clinical depresion

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (80 posts)
  1. louron profile image56
    louronposted 13 years ago

American psychiatrists have found useful than depression, according to The New York Times and Jon Lehrer, author of "How do we make decisions. " Scientific basis for the necessity of suffering led at the time Darwin, himself prone to depression. "Pain or suffering of any kind, if they last long, cause depression and weaken the active force, but they are well adapted to living being protected from any large or sudden disaster" - explains Darwin's autobiography. Sometimes it is depression causes the animal to choose the most favorable manner, the scientist wrote.

2. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 13 years ago

I find depression useful to keep me grounded.

1. amymarie_5 profile image67
      amymarie_5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think you're right about that.

3. Jefacity profile image58
    Jefacityposted 13 years ago

Why be depressed when you can be happy??? seems like a simple choice to me.

1. dkanofsky profile image57
      dkanofskyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You might want to do a little bit of research on depression. No body chooses to have depression, especially clinical depression.  That's like saying  you choose to have diabetes or epilepsy.

1. TheSenior profile image60
        TheSeniorposted 12 years agoin reply to this

While I do agree that nobody chooses to have depression - depression is brought upon first either by the person's thoughts or by chemicals in the body that don't connect with each other like they should.  This may start off by being just the blahs, however if not talked out - then a depressive state can and will follow.

Very true.

2. amymarie_5 profile image67
      amymarie_5posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nobody chooses to be depressed. It's an illness. I've been battling it my entire life.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Many people suffer terribly and for many years with depression.

I have 2 people I am close to who have suffered long term with diagnosed clinical depression.

I hope you are getting the help you need. smile

4. smcopywrite profile image61
    smcopywriteposted 13 years ago

i dont believe anyone should be depressed or down if you dont have to be. its sad that some of us in society have to struggle with depression but i dont believe that anyone should be down if they dont have to be. i am not certain it makes you a better person than someone that has not suffered from depression
    i wouldnt go by information distributed many years ago by someone that had an inkling of what psychiatry is truly about. thats like still believing the earth is flat.

5. WriterDJ profile image60
    WriterDJposted 13 years ago

In ways that many people choose to eliminate the depression that is:

1. Listening to music (49 percent)
       2. Roads (44 percent)
       3. Reading (41 percent)
       4. Watching movies (36 percent)
       5. Hanging out with friends or family (36 percent)
       6. Playing video games or browsing the internet (33 percent)
       7. Nap (32 percent)
       8. Pray (32 percent)
       9. Eating (28 percent)
      10. Spending time hobby activities (27 percent)
      11. Go to the religious (19 percent)
      12. Shopping (15 percent)
      13. Smoking (14 percent)
      14. Drinking alcohol (14 percent)
      15. Sports (10 percent)
      16. Go to the spa or massage place (10 percent)
      17. Meditation or yoga (7 percent)
      18. Visiting expert mental

6. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

There's a HUGE difference between situational depression -- which can be alleviated by these activities.
    If you've ever suffered from clinical depression you know that even doing ALL of these things will not make a dent.
    It is NOT a choice. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain.
    It's biological and needs treatment, just like other organic diseases.

The suffering artist is a stereotype, but there does seem to be a strong corrolation between genius and mental illness.
    Doesn't mean you can't be a great writer, artist, etc. if you're sane!

You are right clinical depression is not a choice and the standard treatment has proven itself to be extremely effective.  However there are complimentary self help coping skills that I've learned and are effective in the short term. They include walking, deep breathing, laughing, listening to music, and support groups among others.

2. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the biggest problem is when these activities are taken to the extreme, then they don't alleviate depression.  they make it worse.  (through escapism)

7. HattieMattieMae profile image60
    HattieMattieMaeposted 13 years ago

I back you up on that one Mighty Mom! For Real!

8. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 13 years ago

Depression is anger without enthusiasm.

9. DIYweddingplanner profile image75
    DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years ago

Am I the only one that completely didn't understand this post and saw it made no sense?!

This is an excerpt from one of this hubber's articles, all consisting of spun or duplicate content.

1. Rafini profile image82
      Rafiniposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well now, That explains it!!

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Glad you pointed that out, I must admit I was thinking it too smile

I should add I am also a long term depression sufferer, and seem to spend half my life getting others to believe it is a real and serious condition.

Telling people to 'buck up their ideas and get on with it' does not solve the root problem, yet so many people seem to think this is the answer!

10. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 12 years ago

Similarly, scientists have also studied the behavior of dead people and have discovered that they at 100% less likely to make mistakes and mental errors in judgement.

Case in point... since Darwin's passing, none of his post-life observations on the nature of man's origins have been disputed.

1. DIYweddingplanner profile image75
      DIYweddingplannerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cue hysterical laughter

1. Disturbia profile image59
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

Thank you, Disturbia.  Now I feel not quite so depressed anymore.  Laughter IS the best medicine! smile

11. Spirit Whisperer profile image74
    Spirit Whispererposted 12 years ago

This is a prime example of mass hypnosis. DIYweddingplanner is the only one awake here and the author of this topic has to be congratulated for his/her ability to get people to make sense of nonsense and then answer questions about it. Brilliant!

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

so what that the OP is garbage.  People are able to move past that & talk about a topic that is still belittled & stigmatised

1. Spirit Whisperer profile image74
        Spirit Whispererposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you read the opening post you will see that everyone is writing about depression but don't seem to have read the spam that the author has passed off as a legitimate question. DIYweddingplanner is the only other hubber to have noticed. Check it out.

1. profile image0

yes, I noticed and I also noticed that people have got past that and have generated good discussion about a topic that is stigmatised

12. Niki Hampton profile image60
    Niki Hamptonposted 12 years ago

I have to say I'm a little surprised at the completely lack of knowledge and regard some people have expressed. Depression has nothing to do with choice and, yes, I have personal experience. I have bi-polar and was determined to battle it myself for years. It was a serious, ridiculous losing battle. I found self-medication through meth was about the only thing that kept me from completely bouncing off the walls. Then I met my current husband (marriage #2 for me) who is a recovering addict/alcoholic. We decided to get clean. A month later I was pregnant with our first (we now have 4). After a REALLY bad couple of years I had to admit I needed help. I have now been on meds for about three years and have never been in more control over my life. The point is: There is my-best-friend-moved-away depression and there is my-life-is-so-overwhelmingly-disgusting-I-should-not-be-a-part-of-it depression. They are not even in the same realm.

1. Monisajda profile image61
      Monisajdaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with you, only people who experienced real clinical depression know you can't heal it with a good movie or a song. There is a difference between feeling blue and depression.

1. profile image0

it's not healed by a 'relationship with god' either.

13. profile image49
    pleasure11posted 12 years ago

If there is happiness ,there is sorrow too.I usually watch comedy movies to flash depression.

14. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Many seemed to have missed the word clinical here.

A chemical imbalance where serotonin is not available to the brain and dopaminergic processes do not work is nothing to do with feeling a bit low for a while. It can be severe and require great skill to find the right treatment to suit any individual.

Winston Churchill called it the black dog, and suffered terribly from it, as have many other well know figures.

This is so true and the reason why clinical depression is so intense.  A depressive episode can strike out of the blue at anytime and does not need any environmental stimuli to cause it.

15. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I've battled depression for years. It's a tough road. I don't believe in using medication, except as a last resort for anything, so I finally pulled myself around by sitting myself down. Every time I feel it coming on, I try to keep focus of the fact that the only reason for it is in my head. Simply accepting that you have a problem is a tremendous step in overcoming it.

There are certain things that can trigger it for me. Even small amounts of alcohol, less than a glass of wine, can cause me to wake up so horrible depressed I can't function. So, I assume mine has something to do with a chemical imbalance.

You can just about guarantee it is chemical inbalance in origin.

The uptake of serotonin has a profound effect on depression, the trouble is, the chemical process to provide access is complex and seldom easy to maintain without the down side of further depression later on.
      Usually doctors prescribe a Mono Amine Oxydase Inhibitor.

When people take an MAOI or SSRI (Selective Serotonin Re uptake Inhibitor)These types of drug often give unexpected side effects, some almost as bad as the depression it is trying to reduce.

MAOI's take 6 or even 8 weeks to take effect, SSRI's can be instant.

I feel the MAOI's flatten the life experience too much to be considered worthwhile, with results only slightly better than placebo.
      SSRI's (old and fairly dirty drugs these days) have different but similar problems.

This is chemical rebound.

A simple example of this chemical rebound is seen in those who use MDMA or it's cousin MMDA.

Mood elevation is swift and sure with both, but with such a short half life it is soon over, leaving the patient even more serotonin deprived the day after.

This can be be alleviated somewhat by the use of a common drug about 60 minutes after the MDMA is taken.

I know of one case where MDMA apparently (so far) permanently cured depression and if it is the first time use this is more likely, as preceding doses never attain the same level of well-being to potentially "reset" the nervous system.

For those who use it constantly there is some possible risk of brain damage too. That needs more research.

Psychological addiction is a potential with any drug which elevates mood, but I feel the risk is low with some depressed people.
      I am happy to provide the little I know to anyone who feels a need to investigate ways to deal with the mental pain or find university studies about drugs used to help those with clinical depression. smile

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I appreciate the information, but like I said; I believe in using your brain first, and drugs as a tool of last resort. Drugs suppress symptoms; therefore not allowing your body the information it requires to adjust itself. The human body is much more resilient than people realize.  I guess if I ever thought I was seriously contemplating suicide, I'd go in search of help; but like you noticed, it definitely must be a chemical imbalance so I just meditate on that awhile and it passes away after a day or two.

I can count on one hand the number of prescriptions I've had filled in the last twenty years. The best advice I ever heard a doctor give was that  for 98% of all the reasons people have for visiting a doctor, if they had simply waited 24 hours they would have been better anyway.

2. profile image0

you might be salicylate sensitive like me and my son.  Salicylates in plants (eg fruit) affect our moods bigtime.  Asprin is a salicylate & ibuprofen is chemically similar - just a little rubbed on my wrist makes me depressed for hours.  Gets in the bloodstream & messes with my brain. We select foods lower in salicylates.

This is not as uncommon as some may think, and certainly worthy of personal research when looking for a reason why depression has been triggered. smile

1. profile image0

my undiagnosed dairy allergy & celiac disease was a huge factor - eating gluten & dairy throw my immune system into such array that no wonder I ended up with depression - I was chronically exhausted

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's very interesting. I'll have to do some research.

16. MellyMoo profile image60
    MellyMooposted 12 years ago

I have battled depression for many years, trying my best to 'fix' it myself because of what I had seen some family members go through in psychiatric hospitals, with medication.  Alot of the time when I had the depression, I did not even know it at the time, so it has made parts of my life very confusing.  It is like living in smog and walking alone.  Only last year, I finally realised that it is a physical illness and is not my fault and I cannot 'fix' it.  I am very much into health and fitness and take good care of myself, however sometimes I can do all the right things and still wake up with the heaviness of depression (clinical depression).  I will take the tablets, as long as they keep enabling me function so much better and to be a better version of myself.

1. profile image0

not blaming yourself is essential to recovery, I believe.  I had so much guilt & blame piled on me from my former christian background.

2. earnestshub profile image80

MM I agree. If you are fortunate enough to find a medication that works, keep taking it until it doesn't work or you are cured.
      I wish you all the best with that. smile

If you read the opening post you will see that everyone is writing about depression but don't seem to have read the spam that the author has passed off as a legitimate question. DIYweddingplanner is the only other hubber to have noticed.

1. profile image0

so what?  Give yourself a gold star if it makes yourself feel better

One gold star coming up! I feel better already. Thank you Bear.

2. DIYweddingplanner profile image75

Thank you, Spirit Whisperer.  I feel validated and not so depressed now!

Did you notice the aggressive reaction when this is pointed out. It is like watching a dog with a bone  you dare not go near until he has finished chewing!

I did notice that and you get a gold star from me for pointing out the obvious.  It was kind of a tip-off when depression was mispelled and the first sentence made no sense!

Yipee two gold stars in one day!

You're rich! smile

I have just been told that you are a respected hubber so does that mean I have to bow every time you reply? I think someone should write a hub about the pecking order in HubPages Forums so us less respected hubbers know how to behave when we brush shoulders with the elite among you! lollollol

2. Aficionada profile image80
              Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Aggressive?  Are you serious?  Your reaction is the one that seems to be like a dog with a bone.

Baileybear, a respected Hubber, pointed out to you very neutrally, unemotionally, that other people had gotten past the spam-like quality of the OP to discuss a serious, stigmatized matter that needs more attention and discussion.  That is what is being done here.

DIYweddingplanner is also a respected Hubber and she, quite correctly, pointed out that the OP was spammy.  But that does not in any way negate the seriousness of the subject.  It doesn't invalidate the need for discussion.

Forum threads often take on a life of their own and I, for one, am very glad that this one has done so.  Let's keep the important discussion going.

Go for it ...you can keep your bone oh respected one!

1. Aficionada profile image80
                  Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This truly is humorous.  Your profile says that you treat depression (among other conditions) with hypnotherapy.  So, here you have had the perfect opportunity to share with others who are concerned about the subject what you consider to be the value of using hypnotherapy as opposed to more traditional forms of therapy - when it might be preferred or not; the possible advantages and disadvantages of it; when it would be contraindicated, etc.  Instead, you appear to mock anyone who does not seem to agree with your dismissal of this forum thread.

Or maybe.... hm.... maybe you are actually the OP in disguise, hoping for exactly the kind of advertisement I have just given you?  Hahaha - congratulations!  lol  lol  lol

No, that's multiple personality disorder which belongs on another thread! smile

2. Spirit Whisperer profile image74

Thank you oh holier than thou lady...How have I managed all these years without your guidance. lol

On amore serious note, I think you are all doing very well without my input. The only people who come to me for help are those who who wish to cure themselves. Not everyone is really interested in that though they complain about the condition  a lot. You can discuss the symptoms of depression until the cows come home but that will not get you any closer to curing it. I have treated many  people  with the condition and the GPs here refer patients to me as a result of my success.

The comments I read here show no signs of what I would look for when I interview a potential client. I only take on people who are serious about getting better because ultimately it is the client who does the work. I am just a guide.

3. profile image0

yes, I noticed the irony too

2. profile image0

yes, I pointed out neutrally that, yes we notice the OP is garbage, but we can move past that....SW didn't seem to read though & kept repeating themselves to distraction which was a bit irritating...yes, I meant to be a little sarcastic about the star

3. profile image0

aggression?  You call directness and mild sarcasm aggression?

lol

3. earnestshub profile image80

I ignored it in the interest of attempting to help those who posted with clinical depression, I also noted the structure and poor English.
          smile

As usual, you have a good heart, Earnest!

Thank you. It's nice when others care.

I like it, so I figure some others will too. smile

This is such a difficult area of mental health, and still not well understood.
              Those who need help also need a very careful look at what that help entails.

I love my hubmates here. To get a sweet comment like yours enforces my belief that people are basically good. smile

Except for when we're bad, of course!  smile

I think that's why I was so irked to begin with, because people immediately started a tiff without even really reading the initial post which was spam

It is a real issue and it deserved a better thread.

17. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

Well as you can see, they have plenty of problems, so avoiding them when you can sounds like a great idea.

exercise is one proven way to increase access to serotonin, that much I am sure of and more doctors are seeing it as a good alternative as the uptake is natural. smile

1. Julie2 profile image60
      Julie2posted 12 years agoin reply to this

earnestshub, I have resigned to doing this now and it is WORKING for me.smile I exercise by doing the "Just Dance" games with my kids or by myself. I like it. It has helped me.

That is good news! I love good news! smile

18. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

It's nice to see the emphasis on exercise here.  I think we could all use a little more (maybe a lot more big_smile) serotonin and endorphins.  Ahhhh!!!!  There are so many benefits that come from exercise - mental every bit as much as physical - that I really wish our education departments would insist on more physical activity, instead of making it increasingly more optional, as students progress through the grades.

I want to express an apology to louron, if she ever returns to this thread, for referring to her post as "spammy." It really isn't.  It's written in inadequate English, but louron is from Ukraine. I really think it would be worthwhile to encourage her to upgrade her English, rather than to pick on her for its faults.  Maybe I'm just feeling mellow towards her because she made reference to one of my favorite books of all time, Jonah Lehrer's "How We Decide."  And then also, all of the people I've ever met from Ukraine have been exceptionally gifted at learning languages.  For all we know, English may be the tenth or twentieth language louron has learned.  And I certainly can't communicate in Ukrainian - even inadequately.  lol  lol

19. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

Exercise isn't a cure for depression, but it sure can help! Getting moving does a lot for the body, brain and attitude. It even gives me more energy. I'm rarely blue after a 4 mile walk, and it sets the tone for the rest of my day, so I try to do it early in the day.

Some ppl LIKE to point out others' mistakes and they can't even join a conversation without making sure everyone saw what was wrong, as if we'd missed it. I believe the OP is of a different language and did the best she could. It wasn't total gibberish, I understood what she was getting at.

It really has nothing to do with liking to point out mistakes and everything to do with trying to improve this site.  I read the initial post, recognized it as spun, googled an excerpt and found out it was duplicate content.  So I flagged it.  And if you looked at the OP's profile, you see it has been taken down.

Well you are a good hubber for doing that.

I'm glad it got us together here to discuss CD all the same! smile

All things working together for good just as it should.

Oh, Earnest, is there an American version of you?! smile

20. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

They used to call it melancholia (melancholy) and prescribed extensive travelling around the world as a cure. Now they just feed you drugs... The worst part of it - when you have it you actually do not want to do anything, do not feel like it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)