Will You Sign Glenn Beck's Pledge of Non-Violence?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (58 posts)
  1. lady_love158 profile image59
    lady_love158posted 13 years ago

The left constantly accuses to the pundits on the right of promoting violence, of being haters, but Glenn Beck is publicly calling for all Americans to commit to non-violence and to sign his pledge. Will you?

http://www.glennbeck.com/2011/01/13/gle … nd-media/#

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Glenn Beck - "The Revolution is NOW!"

He's denouncing himself with a hypocritical pledge.

Where does he stand on weapons at political functions?

Where does he stand on threatening rhetoric from Tea Party Candidates?

lady_love158posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only in YOUR imagination has Beck, the Tea Party, or the right EVER called for violence!

"I'm thinking about killing Michael Moore, and I'm wondering if I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it. ... No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out. Is this wrong?"

Did you watch the show or just download the out of context quote from the Hufpo Site, or Media Matters or whatever Soros media you subscribe to?

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
              I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The background of Beck's own website had an image of him holding a handgun with his finger on the trigger until last Tuesday when it was taken down.

What does that have to do with anything?

http://onthefiringlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/obama-gun-control1.jpg

Does this image mean Obama is for violence?

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72
                  Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In false equivalency world, posing with your finger in the shape of a gun is the same as posing with your finger on the trigger of an actual gun.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
          Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pehaps not but their rhetoric helped egg on nut balls to commit violence. The best example was O'Reilly's repeatedly referring to George Tiller, the abortion doctor who was assassinated in his church in Topeka, as a "baby killer." The problem is the extreme rhetoric which tends to incite violence.

And you sound sooo convincing, soo intelligent in your accusations! Of course there is a DIRECT connection, still, even after your fearless leader admitted there was none!

You know it appears to me the left is more like Loughner than the right. Loughner is one of your own!

2. profile image57
            C.J. Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ralph, good example. The cutting of the gas line was another. Your simply politicizing the issue. The shooting is NOT Tea Party Related. The guy is MENTALLY ILL!

3. Jim Hunter profile image60
            Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once again Ralph pretends to know what is in the mind of another.

I think he is a prophet of their religion.

3. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just as you are an unbiased poster.  lol  What a load! lol

4. Jeff Berndt profile image72
          Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4471328_f248.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4471332_f248.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4471336_f248.jpg

These must have been part of our collective imaginations? A mass hallucination? Or actual calls for violence from Tea Partiers?

5. megs11237 profile image60
          megs11237posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You've been using them? They believe in communism. They believe and have called for a revolution. You're going to have to shoot them in the head. But warning, they may shoot you.

Glenn Beck 6/10/10

2. Doug Hughes profile image59

Glen Beck June 2 - this is from a Fox transcript of the show. Pretty much confirms my evaluation from 4 days ago. He's denouncing himself with a hypocritical pledge. Tead this in context. I have not snipped anything from just prior or after the quote in bold.

"I will stand against you and so will millions of others. We believe in something. You in the media and most in Washington don't. The radicals that you and Washington have co-opted and brought in wearing sheep's clothing — change the pose. You will get the ends.

"You've been using them? They believe in communism. They believe and have called for a revolution.[b] You're going to have to shoot them in the head.[b/] But warning, they may shoot you.

"They are dangerous because they believe. Karl Marx is their George Washington. You will never change their mind. And if they feel you have lied to them — they're revolutionaries. Nancy Pelosi, those are the people you should be worried about.

2. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

It's like al-quaeda claiming islam is peaceful big_smile

Seriously these tactics are too old now to fish for social vote- donate to charity and show you're good, sign up some peace pledge and show that you're non-violent, give jobs and food to those who are in poverty-line only to convert them in X religion. Tsk. Tsk. 

Making personal attacks on obama (as person) or anything non-righty stuff then expect others to sign up this pledge huh ? Very Non-violent wink

3. Evan G Rogers profile image62
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

Everyone knows that Glenn Beck is DIRECTLY responsible for the shooting of all those people... ONE WAS A CONGRESSWOMAN!!! CONGRESS!!! CONGRESSWOMAN!!! SHE'S MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE OTHER 14!!!!...

Glenn Beck not only said things like "i hate congress" and things like "we should have guns", but he also said things like "using guns to ensure your freedoms as congress tries to take them away is a good thing!"

HE SHOULD BE HUNG BY THE US!!! WHY ISN'T HE IN JAIL YET!!

HE SAID THINGS!!!

HE SAID BAD THINGS!!!

MWAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

======

Guys, let's be clear about the issue. Some dude took a gun and killed a bunch of people.

I'm an Anarchist and I've never done this, nor have I thought of doing this.

The guy was obviously a bit nutty.

Only liberals could think "even though that man pulled the trigger, it's someone else's fault".  .... unless it's the Nazi army troops, then suddenly people are responsible for their own actions.

When this 'nut' committed an act of anarchy, I was probably the first on HP to associate advocating anarchy with the real picture of anarchy. And it's ugly.

I did not say you were at fault.  I said shooting old people and children is anarchy. If you find that revolting, you should consider carefully the philosophy of anyone who calls for anarchy.

It's also true that I asked people to LOOK at the words of Tea Party candidates who called for violence. I suggested that if you find it revolting that someone at point-blank range would shoot an unarmed person in the head, you might not want to associate with someone who uses an image of his political opponent for target practice at a rally.

I want to see kooky individuals and kooky political movements marginalized. Not censored or jailed. Just made impotent in the political process. I will use logic, persuasion and ridicule to do that.

It's not hard to ridicule the ridiculous.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That wasn't an act of anarchy, that was an act of hatred.

Killing a leader isn't an act of anarchy. If it were, then the US committed an act of Anarchy when it killed Hussein, or when it invaded Nazi Germany, or when it overthrew Hideki Tojo.

Hatred and anarchy are different.

Let's have a test:
        Is the act listed hatred or anarchy?

1) killing a baby because it cried.
        2) encouraging less government control over people's lives.
        3) shooting people you disagree with.
        4) encouraging people you disagree with to change their perspectives through non-violent means.
        5) bombing things.
        6) invading Iraq.
        7) taxing people who are richer than you simply because they're richer than you.
        8) Launching a revolution to overthrow a dictatorial menace.
        9) telling your wife you think her views on taxation are wrong, and that there needs to be less taxation and less government spending.
        10) encouraging foreign entrepreneurs to invest in your country by making it easier for them to perform business.

if you can't tell the difference, then there is no hope for humanity.

---

Going further with your obvious confusion of violence and anarchy...

Let's look at what system is responsible for more deaths - government or anarchy.

Holocaust - Government
        Cultural Revolution - Government
        Gulags - Government
        A few riots now and then - Anarchy
        Rape of Nanking - Government
        Some guy randomly shooting someone for political motivation - either/both
        Civil War - Government
        Invasion of Iraq - Government
        police brutality - government

... i could go on for days, and the tally would EASILY show that Anarchy is MUCH more peaceful than government.

1. uncorrectedvision profile image61
          uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't William McKinley assassinated by an anarchist?

Wasn't the 1920 Wall Street bombing that killed or injured over 200 people committed by an anarchist?

Didn't the paranoid schizophrenic Tucson shooter suckle his rage on that anarchist gem, Zeitgeist?

2. megs11237 profile image60

Your rambling I think evan.

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

"Only liberals could think "even though that man pulled the trigger, it's someone else's fault".  .... unless it's the Nazi army troops, then suddenly people are responsible for their own actions."

The left thinks Sarah Palin can't string two sentences together but is capable of mind control.

Its a nutty religion they have.

1. John Holden profile image61
        John Holdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So all money spent on advertising is wasted!

1. Evan G Rogers profile image62
          Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you can't see the difference between persuasion and mind control.... then...

yikes.

2. lovemychris profile image77
        lovemychrisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Make up your mind, was it Palin,Beck or Limbaugh?"

All of them. I told you, I believe it started in 1991 with Russsshhhhhh.
        And has steadily increased to where every talking head and mouth is far-right.

It is changing now, thanks to Pelosi. We have a small radio station now with liberal talk.

But, the only people who need to sign this are the people who are guilty of glorifying violence in the first place!

Why should someone sign who never had anything to do with violent rhetoric or images at all?

3. megs11237 profile image60

You quoted that Jim was that something someone actually said?

4. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

So you're another one who thinks the violent gun rhetoric and imaging is completely innocent in all this?

Then why don't we just allow it everywhere?
    Tell your kid if they have a problem in school, to just "take them out".
    Call the parents and say you have a second amendment remedy for their kid.
    Trust me, they will know EXACTLY what you mean.

Get rid of the content labeling on movies, records, etc.

And for god's sakes, bring back those 7 banned swear-words! After all, they don't hurt anybody!

1. BillyDRitchie profile image61
      BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LMC, try this on for size.  The only person responsible for what happened in Tucson was a mentally disturbed young man.  That's it.  Nothing more, nothing less.

According to his friends, he did not listen to Rush, or watch Fox News, and in all likelihood had no clue who Sarah Palin was.

Let the responsibility fall where it properly belongs.

Or does that make too much sense?

1. lovemychris profile image77

So what's the petition for then??? Why now??

I wonder if the people who think violent talk and imagery is no big deal are the ones whining about our moral decline as represented by MTV etc?

You cannot have you cake and eat it too.

It isn't the reason that man shot people but it is immoral to speak and act violently. To hurt others, to turn a blind eye to others pain, etc.

Wrong is wrong.

5. readytoescape profile image60
    readytoescapeposted 13 years ago

Nope I’m not signing. I mean really what’s the sense in owning firearms if you can’t create a little mayhem now and again?

The only thing I’m signing is the line on my credit card receipt for more ammo. How else are you going to repel those gun totin’ regulatin’ gov't gun-grabbers.

6. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago

maybe we should start a petition and sign his commitment papers instead.
    he starts alot of the hate  and fear mongering rumors.hmm

He halfway sommitted himself - too bad we didn't have the papers ready when he said..

"You know, we all have our inner demons. I, for one - I can't speak for you, but I'm on the verge of moral collapse at any time. It can happen by the end of the show. "

2. lady_love158 profile image59

There you go, repeating an untrue claim! Who are "we" anyway? Are the "we" the leftist radicals supported by Sorors in other words democrats?

1. megs11237 profile image60

Lady it is what he wrote in his book.....

3. lovemychris profile image77

Oh....I agree! The man is certifiable.

7. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 13 years ago

He's making a petition for something he doesn't believe exists!

The left LIES and continues to DENY! Beck has NEVER called for violence and those of you on the left continue to attack him for his effort to encourage peaceful discourse? Why?

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow.

Did George Orwell use you for inspiration?

George Orwell was quite familiar with the left.  He wrote 2 books about the left.  Perhaps you have heard of them.

we just posted the quotes...

Do you want the youtube link to the video segment?? I will supply.

Hey it's cool to think what you want but your a little whacked, I have to say.

2. Jim Hunter profile image60

He doesn't believe violence exists?

Where did he say that?

He doesn't believe he was instigating it.
        He was----which is why he has to CYA now.

1. Jim Hunter profile image60

Most REASONABLE people don't believe he instigated it.

Make up your mind, was it Palin,Beck or Limbaugh?

Even Obama in his campaign speech at the Memorial said the discourse wasn't the reason for the shooting!

Cool--you agree with Obama!!

>my smelling salts, I may faint<

8. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

I am happy to be the first to say that I would sign the pledge!

Everyone else just wring your hands thinking of the next political jab you can take out of the conversation.

Just hate the messenger, you will be fine.

9. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 13 years ago
  10. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 13 years ago

http://www.utecity.com/PowerPoint-Rabid-Dog-Web.jpg

I DON'T CARE!!!!  I AM GONNA BLAME SOMEONE!!

That's a good picture of some of the Palin crowds....some of them got so riled up, they actually shouted "Kill him", "Traitor", "Terrorist", and "Treason" about Obama.
      Yes----you-tube is full of these videos!!!

Brought guns to Obama meetings, Pol yelling out at him during a speech, refusing to work with him.....

Now you want civility???
      How very benign of you.

And how very trite. And how very very late.

11. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I have the forum filter which blocks politics, but had to take a look to see what's being said.. this thread gave me a chuckle.  so now we need to sign a pledge saying we're going to be responsible,civil adults.. 

some of us live this way, we don't need to sign a pledge.
    nothing but political theatrics. anything for ratings.

btw, the forum filter is wonderful!

12. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

It is obvious what is happening in that photo. Obama is adeptly getting that man to "put the gun down." Notice that the man's "finger gun" is facing downward while he is simultaneously giving Obama the "thumbs up."

13. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

''Every night I get down on my knees and pray that Dennis Kucinich will burst into flames.''
    —Glenn Beck, in 2003

''When I see a 9/11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, 'Oh shut up' I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining.''
    —Glenn Beck on his radio show, Sept. 9, 2005

''I went to the movie this weekend with a gun. And surprise, surprise, I didn't kill anybody!''
    —Glenn Beck

''I want a chastity belt on this man. I want his every move watched in Washington. I don't trust this guy...This one could end with a dead intern. I'm just saying, it could end with a dead intern!''
    —Glenn Beck, on Sen. Scott Brown saying his daughters are ''available'' during his election victory speech

Nope. No violent words or imagery here. Not a single word. Glenn Beck is the hippie of Faux News.

14. megs11237 profile image60
    megs11237posted 13 years ago

BTW i thought discussion was about whether or not he talked about violence...

I do not think he is to blame.

15. uncorrectedvision profile image61
    uncorrectedvisionposted 13 years ago

Sarah Palin now Chris Mathew's graphics director
    http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/checker.aspx?v=hdqG4zpr6U

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)