New Picture

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

I felt it was time for a change, and I wanted to try to implement more features of things I write about. I put my new baby leachianus gecko on my glasses, on a dog book.

The gecko, represents my reptile hubs; the dog represents the dog hubs; the glasses represent everything else.

I wasn't sure how to incorporate the hamster, rat, and chinchilla hubs, or the sales hubs, so I figured this would do.

I hope the gecko doesn't deter anyone from my hubs. I will have to watch out.

I hate that I had to crop out how cute his little legs were when holding onto my glasses, so here it is in full

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee106/goReptiles/avatarhp.jpg

1. saleheensblog profile image61
      saleheensblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ohh, I could never find out the meaning if it was not explained.

2. hublim profile image68
    hublimposted 13 years ago

Great picture, I’m glad you had such a wonderful model to work with.

3. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Yep - great picture/idea. I never really thought of gecko's as cute. Though the wrap-around leg look is very endearing smile

4. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I've been thinking of changing my avatar as well but haven't come up with a suitable replacement yet. 

Glad you explained it Whitney, because I'm not quite sure I would have figured out what it was.  He's a cutie, though!

5. Whitney05 profile image82

Thanks..

Weird thing is that I just logged on and my old picture is showing again. I had to reupload the new one again.
    http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee106/goReptiles/didntupdate.jpg

Anyone think the new one will deter visitors who aren't fans of reptiles?

1. profile image0
      Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I will be the first to run away, sorry...

6. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Yes... I changed my avatar also...
    This one best illustrates my impeccible breeding! smile
    I hated having to crop my legs (and things) just for the pic also! I was soooo hoping to use them some time in the future hmm big_smile

@MM Love your WollyGog.... I had one like that smile

Ooooo If I were a Bee... I would buzzzz all over your petals Megs smile

7. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

The nice thing about Hub Pages avatars -- like hairdos -- is that they can be changed!
    If you get comments or questions about the new one you can always change back or make another.
    I know -- how about a gecko riding on the back of a dog and they're both wearing glasses!
    While you're staging the shot you might also end up with an entry for Animal Planet big_smile!

8. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I am now a dahlia instead of a kitten, and I notice no one talks to me anymore.  Probably because talking to flowers is considered a little ditsy.  oh well.

9. GmaGoldie profile image80
    GmaGoldieposted 13 years ago

Whitney,

Perhaps I don't like change but I have to say I prefer the old photo.  Not that my vote counts....

Love the etymology of the new photo - needed those details.

10. Whitney05 profile image82

Hmm..  I don't think that the picture has much play on traffic and earnings, but we will see.

I just got tired of having my face on the hubs. I don't want to be recognized for them. I have had a few people run into me, as say they saw my hubs.

One guy is my dad's friend, and he was doing a search for sorbet recipes, and I have two hubs with recipes. Another guy, who came into my job, saw my receptionist hub.

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good points.  I started HP with a picture of my face as my avatar, but after a couple of months I changed.

I love the close-up picture of the gecko, especially after the explanation of it; but to be honest, as an avatar-sized picture it is hard to grasp.  That is, I would not have known what it is without your description, and initially I found it puzzling rather than endearing as I do find it now.  I also am not able to see the dog book you mention.

At this point, my thought is that this picture would work perfectly within your gecko Hubs, but I have reservations about using it as your avatar.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)