Go figure! I was at 94, logged in and immediately dropped to 91

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (42 posts)
  1. bgamall profile image69
    bgamallposted 14 years ago

Believe me, I am greatful for a 91, but does this mean I should stay away???? Just kidding, mostly.

1. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
      GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, please--stay away!

Just kidding! Mostly...

...actually, I'm devising some theories on how HubScores work. I'll be doing something about it within the next week or so.

I'm letting it cook in my back minds, first.

Here's a tip, though: Appease the Cow Gods, ProCW, Shirley, and the Hupf.

bgamallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ouch.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Come on in. Blink and look the other way. I've had an up and down range of seven points in the last couple of days. It's normal . . . I think.
      It's kind of like the weather. Enjoy it. The only thing that is certain is, it will change.

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

No..  I dunno...  I'm finding the author score thing really weird.  I was at 96 yesterday...now 93, but I've seen mine drop as much as 6 points, which I find odd.  I'm thinking there are a lot of new hubbers coming on, for one thing, if others have noticed. Maybe that's effecting scores.

I do have those couple duplicate content (my OWN content) mind you, that my friend has not removed from his website...  I was told there is a penalty for that, but!  I'm kinda tired of it.  I'm publishing more, with the hopes it stays at 95 or 96 (hey, perfectionist A student type, anything below that kind bugs me! lol).

The secret is to be lousy enough at writing to discourage the copycats while showing Hubpages a little something:))

3. GeneriqueMedia profile image61
    GeneriqueMediaposted 14 years ago

Lita, without your studentry skills you'd be me.

Oh, I know. It gets scarier. I also live in a van down by the river! ;D

Night all out in HubLand.

G|M

4. profile image0
    girly_girl09posted 14 years ago

I'm not even going to try to figure it out. lol I've seen some really weird patterns, too! smile Instead, I'm spending my time figuring out how to get more traffic! The hubscore, to me, is just more of a community thing and it doesn't help you earn money.

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I have decided Hubscores have no particular rhyme or reason--just a way to get us talking in the forum and writing hubs on th topic smile
    Or maybe it is calculated using very precise NASA like deductions and we will never know how our scores come about....

1. profile image0
      LAmatadoraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have a friend that works for NASA I will ask him about it..LOL JUST KIDDING

6. Tom Cornett profile image80
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

I had 150 hits on a hub overnight and my score dropped from 93 to 91.  Beats me?

1. profile image0

I have given up on the hubscore long ago...once on my old profile I was 100 and then within about 3 hours down to 96... I just gave up!

You joined two weeks ago. You gave up already???? Fast food generaton.

1. profile image0

I have been here for 9 months,,,different profile

7. shibashake profile image81
    shibashakeposted 14 years ago

These are some of my speculations:
    1. Hub scores only truly get updated at certain fixed times during the day. The calculation of hub scores cannot even be close to continuous, given the large number of people on hubpages. So I think what happens is that all our activity gets collected, and it only gets reflected at set update times. So there is always a time lag between activity and score.

2. The rest of the time hub scores are allowed to go up and down within a set range in a randomized fashion. This is just to keep things interesting for us regular people.

3. There are also some hidden statistics, especially the thumbs-up and thumbs-down, that I think has a strong effect on the scores. If your hub is high controversial, and you get lots of traffic, but also a lot of thumbs-down, the traffic may end up hurting your score.

Note: These are all just my own speculations smile

That would discourage controversy. That would be a faulty measurement.

1. shibashake profile image81
        shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I think they should just throw out the thumbs-down button. In the hub score help section it is not listed as a factor - so it is unclear if it really affects the scores. But if it doesn't, then I really do not see a use for it.

2. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, I'd say you're pretty right on with that one. Good answer smile

8. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

One thing I noticed is that those I saw last night with fairly high scores (or could have been everybody) had their scores down exactly 4 points Mon. morning.

I also don't fan people a lot, and don't do a lot of hub reading these days (too busy working, writing my own stuff, forum writing, etc.)  I notice people who do do those things >may< have higher scores. 

I've also noticed the publication of a new hub tends to lower scores initially; then raise it.

One more point:  Those who publish A LOT seem to always remain high.

9. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

I feel your pain. I was at 99 this morning, now at 91.

Wow, 99 to 91. Could be traffic.

2. wittywriter profile image61
      wittywriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This morning I was 96, then I took off to Manchester, when I came home I was 90. I guess I should not go to Manchester. LOL!

Lol, you will have to buy an Iphone and stay logged in. Lol.

2. shibashake profile image81
        shibashakeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should always check with HubPages admin. before making vacation plans. As far as I understand it, if you travel to Berkeley you get an automatic +10 to hub score. Generally as you move farther away from Berkeley this added bonus dissipates and ultimately becomes a negative for places like Manchester tongue

That is true. Manchester is just an outlying satellite! That was funny Shibashke.

10. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I was enjoying a couple of days at my all-time-high range of 97/96 - only to discover the "shocking" drop to 91-93 range over the last day or so.  At least you've had that "one, brief, shining, moment" (or a few of them?) at 99. I'm more like Charlie Brown with the football.

Hey Lisa my son graduated from Bentley College. I was adopted and raised by Gentile parents. I was 3 months old when I was adopted. I read your blog. I think it is noble to adopt and you have the right and knowledge that to your children you are the parent. My parents told me from a young age that they got me. They didn't go into it, it was just a part of me I guess.

11. Anamika S profile image68
    Anamika Sposted 14 years ago

I use to have hubscores ranging from 94-98. And suddenly i have seen it drop to 90-94 and now it has gone down to 88 today. It seems somebody hates me too much..

12. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I was at 95 and my adsense was crap, then I was at 93 and just as crap. I think I am 91 now and just checking, yup my adsense is still crap. So like it matters !

1. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL! Amen to that! big_smile

Some days I make two cents on Adsense, then I'll have a run of $4 days, and I confess I understand none of it and am not sure I want to. I try not to pay attention to my Hub Score, but, like Lita says, some of us (me included) can't help ourselves. We're the ones who always sat in the front row in class. Voluntarily.

Well I am happy to see so many friends here. I want to be 100 for a week. I did see a spike to 95 when I got a lot of traffic for my dont pay credit cards website that has a lot of links to Hubpages on the banking crisis. So I think that I need more eyeballs. People should be attached to those eyeballs, I guess.

13. LondonGirl profile image81
    LondonGirlposted 14 years ago

I would waste no time or effort worrying about it - what will be, will be (-:

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what I was going to say smile I do notice my scores but I don't worry about them. I was almost up to 100 a couple of days ago, now I am 94. I am not going to lose sleep over it.

You guys worry too much about your hubscores; concentrate on the writing and publicizing your hubs.

2. bgamall profile image69

I believe that things play out as established beforehand. It drives the free will people wild. And no I don't want to argue about it. But Londongirl, why the sad face? You are scoring 100!!!

14. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Besides...that number does not define who you are smile we know n loveths n admireths you. smile

Why thank you Lady of the realm!

15. Kudlit profile image61
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

Here's what Hubpages has to say about author hubscore:

#
    How does HubPages determine an author's Status?

Your Status is determined by a combination of your Hubber Score and the number of Hubs you’ve created. This system is very important, because it’s our way of ranking the quality of your Hubs, and it ultimately helps us weed out spammers. Look at the chart below. Your Status is designated by the various names in the chart, i.e. “Hall of Fame”, “Rookie”, “Spammer”, etc.
        HubScore
    # of Hubs     0-24     25-29     30-74     75-100
    400 or more     Stop     Prolific     Elite     Hall of Fame
    100 or more     Spammer     Producer     Very Good     All Star
    20 or more     Rookie     Experienced     Good     Expert
    19 or fewer     Novice     Junior     Average     Prodigy

Note that simply publishing a lot of Hubs won’t boost your Status. This is to prevent spammers from simply dumping loads of content on HubPages. Spammers tend to pack content full of keywords just to drive traffic to their site. Our HubScore algorithm alerts us to these people, and we automatically lower their HubScore (Note the designation on the chart below labeled “Stop” and “Spammer”, and the corresponding low HubScore.)

To boost your Hubber Score, your content must be original and useful. A lot of high HubScore Hubs will lead to a higher Status. And if you have a high status, HubPages will help drive more traffic to your site. High-Status Hubbers bring great value to the Internet community. They reflect well on HubPages, and will be rewarded for their efforts.

16. Kudlit profile image61
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

bgamall, you are an "all star" according to hubpages.

Here's the link to the original article by the way if you want to read more about it:

http://hubpages.com/faq/#hubscore

Thanks Kudlit. You are doing great right away. Welcome.

17. mandybeau profile image58
    mandybeauposted 14 years ago

Hi Yeah happens to me all the time, people love or Hate me, problem is it just seems to be the norm. Score up then down. I am apparently also a All Star.
    So went from Prodigy, skipped Novice then to Expert, and then All Star.

Hi Mandy, what is a "googlebotherer"?

18. Pete Maida profile image60
    Pete Maidaposted 14 years ago

I've never been higher than 95 and I only did that once.  I have no idea how it is fingered out and I even read some things about it.  I did find out that putting a link to my site at the bottom of every hub was a bad thing and I stopped doing that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)