Do you write for purposes other than money...

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (34 posts)
  1. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

Money could be one .. what else motivates you to do what you do, here at HP

1. britneydavidson profile image61
      britneydavidsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I write to share my knowledge with you all. Money is 2nd part.

2. proudmamma profile image82
    proudmammaposted 13 years ago

When I started writing on HB, it was to see what I was capable of doing. Then it became an outlet of expression. I enjoy the challenge of seeing what I can do.

3. MPG Narratives profile image59
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

I write for the enjoyment of it, the money is now secondary. In my younger years I had to write for money but these days I prefer to write about what I want and enjoy that so much more.

4. Joe Badtoe profile image60
    Joe Badtoeposted 13 years ago

I don't write for money I'm not interested in whoring myself for the sake of advertising. The offline world is already saturated with inane drivel in print and on screen and the online world is getting to be as tedious.

I understand why folk want to condition their writing to include the right words/links etc but for me that's not writing that's simply taking instructions from a commercial venture.

This contaminates creativity in my view.

No offence intended to Hubbers who actively pursue the money.

1. Peter Hoggan profile image68
      Peter Hogganposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think you will offend anyone, even though you deliberately elected your hubs 'commercial' and display ads.

Cynical?

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
        Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well given that I have little clue or interest how those ads work and it appears impossble to have an ad free page what can I do ther than leave the site?

I haven't earnt a dime and have lttle ntention of chasing a paycheck. I joined this site becasue it seemed lke a good idea at the time and somewhere else to let others see what you write.

I am cynical too!!

2. sofs profile image77
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Strong views indeed!  You have a valid point there!

3. Flightkeeper profile image66
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Are you independently wealthy?  According to your definition, if you earn money, you whore yourself out in some form.  You also have a limited definition of creativity.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Second to money?

I write for practice. I plan to publish a book eventually (and maybe one day more than one). So I want to learn what works, what doesn't, as well as read and get feedback from other writers.

I believe writing information and reviews is far easier than writing fiction or biographical material - so the former is just practice for now.

1. Joe Badtoe profile image60
      Joe Badtoeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

second to money indeed! I get paid for writing stuff that I originate and thqat I have control over. This limits some commercial opportunities but then I've never chased money because I've seen what it can do to people.

It troubles me that the main publishers have a format and writers have to conform to that format in order to sell books. The death of independent bookstores will be the death of original artists in my opinion. There seems to be no classics written anymore because the money has taken over the idea.

Cynical I know but that's my experience thus far.

2. sofs profile image77

WryLilt  I also do this to sharpen my skills, I haven't written after my college mag.......... absolutely out of touch!!
      Its nice to know, that how differently people look at the same thing!

6. saleheensblog profile image60
    saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

i write for pleasure.In my own language i am very good to write at.Now i want to develop my English skill.I don't think about money.

7. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I love writing for just about any purpose. My favorite is to make readers laugh!

1. sofs profile image77

Wow! habee i want to read your stuff, I don't have great sense of humor when it comes to writing.
      Need to learn more!  big_smile big_smile

8. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image85
    Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 13 years ago

I guess I just write when I feel an urge or need to write.  So I'm never going to be able to fit myself into the right mindset for succeeding at making money.  I have tried to do the keysearch thing twice.  It went pretty well because I could still write the particular article  I had in mind.

9. Joy56 profile image67
    Joy56posted 13 years ago

i don't really write for money.  I write as i enjoy it, too selfish i think to write to please an audience, and certainly far too lazy,

I write on hub pages, because of the inter change of encouragement.....  Being amongst friends, is a great inspiration.

1. sofs profile image77

Wonderful perspective  smile

10. Tim_511 profile image76
    Tim_511posted 13 years ago

I write for both.  Making money would be great (although I'm too new to be making any yet) and is the reason that I found hubpages, but I like writing about interesting subjects.

Also, I'm not that great of a non-technical writer (too many scientific papers) and I'm trying to get better at it.

11. 4elements profile image65
    4elementsposted 13 years ago

I just write to write. I enjoy it have been doing it since I was a child. I started out with poetry, and moved up to short stories. My friends who read my stuff love to do so. Maybe they do it because they love me, but I believe them when they say that it is good and they enjoyed it. I love getting feedback, the good the bad and the ugly. If I make money on it great if I don't great. To me writting is fun. Peace, love, and light!

12. Chaotic Chica profile image60
    Chaotic Chicaposted 13 years ago

When I first found hubpages, I was looking for a place to express my views and share my experiences through written word in hopes of helping somebody else understand that the things I have been through are not singular events exclusive to me.  I also wanted to get back into the swing of writing again as I have been away from it for too long.
    Finding out that it might be possible to earn a little something extra in doing so was merely a bonus for me, not a deciding factor.  I really enjoy writing and love the interaction and feedback from others letting me know what works or doesn't work.  big_smile

13. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

if you have wings you have to fly...

14. jacobkuttyta profile image44
    jacobkuttytaposted 13 years ago

just to improve my writing

1. sofs profile image77

I keep saying that all the time, I love to polish my skills, what is the use of a tool in a tool box if it is not cleaned , sharpened and ready for work.
      I am cleaning and sharpening my rusty tools here.

15. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

I write about all sorts of things.  I write because I need to - I get ill otherwise!

1. sofs profile image77

This is the first time I have heard of this.........

Addicted to the core, You have withdrawal symptoms!  big_smile

16. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I write only to make money. I do it full time, it's my job. Others write all kinds of stuff in their office and cubicles, I happen to write online. smile

17. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 13 years ago

I write because I love to write.  I write as part of recreation, work, income, education and health.

18. Cordale profile image72
    Cordaleposted 13 years ago

It amazes me to think about how much knowledge we all have stored up in our brains. Whether it is from personal experience, research, or being able to see things from different angles. I'm not going to lie to you and say I don't write for money, but I think we should all strive to put all of this personal knowledge out on the internet to make the world a smarter place.

19. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Sharing info and because I am a creative person!

20. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

I like to write first and the fact that I can earn money from it is amazing because writing is a competitive business.

21. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 13 years ago

I write to clear out my mind and soul....

22. DebtFreedom profile image75
    DebtFreedomposted 13 years ago

I write to practice my writing. I'm just at home talking to babies most of the time so I noticed my vocabulary and how quickly I made sentences were deteriorating so I thought I needed something to help me with that.

1. sofs profile image77

I know the feeling, I have vegetated a while and I 've had to shake myself from the stupor before I got the courage to do any thing useful !!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)