apocalyptic times

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (54 posts)
  1. profile image52
    Helen Keaneposted 13 years ago

What is your opinion?  Do you believe that we are living in apocalyptic times or not?

1. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What does that mean? Apocalyptic times?

1. christ4ever profile image65
        christ4everposted 13 years agoin reply to this

APOCALYPSE = (Greek: apokálypsis; Definition: "Lifting of the Veil" or "Revelation")

So Helen Keane's (Q) would pertain to: "When the veil is lifted revealing that these times are here." or the "times" of the events pertaining to the "Book of Revelation". -- So yes, I feel were are living at the "dawn" of those times now.

"And He will destroy on this mountain, The surface of the covering cast over all people, And the veil that is spread over all nations." (Isaiah 25:7 NKJ)

The modern dictionary use of the word "Apocalypse" has also come to more "new world" meaning: a "devasting world war" OR the destruction of the world. -- I do not feel that these are those times according to Biblical scripture (two different events), whereas there may be an impending war at the end of the "Great Tribulation", but it WILL NOT result in the destruction of the world - only the defeat of the Antichrist and the NEW beginnings of the World under the Kingdom of the Lord.

2. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

well ... if you mean the fact that scientist are saying that they are predicting an 80% chance of massive solar flairs off the sun strong enough to shut down all the computers and electrical plants ? ...   
           to answer your question.     maybe we are?

If you are talking about the supper volcano under Yellowstone Park blowing cause it is a long over due? 
      ...   maybe we are in those times?

If you are talking about approx. 30% of the world population going to bed hungry tonight ?   maybe we are in those times.

I would go on and on ,    but I might have nightmares tonight.     So I won't.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer.

3. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That depends on whether or not the repubs take back the whitehouse. If they do you can bet we will be moving in that direction as soon as they get a fresh pot of tea brewed.

1. Jerami profile image58

That sounds like a prophetic message that the republicans are giona win.

4. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

People have thought they were living in apocalyptic times for a long time now. I guess if you take a cosmic look at time then the answer has to be yes. It may take another ten thousand years for the human race to be made extinct through one event or another and cosmically speaking that is not long at all.

5. peterxdunn profile image61
      peterxdunnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The apocalypse as described by the astrologer St John the Divine(R) refers to events that were - for him and his contemporaries - 'At hand' (in his own words) - put simply, he fully expected his 'prophecy' to be played out in his own lifetime.

Revelation both calls for - and describes (predicts) - the destruction and break up of the Roman Empire (the beast from the sea) so to call it a prophecy is being somewhat disingenuous to say the least (do as I say and what I am saying will come to pass does not equate with predetermination).

Rome (the whore of Babylon) was not, as we all know, destroyed. It went on to absorb Christianity into its own, imperial power structure and the offiicial language of the church of Rome became Latin: the language of The Triumphant Beast.

6. Blessitbe profile image59
      Blessitbeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No one knows when will be the end of times, but I trust in the Lord to help us through whatever may come, GOD BLESS YOU ALL…

1. Blessitbe profile image59
        Blessitbeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No I don't believe we are living in the end of times, not yet, because as God said, I will come like a thief in the night and no one will know when.

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ironic how you describe how death comes as it stands. wink

2. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

Who knows when the human race will die out - not worth worrying about, best thing to do is just carry on enjoying life!

3. AfricanSisters profile image60
    AfricanSistersposted 13 years ago

Yes, we are in the end times

1. Woman Of Courage profile image60
      Woman Of Courageposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Most definitely! No one know the exact time or date, but we are now living in the endtimes. These events have been happening for a long time. The frequency of the events are getting worse than before and this is a sign we are in the endtimes.

1. DaKingsKid profile image73
        DaKingsKidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Matthew 24 good place i'd like to refer too...

Like contractions during birth, each are getting closer and closer....

Agreed. It's very obvious. Everyone need to wake up and take a look around them.

So many in the forums claim to know truth. Or that the Christians need to admit that they can be wrong... Ah Hello the truth is not a teaching, nor is it a doctrine, nor is it an interpretation of the bible by any one individual. Truth is a person. Jesus Christ is the Truth. And in the End you either know the Truth or ya don't. Really what matters is that you are know by Him.

That's the wake up they need. To open the eyes in which they may have never view through. Spiritual eyes... You can only see the Truth when you are born again people...

WoC nugget of truth for YOU.. You name is etched on the palm of your Fathers Hand.... He knows His Beloved...

They can use the word on each and every Christian, which is out of context and misunderstood, they will still be accountable for attacking a Child of God... One more notch on their belt of transgression they will have to answer for.

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
              Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I feel the love. lol lol

Thank you for the nugget of truth DaKingsKid. smile  There are some things I didn't fully understand until I accepted Jesus Christ in my life. I became spritually alive and could see the light of the truth. I was spiritually dead before I accepted Jesus. God bless you!

Yeah, that's how that Goes..

People need to know, that its not what you think you know, but who you know in the end that matters.

Blessings too...

2. DaKingsKid profile image73

Mark I hope so.. More than a feeling, its a fact.. YOU are loved.. Embrace it and enjoy it..

I just thought of Rev 3:20 for ya...Knock.. knock....

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
                  Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oops - I forgot you true believers do not do sarcasm.

"One more notch on their belt of transgression they will have to answer for."

Please keep your abusive "love" to yourself in the future. Threatening me that I will be held accountable by an Invisible Super Being for "transgressing" against some one such as yourself because I do not agree with your beliefs? Dear me. sad

2. profile image51
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes; we are in the end times as Jesus Second Coming has happened already in the form of Mirza Ghulam Ahmad 1835-1908

4. Fluffymetal profile image77
    Fluffymetalposted 13 years ago

Yes, I do believe the human race will be heavily depopulated over the next few years, but the Earth will keep on living.  Mother Nature is taking her land back, and I say good for her.

It's about time !  Don't cha think?

sory hope ya don't mind me finishing your entance for ya?

sorry.

1. figment profile image75
        figmentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sure do... no problem!

1. figment profile image75
          figmentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

aka Fluffymetal big_smile

2. pennyofheaven profile image79

Mother nature knows how to balance herself I agree. Whether or not that means total destruction for man is highly unlikely, man have that same innate ability

3. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You hippy you! tongue
      Wonder why I like you? big_smile

5. profile image0
    Aleister888posted 13 years ago

While i am not sure if we are living in the "end times" specifically, i can certainly say that the world has significantly degenerated in a number of critical ways and certainly at the very least resembles the "end times"...

1. pennyofheaven profile image79

Oh...so thats what it is...thanks.. Perhaps it is a cleansing and an ending of an era of ways that is no longer useful to the human condition.

6. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 13 years ago

I do not believe we are living in the "end times". The world can be destroy tomorrow, next week, next month or many years from now. We just do not know. We do know one thing for sure, the world will end in 5 to 10 billion years when the sun dies. Mankind have been saying for centuries we are living in the end times because we are constantly witnessing the devastation of many lives from natural causes, war, diseases. etc. All these events have been going on for centuries. People need to just live and enjoy their lives while they can and stop worrying about "end times" or what ever.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Indeed. Everyone freaked out during Y1K, just like they did during Y2K (only with more  lawlessness and debauchery, and fewer computers).

For a while there, every time a comet appeared, people freaked out and thought the world was going to end.

There are pretty much always "wars and rumors of wars."

All of those folks who warn of the impending apocalypse have had to push their due date back at least once. When the world continues not to end in 2012, will the human race finally realize that the doomsayers are a pack of fools and we shouldn't listen to them? Probably not. The doomsayers will just say something like, "Whoops, I forgot to carry the one!" and we'll be gearing up for the next apocalypse party in 2022 or something.

7. profile image52
    Helen Keaneposted 13 years ago

Thanks for replies, it is nice to know what you think.
    There is so much trouble around the world nowadays, it is scary.

1. fits3x100 profile image58
      fits3x100posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I remember reading once that we should pray knowing that it's all up to God, and work like it's all up to us...  I wish I could remember to value each day as if it were the only one, to treat it for what it is...a gift!

2. CMHypno profile image84
      CMHypnoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There has always been trouble in the world - we just get to hear about it more because of TVs, internet, newspapers etc.

8. Dorothee-Gy profile image64
    Dorothee-Gyposted 13 years ago

There are those who say that the reason why we have now the highest number of humans ever living on this planet, is that we all wanted to be here for exactly this time/event, which might very well be a change in consciousness.

I have noticed over the past few years that more people than I ever thought possible, are interested in distinctly "spiritual" (in a non-religious way) theories, and I take that as a sign that we are in a changing state of mind. Consciousness gets clearer and clearer assigned a more powerful role in our daily life and more and more people are open for thoughts and theories about humans coming into their real power as ever before.

If I had a guess, I think the old times, with the belief that everything is determined by chance and we have no influence on what happens to us at all, are coming to an end. But since that means, that with the unveiling of our own power the power of those who want to keep humankind in a fearful and helpless state, gets diminished, there is a more ferocious than ever fight from the ones who deployed these powers so far.

And in this regard, yes, we're living in apocalypsic times, exhilarating, thrilling, and (hopefully) in the end, utterly rewarding, for those who know that they have way more power and strength as they ever would get credit for from those who seem to hold all the strings in their hands.

If you believe in their stories, if you buy their crap of "you have to give up your own freedom and power in order to protect you from evil", then these times can be utterly unsettling...

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"There are those who say that the reason why we have now the highest number of humans ever living on this planet, is that we all wanted to be here for exactly this time/event, which might very well be a change in consciousness. "

I've had this crazy idea about reincarnation, mass extinction of other species, and the proliferation of homo sapiens. Consider the following: if the Hindus are right that at the end of our lives, we get reincarnated as a "higher" species (or caste, if we're already human) if we deserve it, well, all those extinct animals are getting reincarnated up the chain. Now we've got lots of human beings and fewer animals, right? But not enough human beings are deserving enough to get to the point where they become one with the gods, so they keep getting reincarnated back into human beings. Pretty soon, if this trend continues, we'll have no animals and only human beings.

But what with the way some people keep behaving terribly toward each other, perhaps we'll always have a steady supply of people being reincarnated as pigs. In that case, we will always have bacon, which isn't such a sad-looking future.

9. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

I think that we have been living in the apocalyptic times for over 1900 years.
      I agree though that we are living in the ...
    "Last end of the indignation". (Daniel 8:19)

I believe that these prophetic time lines that are referred to throughout prophesy are of most importance when attempting to understand prophesy.

I also believe that the last days as spoken of by Jesus are not the same as this "Last end of the indignation".

Thank you Jerami, I will rephrase my earlier statement. I believe we are now living in the last days of the endtimes. smile

sorry it took so long to reply.  Was dressing a ham  down to sandwich meat.

I wasn't specifically addressing anyone or thing but pointing out something that should be of interest.   The days of indignation  and THE  Last days of indignation???

These and a few other issues do deserve a great amount of contemplation.  I think..

That's ok, I hope you enjoy your sandwich.

10. Bill Manning profile image66
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

No. smile

11. DaKingsKid profile image73
    DaKingsKidposted 13 years ago

Yes the last days. I think the attention brought back on Israel is a key to discerning the times. One world currency will be another. Like Road markers Which point you in a certain direction.

Maybe most are on the wrong highway all together, and need a detour?

So how long ago was the mid evil days? or Mid evil times? And how much time has passes since then?

The days are like the days of Noah out in the world. Wickedness is rampant and increasing rapidly..

Yes indeed. When I look over the past years, I can naturally observe a dramatic increase of evil in this world today, and I am quite sure many others do also.

1. profile image0
        Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

maybe that's because there's more people in the world & more news coverage?  There's always been evil people/evil acts.  New drugs that didn't exist formerly etc

I agree there is more news coverage now. Anyone can noticed evil acts were not as frequent in the past without much media coverage. It's too obvious to notice with your own eyes. Everyone have a choice to ignore this if they prefer.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it's so obvious, then you should have no problem explaining it, right? smile

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

While it would be a complete waste of time attempting to question such a claim, as it is obvious this is just the believers typical hatred of mankind, doom and gloom worldview, yadda, yadda, yadda, and has been for centuries, we should at the very least try to compare the times we live in now to the times of either world wars, for example. Wouldn't those times be more relevant to living in the end times? smile

12. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 13 years ago

peterxdunn  wrote ...
       Revelation both calls for - and describes (predicts) - the destruction and break up of the Roman Empire (the beast from the sea)
    - - - - -  -

I would without ANY doubt, agree that the Roman Empire is the beast from the sea as described in Daniel 7:7.  However..
      I'm pretty darn sure that this beast in Revelation 13:2,  has very many things in common , thus the similar description.  but is a separate entity. The beast of Rev. would be the Church that the Roman Empire built.  Later to become known as the Holy Roman Empire.
      Rev13:2 " ... and the dragon gave him his power,and his seat, and great authority".
       In 326AD Constantine gave his palace in Rome to the Church that he had just created.   And in 380 the emperor gave the church official status as the only acceptable religion in all of the empire.   The power has shifted.
    ==========================================================

peterxdunn  wrote ...   
        Rome (the whore of Babylon) was not, as we all know, destroyed. It went on to absorb Christianity into its own, imperial power structure and the official language of the church of Rome became Latin: the language of The Triumphant Beast.

- - - -
      I would suggest just the opposite.  The Church absorbed the Roman Empire.

Rev 17:18  And the woman which thou sawist is that great city which reigneth over the kings of the earth.
       The Pope in Rome did in fact, for hundreds of years, rule over the kings that ruled over all of the Christian controlled countries.

I think we are thinking kinda alike?

1. Castlepaloma profile image74
      Castlepalomaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I strongly believe in self prophesy, there will be a great abuse done to our earth and to its people. History will repent its self for some 100s of millions of people will die before we realize our own abuse, then we will evolves to a higher level of kindness and intelligence.

I really I don’t faith in any of the believers that the world will end, because none of them will sell me their land cheap, so their talk is cheap too.

1. profile image52
        Helen Keaneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like that re: not selling land cheap...very good.

13. profile image51
    paarsurreyposted 13 years ago

Almost all religions have mentioned of a great chaos at End of Times; this chaos is to be resolved and set right by a reformer named differently due to different languages; yet it has to be a reformer.

The symptoms have been fulfilled and the reformer has come in the form of the Promised Messiah 1835-1908; if the world now accepts him.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)