What is the monetary value of vatican city?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (49 posts)
  1. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Is "christianity" devoted to the accumulation of wealth and power?

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Qwark!!   (no hi-jacking today, I promise!!  lol)

No, Catholicism is.

Oh!  and Mormonism.

1. qwark profile image60
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hahaha..Hi Raf..:-)
        First question first:
        What is the value of vatican city?
        Now 2nd question.
        Catholics claim to be the only christians.
        Mormons are naught but a crazy cult.
        My father was a mormon. I know it first hand.
        From the council of nicea to today, has and is,  power and wealth been the aim of christianity?

1. profile image51
          paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

From Paul to nicea to today, has and is, power and wealth been the aim of christianity?

Thanks

2. JethroHiggins profile image59
        JethroHigginsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Catholic Church is the greatest  force of social justice on the planet, feeding more hungry, clothing more naked and giving more of the homeless shelter than any other organization on the planet.  And the Church is responsible for keeping Art and History alive through the ages.  Saving the planet is not a cheap endeavor.  The Catholic Church is pretty much #1 in everything that is good on Earth. 

It takes money in this world to do things like this it's not like the Church is hording money.  Having money and hording money are two very different things, and without money organizations like Catholic Relief Service, and the Knights of Columbus or Catholic daughters could not offer the services and benefits to the needy that they do.

If the Church wants to continue to be a force of good in the world for another 2000 years financial stability does a lot to help that.  ALso you are making the error of assuming that "The Church" is bishops and Cardinals.  It is not The Church is the people.  Who have freely given their money to a pool for the purposes and needs of others in our greater community. 

Somebody was making a big deal of the number 100 Billion as if that were a lot of money, but if that were the amount of money that the Church has in the bank which I'm not sure that would be a relatively insignificant amount.  That would be roughly $80 for each person who is Catholic.  In my opinion each individual Catholic should consider increasing their donations to the general pool of money we use to do good in the world so that we can reach a greater number of people with basic human needs.

1. profile image54
          (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

According to the John Jay Report:

* Of the 11,000 allegations, 3300 were not investigated because the allegations were made after the accused priest had died. 6700 allegations were substantiated, leaving 1000 which could not be substantiated.
              * 56% of the priests were accused of a single allegation. 44.4% of the priests were the subject of more than one allegation. 3.5% of the priests were the subject of ten or more allegations.
              * Just under 6% of victims were 7 years of age or younger. 16% of the victims were between age 8 and age 10. 78% of the victims were between age 11 and age 17.

http://www.oneinhundred.com/Upfiles/upimg3/Foam-stock--We-re-number-1--ha-4846613.jpg

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Is "christianity" devoted to the accumulation of wealth and power?

It always has been and nothing more.

As for the monetary value of the Vatican? Going up in value in property only, each and every, day. lol lol

1. qwark profile image60

TY Cags:
        I've spoken to many priests and catholics who adamantly claim to be the only christians.
        It seems to me, from my seminary studies that jesus was an ascetic who alledgely preached wherever he could find those who would listen. Whether it's true of not is of no concern.
        What is of concern is that vatican city is the very heart beat of the richest, capitalistic theocracy on earth and it claims to represent this fellow jesus christ.
        I seem to remember that this jesus didn't have a pot-to-piss in, let alone a city worth billions of dollars which could be spent caringly, relieving, so much pain and suffering in the world!
        It seems to me that it's CEO: the pope, exists among riches that only the pharoahs could enjoy!
        It seems to me, that "IF" the myth of "satan" were a reality, he, would fit snuggly into the clown robes of this religious criminal...the pope!
        I visited vatican city. I have never been witness to such oppulence and unmitigated riches!
        It seemed to me to be the antithesis of everything this fellow jesus stood for.

1. blue parrot profile image59
          blue parrotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the Vatican owns the greaest art made by its artists all along the centrueis and partly financed by selling  papal pardons for all your sins.

However, could you tell me, please, what the Vatican could do with all those riches? Sell them for some lousy dollars? Swiss francs? Euros? Sell to whom?

You'll say: no matter what currency, give it to the poor.

Hm.

How much have the US been spending these last few years on their wars?

1. qwark profile image60

Irish:
            c'mon!
            Catholicism is still collecting tithes! For what? to get richer and more powerful?
            They are always seeking more converts to bring more $ into the vatican cache!
            It is the "mafia" on a much grander scale!
            If they were so onclined, they could be of much greater assistance to humanity than they are...but their main interest since 300 AD has been power and riches..
            They represent mankind at its absolute worst!

2. JethroHiggins profile image59
        JethroHigginsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Qwark your mind is backwards on the way those to things are connected... The Church uses their money to reach more people not their people to reach more money...  It's not like somebody is living fat on Vatican Cash... the Pope lives in a mostly empty room much like an apartment or cell.  This thread is filled with people that have a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship between Church and money.  And to be honest if you are against the Catholic Church then your opinion about what we should or shouldn't do with our money is pretty useless.  Who are you to tell me what to do with my money.  If you want to bring down a selfish money grubbing organization then watch the new movie "Blood Money"  Here's the trailor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYaTywSDmls

3. seanorjohn profile image72
      seanorjohnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A bent farthing.( the lowest common denomination in English currency)Ok, I should have said a bent Italian coin.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Just for the record, I like Jesus' work. I just do not like his message mixed up in religious text.

And you're right, he had no desire to be wealthy, because it wasn't something he felt he needed. Besides, he saw the corruption wealth brings to those who have it.

1. qwark profile image60

Cags:
      This,of course, is "presumption:"

"And you're right, he had no desire to be wealthy, because it wasn't something he felt he needed. Besides, he saw the corruption wealth brings to those who have it."

1. Cagsil profile image70

A "presumption"? No. His life is recorded, regardless of whether or not, you believe it is true.

People, like you- distort the facts- the bible is a written document, some history and some mythology. To discern truth, you need to know which is history and which is mythology.

Many people say that it is hear say, because all the information is second hand. However, if you rip it Jesus' work from religion's grasp, you get a much simpler message than the garbage in the bible.

Incorporating everything known to humanity, since recorded time and now, can you depict what his life was like and what his intentions were from his message spoken to his followers.

However, as I have said before, my own research into religion has bared fruit, because hundreds of people before me, had done similar research and when everything is taken into account, truth is revealed.

1. qwark profile image60

Cags:
          ...and after reading that, my comment remains the same.
          What you offer is trite, hopeful presumption. Nothing more.   :-)
          Prove me wrong pls...

Hey Qwark,

Answer this one question, before I attempt to prove you wrong.

Is there truth in a lie? smile

You have a 50% chance of guessing the right answer.

Edit: btw- I am curious what "truth" is to you also?

1. qwark profile image60

CAgs: There is no relevancy attached to that question.
              My last response stands.
              Prove me wrong..

Actually, you would be wrong on the relevance of what I asked you.

DUH!

There was a reason for it, as I also edited my post. You're one of the people who seems to think that truth is subjected to one person individual perspective.

So, since you are unable to see outside your own little box you built for yourself, then opening your mind isn't an option.

Therefore I conclude I would not be able to show you or explain enough for you to understand it. And, on that note, I'll leave it alone.

Therefore, you can feel your win, that I cannot prove you wrong.

1. qwark profile image60

CAgs:
                  End of chat.
                  My comment stands.
                  You offer naught but trite, hopeful presumption.
                  TY tho for making a forgetable try.  :-)

You know, you can be difficult from time to time and it can be fun to watch, but when you decide that you will no longer learn, then you've lost my respect.

I did have some respect for you, up to this point. You can add me to your growing list of people not to talk to. I willingly go on it.

So much for your respect for me, as you claim to have?

Have a nice life Qwark.

3. aware profile image66
    awareposted 13 years ago

1 dollor?

4. qwark profile image60
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Gosh! This must be a hard one!
    Not even any guessers 'cept "aware" at 1 dollar.....lol

1. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can not write  that high of a number. 
        Never thought about it in this respect before
         I'd bet ya a nickel that their liquid assets are greater that the combined assets of the rest of the world.

Am I close???

Maybe I should have said liquid and debt free realistate.
      That is a lot.

5. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Any monetary value attributed to Vatican City then equals the value of the Catholic Church and nothing more.  So, for me, I don't really care - I have faith in God above, not in the greedy people on earth.

Jesus wasn't interested in monetary gain for a reason - He knew it wasn't important.  What's in the heart is what really matters.

1. qwark profile image60

Hi Raf:
      No you don't.
      You have faith in what you imagine to be "above."
      The vatican represents man at his lowest level of greed and tyranny!
      It uses what you "imagine" to be "above" and preys on the ignorant and easily led.
      It represents the epitome of "greed" and betrayal!

I can agree with you about the Vatican, but not about my faith. smile 

I mentioned God above, but really God is everywhere and everything.  Do I have faith in 'everything'?  That depends on what is meant by 'everything'.  For my purpose, it means nature and what can benefit man the most in its most natural form.  Nothing in life is perfect, so I can deal with my cotton clothes being combined with another fabric - even if its an 'artificial' fabric.  I can deal with eating white bread but prefer wheat.  I can deal with some of my food being processed (pasta) but enjoy fruits and veggies more. 

God created nature and mankind - I have my faith. smile

1. qwark profile image60

Raf:
          ...and I can agree with you if you consider this god thing to be "nature."  :-)

lol

You mean we actually have some kind of understanding - or almost?  big_smile

1. qwark profile image60

Raf:
              Who truly understands anything?...:-)

Oh, my!  lol

um...understanding...um...doesn't everyone understand at least something?  lol

1. qwark profile image60

lol...Raf, we think we do, but who knows?
                  Everything we think we know could change tomorrow...eh? :-)

No!  Please, I'm happy with what I know...so far anyway. hmm  lol

6. Michael Adams1959 profile image81
    Michael Adams1959posted 13 years ago

I don't know the value monetarily but I had heard it long ago. I do know it is more than enough to pay off entire nations debt. And yes it is enough that could actually pay off the debt of the United States.

7. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Financially 100 Billion - morally 00000000000000000000

8. profile image52
    JOHNSTARposted 13 years ago

money is needed in all churches to help keep needs a wants just
    like you need money in everyday life especially for your family
    and home.

1. profile image54
      (Q)posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Gosh, I wish I had a family like this:

"The Vatican has large investments with the Rothschilds of Britain, France and America, with the Hambros Bank, with the Credit Suisse in London and Zurich. In the United States it has large investments with the Morgan Bank, the Chase-Manhattan Bank, the First National Bank of New York, the Bankers Trust Company, and others. The Vatican has billions of shares in the most powerful international corporations such as Gulf Oil, Shell, General Motors, Bethlehem Steel, General Electric, International Business Machines, T.W.A., etc. At a conservative estimate, these amount to more than 500 million dollars in the U.S.A. alone.

"In a statement published in connection with a bond prospectus, the Boston archdiocese listed its assets at Six Hundred and Thirty-five Million ($635,891,004), which is 9.9 times its liabilities. This leaves a net worth of Five Hundred and Seventy-one million dollars ($571,704,953). It is not difficult to discover the truly astonishing wealth of the church, once we add the riches of the twenty-eight archdioceses and 122 dioceses of the U.S.A., some of which are even wealthier than that of Boston. "

9. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 13 years ago

Interesting question lol
    But to me as a spiritual person, I would say,
    the amount of Splendour man gave to vatican city- this temple if you will- the center of the Roman Catholic Church........man builds Churches to honor God--so if this is the richest one in the world--must be the one, holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church of Christ!!!! Anyways, if you find out let me know ;-)

10. Jerami profile image59
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I find it intresting that God did not let King David build him a temple because he had blood on his hands. Soloman finished his temple for god in 966BC
       and God fortold of its destruction and that it would be rebuilt 70 years later.
       God also foretold of that temple being destroyed and not one stone shall be left one on top of another that shall not have been thrown down. Sounds like he had no intentions of it being built again.       

I don't think that God liked the temple thing very much if he kept destrouing it.

Rev 21:22  For the Lord God almighty and the lamb are the temple of it.
      Don't ask me EXACTLY what this means...  but it sounds pretty signifigant for some reason.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)