How do you check your grammar errors before posting?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (36 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image81
    manlypoetrymanposted 12 years ago

Whit kind'a graemmer eerrors are ya' talking about?

1. Daffy Duck profile image60
      Daffy Duckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I write my hubs on a word document then I copy and paste them to hubpages.

1. earnestshub profile image80
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Am I the only dumb-ass who just puts it up and hopes for the best? smile

I dunno, word threatens me with all sorts of errors such as "passive sentence" and tries to talk me out of writing stuff and steals all my best words like smurgolocious pretending it is not a real word then swiping it and storing it somewhere to give to Microsoft.

I don''t trust Bill Gates software since he started giving all those billions to charity.

Seriously I think I may just be dead slack! lol

1. Lady_E profile image62
          Lady_Eposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol. I like this comment.

Me too! lol

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I have used online grammar checks before, but don't think much of them.  One checker suggested that using the word "lady" was sexist, suggesting that "woman" was the correct word to use.  Yet, the use of "gentleman" went without comment.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There is no grammar checker that does a better job than the human mind that understands how words come together to make meaning.

You check your grammar errors before posting by knowing the rules of grammar. No software can do this for you.

1. Peter Owen profile image60
        Peter Owenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well said - people are constantly looking for technology to solve shortcomings.

Precisely.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I use Word

4. austere125rivers profile image60
    austere125riversposted 12 years ago

Thanks to everybody, but Microsoft Word cannot correct grammatical errors, right?
    There are some smart sites that can correct grammatical errors, but you have to pay.

1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
      Urbane Chaosposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I use Word 2007, and it does a pretty decent job of correcting grammatical errors.  It also has different reports you can run, such as passive sentences and reading ease.  I always write first with word, then move it to my hub.

5. Just Ask Susan profile image90
    Just Ask Susanposted 12 years ago

I use word, and hope that I have not made any mistakes. I am too cheap to buy a program smile

No program can do better than your educated and trained mind. Don't waste your money.

This is true...

...but at the same time, there are instances where a little extra help is needed.  Occasionally, word does pick up on little things here and there.  When it does, I always go back and re-read the sentence to make sure that it's right.  Most of the time, I don't have to worry, but sometimes, the program suggests a re-ordering of words that I wouldn't have thought of.

That's because you already have a grounding in grammar. You're not looking to Word to fix everything that's wrong, only to suggest an alternative to something you might have missed. Word is somewhat good for that, but more times than not, it's WAY off the mark.

You're right about that.. sometimes it does have the tendency to come up with things that are slightly bizarre.

Word still has it's advantages outside of grammar checking though.  It catches a lot of misspelled words, and I've found the reading reports to be invaluable.  Also, my dictation software works perfect with word, which is a huge added bonus.

Word should never be used in place of a good education, but, like any tool, it should be used as such.

1. Joy56 profile image66
              Joy56posted 12 years agoin reply to this

you just cannot beat a good education

Absolutely, agreed.

And I'd like to add that education about writing skills can come from experiences in high school or college or much, much later in life. It depends on whether you really, really want to communicate so that others can understand you.

There is no excuse for faulty grammar when you want to write a public piece. Grammar checkers might be helpful, but only to the extent that you understand the rules of grammar in the first place.

You hit it right on here..

Learning is an on-going process that shouldn't ever end after high school or college.  With writing, I don't believe that anyone ever stops learning.

6. Eleanor's Words profile image94
    Eleanor's Wordsposted 12 years ago

I don't use anything, just read it carefully myself and hope I spot any errors.

7. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

While Word does not get it right all the time, it is very good. I can usually find what they miss.

Word grammar checking will often confuse, and if you are of a sort of mind that goes down irrelevant paths just for the hell of it, then Word is your worst grammar enemy.

2. earnestshub profile image80

I just type into whatever space I have to type in to, be it a forum a form or a  hub text capsule, hope for the best, then find my errors a couple of years later! lol

8. WoodsmensPost profile image62
    WoodsmensPostposted 12 years ago

That little wizard who watches over word does a pretty good job at correcting grammar, I always wondered what his name was or is? 

Actually  I don't check for grammar errors before posting to the forums hmm

He/it sucks, just like the Paper Clip. Or is it the paper clip about whom you are speaking? smile

9. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

I use Word. It picks up typos and misspellings. I also notice the grammar suggestions.  Sometimes I will accept what it says and simplify a sentence construction, because I do tend to write slightly back to front long winded sentences on a first pass.

I tend to just type and type my first draft - it will need a reread and edit anyway, regardless of the grammar and typo issues.

At least it makes the job of building a Hubpage easy - becuase by that time I have a fully constructed piece ready to cut and paste.  And of course I have a copy just in case.

10. jm72writes profile image83
    jm72writesposted 12 years ago

I use Word for the spelling and grammar.  If there are grammar issues, I change it even if it doesn't look wrong to me.  Like the fact that it recognizes sentence fragments.  A lot of writing uses fragments for a casual sound in the article, but many professional sites won't use it, so I change it. 
    After I check with Word, I read it over myself looking for specific things that I have a tendency to have problems with.  I may have to look at it two or three times to make sure I caught everything (and I'm sure I still miss some).  I know it sounds like a lot of work, but I think it's a good practice to get into if I should ever write for someone else.

11. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 12 years ago

I find that I catch at least 95% of my grammatical errors simply by starting at the end of my article, and reading the sentences aloud, one at a time. Then I back up through the article.

If I need a very complex sentence, and I am not sure of the grammar, I diagram it in my head.

Earnestshub, I believe the word you are looking for is actually spelt smurgolocutious (the last half of that word meaning "full of words"). I look forward to reading your hub on smurgs. I must admit that I have not thought much about two midgets fighting in the vicinity of a power cable until you mentioned it (see the Urban Dictionary).

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=smurg

Goodness me! I should have spell checked shouldn't I?

Many people have not considered two midgets fighting under a power line, so don't feel bad about it, no biggy. smile

I like to think of it as a very small niche subject myself. smile

I tried writing about smurgs without the long-tail and got very few hits......the niche was too broad I suppose. smile

12. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 12 years ago

I've always typed my articles in Microsoft Word and then copied them into Hub Capsules, but always proof read prior to copying.

Good Luck.

13. tamron profile image67
    tamronposted 12 years ago

I use a plugin and it works great but it doesn't work in word or any other program it does however work with Google docs.  It works when you make comments,forum post, and in most tett editors

14. tamron profile image67
    tamronposted 12 years ago

I use a plugin or extinction and it works great but it doesn't work in word or any other program it does however work with Google docs.  It works when you make comments,forum post, and in most text editors such as hubpages.  It catches some grammar mistakes and some miss use of words.  Like your you're or there or their http://www.afterthedeadline.com/ I believe you must have firefox but it might work on other browsers and its free and it does not slow your computer down.

15. Jeff Berndt profile image73
    Jeff Berndtposted 12 years ago

I use both the spellchecker in Word and my own eyes to proofread. I wish I had the means to hire a proofreader other than myself, because when a person reads his own writing, he can miss errors that he'd catch in something he didn't write.

Every good writer needs a proofreader, and more times than not, an editor. I am lucky to have a daughter who has this critical eye. She proofs and edits for me and I dog-sit for her, among a few other things. So, we have a trade that works. I think I get the better end of the deal.smile

You may find that you have a friend out there somewhere, with that eye, with whom you can trade.

16. ianrob profile image58
    ianrobposted 4 years ago

I use a combination of tools like Typely (https://editor.typely.com) which I enjoy because it stays away from grammar and it has a feature where it reads back your text and Hemingway to chop down on passive voice and hedging although Typely incorporates many of its features already.
    https://hubstatic.com/14536634_f1024.jpg

Often times I also use Grammarly when the job is serious and I need to double check on grammar.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)