Are Christians wrongly judged for being Competitive?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (56 posts)
  1. profile image0
    pettidee456posted 13 years ago

Reply to this

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi pedttidee, Speaking for me personally, I don't have a need to compete with someone. I have observed that christians have been judged because of the actions of other people.

2. CarolineVABC profile image69
      CarolineVABCposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello pettidee456

No one should judge anybody, but God.  Evolutionists or anyone other than Christians think that Christians are the ones who judge people.  It may be true to some extent, but this is a "general" statement and not all Christians are this way.  I believe that every Christian has his/her own personal relationship with God and no religion or person can take that away.  Stay close to God and He will reveal answers to your questions personally.  Hope this helps!:-) God bless!:-)

3. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Competitive in what way?
      Christians are judged (often wrongly)for most everything they do or say or don't do or say!

And while I agree with someone here who said others will "see" Christ in us and want to be like us,  that's only partly true.
      The original disciples had followers, yes, but most of them were actually killed (as Jesus was) for their announcements and teachings about repentance and Faith.   So, the world isn't gonna love nor respect every Christian just because they're non-controversial and meek.  That's just not how it works at all.  The subject of Christ is a very challenging one, a very important one.  There's no secret formula that will make a Christian loved by everyone.

1. CarolineVABC profile image69

I agree with you, Brenda! As a matter of fact, the opposite is true.  Jesus was persecuted even though He did not commit a crime.  The world hated Him, so the world will hate Christians or His followers, as well.  Of course, as we "shine our lights" into this world, we hope that there will be some people who will be touched by it and decide to follow Christ:-).

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So - even though you are well aware that "sticking your nose into other people's business" and trying to convert other people to your religion will cause ill will and fights and wars - you still do it.

Why don't you actually follow Christ and lead by example instead of causing so many fights? sad

1. profile image51
            paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christians follow Paul and Church; they never followed teachings of Jesus.

A good advice from you.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
              Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aww - thank you. Perhaps you could stop causing conflicts by attacking those who do not believe the rubbish you believe as well?

No religion = one less reason to fight.

2. CarolineVABC profile image69

To Mark Knowles:

Pardon me??? Like I've mentioned before that I am not here trying to convert other people into Christianity.  I just happen to agree with Brenda when she said that being meek doesn't necessarily mean that people would accept you.  Here's her quote:

"So, the world isn't gonna love nor respect every Christian just because they're non-controversial and meek.  That's just not how it works at all.  The subject of Christ is a very challenging one, a very important one.  There's no secret formula that will make a Christian loved by everyone."

I'm not sure why you think that I'm trying to cause fights just because I happen to agree with someone's beliefs (and it happened to be about Christianity) and that I'm trying to convert other people into being one? We all have different beliefs and if someone has a different opinion, we should respect that.  Whether someone is a Christian or not, he/she is entitled to an opinion.  I am not trying to cause fights here, and all I did was state my opinion.  I get that you're not into "religion," and I respect that.  Everyone's beliefs should be respected.  Furthermore, I refuse to apologize for being a Christian, but on the other hand, I respect other people's religions and beliefs that are different than mine.  Just want to let you know that this will be my last reply to you regarding this because I believe that we will just go "around the circles" if we continue this discussion.  Thank you for the opportunity to clarify myself.

2. VOICE CIW profile image68
        VOICE CIWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

VOICE CIW, Brenda Durham I agree with you 100 %, most christians are not judgmental, but we are judged by others. Those who attack christians, hate Christ. If people hate us christians, we should feel like we are in good company, because they hated Jesus Christ our Savior also. Read my hub, Who Are Christians. God Bless You! I love you in the Lord.

4. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The answer to your question is that no one, including Christians, should be harshly judged for being competitive.  Why?  Because competition is part of the human instinct to survive.

5. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It is possible for Christians to be judged for their competitiveness in certain situations. For example, the actions of some christians indicate that this religion is competing for top honors as the most hate-filled religion that was ever created. I also feel it is fair to judge their footspeed as they rush to claim this christian, or that christian, is just not a true christian. They wear the same uniform you do and enjoy long pep talks with the same coach you do. Face facts folks, just because you don't agree with 3 words in their version of the bible, doesn't change the fact that those who claim to be christian are in fact, representing all christians. Sorry but religion is like the new improved army, all volunteer. This isn't kindergarden pick up dodge ball. Those lunatics that everyone makes fun of are in fact representing you on the field. I'm a Pittsburgh Steeler fan and when one of the players wearing the uniform I cheer for makes a mistake, no one sends him to the locker room for a uniform change. He's still a Steeler just like the lunatics in the Westboro Baptist Church are and the soldiers in the army of god are still christians. I think it's about time that christianity became responsible for taking care of the lunatics it creates. Simply simply revoking their membership in the he man, everybody different, haters club doesn't cut it any more.

Why are christians so competitive when it comes to being the best at judging all who think differently or for themselves? I am beginning to think that this is directly related to the quality of neighborhood one assumes they get to live in when they get to heaven. I'll bet a lot of christians are going to complain about the heat and humidity of the neighborhood they get sent to, right off the bat. The suprised looks on their faces as they wonder how so many atheists and bad people got into heaven will be a joy to behold. I'm quite certain that dying wont get rid of the ability to ignore reality that many hold so dear.

I hope everyone has an ordinary day, peace.

1. profile image0

There's so much about your post that's untrue, I dunno where to begin exactly.  But I guess I'll start with your statement that "those who claim to be christian are in fact, representing all christians."

Sorry, but the Westboro Church members do NOT represent all Christians, even if they're attempting to.

It's you who is obviously lumping all supposed Believers into one huge mixed-up ball of confusion.

As for another quote--"I think it's about time that christianity became responsible for the lunatics it creates" and etc....LOLOL you must think Christianity is a social club where the leaders have the power and right to refuse membership!  You are sooooo confused!

1. Stump Parrish profile image60

I am not lumping lumping all supposed Believers into one huge mixed-up ball of confusion Brenda, they're doing this all by themselves. Why is it up to the non-believers to prove that some of the believers aren't really believers? They're on your side of the scrimmage line, remember?  Now, since you mention that your club isn't capable of refusing membership, I have to ask how you decided that the Baptist Church out there in Topeka, isn't like the other Baptist Churches which do have your approval? I am a little confused here, let me explain, It seems that there is one group of christians standing at the front door of the church welcoming all to desire to enter god's house. At the backdoor and at both side doors we have different groups of thye same religion, kicking those who they feel aren't worthy of god's love out of his house. All pareticipants in this little charade claim to be christians. What special gene were you born with that allows you and only those you agree with 100% of the time, the ability to spot a fake christian like it was a Rollex watch?

Please feel free to enlighten this confused and lost soul any time.

I was under the impression that it was your god who decided whether or not a christian is a christian. Why do so many of you feel she's not up to the task?

1. profile image0

"she"??

Oh my.  Seein' as how we're not even talking about the same entity nor the same "religion" at all, I'm gonna call it quits as far as answering you, unless of course you'd like to actually be for real in this discussion.

1. Stump Parrish profile image60

My, aren't we touchy today. Please feel free to use what ever excuse for not answering, that makes you feel best. I am simply wondering how each and every christian out there feels that they and only they know what a true christian is. None of you can agree on anything other than which god your playing for, and all whip out the handy dandy, he's not a true christian card, everytime  someone questions you about the actions of another self proclaimed "True" christian. It sure does allow most true christians to retain their holier than thou-ness, in their minds at least. And let's face it, as long as you feel you passed your version of your clubs acceptance exam, you have the sole responsibility for assuming the duties pertaining judgement of mankind that your god is obviously not up to doing to your personal standards, right? I suppose we could start a right wing and a left wing classification for all christians if your willing to wear the correct badges. Until you decide on an appropriate labelling system, you are going to be lumped in with the lunatics and judged by their actions. Don't like it, get them kicked off the team your playing for. Quit waiting for the league to decide who is and who isn't a christian team player.

2. Woman Of Courage profile image60

Brenda, I am in full agreement with your response.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79
        pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats like saying all European should take responsibility (or represent) for all the killings of the indigenous cultures all over the world.

They should accept responsibility for what Hitler did. As he was European.

Or a father taking responsibility for the murder his son commits.

6. Dian'swords4u profile image60
      Dian'swords4uposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you look at the life of Christ, he did not compete for anything.  He did not compete for the love of others nor did he comptet for a highr place in this world.  Jesus was an humble man who spent his life quietly spreading the love of his father God to all  he came into contact with.  If a Christian is being judged for being competitive then he is living his life out of the will of God.  He needs to step back and look at his life and see what or who he is really living for and where his heart is.

7. Claire Evans profile image62
      Claire Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christians shouldn't compete because competing is done out of ego.  Let's face it.  However, it seems to be ingrained in our psyche to do so.  Maybe it's got to do with the survival of the fittest?  Animals always compete.

8. Titen-Sxull profile image71
      Titen-Sxullposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The question isn't really clear. I do think that Christianity is trying very hard to stay relevant in the 21st century and it appears to be losing that battle. I do not fault the religion for attempting to grow and compete in the marketplace of ideas but I also think that the same old ideas are not going to work, it is time for Christianity to either adapt as it has for centuries or to fade into obsolescence.

9. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Christians are judged for being competitive. Christians are judged for their actions.

Actions are the only thing to be judged and anyone who doesn't judge someone's actions, obviously doesn't understand life and negates responsibility.

pennyofheavenposted 13 years ago

No one should be judged full stop.

3. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

Are we wrongfully judged for being competitive? I do not believe so.If someone is judging and are Christian then they should not be judging at all.

Judge and you to shall be judged. smile Interesting thread but be ready. smile

4. profile image0
    pettidee456posted 13 years ago

Exactly I just don't like to be judged because I chose to follow God

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If others judge do not be bothered by that, remember WWJD? smile

5. profile image0
    SirDentposted 13 years ago

Honestly, no one can judge me but God at this time.  Of course in the future, who knows what is going to happen?  Revelation says it will get worse and believers will be persecuted.  No point in worrying about it.  Just live for Jesus.

1. Ruben Rivera profile image60
      Ruben Riveraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think even God judges

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

God has to judge.  How can he be a just God if He does not judge?  King David was judged for what he did after sleeping with Uriah's wife then having him killed.

1. Ruben Rivera profile image60
          Ruben Riveraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Was he killed in the name of God, or did God do it himself, throughout history and even today so many religions, individuals say the do things in the name of God.  I think it's just a way to instill fear in a judgmental, punishing God and to justify getting rid of someone seen as a threat.

1. profile image0

His house was troubled all the days of his life afterward.  One young son was taken from him and one of his other sons was out to kill him.  Lots of things happen because of the judgments of God.

God is an excuse for those who do not wish to take self responsibility. Who is going to hang them if God said it? Nowadays no individual can get away with that.

Why "has" to?

Didn't Jesus say ...do not judge lest you be judged....

What you seem to be saying is that if God inspires one to judge its ok?

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
            Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Many leaders claim God told them to kill.

Or was that GW Bush little dog told him to, god/dog
            Oh no, I don't know what I do with evil doers.

1. pennyofheaven profile image79

Teach them that "evil" can easily be reversed to "live"

Yeh! Live it up for a change.

Only rule is, no harming,
                If someone dose harm, make them work it off in jail for any measure of freedom or treat them in a hospital for mental illness.

Better than learning a crime trade in jail or punish poor people by war

2. Castlepaloma profile image76

The fact is, Christians do most of the competing and judging, start from there.

I prefer cooperation and adjustment of mistakes, then move on.

1. profile image0

Maybe you should check and see who the ones who post most in these forums here are.  Then check to see which are christians and which are not.

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60

SirDent, Great advice.

6. Wintermyst profile image60
    Wintermystposted 13 years ago

Good pont Sir Dent

How dose that change the facts?

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Adding to the words "The fact is" to the beginning of a statement does not make it truth.  Please consider that.  Also, to claim that you do not judge after making a generalized statement like "The fact is, blue is the ugliest color in the rainbow," is to make a completely false claim.  The statement itself is a subjective judgement.

2. fits3x100 profile image57
      fits3x100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hehehe...exactly! Pettidee, I am refreshed by the number of Christians migrating away from theological dogma and towards their own...personally responsible relationship with their Creator. The book of Acts is the best model for the Body. (Church is not a word that appears in Scripture, Fellowship is a word that does appear.)
      Rest assured though... we will be judged for the errors of the Church, and that I would suggest is fair from others perspective. Gotta "be" about Love...not "talk" about Love. If folks see Jesus in you? They will want what you have... Living,Learning, Loving...

1. profile image51
        ddlg1958posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said. If everyone who professed the faith took the time to study the scriptures you'd see a big difference in the face of Christianity. Keep up the intelligent posts.

7. Mark Upshaw profile image61
    Mark Upshawposted 13 years ago

Christians should be judged by all people of the earth for not living according to their profession.  If you don't live by the same standards that you profess and judge all others, then die by the same. 

The rest of the world sees the rich Christian ministers on TV and the very next commercial the poor from another country, while the hungry within their own communities are ignored.  I don't recall Jesus or his disciples living in the lap of luxury.  And don't tell me that a food pantry is the limit of a church's responsibility to his community.

Why do you think Christians should be judged? Other professions as you put it are not judged? What does one use in order to define this judgement?

There are non Christian who are rich who do exactly the same?

1. fits3x100 profile image57

When Paul addressed the Greeks...I am so awed by his edification of them and their religions. He began his address by talking about how much he admired their religiosity, not by talking about how false their beliefs were. I see my responsibility in Scripture to be me, and my thinking. I'm pretty busy digging the timbers from my eyes. To be honest, I am so much more ashamed of the behavior of many of those claiming brotherhood, then all of the so-called unbelievers combined.
        If Jesus came today, to fulfill the purposes that he did two thousand years ago, the religious hierarchy would kill him just like the Pharisee's and Sadducee's did. They hated him because the masses no longer needed them or their flowing robes...they had him. I'm sickened by the number of believers that rely on their priests' ,pastors', etc.
        Nietzsche, early in his life said "God is dead." When he was old and nearing his own end, he said, "Your God is that upon which you rely." For many,many people their God is the religious dogma that they have swallowed blindly with no thought...or their Priest, Rabbi, Mullah, or Pastor.
        We deserve to be very closely scrutinized by the unbelievers and sort of believers alike. We claim to have the mind of an omnipresent and omnipotent Creator at our disposal!
        It is not fair to be lumped into a generalized group, but how many times does someone, "wearing our uniform" as Stump so eloquently described it...do exactly that? All gays are burning in hell. All Atheist are Damned. All Murderers, Rapists, Molesters,Democrats...Really? do I know that? What do I do with the verses (red lettered none the less) that say: Many will come to me and say Master! Master! And I will say who are you? And they will answer, we cast out demons in your name! "GET AWAY FROM ME YOU EVIL ONES" I knew you not. Then there will be those that say they did not know me, but I will answer them, I was naked and you clothed me. I was without food and you cared for me, I was in prison and you visited me...???
        I'm thinkin' we're in for some surprises. If we would worry less about the rewards of being decent....and just be decent...
        In short, I sympathize with those who judge us. I do not agree per se, but sympathize to be certain. I really pity the monsters out there that are destroying the work that Jesus already accomplished, by shining a light on the "work" that they are doing....I tell you the truth ...they have already received their reward!

Perhaps then if any judging is going to be done it should be done within the Churches or from the leaders who teach the Gospel. What happens though when they also have incorrect perceptions and teach what they believe are the true teachings? Is that not what has been happening in history? How does one remedy this? Do away with the scriptures? Do away with the teachers who incorrectly teach? Could be an ongoing dilemma?

Pennyofheaven, Great questions. I have come to believe that many of us rely on ...as you say..."teachers" when we were given the greatest teacher of them all in the Bible. Where the Bible gets a bad rap is when it's opened with the intent of supporting "my" position. Where the Bible gets it's power and ability to teach, is when it's opened with the intent of discovering God's position.
            The leaders of the "Church" would do well to concentrate on Judging what the Bible tells them to Judge. First examining their own faith, then in response to conflicts within the body. Not in Judging folks outside the Kingdom, that is the Holy Spirits job and best left to his expertise.
            Scripture is the "word"...the ever present burning bush! But...nasty motives will give it a bad rap every time...
            I adore your presence in these forums! Talk to you soon...I'm hoping to set down and pen a hub soon.

Yes agree nasty motives will.  Thank you! Looking forward to your hubs!

You are a Darlin'! When I finally get free and pop into the forums I look for where your working... It's always good! Hope to see more soon!

8. pisean282311 profile image63
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

being competitive is human nature and it has nothing to do with religion...yes if what you mean is promotion of religion and being competitive in that..well i doubt Christianity beats Islam in that...Islam is far more assertive

1. Druid Dude profile image58
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why in the world would a christian be competitive? Sounds pridefully arrogant, and untrusting of the power.

Religions competeing for souls for one, who is winning so far?

9. brimancandy profile image77
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

I usually try to shy away from discussion on religion, but, I would like to share something with you, about my own family experience.

I have 2 brothers, and 2 sisters. We all grew up going to church. When I was a very small boy, we went to the mormon church, and later switched to the baptist church. One of my sisters was the only one in the family that went to church on a regular basis, while my oldest brother claimed to be an atheist. I just found the whole thing incredibly boring, and usually fell asleep.

Well, now that we are all older, the sister who went to church on a regular basis and went to a Christian college, got married and rarely goes to church at all. My other sister who rarely went to church when she was a kid, now spends half of her time on facebook posting bible verses and talking about the will of god. While my brother Charlie and I have not step foot in a church besides a few weddings, and funerals.

The most surprising is my atheist brother. He started going to church with my parents a few years ago, and now he is on the church board, plays guitar in the church band, and even teaches sunday school. You can't go through a day with him, without him having to phrase the bible. It's very annoying.

My older sister, who barely went to church at all when she was a kid, later moved to Texas and went to Bob Jones university. She went from no church to quoting bible verses in just a short time. It's weird that my former atheist brother, seems to think she lives in a cult, but, he would not think the same thing about his own transformation.

The most strange was my dad. He never went to church when I was growing up. He didn't start going until about 10 years before he died, and he used to say, the only place you are going when you die is a hole in the ground, and that's it. But, after going to church for ten years, he started talking about the afterlife and god's kingdom, all that stuff that still makes me yawn.

So, to say that the church doesn't have an impact on people, have never seen the results first hand. It's almost as if they became totally different people, perhaps as if they were brainwashed into believing they are something they are not.
    In my families case, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it sure is weird. Unfortunately my dad passed away, and he is now in a tiny box about the size of a Scooby Doo lunch box.

I still believe that there might be a god and a heaven, at least I hope there is. Unfortunately, according to the church, there is no place in heaven for someone like me. And, even though I don't agree with that, it still irritates the crap out of me, that they spout the love of god, while they throw insults and the whole fire and brimstone speech at anyone who doesn't agree with them. They sure make it hard for people to trust.

1. Druid Dude profile image58
      Druid Dudeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Competitiveness is associated with self pride, envy, jealousy...murder! smile
      WAY anti-Jesus. They tend to be judgemental in there thought and deed. They view that as the true philosophy, blinding allowing others to bend them to this church or that church until it all looks like yhe cereal isle at the local market....I say BAH! HUMBUG!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)