Hubber linking to their own Hubs in your comments section

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (39 posts)
  1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

I am not looking to name names here as this happens quite a lot on Hubpages, but can someone please clarify whether or not it is against the rules for a Hubber to come to your hub, leave a comment and then include a link to one of their own hubs as a part of that comment. I know it says under each comments box that 'Comments are not for promoting your hubs or other sites', but this doesn't say you actually can't do it, and I am having trouble locating anything in the rules to say it is against TOS.

Personally I do not have a problem with allowing a link in my own comments if it is relevant to the topic of my Hub, but I tend to avoid linking to my own hubs on other people's and prefer to ask first unless I know the hubber well enough that I know they won't mind and I have done the same for them.

I have had a situation arise which is concerning me. A new hubber and follower posted a link to a non-relevant hub in two comments sections on my hubs. I deleted one of those comments, and allowed the other to stand as a goodwill gesture. Rather than embarrass the person I contacted them privately to explain what I had done and why it was frowned upon in Hubpages to post your own links. I thought I had worded it well, and in a nice way, but got quite a short sharp reply back saying that:

"Well thanks for that bit of info but when you read the promote your site bit of hubbers you will find what I did is encouraged in any case you can decline or approve a comment that's the hubber`s responsibility to do so!

Sorry to sound blunt but only following the rules to a T and don't worry I won't be posting on your hubs from now on because I do not want to alienate you!"

I have to confess I was somewhat taken aback by the response, not to mention confused as to where this person got the idea this activity was "encouraged". I don't want to fall out with anyone here on Hubpages, but thought I was being helpful and this person would take on board what I have said, especially as a newbie.

I am hoping that any replies left here might clear up the situation in a way that will help the Hubber to understand, and me too if I have misunderstood the rules for the last 3 years (or near enough).

Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Whether or not it's against the rules, it IS downright rude.  When you comment on a Hub, you already get a link to your profile (in your name).  Posting a link to a Hub as well - that's just being greedy.  And if it's completely irrelevant, then it falls within the definition of SPAM.

I won't post a link to my Hub even if it's highly relevant to my comment.  If I feel it's important, I'll mention I've written a Hub on the subject - but I will leave it to the Hub owner to decide whether to link to it.

If anyone posts a Hub link in comments on my Hub, it has to really add to the discussion before I'll allow it.

I had exactly the same situation, I emailed the person and they thanked me for setting them right.  I think you were justified in feeling affronted at the response you got.  I hope the offender is reading this thread and will realize his mistake!

mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too Marisa, I was kind of 'hurt' afterwards, I was being nice, or so I thought!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

If it's unrelated to my hub I deny the comment completely.

Well that is what I would do generally too, but is it actually against the rules to post a link to your own Hub in the other persons comments without their permission, or is it just considered bad manners?

1. profile image0
        china manposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It can't be without permission because you can accept or deny.

But i would say it would be bad manners if it has no relevance.

I have always worked on the assumption 'Accept or Deny' is more to delete abusive comments rather than them staying on the hub, and what if you were away for a week, or lost Internet access. You wouldn't be in a position to 'accept or deny' for potentially days? I can see why the comment is initially automatically allowed as it may be relevant to the topic, and the hubber may let it stand.

It is confusing, but I always believed that as it says under the comments box that it is not for the purpose of promoting your own Hubs, it was stating this is against the rules for Hubpage members to do so.

3. Victoria Stephens profile image75
    Victoria Stephensposted 13 years ago

I'm not sure what the rules are but I would deny all links posted on my comments unless their article was extremely relevant, I think it's rude when people do that. 

If I want peoples links on my articles that are relevant to them or for the sake of friendly gestures then I add it to the content myself. 

I think if people’s articles are naturally good and enjoyable then the writer will find it and automatically want to link it in their content, if not; the links in comments look a bit of a desperate plea.

1. kephrira profile image61
      kephriraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Me too. Most comments with links are short and look like someone writing the bare minimum purely to add a link anyway so I delete them.

If a comment is thoughtful and it looks like the person genuinely came to my hub because they were interested and left a comment because they had something to say and the link is useful then I'll allow it, but that is pretty rare.

I even once had someone say in a comment something like 'this article is rubbish, you should read mine instead'  along with a link to an article on the same topic. I mean, how rude can you get? Why they thought I would accept that comment is beyond me.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image80
    Mark Ewbieposted 13 years ago

I think its bad manners, and will normally deny the comment.  The point of the comment is to COMMENT, not to sell yourself.  I find it rather a cheap shot when someone pops in and says "great hub" here's my whatever.

Find some other way to promote.

In the grand scheme of things a visit from a hubber is worth approximately nothing.  Comments should be purely for encouragement and feedback - while the real game (which I am rubbish at) is search traffic.

All my opinion of course.

5. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

I fear the person who wrote that to you is misinterpreting the HP suggestions to promote your hubs.
    The comments section of someone else's hub is part of THEIR hub. It is to leave a relevant comment, generally in support of the person's hub -- but certainly can be use to correct something you(the commenter) know know to be inaccurate, to expand upon a point made in the hub, or even to state that you disagree.
    It is the prerogative of the owner of the hub to accept or deny your comment.
    It is NOT acceptable to go around commenting on other people's hubs with links to your own hubs, ESPECIALLY if the links are to hubs unrelated to the topic.
    If you wish to link your hub to someone else's, you can
    a) use the "Suggest Links" feature (which may or may not pull up that person's hub as a possible link)
    b) Ask the hubber to put a link capsule linking to your hub in their hub (and reciprocate, of course).

It's not against the rules to put a link in a comment.
    But if the link does not pertain to the hub's subject, it is SPAM.
    The more subtle way to drive traffic from that hub to your own is to leave a comment that shows readers you have something to contribute to the topic/conversation.

Thanks for this MM (Susan), it is good to have the information broken down like this, and I know you know what you are talking about because you have been here on Hubpages a long time. smile

6. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I get so many - 'thank you for sharing' comments, with link inside it or in anchor text.

7. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

sometimes I keep them if they directly relate, but I think posting links to our own hubs in the forums or in comment boxes is in bad taste. 

I found this post from Paul Deeds about links in comments. I'm assuming it refers to all links left in comments, but it's not clarified.
    http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/5173#post49328

EDIT: here is another more recent thread of which a new feature was suggested of stripping links in comments, but leaving the comment. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/63479#post1398163

8. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I think a lot of new hubbers are maybe misunderstanding what is being said about promotion.
    Simply commenting in someone else's hub is a link back to your profile and this is what is encouraged. It builds a huge amount of internal links, and greatly benefits the commenter.
    Your username is a link.
    There is no need whatsoever to add a hub url too. I delete all such comments with links, even when relevant.

A very good point Izzy, I can see how this misunderstanding could happen.

9. Sweetsusieg profile image76
    Sweetsusiegposted 13 years ago

I do have a few comments that have included links that I have allowed to stay, but for the most part I think it's tacky to include links in comments. 

I have also replied AFTER deleting the comment that their comment was deleted because it appeared to me that it was spam.  Letting them know that it is rude to do so and all spam will be deleted.

I feel that if you make your comments worthwhile, insightful and informative readers will view them and decide whether or not they wish to read what you have written.

I too usually put a comment afterwards saying I deleted the comment and why, but for some reason I didn't on this occasion, possibly because the Hubber is very new, and I didn't want to cause them embarrassment, apparently this consideration was not appreciated judging by the sharp response.

Quite often I do allow comments containing relevant links to stay, but do think it is rude if the comment they left was only a few words long, or was clearly only left in order to give them an opportunity to include their link.

Thanks for your thoughts Sweetsusieg smile

1. profile image0
        ssaulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

i find it very rude to do and i normally delete them as their comments serves no purpose.

2. Christy Goff profile image60
      Christy Goffposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's sad, when I read a hub, I leave a comment to let them know what I think about it, not to have someone go to mine.

1. Sweetsusieg profile image76
        Sweetsusiegposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Exactly Christy... 

But I think these folks who are new don't  understand views.  It's great and wonderful to get views for other Hubbers!  It helps to know if what you have written is good stuff or really awful...  They may not understand that the views from outsiders are where the money is...

10. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

"Hubber linking to their own Hubs in your comments section"

Tacky. Tacky. Tacky. smile

11. spryte profile image75
    spryteposted 13 years ago

I thought that you were being very nice and thoughtful (as you usually are) when you sent the person a private message as to why you deleted one of their comments.  You didn't have to do that, but knowing you as I do and how you hate hurting anyone's feelings unnecessarily...you made the gesture so that your actions wouldn't be misinterpreted.

In return, the person obviously wasn't so worried about hurting YOUR feelings.  Some people are like that.  I especially found it rather amusing that it became YOUR "responsibility" to monitor your comments and not theirs to perhaps think twice about their own comment. 

Ahhh...the world we live in where it's never our own problem and we are free to do as we wish and leave it to somebody else to clean up later.  smile

To put it in spryte terms...it would be like me taking a crap in your yard and telling you that if you don't want it there it's your responsibilty to pick it up and dispose of it.
    Even though I'm pretty sure that it would be a relevant crap...
    not to mention that as far as crap goes, my crap is probably just as good as oh...Shadesbreath's and Christoph's crap...only smaller because after all...I am a girl. 

smile  Love ya sweetie...and you are better off without somebody like that taking advantage of your hubs.  *great big hugs*

You are as always a Sweetie Spryte, and somehow manage to make me laugh at even a situation like this one. Thanks so much for your input smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image90
        Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes-- and you could thank her again for not leaving output.

LOL, good one, I am sure she is far too much of lady to do that wink

1. spryte profile image75
            spryteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL!!!  Yes...I'm definitely much too refined for that sort of behavior.  tongue

2. Shadesbreath profile image79
      Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LAWL!!!

Anyway, Spryte is right (hey, that rhymes) about the crap thing for the most part. If it's super relevant and it came with a really significant comment that was very thoughtful and reflecting on what I wrote, and the hub became an extension of that really excellent comment, I'll leave it. But for the most part, I'm with Spryte on the crap-factor.

When in doubt, they could just as easily soft-sell their hub and say at the end of their comment, I wrote an article on this too, if you're interested, come check it out.  That invites a "Oh, why don't you link it response," but also allows the author (you) to just say, "Yeah, sure," and be done with it.

Bottom line is, don't be linking crap on people's hubs. NOBODY likes a salesman, especially one that barges in without even knocking on the door. (Why do I want to go link some of mine on yours now just to be immature? big_smile )

12. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

If the comment and link are relevant and you delete it surly you are serving your own ends rather than the readers the hub was written for.

The point was that the link was not relevant, and on a completely different subject to the hub, although the comment itself was brief and was related to the hub. Clearly this was more about getting readers to his own hub rather than having anything constructive to add to mine.

13. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

As I said on another thread, I let it stay if I think it adds enough value to the hub to justify the link. Otherwise I just deny it, in extreme cases marking it spam. smile

Thanks for adding your thoughts here too Misha smile

14. nell79 profile image79
    nell79posted 13 years ago

I think you went above and beyond in how you handled the situation. If it's not relevant to your content, then it shouldn't be there.

Oh, and I love the "crap" analogy!!!! lol

15. RedElf profile image90
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

On a few occasions, I have taken a link that was really relevant,and included it in my hub - and then emailed the person to thank them, and let them know how much I valued their link (enough to include it in the hub), and to say very nicely that I don't hold with leaving links in comments.

I always set the comment capsule to "moderate", so nothing gets posted til I've seen and approved it. I have had people react very badly to comment moderation - in fact I have been left a couple of very sharp replies, and lost several fans/followers that were offended by the very idea that someone might have to approve their comments.

As already pointed out, slapping in your link, unasked and uninvited, is considered SPAM. Your user name is a link so you are getting a freebie already. I don't allow spammers to post their links all over my other web sites - why should I allow it here?

16. spryte profile image75
    spryteposted 13 years ago

(Why do I want to go link some of mine on yours now just to be immature?  )

Probably for the same reason that I struggled with my inner-demonic-child not to do the same thing.  smile

mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years ago

Contacted Hubpages about this kind of situation and got the following very useful response:

"You have not misunderstood the rules.  It is indeed against the rules to post a link to your own Hub in the Comments section of another person's Hub, unless the link is crucial to understanding said comment.  Thank you for emailing the newer Hubber and please don't worry about their response."

2. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I find it rude and ordinarily delete comments with links.

3. Money Glitch profile image62
      Money Glitchposted 13 years ago

I just deleted one today from a new hubber that left 3 hub links in one comment. For the most part I consider it to be rude and inconsiderate. You can tell by the comment that your article most likely was not read and it is only self-promotional.

When the comment goes like this one - "I really like your writing. Now read my articles and tell me what you think;" - I press the deny/delete button without giving it a second thought.

4. Beth100 profile image72
      Beth100posted 13 years ago

Leaving a link in a comment section is a bit tricky as there are several variables which affect which button I push.  If there is no relevancy, then I delete it.  If there is relevancy, then I email the owner, requesting that they link me back.  I've had some reply favorably, others not.   I've also visited some of the sites, and decided that I did not want to link to their hubs because it (and I'm not trying to sound snobbish) is not what I would like to represent.  It may be off topic, poorly written, of no value in content or a reiteration of what I already presented.  If I approve, it's because I believe my audience will benefit from it.

All that being said, I always ask for permission for linking.  If the generosity has been requested from me, I go ahead and link their hub and notify them that I have.  My expectation is that they live up to their end of the deal.

There is a danger in this, which I have experienced.  A similar topic may be linked and they piggy back off mine only to write a second hub that is on the same topic as mine which they link to from the hub that I have linked into mine.  I'm a bit gun shy now, but it is all about trust and how well you know the other hubber.

Perhaps the decision is more of a personal one, but I don't believe in advertising myself on someone's elses work that they have spent time, energy and commitment to without their permission.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)