Flagship hubs - how do you actually get approved?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)
  1. beta1070 profile image60
    beta1070posted 16 years ago

I've spent ages trying to find this. Anyone knows?

2. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Just do a search for flagship.

If I may make a suggestion, though...

Flagship hubs, from all I have seen, are examples of thorough research, quality content, and lots of hours spent compiling information which is directly applicable to the topic.  You may want to spend some time checking out various hubs by folks like darkside, Mark Knowles, Lissie, Isabella Snow (a good writer with a bit of a biting wit) and others. 

Take the chance to read the F.A.Q. and get a few hubs under your belt, just so you're more familiar with the formatting and various tweaks of the site.

With all that said, good luck!

3. beta1070 profile image60

Thanks, I did try that and read several hubs from people like Mark Knowles (I've commented on his hubs before and just joined his fan club). All just kept talking about how to make a flagship hub. So I trawled through the Help section. Still no info on how to get approved. sad

I have no illusions about my ability to knock out a flagship hub tomorrow, but I'd like to know the process for getting approved and it seems that's hidden somewhere out of my reach.

I appreciate your reply, though.

4. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Here is the info on Flagship Hubs:

http://hubpages.com/help/flagship_hubs_more

If you follow that link, you will find out how to get it approved at the bottom of the page.

5. beta1070 profile image60

Ah, that is most helpful. Stacie. Thanks very much.

Sorry to be a pain but that page says I have to review a contract and fax it back. Fair enough, but... the contract isn't available there (you have to email them). Am I being thick or is hubpages making this intentionally difficult for us newbies? sad

But thanks for the very quick help, both of you. I didn't expect replies so quickly smile

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

The deal on flagship hubs is the same whether someone is new or established.  Why are you feeling like you're being treated differently?

2. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 16 years agoin reply to this

They also want photos of your work area (where you'll be writing up your flagship hub) so make sure it's neat and tidy before you take the photos.

And they don't allow you to drink coffee while you're at the computer typing up the hub.

1. darkside profile image63

But seriously... the level of "difficulty" is the same whether you're new or old. They have certain criteria, they have a standard. They have an acceptable level of quality. They want the best.

I'm unsure what the response would be to a newbie recently signed up and just a couple of hubs, but its not unfair that they want to see a good track record.

2. Peter M. Lopez profile image71
        Peter M. Lopezposted 16 years agoin reply to this

You forgot to mention that you have to give 5 credit references and the contract has to be signed in blood. smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think they're trying to ensure they don't raise people's expectations.  If they had the contract freely available on the site, they'd have people signing and returning it along with a fully completed Flagship Hub - assuming it will be automatically accepted.  That's not the case, because it's not enough to include all the components.  You also have to be a good writer.  Not everyone who applies is accepted.

6. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

It is not available there.  You need to email hubpages, requesting to become a flagship author.

Then, they will send you info.

7. profile image50
    broalexposted 16 years ago

hmmm .. Flagship Hubs .. It`s the first time I hear about them , thou is a great opportunity. I also have read some of them , they are great. A lot of topics as well I might try mailing Hubpages to cover one of the Topics. I would have loved "Photo Stocks and Photography" , but it has been already taken by someone sad

Happy Hubbing ! big_smile

smile

8. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Its a good scheme - they pay reliably and on time.  They respond quickly to both topic requests and approvals of the finished hubs- remembering they run on California time.  For more info on hub pages here - sorry there isn't the refered flagship hub list there's a bug preventing me adding it - but you will find the list of existing flagship hubs from Stacie's link above

9. beta1070 profile image60

darskide, I appreciate that there is no extra impediment targeted exclusively at the less experienced. My frustration was at the not very intuitive route to the information. One would expect to find the info in the FAQ/Help or via Search box.

Re. the contract: Marisa, I hear what you're saying,but isn't it preferable to treat us as mature and literate individuals capable of understanding that the acceptance procedure precedes the writing of a FH?

I'm no Shakespeare but I do believe I could put together a good flagship hub or two. Prior to building myself a portfolio of hubs - and a reputation here - I thought it entirely prudent to see how far I could go and what the requirements would be to qualify for.... oh, never mind, I'll leave it  :-(

I do appreciate all your replies though, especially the ones that tried to inject some humour :-)

1. darkside profile image63

I getcha now.

While it may be frustrating that they overlook some of the simple things they are geniuses in their own right. Which is why we have a forum (before it arrived it was VERY frustrating trying to find out how things worked).

Here's my list of Flagship information.

http://hubpages.com/_learn/help/flagship_hubs
      http://hubpages.com/_learn/help/flagship_hubs_more
      http://hubpages.com/_learn/help/flagship_hubs_pool
      http://hubpages.com/_learn/help/flagship_hubs_completed

10. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Perhaps it's a little like the submission requirements of a literary agency - they are so tortuously difficult to understand, that just being able to apply correctly, automatically gets you accepted? big_smile

11. profile image0
    treseroposted 16 years ago

I just completed my first flagship hub, and one thing I can say is they are not supposed to be promoting a business. I believe they are also looking for experts in certain areas, at least that is how I got my first approval.

Do not do this for the money, believe me you will spend more time on this than the payment (I am not complaining at all, I just don't want someone to think this is a 2 hour job and they will make $12/hr)  big_smile. I personally used the money as an incentive to finish, (i.e. no money, no deadline.). It should also help you become credible which may be another goal. If a topic comes up which you understand well, it is a good opportunity. I used mine to evangelize and eliminate some myths.

12. profile image0
    treseroposted 16 years ago

Guess I should have put my flagship hub url wink
    Ale and Lager

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)