What does your family think of your hubbing?

Jump to Last Post 51-71 of 71 discussions (90 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

everyone in my family thinks it's a huge waste of time, since i have yet to see a penny from it.  however, it's one of the few places where I can be myself, and people actually LISTEN to me for once.  Where as in real life, most people tend to talk at me, and ignore everything i say.  Even if I'm right at something, im still wrong in people's eyes.  that's why i love hubpages as it's the only place where even if i'm wrong, people will still hear me out on my point of views.  something that means more to me than money.  although i won't lie, that was the EXACT reason i joined.  because i wanted to make money, but i got so much more in return that I didn't expect.  i guess what Im trying to say is...whatever makes you happy.  smile

1. mailxpress profile image50
      mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Stevennix2001,
      Yes, it's a great feeling when someone actually reads your Hubs and leaves a comment.  You've been heard.  I do agree.
      At first I thought my family and close friends were all for it but when they realized how long it takes to earn daily income they think it's joke.  I can read body language just fine.  I can also read between the lines.  At least once a week I make no phone calls, I make no plans and I work on writing online because I do feel in due time all of my efforts and hard work will pay off.

I've learned not to discuss my business with family and close friends.  It bothers me I support them with their business ventures but they don't support me.

I must share with you I don't use Hubpages alone to grow my Internet business.  I have hundreds and working toward to having thousands of URLs floating throughout the web to earn money online.  I also don't use Adsense only to earn revenue.

I'll never give up nor am I going anywhere.  I will continue to write to grow my Internet business and I will continue to read Hubs and join in on Forums here.  The community is great and I don't see Hubpages going anywhere but up.

2. H.C Porter profile image81
    H.C Porterposted 13 years ago

The consesus is- "Dont you have anything better to do?"  My family thinks it is a waste of time and make comments about it- but have lightened up a little bit lately since I make $$$ writing online...

3. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 13 years ago

My family loves it.  They love the extra cash it brings in.

4. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

My father has read some of my hubs if I have sent him the links but
    he hasn't said much about them only that he hopes I will find how to make more income here!

5. BumptiousQ profile image61
    BumptiousQposted 13 years ago

My wife likes it, my kids could care less (they're only interested in the comical kids' sci-fi novel I'm working on), my 17-year-old niece and her friends get a big kick out my 'Of Myth 'n Monsters' series, and my mom enjoys the hubs (although she qualifies it by saying, 'this isn't taking away from your other writing, is it?' meaning the freelance writing I get paid to do).   

Ultimately, they all know me well enough to know I'm going to do it if I feel like doing it, regardless of whether or not they approve.  And I don't mean that in an ill-tempered, mean-spirited way.   I'm extremely pleasant while sticking to my guns.   That's part of my charm (or so I'm told).

At any rate, I don't spend a ton of time on HubPages.  If I did, my wife wouldn't approve.  I wouldn't approve, either!  My life is already chock-full of  things I gladly do without being paid to do 'em -- being a dad, husband, lover, community volunteer, tending to my extensive gardens, writing my novel, etc.  But I truly would love to have more time for HubPages.  I dig the vibe here!.  In fact, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading the responses to this forum question -- a lot of heart 'n soul and 'real life' in the responses.  Thanks for sharing, everyone!

6. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

I really don't know as I don't think any of my family has ever read anything I have written. The people here are my family.

1. H.C Porter profile image81
      H.C Porterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

why do you think that this happens? My family doesnt really read what I write either? I try to share with them, but I never hear any feedback from anyone other than my spouse. I write columns for a news source online and I dont think that anyone (as in my parents or siblings) have read more than one (if any). Its as if it doesnt really matter at all-kinda hurts my feelings, specially when I try to share something I am proud of.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I feel that same way too, my sister and nieces are on Facebook and don't comment on anything I write either. I know in my sister's case it's because she see it as a cute hobby I have.

1. H.C Porter profile image81
          H.C Porterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i think it is sad and that our families are missing out on apart of who we are when we offer the links to what we would like to share with them and they cant find the time to look... i would have a heart attack if someone in my family posted a comment saying-great writing, or good job...lol, but i doubt that will ever happen

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
            Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Really smile In my family writing is not taken seriously.

2. carboncopyme profile image60
        carboncopymeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought the issue was that your relatives WOULD see what you wrote not that they wouldn't?
        I guess it depends on WHO reads what you wrote maybe?  I understand that.
        In college I was always careful--after the first time--to not share all my newspaper writing with my parents.  If I reviewed an album that had a questionable song title then THAT was all they focused on as opposed to my actual writing.
        So anyway I created an alter ego using the name of a character I played in a play and my folks never caught on and I NEVER had to get into any discussions about what was acceptable to write and so forth.

3. blondepoet profile image68
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes H.C it can kind of hurt. I think in my case in some of my stories they don't want to hear the truth. smile

4. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

im terribly sorry to hear that happens to you.  i don't know why your family wouldn't read your work, as your truly a great writer.  however, if it makes you feel better, i know how you feel, as nobody I told about my hubpages work in real life ever reads what i write either (except my brother and sister in law).  Everyone else kind of blows it off as a joke to them.  as i think the highest praise i ever got was from my ex-friend billy who said, "you know how you always k.k..kinda of retarded...well when you write you seem to say things a lot more intelligently."  Trust me, if you if you knew this guy like i did, that's the highest compliment he's EVER given to me, as everyone in real life seems to think the same way about me.  lol.  i guess online, im more articulate about things than i ever thought i was.  oh well.  go figure.  anyway, i guess what im trying to say through my ramblings is that you shouldn't let criticism get you down.  no, you think shakespeare was always well received?  or even leo tolstoy?  no, none of those guys were always well received by critics, but they did what they loved anyway.  As that's something you have to admire about them.  They did what they loved doing, and didn't give a damn about what everyone else thinks.  That's something to aspire to.  Therefore, if you love writing on hubpages because it makes you happy then by george, keep doing it.  Besides, it's your life and nobody elses.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

My family knows a little about my writing-- but I don't talk about it too much. They are either somewhat astounded, or only mildly interested.

What a strange lot we all are!
    Looking over the comments, it seems that this community plays a big part in providing the encouragement we desire.
    We all  seem aware  of the fact that not everyone around us is going to understand, and that's OK, but isn't it nice to have a place where people DO understand.

8. Freya Cesare profile image77
    Freya Cesareposted 13 years ago

My family think I am wasting my time, not just Hub Pages in particular but all blogging  and browsing internet too  /smile. "Internet not real life," they said. "You should hang out with human being not human inside computer!" Hey, for others who talk to me through internet I am human from computer too, but it doesn't make me less real! But I just smile and keep my mouth shut because it is useless try to make those who do not want to understand, to understand. Well, maybe because I am not making money more than $21 so they think it is useless. sad

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Follow your own star, Freya.  If you have something to say... this might be the right place to say it. You are the only one who knows.

1. Freya Cesare profile image77
        Freya Cesareposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I will, Rochelle. With all of my heart! smile Thank you.

9. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 13 years ago

My hubbing isn't something my family are very interested in. But the things I have learned and shared with them about internet marketing is something that has caught their interest. My children and I are starting a business. The youngest is ten!

Our weekly 'business' meetings are a blast.

My husband is very supportive, but too busy in his own business to get too involved in our's. My in-laws dig it, and a project or two with their business interests is in the future.

I'd say I have all the support one could want. What I need are more hours in a day. In lieu of that, a cleaning lady/laundress/nutritionist-cook would be highly acceptable.

10. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

My family are glad I am occupied and out of their hair and they could otherwise care less.  They are nice and nod and smile but they don't want to hear about the funny things or the great hubs I read or the stuff I write.  That is just the way those dick-heads are.  sorry.  I had to say it.  I have taken this as a green light for not paying any attention to any of the things that get their gagas going, and as a result we are all extremely happy and dull.  dull.  dull.  dull.   oh  got stuck there in the dullness - sorry.  But now I have my HubPages family, who are, not surprising, a lot like my other family!  smile  of course I am a little ocd and go on and on and on and on and . . .   here - somebody else say something!

11. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

"something".

1. mega1 profile image78
      mega1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

see!  now that's just like my family would do!

12. mistyhorizon2003 profile image87
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

Just found this "question" and read every single comment. I find it quite fascinating that so many of "us" get the same reactions from our families. My Husband never reads my hubs, in fact the only time he ever read any of them was when I wrote the one about Oliver Reed's adventures on Guernsey, and then he got all irate about the stuff I had revealed about his friendship with Oliver Reed and wanted me to delete the hub. This made me mad as I discovered he did delete it using my hubpages password to log in, fortunately I discovered what he had done later the same day, so re-published it before the content was lost forever, I then changed my password so he couldn't do anything like this again, (you can't imagine the row we had over him deleting my hub). On one other occasion he showed his  male mates at work a hub I wrote about Ladies fantasising about sex with other women, but other than this, zero interest in my writing other than when I tell him a payout from adsense is due.

My Sister does occasionally read hubs of mine and comment on them, but not as a matter of course, so not seriously interested.

Other than this, with the exception of the occasional hub I write that I deliberately show my Mum and Step Dad because it is on a topic that they might enjoy, I have no "followers" within my family and friends. My followers are all online one way or another.

Isn't it sad that our family and friends don't take us seriously when it comes to our writing, and don't look at the long term potential because they expect anything practical to show a good income from day one?!!!

1. profile image60
      logic,commonsenseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We loves ya here Misty!  We're your other family and we're proud of ya!

13. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

I've only told one friend about the site and that i'm writing - but haven't told her what it's called; but she asks me about the site - she's extremely curious; she finds what i have to say about it quite interesting.  I've told her all about the good people here..the good 'debates'..the fun...and of course all of you talented writers...and all of the varied writing interests...however she understands it's my private thing...private thoughts...one day I'll let her see....not now....for me, it's my special place.

14. PoeticLicense profile image59
    PoeticLicenseposted 13 years ago

My family has seen my name in print since I was a child.  That is no reason for them to be impressed.  However, when someone HIRES me to WRITE and then PAYS me to write something then THAT gets some positive response. 
    HP is no big deal to them.

15. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 13 years ago

Well the only family members that even care about what I do are also members of HP so I guess they are cool with it lol. Besides I don't really write much of anything worth anything. It's more a way for me to express myself without getting on someones nerves lol

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

aw come on.  i think you sell yourself too short there pinky. your one of the best writers on here hands down.  smile

1. profile image0
        pinkyleeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You really are too kind Steven and I really appreciate your kind words hun. smile

16. warchild75 profile image63
    warchild75posted 13 years ago

My wife does understand it after i explained what i was doing but never showed any real interest until i was getting deposits in my bank account.She has been asking recently if she should start doing it as in a year or two she could be earning as well,she has a lot she could write about as well.The problem would be finding time,we both work full time and i work weekends so i struggle to find any time to write!As for the rest of the family they just know i make a second wage writing online and thats it.

17. PoeticLicense profile image59

Yes!  If you are enjoying yourself it doesn't matter what your family says or doesn't say.
    We're all adults here.
    If you ever worry about offending anyone then simply open a new anonymous account.
    There are lots of those here from what i understand.

18. M.s Fowler profile image44
    M.s Fowlerposted 13 years ago

They are saying stop doing this on your free time! It's never going to pay off!

19. PoeticLicense profile image59

It will never pay off (monetarily) to the degree that some people tell you it will; that is true.  Some of these hardcore people paint way too rosy a picture regarding money . . . especially with a lot of top people who are no longer contributing here regularly or at all.  However, you might make some spending money AND it pays off in terms of keeping you HAPPY, right?
    If it makes you happy then your happiness should pay off for your whole family in that you will be a happier person to be around, see?

20. profile image0
    T_Diamondposted 13 years ago

Hi there,

My family is fine with me hubbing, as long as my eyes see more in a day than a computer screen wink

21. Alison Graham profile image93
    Alison Grahamposted 13 years ago

My daughter is very supportive and interested, she has helped me with two of my hubs about primary school as she is a teacher herself.  My husband thinks it is brilliant and I think he is quite proud of what I have written - though we do have a laugh each morning over our cup of tea as the first thing I do each day is to check my google adsense earnings - I am now earning a little bit every day but I am still waiting to earn enough for my first pay-cheque!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)