Help, elder abuse??

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. schoolgirlforreal profile image78
    schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years ago

The facts:

My dad told me tonight he'd rather be in the nursing home.
    He was taken out a few days ago by family who want to save $.

His care at home is not so good. I was told it would cost $2,000 a month to be in the nursing home which is his pension check, that's all. No losing houses, whatever.

My Mom wont have it.

Abuse?

Yesterday I saw my dad on the potty for an hour, I came home and he was on it, and my sister who is nursing him, was out, it took an hour for her to help him

Last night my brohter ignored dad's calls to help him pee. I had to tell my brother.

I am not a nurse and I cannot lift my dad, my sister was a nurse, she gets paid for the hours she is here.

So....I want my dad to get the proper care.
    I believe it's more important : people above money.

I guess other family members disagree, but not all.
    Some are trying to talk my mom into getting the lawyer and getting dad back in the nursing home.

1. Rpenafiel profile image61
      Rpenafielposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Whether you place your dad in your home or in a nursing home, it would be very helpful if you would give your dad a cell phone with an emergency response system. With this device, you can easily monitor his safety; hence, you can secure that he is safe from the abusive hands. You can note that today’s technology can be very helpful in ensuring the safety of our elderly. So seize it! You can check the usefulness of a cell phone with emergency response system in enhancing the safety of your dad here: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Can-A-Cell- … p-You-Safe

2. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Always people over money. But before you put a loved one in a nursing home make sure you get a very good look at the facility and know it well. Too many nightmare stories to tell from caregivers as well as those who have had loved ones in nursing homes.

schoolgirlforrealposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, good point. Do you think he'd be better off at home with less care? He did say once a night nurse was ruff with him. But one case compared with crappy home care?

1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
        Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's a tough call. I'm home with my grandmother so I can safely say that although there are only a few members of the family helping out, she's in good hands. In a nursing home, however, I don't really know what to expect. So I am sure there is no easy answer to that. But if he is insistent on moving to the nursing home, his request should probably be honored.

2. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I work in a nursing home and I will say most of us take good care of the elderly...

1. R.S. Hutchinson profile image69
        R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I was like, "awwweee!!!!" until I read, "most of us" ... then I was like, "Grrrrrr!!!"

3. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

The bottom line, assuming he is mentally competent, is what your Dad wants.  You don't seem to mention this?

Yes he is mentally competent.
      I could have hessco come by and ask him , as long as he's not influenced by my mom ,

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 12 years ago

Since they're elderly, is there some kind of case worker (maybe associated with wherever they get their income, or else, maybe, associated with their insurance?  Or else could you talk to your father's doctor about what's going on?  Maybe all anyone needs is to have someone talk to them about being more attentive, or maybe the doctor (or case worker) could talk to your father about what's going on or not going on.  Or, what about your town's/city's senior center?  Can  you or another sibling (not the ones taking care of him) ask him, when nobody else is around, if he'd want to be in the nursing home if things were better?  Does he think he's a burden on people?

People dealing with situations like you've described usually know how things work and why.  They understand that it's challenging to care for someone like that.  Can't someone get a home health aid or maybe a nurse (paid for by Medicare, I think, under certain circumstances)? 

Would your father still want to be in a nursing home if things improved at home?  I think he needs someone from outside to talk to him and see what's going on and why.  As far as I know, Medicare covers things like commodes or equipment he might need that might help him a little.

I basically have no say in that I'm the youngest and they're leaving me out and they are all after the money. I didn't think so, I'm niave I guess. It's not the way I would think.

5. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 12 years ago

Having worked nursing homes for a long time and having written a book about it, I have to say that yes, sometimes family members take advantage of seniors,but then, at the high price of nursing homes,so do they.  Nursing homes aren't evil people, just not places where freedom abounds either,many, many rules, unlike home. I would contact the local office for the aging and most areas have elder abuse case workers. But office for the aging is a good start.I know you want what's best for your dad.

1. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I have worked in one for 9 years. You are right on this....

6. Aficionada profile image79
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

There are also (private) agencies that provide in-home assistance other than nursing care.  That could include things like bathing or showering, dressing, getting to the bathroom, etc.  It is not a free service, but it does cost less than a nursing home and it might provide a balance between some of the different needs and wants you have mentioned.

I agree that your Dad's wishes need to be considered too, but in the end it shouldn't be about just what everybody "wants" but rather about what is best for him.

thankyou

7. R.S. Hutchinson profile image69
    R.S. Hutchinsonposted 12 years ago

Put an add up for live in caregiver at a rate of $1000/mo and then do extensive interviews. If they can't live with him, then hire someone full time for $1500 a month M-F 9-6 kinda thing, and family to pick up slack before and after. Just a thought.

8. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

If familial care was based on people not being rude, society would fall apart within days. He's your Dad, find out what he wants and see if you can help.

turns out he was getting my sympathy then went back to, I want to be home to save money. He's stubborn as a mule and rude as heck to me as well.  Nothing I can do except maybe get the heck away from this mess, it's making me sick.

9. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

I really feel for you. I went through the same thing with my grandfather and great aunt when my parents and I cared for them, and I am looking at going through the same thing with my parents. My grandfather was cared for at home until his very last months, and my great aunt was placed in a nursing home because her behaviour was uncontrollable. The care she got at the nursing home was great until it was sold and then it went downhill. We moved her several times and the cycle just repeated itself but even with three of us we could not manage her.

As for my parents, I will probably have to move in with them and hire some burly guy to come and lift them for me, and watch them when I am at work or sleeping. There is a bed and a potty chair that will give an assisted lift; I am looking into those as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)