc.

Religion is just one area where people have very strong views. Similarly, religions, like political, economic or other social movements can at times attempt to enforce their views on others in the cruelest and most inhumane ways.

The fault lies not in religion per say, or in believing strongly in something, or in the fact that people have differing views.  Problems arise when these views inherently demand that followers superimpose their beliefs upon others, or when adherents take it upon themselves to do so even if their expressed faith demands no such thing.

12. Jerami profile image59

I do not understand why so many people do not know the difference between having comunion with God and having religion.

1. writerjay profile image68
      writerjayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Long opinon to a simple question. I'm sure there will be more thought on this. Thanks Jerami

"Traditional Religion" is man made (denominations), with rules and individual doctrines. If you want to belong, you must adhere to the plan. We find a particular group of people who we feel comfortable with and

The act of Communion, remembering, meditating on the birth, death and ressurection of Christ allows God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, to come in, love on us, correct us, and actually have a relationship with us, and us with Him.

We are called to fellowship, to gather together, to learn, to teach, and go out and love one another as Christ has loved us. We do this in church settings. I haven't found perfection in any church, and as long as there are people like me, I guess I never will. But belonging to an organized church family has allowed me to grow in my relationship with Christ. So taking communion is so special because it reminds me of HIs complete love for me and the world. It reminds me that I am a part of a universal family called the Body of Christ.

It is difficult for me to say what I am thinking about religion sometimes.  Religion is a good thing when it comes to introducing someont to God.

But it is kinda like when your best friend introduces you to a blind date.  They can tell ya for ever and for ever how great that person is.  But eventually you are going to have to have a relationship with him or not.

Some people are goina talk about it for ever and not have that relationship.

Church activities can be great!  But if  this is our fulfillment ???    A Journey half fulfilled is not satisfying; I wouldn't think.

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

And people wonder why there are conflicts. lol

14. stilljustwonderin profile image61
    stilljustwonderinposted 13 years ago

One of the things Jesus had against the Pharasees was their religion.  They went by the letter of the law and didn't look into the heart of man.  Mosses said "An eye for an eye."  Jesus said "Turn the other cheek".  The people caught a woman in adultry and brought her out to be stoned, according to the law.  Jesus said "He who is with out sin cast the first stone."  I have been to different denominations and they are all a little different.  I have sat in church and heard how it is a sin for a woman to cut her hair.  They skipped the scripture under that which said "If there be any contention among you there is no such custom in the church of God."  Forget about "Religion" and look upon a persons heart.  Yes I believe Jesus is the way.  I have friends who don't believe.  I love them any way.  We agree that we can disagree.

15. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

There's no denying religions the world over have dramatically changed the shape of history and society for the worse.

But it's also given a lot, too. It's easier to see the darker points, however.

At any rate--it's not Christianity. It's the corrupt hearts, minds, and souls of those leveraging religion for their own agendas.

16. Yelahamr profile image59
    Yelahamrposted 13 years ago

Is Mark serious??????
    Tolerance from Christians??????
    NO! Sorry, we dont tolerate religions who sacrifice babies and drink their blood, never see any athiest or Muslims, homosexuals crying out against that on here!!!!!
    No everyone wants to "cry" about Christians are so judgemental............ They are ruining the world.......HA HA...
    I have never encountered a homosexual at work, school etc who didn't always have "SOMETHING" negative to say about heterosexuals (their hair, their clothes, their house, their boyfriend/girlfriend) but then again I've never met ALL gays in this world, their 'might' be a non judgemental one.\
    Same goes for you Mark, you haven't met all Christians, you, me, we are all flesh and blood.  In all different walks of life. 
    sorry if i offended anyone- some of you would prefer I refer to my first statement as "Pro-choice".  by the way nice pic.

17. Jerami profile image59

I myself would be suprised if such a meating had not  happened.

It has always been my belief that the Church that the Roman Empire built is the beast that John saw rise up out of the sea in rev 13.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)