What is good about getting old?

Jump to Last Post 51-77 of 77 discussions (129 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

oh i just thought of something thats great about getting old.  is that you finally have an excuse for not remembering birthdays and aniversaries now because you can always blame it on your aging memory.  plus, you can complain all you want, and nobody is going to say jack to you about it.  anyway, i hope that helps.

2. profile image0
    AnnaFaithposted 14 years ago

My dear mother-in-law was a dynamic lady who always had some kind of project going. The kind of person who couldn't sit still. Very creative, very involved.

She's in her eighties now, and health issues prevent her from living life as she once did.

She struggles to not be bitter, but will tell anyone who will listen that the idea that as you age, you enter into the "golden years" is a crock of ----.

It breaks my heart.

3. Quilligrapher profile image72
    Quilligrapherposted 14 years ago

Earnest, a sagging body does not mean you are getting old.
    Aching bones do not necessarily mean you are getting old.
    Even poor eyesight, dentures and a hearing aid do not mean you are getting old.
    Just because you only glance once at a beautiful young lady does mean you are getting old.
    But since you asked, I would say talking about getting old means you are getting old and I refuse to say anything more on this subject.  Get well, my friend. tongue

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much! smile

4. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 14 years ago

Yesterday is history ..... tomorrow , a mystery ..... Today is a Gift that is why we call it the Present . smile And that's all I have to say about that smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is quite clever. smile

5. wyanjen profile image69
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

I saw this on a different site tonight, came back to share:

“As you grow old, you lose interest in sex, your friends drift away and your children often ignore you. There are other advantages of course, but these are the outstanding ones.”

Take it easy smile

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'd like to point out that I'm not willing to call myself "old" yet, but I'm not young either.  Having said that (and at an age when 20-year-olds undoubtedly would think I'm "old")...

I think the good thing about getting (shall we say) "mature" is discovering that I don't feel any different than I did when I wasn't "mature" - and yet I'm wiser.   smile (Of course, there are those fine lines that show up under the eyes.  That's the bad part of being "mature".)

7. dianacharles profile image61
    dianacharlesposted 14 years ago

When I was a teen, everyone over 25 was decrepit. And then when I was in my thirties, everyone who was 45 and over was ancient.
    Now I am in my late 40's, I consider everyone over 65 old.

I don't think I will ever grow old...but everyone else will. tongue

Checklist -
    You know you are old when...
    Happy hour is a nap.
    You begin every other sentence with, "Nowadays..."
    You constantly talk about the price of gasoline.
    You don't remember when your wild oats turned to shredded wheat.
    Getting lucky means you find your car in the parking lot.
    The little gray-haired lady you help across the street is your wife.
    Your idea of weight lifting is standing up.
    Your secrets are safe with your friends because they can't remember them either.
    Your ears are hairier than your head.
    You have a party and the neighbors don't even realize it.   
    You talk about "good grass" and you're referring to someone's lawn.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol.  thats funny

8. zzron profile image58
    zzronposted 14 years ago

Long life is what life is all about.

9. Faybe Bay profile image65
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

no one can tell you what to do, and my boss said when I am really old I can live with my kids and move all their stuff around while they're at work. (That's what they do when they visit, rearrange my stuff so it's more logical...)

10. profile image0
    LegendaryHeroposted 14 years ago

The only good thing I see about getting old is retirement.

11. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

its good that I can pretend to be a sweet little old lady!

12. Faybe Bay profile image65
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

I didn't know you were pretending. Better go check out that e-mail agin.

13. Mike Lickteig profile image75
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

I don't consider myself all that old yet, although I have absent-mindedly put the salt and pepper shakers away in the refrigerator. 

One good thing about getting old that I've watched my elderly parents unwittingly unleash on restuarants is:   you can mix and match on a restaurant menu, knowing the wait staff would rather give you what you asked for than spend the time trying to get you to order what's printed on the menu. 

Perhaps as a penalty for this privilege, restaurant hosts seat older folks as far to the back of the restaurant as they can possibly get them.  The extra walk is the price paid for viewing every menu item as ala carte.

14. grannygoodearth profile image60
    grannygoodearthposted 14 years ago

Although I am in full agreement about losing one's physical prowess, there are some small advantages to getting old.

For one thing, little problems are not so traumatic or dramatic as they once were.

I've learned (after MANY years) to give myself permission to say "no".

I've found peace in little things like petting my old dog or listening to my horse breathe close to my ear.

I have found that if I don't already own it, I probably don't need it.

I've learned that it is easier to be kind that it is to be cruel plus I like myself better. (If I don't like me, who will besides my dog and my horse!)

I've learned that whenever I feel that life has been unfair to me or that by body has failed me, I remember the little children who will never walk or run or live a normal life. Then I kick myself for being so selfish.

Yeah, I hate old age, the wrinkles, the bad back, the diseases but it is like everything else: it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Hope you feel better!
    Granny

15. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

You gain more respect when you begin to mature and you are wiser then you were when you were younger, well all of us think that anyway! lolololo big_smile

16. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

As I approach my 50th , the best thing I can say about getting older is that I am fortunate to get there !

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well Congrats Tony!!! The big 50 I am glad that you are getting there too! smile

1. tony0724 profile image59
        tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thx AE !

I hope that I see 50 too!!! The way this world is only God knows.smile

1. tony0724 profile image59
            tony0724posted 14 years agoin reply to this

AE I love ya dearly so I hope you get wau past 50 !

me too!!! smile

17. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

wisdom, hopefully good health, and more respect than you get when you are younger.

18. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Oh and another thing! Getting bashed up all the time by toddlers! My twin granddaughters (now almost 5) have head butted, (you know where) they are just the right height! Bitten and bashed me for years now! I have more injuries from playing with grand kids than I got racing motorcycles!

19. pooja0908 profile image60
    pooja0908posted 14 years ago

You can be relaxed

20. defenestratethis profile image60
    defenestratethisposted 14 years ago

I like having a bad memory that is rapidly getting worse, because everything that shouldnt come as a surprise acually IS a surprise. Also at this age, I dont give a crap about what other people think of me. Clothes? Who cares..as long as theyre comfortable. Adhering to social norms and/or 'keeping up with the jones's'? Ive got better things to do, like standing in raptous wonder at the sight of the moon, the sky, or just about anything else. Im gona follow the advice of an old friend who recently died at age 103. When they asked her to what she owed her vitality to at age 102, she said "Keep your mind full and your bowels empty."

21. yenajeon profile image70
    yenajeonposted 14 years ago

Considering I'm deathly afraid of aging, I can think of nothing. I blame my mother who religiously avoided straws, the sun, alcohol and smoking, and sweets.
    And she had an intense religious regimen every morning and night just for her skin!

Eek!

22. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 14 years ago

I hate having to wear reading glasses (no offense to anyone who wears glasses)
    I forget to take them with me when I go somewhere that I Just Know I'm going to NEED them!

23. profile image0
    china manposted 14 years ago

Best thing about being old is that my next family will be my last. Not that it hasn't been fun before, twice, but this time I doubt if I will live long enough to screw it up !!

24. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

You can b**** all the time, and be lazy, and nobody will say anything as they'll just say behind your back.."He's old and confused" tongue lol

25. barryrutherford profile image74
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

I figure I am around your age. I can strongly  reccomend doing weight sessions(not too heavy) & Yoga which I have started to hub about.  My body is incredibly starting  to renew itself on how it use to look and how it felt.

26. christiansister profile image60
    christiansisterposted 13 years ago

Aging to me is a type of freedom. And a new life perspective. To me it seems that the older I get the more...

I stop looking outside for confirmation.

I stop looking inside to form all my ideas.

I learn to see others points of view more easily.

I am a lot less judgmental.

I don't really care to awfully much about what others think of me.

It is sad to watch Father Time trek across my body, but it also helps me to slow down and take a look around and enjoy another season of life.

I love the Peace and Calm that has developed inside of me. these things do not normally come until we are forced to slow down and try new things.

27. qwark profile image59
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

Hey Earn:
    How about a "senior" coffee at Mickey D's?
    See ya tomorrow mornin' at 7:00 AM with the rest of us "old guys."
    Free re-fills too! Dang!
    Qwark smile:

1. christiansister profile image60
      christiansisterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How old do you have to be for the free coffee?

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

...too old to leave the house. Coffee's free at home in your wheel chair    smile:

Qwark, along with a select few, you have made me LOL many times in several threads. You are great to discuss and debate things with.

1. qwark profile image59
            qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

TY Sister...I think!  smile: (Depends on whether yer laughing at me or with me...lol)
            Qwark

Does it matter, A laugh is a great gift to give someone. But, actually I was not laughing at you but at your wit. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)