Non-English Hubpages -- what language should we use when we comment?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 15 years ago

Are we penalized on our hubscore when we post a comment in the language in which a hub is written to a Hubpage that is not in English written by someone else?

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't believe so, I have became a fan and written in Spanish, and Dutch and was not penalized. smile I posted a comment on a spanish article and was not penalized. smile

2. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 15 years ago
  3. rmshdc profile image56
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

English only at HubPages.

Wished, if there other languages included!

1. Julaha profile image61
      Julahaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I read somewhere that the reason why Hub Pages were only in English was shortage of manpower and that there is a possibility of Hub Pages becoming available in other languages.

I am eagerly waiting for the day when Hub Pages will be available in Hindi, which some say is the third largest language in the world after Chinese and English.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
      Ralph Deedsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hubpages is overdue, in my opinion, for allowing hubs in Spanish which is the third or fourth most widely spoken language after Chinese and English, followed by Arabic, Bengali, Hindi and Russian. According to this source

http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html

4. Aya Katz profile image84

Yes, I understand the rules are English only. But the scenario is this: I'm surfing along and I come across a Hubpage (written by someone else) that is not in English. It seems weird to comment in English. If I choose to comment in the language in which the hub is written, what are the direct consequences?

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

How many languages do you know?

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

There's not much point in commenting at all, because someone will eventually notice that it's not in English, and the Hub will be deleted.  So your comment won't have a long life!

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

No consequences - except for the hub eventually being removed for TOS violation, and your comment with it smile

6. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 15 years ago

If you see a hub that is not in English, FLAG IT.  People will learn to follow the rules after a few of their hubs get removed for not complying with Hubpages ToS.  big_smile

1. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Bride-to-be, It is so exhausting to keep flagging, as change can be good very good and unfortuntately it can become discrimnatory, we know what happens when people start yelling. big_smile  I have read article in Spanish and responded in English, but I do realize that not everyone can read Spanish. smile

7. Aya Katz profile image84

Well, I speak two fluently, like a native. I am literate in about four more. This means I can read and write them well, but am not a speaker.  Have studied a few others, but to no great effect. ;->

8. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 15 years ago

Six languages?

Even if it seems weird to comment in English, let it be because you do know hubpages' ToS and two wrongs do not make it right.

9. Aya Katz profile image84

Ngureco, I think you are right. One should probably stick to English in posting comments. But there are other gray areas, for instance, in citing references, are we allowed to give a title of a book in a different language?

10. ngureco profile image81

Agreed. The title of a book is just like your name. The name Aya Katz should remain the same even if you're to write in Russian.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yet it will look different Айя (or Ая) Кац smile

Aya Katzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Misha, of the two, I prefer Ая.

11. ngureco profile image81

After English the next stop should be French - factors other than how widely spoken a language is would have to be considered. For example: Chinese is position one on the table but we are doing it in English.

12. Aya Katz profile image84

I think if we open Hubpages up to other languages, it should be all of them, not one at a time based on population counts. As long as volunteers who spoke the language in question could agree to help police it for violations, it should be allowed.

13. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I agree. I get international traffic n me bounce rate is high sad from those particular sites ... one site uses conductivity dot com language translator hmm dont know if its any good but is a idea big_smile

14. ngureco profile image81

Why don't hubpages allow hubs in languages other than English?
    Answer: At our current size we don't have the resources to properly create or administer a HubPages site in other languages. We hope to be able to offer our services in other languages in the future.

Meaning:  they need more funds and perhaps adding one language at a time. Hopefully the next stop will be French.

15. Aya Katz profile image84

French is fine by me. I just think it would not be a matter of funding if they could recruit reliable volunteers among the users to help police any infractions of the content rules. Presumably, that is the only holdup.

16. ngureco profile image81

A good idea. I do not think there would be much more in software changes. The only thing is that where there is money being made, volunteers won't take long before they demand some payments.

17. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

Volunteering helps boost ones resume and over all writers portfolio wink I wouldnt be too hard on the idea of volunteers  smile besides ..there are other sites that have volunteers maintaining their sites...I agree...volunteering after a year gets tiresome n monetary remuneration of some sort could be offered hmm sorta like...retainer bonus lol

18. britneydavidson profile image61
    britneydavidsonposted 15 years ago

well i came across the same thing as in fourms they have typed in english characters but the language wasnt english....is it allowed?

19. BG Guest profile image60
    BG Guestposted 15 years ago

I was just about to search this topic and I found it on the first page in the fourm, YAY!!!

I wanted to write a Hub in English as usual but have some Bulgarian words forced into it but as written in this thread it could be against HP rules, then I got to thinking that I could do it with ponetics but that would defeat the object of the hub, maybe it would be best I just forget the idea

Aya Katzposted 15 years agoin reply to this

BG Guest, it's not against the rules to write about another language in English. I have some hubs that are about Chinese language learning, and they have not been flagged.

20. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 15 years ago

Hubs should be written primarily in English, and should be understandable to an English speaker.  You can certainly use foreign phrases or short quotes from other languages in hubs without fear.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)