Helium.com has been sold

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 12 years ago

Some writers here also write for Helium (or used to).

It's just been sold. 

http://writingcontentforpennies.blogspo … eover.html

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just discovered that and was just reading their forums/announcement about it.  I just recently stopped rating (they can have my $35 a month  roll because I just can't rate any more of those).  Anyway, it's interesting....

1. stanwshura profile image71
        stanwshuraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay - I've heard figures like this before ($35/month).  A modest sum in the general scheme of things - but a heist compared to my usual monthly take of maybe $10-15).  Well, okay not a bank heist, more like a kick-back (sorry watching/hearing a whole lot a Blech-oyavich, and Slime Dimasi, and flighty Whitey (who's trying to claim he's INDIGENT?????).   Okay okay - so I gotta ask you - how do (or did) you work your way up to those earnings.  I've heard of some crazy good numbers from say Rex Trulove,  Rachelle de Bretagne, Shenni Bubb and others.  Not sure about Melissa Bickel ("Missy") as she's mainly a poet.

Do you literally have to churn out half a dozen articles a day?  And rate 100 or more? 

Just curious what amount of work added up to those sorts of figures you mentioned.

Anyway.  Thanks, and have a great day.

-stan shura

1. Lisa HW profile image61
          Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One Spring I had a "flu thing", so I had little energy for anything but writing.  I spent about a month writing on Helium and got a "ton" of "articles" on there, which gave me a head start.  After that initial spurt, I'd just write there (instead of here) when I felt like it.  I got 500 articles built up (but now they've kicked down to high 400's for "articles" (but they aren't really articles) and another 100 or so as "creative writing".

I wrote to the titles they had (and this was 4 or so years ago, so the titles were different).  Even so, a lot of them did OK in search engines.  (Some are just weird.  lol)   I pretty much stopped writing there (when they got into the whole "writers' collaborative thing" (not right for me), but in the last two years or so I got so I just couldn't rate any more articles.  I'd skip and skip until I got poems to rate, and I'd do a few here or there.   Sometimes I'd use the poem titles as a way to challenge myself in writing a poem, and I'd stop rating. 

It took awhile, but I went from 5 rating stars to 2, which is what I've had up until about a month ago.    As long as you have a rating star your stuff earns and you get paid (if it's over $25).  I did only - like - 4/5 ratings a week, just to get my $30/35, and I kept thinking it was an easy few minutes a week for that much pay.  I was just too burned out with reading stuff I wasn't interested in, and eventually I got so I couldn't stand reading yet one more (often bad) poem.  hmm    So, that's it.   Their new thing isn't just that writers can't delete whatever they want to delete, but now there's the one-year exclusive thing with any articles.  Besides, things are so complicated there now, I really can't deal with learning it all at this point.  hmm  In ways, they were very good to me.  They offered me opportunities that were kind of surprising (but not right for me).

Other than the ad revenue share, I've had the occasional article (or later, license to an article) sold here or there, but that $30-something I mentioned didn't include any of those.  Oh...  I imagine in a few weeks I'll probably go back and spend my fifteen minutes of rating time and get paid each month again.  For now, I'm just too burned out on rating stuff (when I haven't written more than the occasional, silly, poem for years).   hmm

Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Once you know that $35 comes from 500 articles, it sound pretty pathetic, doesn't it?  I bet your earnings per Hub are far far higher than that!

1. stanwshura profile image71
              stanwshuraposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have yet to figure out how to earn anything from Hubpages.  Although, in fairness (and honesty) most of the pieces I've submitted to Hp were dupes - before that was officially disallowed. 

One other writer on here, for whose own privacy I'll not mention, said to me that  she actually earns (or earned - we have to catch up) more here than on AC (associatedcontent), where we first encountered each other('s writing).

I have literally made not one cent from here.  I know part of the reason is that I didn't know how to set up all that monetizing stuff.  I just wanted to write a piece (my heart prefers poetry, but my wallet guided me to TRY to write to titles that were both popular and at least somewhat interesting to me - and to which I could write with competence) - and submit it to every UGC (user-generated content) site that I knew.  Granted, my non-poetry stuff ended up being rants - well-written but CLEARLY opinion/editorial, and so not every site's cup of tea.  But, a couple of years ago when I started doing this online writing thing, every piece I wrote was a dupe submit. 

That included helium (which is my first online writing experience - and to which my loyalty remains), as well as AssociatedConent. thisisbyus(TIBU - no longer exists), editred (no longer exists), disaboom (not a money-generating site -but which is personally very important and meaningful to me because it caters to and features writers with disabilities)...what else - helium, ac, hub, tibu, editred, - I guess that's it.  The only factor that influenced this was that some sites had more liberal standards wrt the nature and expression of content (sexual/violent - not my thing, but also allowed f-bombs and the like, which, especially in my political/legal pieces, would surface every once in awhile).

Any, back to the earnings thing, at Helium - and I think most of the others too, your earnings are residual - you don't have to write 500 articles for every $35 you're gonna earn.  Still, you of course want to write to topical titles, but I think the residual income is a pretty darned cool thing.   That, and if you fancy yourself any kind of "real" writer, you're working at it (almost) every day.  I wouldn't expect to make any real money at this unless I actually treated it like a job - writing/marketting/promoting my stuff for 40 hours a week at least - and of course soliciting work from paper publications and the various marketplace publishers associated with the aforementioned UGC sites.

Still - that I do have a full-time job (that I absolutely adore, love and am grateful and blessed to have - working with disabled kids, who are God's angels on this Earth!) - means that I can be happy with an approach that earns me between $40-100 a month - and more if I take a more disciplined and regular approach to the commercial writing, and actually submitted to more marketplace publishers for their $5-20/piece listings.

Hub for me is a fading thing, I'm afraid - only because of that recent freakin' Google upheaval, and that if I'm gonna submit a piece that I can't submit elsewhere - Helium is still my first choice.

Sorry, K.... wink

-stan

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
                Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello Stanley, I first started writing at Helium and managed to do well, even selling a few creative pieces.  But I got banned for exposing their lies to the members and they still make money on my articles.  There is even a KindleBook with one of my stories featured for sale on Amazon.

I get nothing for it, of course, as I get nothing for the articles they kept and still display on their grubby little site.  Personally, I hope they go belly-up in the near future.

I still make many times the money here than Helium offers to its members.  Just my own personal experience with the site.  smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

So, what parts of the "monetizing stuff" have you managed to set up?  I hope you have an Adsense account, at least! 

Well, HubPages offers more residual income than Helium, because you don't need to rate here.  I could go away and ignore HubPages for a year, and I'd still be earning - whereas I have to visit Helium regularly to rate, otherwise I wouldn't earn a cent.

Also, I've averaged less than an article a month at HubPages and still, even after the Google upheaval, am earning a decent amount every month.

I'm a bit rushed right now but I'm going to take a look at your articles and may pop back in with some advice - whether you take it or not is entirely your privilege.

2. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I read about this several days ago on the Helium forums, Marisa.  The usual "great news for writers" BS was bandied about by the Rev and the usual cheerleaders. lol

3. Earth Angel profile image60
      Earth Angelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Good Morning! Interesting news about Helium.com! One of the reasons I never wrote for them had to do with them keeping the copyright on all writing! Here at HubPages the copyright remains with each author/Hubber! Blessings, Earth Angel!

2. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 12 years ago

I've been earning about $1 a month with 29 articles on Helium and a little over double that with 20 articles here using HP Ads, so I'm fairly underwhelmed with both.

I've got Helium rating down to about 20 minutes a month to keep at 1-2 rating stars.

I've now switched off HP Ads and gone back to Adsense since at least their stats don't keep freezing.

I invested in Market Samurai, but so far all it tells me is that all the key words I find for things I could write about are rubbish! My best performing hub, which scores reasonably well in MS is on page 4 of Google.

So now I now longer have a clue what to write. I am useless at technology and not in the least interested in fashion, celebrities and pop music. The only popular area I do know a lot about from personal experience is weight loss. However, that topic is now being penalised here.

My true, serious interests are not crowd pullers by any means smile

I've tried the backlinking business. I've found I get a minor blip of visits on a targeted hub for a day or two as a result, so I might get 3-4 visits instead of 0-2, but that is all.

I started writing hoping to set up some residual income, so I can at least stop working 12-18 hour days when I reach "retirement" age (can never retire because pension fund is too small), but that is a fast fading dream.

My experience with Helium is far, far worse than that!  Even after Panda, my Hubs do several times better than my Helium articles.  And consider that you've given away first rights to your Helium articles for pennies - whereas here on HubPages, you still have total control and can delete them at any time. 

Your choice, but bear in mind it's how much you're earning that matters, not whether you can see those earnings!   I had a similar reaction - I much prefer the information I get from Adsense.  But I had to be sensible and switch HP Ads back on, because they're paying better overall.

Join the club!  I didn't buy MS after the free trial, because I would've been totally demoralised.  According to it, I shouldn't even bother trying to write about dancing, because I have no hope of competing.  Strange, because before Panda, I was earning $1,000 a month from HP and my websites combined.

So you see, Market Samurai doesn't know everything.

That's great, because technology, fashion, celebrities, pop music and weight loss are all over-saturated topics, with far too much competition from other writers.

That may be true - but by the same token, how many websites exist which cover those topics well?  You're far from being the only person interested in those subjects, and you might be surprised how many other people would find your website if you can write informatively on your subject.

If you have an unusual niche, you'll find backlinking becomes much easier.  Join forums on your topic and participate - you'll pick up on what people want to know and can write blog posts (or Hubs if you prefer) to answer those concerns, then you can start posting a link to your site/Hub when someone asks the question.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I don't bother writing regular articles on Helium. I write news stories that pay me $3 each...no having to rate...

I also write for Helium Content Source. You apply to write specific articles and get paid for them, you are not competing with anyone. The current brief I am working on is for blog posts for $10 each (3 a week) on a separate site where I have a byline.  Still not my favorite site to write for but I feel better knowing I am actually getting paid. Before this it took me over 3  years to reach payout. Now I make payout every week.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)