How short is too short...

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (53 posts)
  1. kmackey32 profile image64
    kmackey32posted 13 years ago

Whats the average word count on your hubs?

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It varies from about 500 to around 2600, but most are in the 1000-1500 word range.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
        kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Damn thats long... lol

2. britneydavidson profile image61
      britneydavidsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My hubs are from 500 to 800 words

1. netlexis profile image63
        netlexisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto. When I aim for 500 words, I write 800. When I aim for 800, I go past 1,000.

3. warchild75 profile image62
      warchild75posted 13 years agoin reply to this

About 600-800 is my average,i have written a couple of hubs that are 1500 but that is not the norm for me!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

My average is around 600. Many others write much longer ones. I would say that too short in terms of getting flagged would be under 200.

3. kmackey32 profile image64

Just wondered cuz my last one was 460, ima make it longer but going to leave it for now...

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

My longest hub is around 6,500 words.

No, no habee - that's not a hub, it's a book!  It'd take me a month to write something like that - I'd never make it.  Heck, the research alone would take me 6 months and my feeble brain could never hold it all at once anyway.

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL! I sometimes have diarrhea of the keyboard - gross but appropriate analogy!

Now THAT'S a mental picture I just didn't need tonight.  lol

1. How to - Answers profile image92
            How to - Answersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have trouble keeping thje word count down.  But when I start to edit it I can see that a lot of the words were unneccessary so that is good. 

My average is around 700 but can be 1,500 to to 2, 000.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That seems a waste, Habee. 

If you could find a way to split that up into four or five Hubs, you'd get four or five times the advertising potential AND four or five times the exposure for your subject in search engines.  Plus it would be easier for readers, because each section would be faster to load and less to scroll down.

Even though it's all on one topic, it's a rare topic you can write 6,500 words on without being able to split it into logical sections.  You'd want to interlink them all, of course.

1. habee profile image92

Nope, Marisa - it wasn't a waste! I won $1,000 for it!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

..and congratulations on the win, but I wasn't thinking about that.  That's in the past.

I'm thinking about future earnings - and I'm pretty sure you could enhance those by splitting it up into interlinked Hubs.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that was your hub voted Best Hub by the judges, right? 
      perhaps why you won the grand prize, I'm sure. 

that hub is amazing! I enjoyed reading it.

1. habee profile image92

That's the one! Thanks a bunch, Rebekah!

1. Research Analyst profile image72
          Research Analystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats to you habee, I like your hubs they are so well written and informative.

5. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

I average around 500.  I use MSWord so I know my word count.

I know several people here that tell me they do very well in terms of making money & their hubs are very short, I would guess right at the 200 mark.  They generally are recipe writers and do one recipe per hub.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I haven't checked out too many recipe hubs, but don't the recipes have to be original content? or do they come from other sources? if so, do they credit the source? just wondering. I've thought of posting some, but I would probably add some content or history.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I'm surprised a 200 word Hub doesn't get flagged as sub-standard.

1. Freya Cesare profile image78
        Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Poetry and recipe rarely more than 200 words. I guess it is not words that counts to be able to passed the sub-standart. Picture and video will be included too. Maybe different topic will have different standart?

1. Freya Cesare profile image78
          Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I mean it is not only words that count..... Typo! Hhhh... sorry.

6. JMPruitt profile image60
    JMPruittposted 13 years ago

i find longer hubs suite me better. However, I don't do it all at once. I usually have 2-3 text fields per hub, linking to my blog, and other content I have around the web. I have some that are over 4000 words long.

7. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

I had to read the hub based on the title...I wasn't sure what "too short" was referring to!  ;-)

Most of my hubs are between 400-700 words, but my amazon ones are a bit shorter...I figure I want people to buy, not read.

Mutiny, you might be interested to know that our Amazon guru, Nelle Hoxie, has experimented with Hub length on her sales Hubs.  She now writes Hubs of around 1,500 words - and last I heard, she was making around $2K per month.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

$2 a month? That's all? I thought she was earning a lot... I'm hoping that's a typo!

Oops yes, there was a K missing there!

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you re-read the quote, you'll see that $2K is an abbreviation for $2,000.

1. waynet profile image68
            waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. rmcrayne profile image90
            rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you read the whole thread, you'll see Marissa initially typed $2, then went back and edited to $2K.

2. Mutiny92 profile image64
      Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

tx Marisa.  I did not know that.

8. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 13 years ago

700 is a good number to aim for. 300 at a minimum. Though I do have a lot that are around 1000+ words.

9. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

If it makes a difference, I've noticed that anything that is not in the poem/poetry category is held to a higher standard.

You can write 100 or 200 word hubs, but they will need to be poems or poetry of some sort and in that category.

Otherwise, I have had hubs tagged as substandard, with less than 400 words. If that helps.

10. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

I shoot for a minimum of 500 words, anything below that and these days I sit on it until I can whack out a few more paragraphs. The hub I am working on now tho is already over 1000 and its maybe a third done (or less). I am thinking of re-writing it to make it an over view and then past the work I have already done into one hub and then do possibly 2 more hubs for all that info I have not managed to get to yet. All this and its just a beginners style tutorial. I did not imagine it would get this big this fast yikes

I do hope that making it a series and grouping them all together will work well and be beneficial for getting more traffic across all of them smile

11. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

400-600 somewhere in between that amount of words, although sometimes when I write I just can't stop and have a few rare hubs with over 1400 words!

12. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

Most of my hubs are around 1500 - 2000 words, a few are a less and one is around 3000. Though it wasn't really intentional - I often find it easier to write a lot. I also think that it depends on what you are writing about, and how many words are needed to cover all the info, because things that are panned out for the sake of it can get boring.

...I haven't read your Hubs, Polly (will rectify that in a minute), but do beware.  When people say "I find it easier to write a lot", it's usually because they're inclined to ramble!

13. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 13 years ago

When I wrote my first few Hubs I patiently uploaded each box and typed away.  This became a rather long and laborious job.  But over past few months I've been preparing them first as a Word Doc.   You simply save the master doc. copy it to a blank page and then cut and paste, putting in each paragraph - and sometimes a number of paragraphs if they're short, into each box.  It's much quicker that way.   

As for length?  Well, quite a variety. Most run from around 500 to 1500 words.  Some quite a bit longer.  As a previous Hubber said, it depends when you reach the end of what you want to say on that particular topic.

If you do have a 'book' then put it in in serial form, numbering each part.

14. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

Most of my hubs are 1000 to 1200 words.

15. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

My longest hub is around 3350 words which I think is too long, but generally I hit between the 800-1200 word mark. I seem to hit around 1000 words as a comfortable number more often than not.

I would think if you are trying to make money for your hubs that under 350 words won't give enough fodder for adsense to crawl and target their ads effectively. I always thought that was why article publishing sites such as Ezine Articles had word limits.

16. kmackey32 profile image64

Well mine are always over 400 words..

17. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

An Ewok is just too short...aim for Chewbacca size and all is good!

18. CrashDummyMan profile image60
    CrashDummyManposted 13 years ago

I average around 500-600.  Maybe a few under that but if you're trying for search engine rankings I think anything under 400 is going to be too short.

19. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 13 years ago

400-1500 words, dependent on the niche for that particular hub.

I am working on a hub, that was growing and growing and growing was getting up to 18,000+ words, plus videos, hub links , external links, music, etc. All written offline, not on the Hub system yet.....

But then looking at how it was growing (once I reached the 5,000 word mark), decided the best thing to do was split it into 10 separate hubs.

20. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

my shortest is a product hub at 586.

my longest is a Fathers Day hub at 2273 (I think it counts the lyrics to a song I included after a video)

mine average out between 1000-1200.

21. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

My longest hub is around 8000 words, but that was more of a personal project than money making extravaganza.

Most of my hubs which earn big bucks are around 1500.

400 + should still get traffic though!

22. Lily Rose profile image86
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I always shoot for around 500-800 words for my hubs, although I have several that are much longer as well.  Sometimes it depends on what kind of hub it is.  For product hubs, I often try and put myself in the reader's - or shopper's - place and that affects the length of my hub.  For certain types of hubs, you can only keep a reader engaged for so long, so it makes sense to make some shorter than others...just don't treat a hub as a blog post because that's not what it is.

23. J@ps profile image56
    J@psposted 13 years ago

Most are: 1,000+

Shortest 500+
    Longest 1,500+

I am guessing, anything shorter that 500 is too short.

24. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks, Research!

Marisa, I know what you meant, but it would be difficult to break that particular hub up.

25. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

IF you can get a 200-word sales hub or adsense hub to rank well in the search engines, it will convert like crazy because usually it's tightly focused and the products and adsense ads are all clustered together. BUT that requirs a lot of off-site SEO know-how and a sustained effort.

A longer hub of 1,500 words is a lot easier to get a first-place in google. But you have to know how to construct the hub to effectively monetize it - so your shopper stays focused.

Basically it's a trade-off. BTW I love Habee's 6,500 word hub and I would leave it as one hub. Not everything needs to follow a formula. I believe in diversity in EVERYTHING. We should all learn how to work with all lengths of writing, because we never know when the search engines will decide that they favor a different length.

On my own websites I have a lot of very short pages, that do very well for me. (Marissa the 2K is out-of-date smile)

26. profile image0
    sord87posted 13 years ago

a hub about 1500 is just enough to appear in google 1st page but the best to write is around 1000-1200 words.Make sure to stress on a keyword that will definitely boost your ranking in google page.Comments is the powerful factor to make it stay in google 1st 0r 2nd page!However to get commented is for sure to put your comment on others page first.As long as you make a stressful of any word it will be counted in Google Search Engine.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)