Can religion ever be discussed without getting emotional?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (65 posts)
  1. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

Is it possible to have open minded debate on religion..god or not god..Christ or Muhammad or Buddha..is it possible that every one puts his/her point of view and people can discuss without ridiculing , attacking or defending their own beliefs..or being human emotional attachment is inevitable?

1. aka-dj profile image66
      aka-djposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is. But it depends on the emotional maturity of the contributor.

I have neve responded provocatively, unlesshed beyond reason by less self controlled opponents. I will hold a civil dibate with anyone who offers the same curtesy.

Being called a religionist, poor thinker, irrational etc does NOT help. I assure you!

Lets see how you go from here. big_smile

pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

well i didn't just mean people who believe in religion only..even atheist become so emotional at times defending their own version ...i am talking about discussing religion by humans from all school of thoughts...

I don't "believe in religion"!

And I did think of all schools of thought when I posted the above comment.

okie..i got that..so your take is that it is possible to have good debate

Absolutely!

Why not?

I don't try and "convert" anyone, and I certainly won't be converted.
              I'm actually very settled in what I believe, and why.

2. profile image0
              Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was meaning all schools of thought too. Perhaps having had a bad experience can influence too?  I mainly discuss/debate things with the christians because I have been immersed in christianity & I'm interested if they can give any decent answers to the questions over the years.  I don't know a lot about the other religions

2. profile image0

yes, the emotinal maturity as well as the personality style and life experience of the contributor

2. rdlang05 profile image86
      rdlang05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think its hard, but not impossible.  I think the key is trying to come into the discussion not trying to prove you're right and the other person is wrong, but rather, seeking to increase the understanding of everyone and being able to accept that just because people hold different views (hopefully) doesn't mean they don't respect you as a person any less.

I see this all the time in atheists AND Christians.  Stop trying to convert each other and just dialogue in love.  In all reality peoples minds most likely aren't gonna be changed in a forum.  It happens... but not when you call names and cast stones.

1. profile image56
        exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

as I discuss my feelings, My ideas on Christ, I am always being accused of trying to convert others, I can discuss my religion calmly most of the time when I start getting attacked I leave the thread, but I think that is what they want

1. rdlang05 profile image86
          rdlang05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Than give them what they want.  All  you can do is express your views respectfully.  If they attack you in an attempt to make you leave, then the burden of culpability lies on them.  Atheists accuse Christians of being overzealous... but the fact is we're both to blame.  A man with a closed mind is not worth talking to.

1. profile image56

like I have posted before, I talk to any one as long as they stay respectful, and is willing to listen as well as talk, a conversation has to be a two way street

3. Beelzedad profile image58
      Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That depends. Although scriptures were written by men many centuries ago, believers take them on as if they were part of their own bodies or characteristics of themselves, hence any debate is taken quite personal. In other words, criticizing scriptures is the same as criticizing the person, even though the two are completely separate and distinctive entities. smile

1. hanging out profile image61
        hanging outposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"In other words, you believe the laws of physics were easily violated because a book written by men who were steeped in myths and superstitions told you so".
        "Yes, believers keep providing the same contradictions in a vain attempt to explain a contradiction. Funny, how when things go the way they want, believers praise their gods, but when prayers are not answered, it's all mans fault".
        "And yet, it is the atheists who are accused of having a closed mind"
        "Prayers are just wishes. Believers are steeped in myth and superstition, believing in magical kingdoms and things that go bump in the night. Their prayers are just a form of wishing, and when things happen the way they wish, they believe their prayers have been answered"
        These are your posts beelzedad, strange how you sounded so nice in this thread. Want a hanky for that egg?
        Course if earnest were here i would have numerous examples of "sky fairy" to copy and paste.
        Take the mote out of your own eye before you even bother to accuse us of being out of the nice zone.

1. Beelzedad profile image58
          Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny how you always seem to offer only "emotional" insults to your posts and nothing of value to the thread topic.

Wait a minute, yes, you did... smile

Shoe fits
            lol lol lol

maybe this, ahemm, cough, cough, advice you offer is best practiced by yourself.

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

it really depends on if the two people talking are open minded or not. if one or both of them are too set in their ways, then there's really no point in discussing it, as neither side is going to really listen to the other's point of view and vice versa.  Hence, it's a wast of time and breath.  However, if BOTH parties are willing to keep an open mind and actually LISTEN to the other's argument, then it's possible.

1. profile image56

even listening to the opposition we can learn and strenghten our own position

1. profile image0

i just said that if you read what i said....

1. profile image56

I was agreeing with you, I am sorry

2. profile image0

i just said that if you read what i said....

1. profile image56

I was agreeing with you and speaking from experience, I am sorry

1. profile image0

oh sorry.  i misread what you said. I thought you were implying something else. my bad.

2. profile image0

my observation also - and in the process, venom and bile is ejected

5. Woman Of Courage profile image61
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the maturity level of a person. All a christian has to do is open a thread discussing their beliefs about God, the bible, prayer, or anything related to God, and some of the unbelievers barge in and start war. There is no excuse for this.

1. profile image0

if you only want the christians, then maybe you should find a closed forum eg on yahoo?

There is also no excuse for christians to attack people that don't agree with them

1. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Unbelievers are highly welcome to participate. My message was referring to the personal attacks and insults from people who don't believe in God. Please don't twist my words. I have not seen any christian attacking anyone for not not believing in God. I believe in respect. Have a good night.

1. profile image0

I was referred to as "the enemy" on another forum.  When a skeptic asked a question, a "christian" said, "I hear the devil speaking..."  There are other similar references made by "christians" that act very superior with a "them" and "us" - I even read some hateful hubs by these christians, referring to unbelievers as swines and devils etc. 

People with other views have been called "satan".  If you can't see these things as attacks, then I'm clearly wasting my time.

I doubt the judgemental "christians" on here will even be able to see that they are behaving in this way, and actually repelling people, not atracting them. 

I have come across a few decent christians that can actually see where I'm coming from

1. profile image56

I can agree with ya, but the some of the non-believers can and and do get just as mean tounged

1. profile image0

true - I've observed mud been thrown both ways

1. profile image56

AMEN on that

2. hanging out profile image61

Just like you disliked your church and blame them for your present stance in life, some christians have likewise experiences with the unsaved. As most unsaved like to express their dislike for christianity in not a few long phrases, so some christians expect to also be able to express themselves in the same way. Sorry if this is perceived as UNchristian but when sinners are tossed into the lake of fire will their last words be, "well, that was very unchristian of God".
              lol (that one always cracks me up)
              Often with the unsaved, they expect to be treated like surprise roses at the door while they offer harsh, demeaning criticisms, rude comments and purport the most ridiculous statements as truth.
              Each christian is in a state of growth. Perhaps your attitude was the launch pad for a new sprout on the vine. Perhaps some christian thought what you said was terrible. Some people have to grow a sense of forum decorum and that takes time. Atheists are truly the rudest of any group that posts.

3. Woman Of Courage profile image61

Baileybear, I am not disagreeing with the messages you have read in the forums or in the christian hubs. Maybe the person had a good reason for saying they heard the devil talking. I didn't see the question, therefore I can't say if that person were attacked. I politely posted a comment to you once, stating I hope you come back to Jesus before it's too late. You were offended and falsely accuse me of preaching at you. Would you say my statement were an attack on you? I hope not. I will not speak for any judgemental christians you are referring to. I am not judgemental and I am fully aware of my behavior.

6. H P Roychoudhury profile image41
      H P Roychoudhuryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we can discuss the religion, the existence of God and the science in the affairs of life in a free mind set. Let us begin with the origin of religion. How and when the word 'Religion' is appeared in the Globe?

7. hanging out profile image61

Until we quote the good book.
      lol

whats the good book...book is book..good or bad is mere reader's point of view...

see what i mean
          lol

8. LeslieAdrienne profile image70
      LeslieAdrienneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, it is not possible.....

2. sim0n30 profile image61
    sim0n30posted 13 years ago

I think in some ways religion is based on emotion so it is very hard to discuss on an unemotional level.

3. fayehelen profile image56
    fayehelenposted 13 years ago

If somebody believes in a religion it is usually the main part of their life - they live by their religion's values and scriptures, and believe that it is the right way to live. So if somebody disagrees and questions their beliefs by believing in another religion or by being an athiest, of course they are going to defend it and get emotional, if religion is such a big part of their life - its natural.

4. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Can religion ever be discussed without getting emotional?

Of course not, some emotion is going to be used, in some manner or capacity.

Religion is nothing but an emotional response to fear of the unknown, to begin with.

Fear of the unknown is a common and natural response in just about all of us.
      Once you get to know (Him), then fear is gone.
      I don't love or have faith in Christ because of fear.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I didn't say anything about how or why you came to your conclusion. I was speaking to the reason "religion" came into existence. I would thought that was obvious.

Maybe you should do a little bit more in-depth reading, besides that of a bible, for which, you claim to have no association with.

You cannot claim to read a bible, and not be part of religion.

1. Jerami profile image59
          Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly !!!   I read my operators manuel that came with my car.    I am a mechanic now.

2. hanging out profile image61

show us the love that your belief gives you, cagsil.
          I am astounded at the softness of your tender mercies.
          lol

5. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

Yes, it is possible.  It does require maturity and the capability to conduct oneself with integrity and respect during a debate.  Also, it helps (but I suppose is not mandatory) to not already have decided that "you know the truth."

People who participate in "debates" over topics in which they believe they already "know" the "truth" are not really debating so much as trying to convert or win--this holds just as true for the arguments of atheists as it does for people championing a religious view.

Debate is supposed to be the mutual pursuit of truth SEEKING.  Two sides bring their understandings together and, through the process of determining what both sides DO agree to be true, begin establishing a platform of mutuality acknowledged truth.

It is not about winning.

The ontological debate for God, if pursued respectfully (which it has been done a zillion times in the last 3,000 years) typically ends up with the agreement that "we just don't know" at the end.  It's an impasse with one side pointing to inexplicable marvels as evidence FOR, and the other side pointing to previously inexplicable marvels now explicated as evidence AGAINST.

At which time, participants must just pick a side (on Faith or faith) or they must decide that there is no final answer to be had.

The atheist just doesn't know.
      Anyone who has the guts to jump into christianity soon knows.
      Do you think we are all in this because we do not know?
      God may not fill our rooms with light or we may not be punching demons, but we know.
      We sense his wishes, He leads us to places for purposes we discover later.
      The sinners prayer is a wonderful door that leads to marvellous truth.
      We know
      You bet we know.
      If christ be not risen, then lets party and make merry, for if christ be risen not, then all for Him is in vain.

your proving others wrong doesnot allow discussion...your premise should be open ness ..what is I am wrong ...if that is your stand discussion can occur and so applies to atheist too..I am right might serve egos but not discussion...

well then get right. When a person is wrong, they are wrong. The bible says they are wrong and wrong is wrong. There really is no discussion as the questions that are being answered correctly are baby questions. There is not room for theological debate. The answer is just that the answer.
          When a question has been answered there is not discussion, because any discussion will lead back to the same answer.

6. wingedcentaur profile image65
    wingedcentaurposted 13 years ago

I think it is possible. It would be ideal if all involved could indeed, for the sake of discussion, put their own personal beliefs to one side, and take the attitude of scientists, critically and impartially studying molecules in a laboratory. Another ideal precondition would be if all parties involved could adhere to the Socratic ideal. The purpose of inquiry should be for all discussion partners to arrive at enlightenment TOGETHER! As Shadesbreath says, it is not about "winning" or "losing" the debate, but most people who talk about religion can't seem to lay down their flag, so what you get is mean-spirited, incoherent, repetitive jibberish most of the time.

1. profile image56

you do have Christians getting mean-spirited,incoherent,repetitive jibberish some times but if you read these threads you will see that it is the non-believers doing the attacking.
      Just look back at the threads, the non-believers do not want to talk about the thread, they want to attack the Christians

1. profile image0

it goes both ways.  I want to know things and ask questions - some believers get defensive and make sarcastic comments back. Sometimes I do challenge their doctrine, by asking hard questions.  I don't deserve to be treated like a piece of sh!t in return. 

I've just had some very mean-spirited comments left on my hub by a "christian"

1. profile image56

The people doing that is not Christian, they just say they are, sometimes I get tired of  the mean comments I try to get off the threads before I say something that I do not really want to say

1. profile image0

I don't get mad easily, but I gave a very judgemental "christian" a lashing for leaving hateful comments on my hub

1. profile image56

evil for evil does not do any good at all

7. profile image0
    AMBASSADOR BUTLERposted 13 years ago

Yes by being love by being peace by being free.

8. profile image0
    Rookie70posted 13 years ago

Christians and Atheists both are like in one way, they're both human, and humans are emotional beings. The difference lies in the thoughts and beliefs that trigger those emotions. Christians are zealous about their beliefs, and Aheists are zealoous about their beliefs. Let's consider the life of a gangster who believes in defending his territory from rival gangsters. They believe that it is the duty of a gangster to defend his territory, but in the eyes of a Christian, this is nothing but human agenda based on falshood, and the immoral justification to carry out more violence on another man, i.e, driveo-by shootings, fights, and etc. One thing Atheists and Christians can agree on is that violence on those terms are not civil, nor is it moral. Yet, the gangsters will justify violence. Likewise, some Atheists are extremists, they're the people who spit in the face of preachers, hit them with their fist, and think that what they do is right. And for the Atheists who support such extremists may as well conform to that behavior themselves. On the other hand, there are "self-professed" Christians who are nothing more than extremists. They are the people who blow up abortion clinics, make threats to people who don't agree with them, and they form so-called "Christian" hate groups (see youtube).

The truth is, Christians and Atheists can't both be right. Somebody is right and somebody is wrong. One side does not believe in "absolute," and the other side believes in an absolute. Either there is an absolute or there isn't. There is a God, or there isn't. Another thing Christians and Atheists can agree on is that there is light, it exists, but there is also darkness, and it exists as well. We both know that light and darkness can't be associated together, they have nothing in common with the other. An Atheist can't be won over by debate, and neither can a true Christian.

Trying to convert or conform the other person to your beliefs is like trying to change the spots in your underwear. Everybody knows that when they take off their underwear, there are spots that will always be there. That doesn't change. That is the nature of the human body. Likewise, Christians are conformed to one nature, and Atheists are conformed to a different nature. If you pick up a scorpion, it will sting you, because that is the nature of a scorpion. That is why I know what to expect when I debate an Atheists, I expect to get stung.

1. alternate poet profile image68
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The truth is, Christians and Atheists can't both be right

Well actually - they can.  The issue is only in the interpretation, in a few thousand years from now the 'idea' of god and the 'idea' of the energy in the universe will probably be much the same - just nothing like the religious folk think it will be.

is that a prediction.
        If so you disallow for the return of Christ to fulfill the 10 prophesies that remain.
        bible is like 800 complete to 10 yet to be completed.
        Hows your ration for predicting?

9. hanging out profile image61
    hanging outposted 13 years ago

Depends on the crap atheists try to pass as truth.
    lol

10. maruthirp profile image58
    maruthirpposted 13 years ago

If we consider humanity be the first religion we will never be emotional. Actually religious beliefs were tampered by some selfish people. If we understand the religion in proper way we will never be emotional.

you have a point..in end all religions are same at core..no matter how much people disagree...crux is same and religions were born to serve humanity ..it is not otherwise...religion is for human and came into being after human came into being...no other species has religion ...it should never come between two human's ability to have good repo...

wrong LOL
        all religions are not same at core. They CLAIM to be same. They CLAIM to lead to God. But only Jesus leads to God. God is the father of Jesus and Jesus is the son of the Father, who is Yahweh, who is God the creator of heaven and earth. The Crucifixion of Christ on the cross IS the CORE of Christianity.

11. profile image55
    hanbergsposted 13 years ago

God didn't promote a religion..The most important thing here is we believe in one GOD and having an intimate relationship with HIM.

12. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

Of course religion can be discussed without being emotional - it is just a crutch for the weak minded who are unable to grasp anything more complex than an old rule book. See, unemotional and clear.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)