Will I be outcasted?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (83 posts)
  1. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

Hub challenge is in progress and we have a whole bunch of Hubbers busy writing Hub. They have to write more then 3 Hubs each day to complete the challenge.

I am not participating simply because I do not have time. I write my Hub after I go back home from office and on weekends. For me it is only ONE Hub a week. I know it sounds so cheap. Here we have people writing on an average more then 21 Hubs in a week while me, it's just one ... duh and this is the cause of my worry.

After the challenge is over we will have a new bunch of Hubbers coming out with flying colours (that is good). Everyone will be talking about them, they will be talk of the town (Hubpages). They will have huge number of Hubs in their account, huge Hub score and high reputation. They will automatically belong to a new league.

Will that mean poor Hubbers like me will be left behind in Hub numbers (well that will definitely happen, can't help), Hub scores and reputation? Will people still bother to come to my Hub or talk to me? Will I get outcasted?

1. Amanda Severn profile image92
      Amanda Severnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know the feeling Packerpack. I'm trying to write more as I've done very little this year, but I can't begin to aspire to 100 in 30 days, and even 30 would be more than I can manage. If I were writing full time then, maybe. I'm aiming for 10 this month, but can see even that dwindling. Don't fret about the new writers though. Your friends here on hubpages will still remember you, and there's no reason why your hubscore should go south just because there are more hubs.

packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well lets hope so. Hope that I too will get some chance to share the spotlight. Great to know I am not alone. For the past few days it is only 30 day Hub challenge on the forum here. I really got scared, everyone seem to be taking part.

My worry is that it will kill hub-pages traffic to our hubs and we will have to wait for google. That means there's no point in writing anything slight and quirky this month, as our hubbing friends are not around to read and share. So poetry is definitely out!

Well yes this is what could be another problem too. I agree

2. ajcor profile image61
            ajcorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

but poetry is always out Amanda I have poems up that have been up for months and never been sighted by a living soul other than me - only the really interested people read poetry...

Annie, that's too sad. I must admit my poetry does less well than my other hubs, which seems a pity, but I guess not everyone shares our excellent literary taste! LOL!

1. ajcor profile image61
                ajcorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ah Amanda the truth always hurts - somewhere .....lol

1. Hawkesdream profile image65
                  Hawkesdreamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How about the non-challengers set up our own forum where we can notify of our hubs, where they don't get lost among the hundreds hitting our e-mail boxes? Thoughts?

1. goldentoad profile image61
                    goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think its a good idea but I think it too late for that, we just have to ride the wave. I apologize for not reading people's hubs like I am used to, but everything of value is coming in with the gar'bawge, it's getting squished and smashed, so I don't know what's what.

2. packerpack profile image60

Good idea but I don't think it is gonna work because there are 66,600 Hubbers here and even if I take an exaggerated number of Hubbers who have taken the challenge, it won't go beyond 1000. So we are left with around 65,600 hubbers that have not taken the challenge (this logic was earlier suggested by Cris A). So even if 100s of this outcasted hubbers post in the thread. It will be worst then the condition of our inbox. Let it be as it is!

3. Moonmaiden profile image69
            Moonmaidenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poetry is it's own reward. And I'm neglecting mine. But as soon as this hubchallenge is over, I will have to pamper my poetry for a while.

2. profile image0
      \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how could anyone ignore the picture of the birds in a heart.... I know you are only joking, aren't you....

You actually made me smile. I swear! I have received lot of compliments on my avatar. Looks they are really good. I never thought like that.

Well on serious note, it actually occurred to me and it is natural when you hear about something so much but cannot be a part of the same, you feel like being left behind. I thought maybe this would have occurred to other Hubbers like me and hence decided to share my feeling and know what exactly other are thinking about the whole thing.

1. JamaGenee profile image77
          JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're not alone, packerpack. I've had much the same thoughts.

2. profile image0

So you were serious....... I could never attempt it at the moment, I am just not in the right frame of mind, but I love to read the ones that are having a go.........  I really do need to stop writing on here and get some hubs done...

Just wanted to tell someone.   My son emigrated to Florida this morning..... My aunty died yesterday, so I am feeling sooooooo sad.x

1. JamaGenee profile image77
            JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So sorry for your loss, Brenda.  {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
            Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Poor lass - that is a bit of a double whammy. sad

Take care.

1. profile image0

my mum died of cancer in September, her sister who was in a nursing home in greater manchester and was close to her died 3 weeks later, in the middle of all that my grandson was diagnosed with autism, so my daughter in law went to her family in florida, and my son followed this morning..... being on this site helps, and I am working up to posting some hubs soon.....

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
                Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad that we can help a little - it is not all arguments and abuse on here! smile

We're looking forward to your hubs Brenda, meantime, a big cyber hug to you. My brother emigrated to NZ many years ago, and I remember how sad it made my Mum, but the world is a much smaller place these days, and communication is so good now. I hope things brighten up for you soon.

1. profile image0

Thankyou for your kind words. Treating myself to a few hours on here...... I deserve it.

3. packerpack profile image60

Feeling Sorry for your loss.

3. Hawkesdream profile image65

I am still debating whether to participate or not, my e-mail box is overflowing with new hubs, will many have the time to read them all ? I have read a few and it does seem that many do read them, How do they find the time to read and to also write? not sure that I would be able to do both..still debating!

Well I too think the same. I knew about some amazing people here who are regular contributors here and have dedicated themselves full time here but this 30 days brought out so many other hubbers in light whom I didn't know that they too are into full time hubbing. For me it is after office when I come back home or during weekends.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry about it dude. Most people will run out of steam and just the die hards will be left. Once it is all over, normal service will be resumed.

I haven't even seen a single hub from Mr Hupfer yet big_smile

Me too or maybe he is writing in draft and is planning to publish them in bunch!

2. profile image0
        C. C. Riterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mark I read Ryan's first hub last night as it was tagged on facebook. It's a good one with pictures of his fiancee and hiring a photographer for weddings and such. Don't have the link for you. But he did one, now 99 to go. LOL he's gonna be a busy man.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
        Rochelle Frankposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually I think Hup said he was going to publish his 100 under a different name-- it was part of the personal challenge he had with the other guy to see what would theoretically happen to a new person writing 100 in 30. We might not know which ones are his for awhile. (Most people are using their regular account.)

4. Tom Rubenoff profile image88
      Tom Rubenoffposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll still love your stuff, Paper.

The things to keep in mind are still the same.  Hub quality, catchiness, length, and relevancy to search.  I'll bet this temporary dilution will not affect standings more than 5 points. Well, maybe not bet.  Guess would be a better word...

That's great and the points that you have mentioned are supposed to be kept in mind at all times and that is what I do, always. Great to know that there are still people who will not get distracted by the current pomp and show.

5. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'll still like you, that's for sure. smile

Don't worry about this, the Hub Challenge is just a way for all of us to have a little fun while pushing ourselves to somewhat insane limits. It's also been a great way to get some Hubbers motivated to start writing again, which is always good for the overall community in my book.

I think you are the torchbearer of this challenge and I thought you will be busy like hell. But look at you, you are also posting in forum! You guys are really bond, James Bond! How many did you write today? I guess you need a break!

BTW thanks you so much for this supportive reply. I was actually worried for the past few days but the reply here has made me feel more like home!

6. nicomp profile image61
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Keep using colorful words like outcasted and I'll keep reading your hubs.

7. Pete Maida profile image59
      Pete Maidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is clear you write quality over quantity if you can hold a score of 97.  I've never done better than 95.

8. wittywriter profile image60
      wittywriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think this challenge is being blown out sorts. I highly doubt if hubbers who have not taken the challenge will be left to the wayside. It takes all the hubbers to make hubpages.

2. frogdropping profile image78
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Packer - don't worry about it. Yes it's the Big Topic and it's gonna kinda get a few more mentions before the month's out. But learn from it smile Some of the hubs will be inetresting. Some may well be amusing. But I think a lot will be informative. This isn't because the objective is to write 100 or 30 hubs in a given time. It's because the onjective is to find out whether or not more hubs = more money ... therefore it's about monetising.

By that token, I reckon the hubbers taking part will think about external viewings - which means they will need to create tag-rich hubs, designed to be picked up beyond the borders of hubpages. Plus of course they will promoting externally, via twitter and such. I think we'll see some rather clever hubs being published in the next few weeks.

Chin up ... it will all be over when the fat lady sings and we may well be better off for the challenge. We may learn Something big_smile

O yes I completely agree. This will definitely be a very good learning experience. The knowledge base that Hubpages is will become even more strong. I am really happy for all those great writers taking part in it. It will be good for them, for us and for Hubpages as whole. All I am worried about if I will be left behind just because I do not find time write so much.

2. lbtrader profile image60
      lbtraderposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always think external viewing....i also always prefer objective to subjective when i write or basically when i do anything in life nowadays.....i've worried to often about being the outcast..subjective assessments have cost me millions in wages..the only true value of anything is the objective...That is why i like forex and trading since those who succeed are not reduced by the subjective beliefs of those who can't and preach unfairly those who can...it's one of those things, those rare times in life where you actually get paid what you are truly worth. I figure my hubs are a study which might even lead me to some good investments. Making money with adsense seems to me to be a pipe dream...i make about 2 bucks a day.

3. cashmere profile image78
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

No you will not be outcasted. In fact i look forward to quality over quantity. All the best for your next informative hub. Am still struggling with your SEO one by the way.

O so sorry dear. I think I should have written in more juicy language. But now that it is already written, I would suggest you to write to me about any problem that I can help solve for you. Anything at all, just write to me and I will try my level best to explain things to you.

4. charanjeet kaur profile image60
    charanjeet kaurposted 14 years ago

Lol and i thought i was the only one, i felt im already finding my way out and this hub challenge added to my misery. I agree we have lives, a home, a career, and hubs seems to be my passion but somehow the lack of time gets me less popular if that is what it is called here. But paperpack believe in goodness, i think we should hub because we believe in them and trust me viewwers will come. As for the challenge i admire the hubbers who took part, takes lot of effort and time to do what they do i will be there cheering and wishing them good. Gives me more the reason to write hubs....

Another addition to NON 30 day Hub challenge Hubbers.

5. Cris A profile image58
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

And do keep in mind that there are about 66,500 hubbers cool

Hey buddy where did you get that count from??

1. Cris A profile image58
        Cris Aposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Click the Hubbers button on the the top panel. You'll see the figure cool

Ok great, never quite saw that count before or maybe I never paid attention.

6. Cris A profile image58
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Do you know how many actually have joined the challenge? Or at least an idea perhaps? cool

1. charanjeet kaur profile image60
      charanjeet kaurposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good question i was myself wondering the same thing is it possible to get a number?

And if we're to peg their number at a thousand (which is way too much), there are at least 65,500 hubbers who did not join. And with that number I would say we are not outcasted. cool

Good mathematics.

LOL thanks cool

2. profile image0

I love you ha ha

Lurve ya back! cool

Sorry I don't know that. But we have a thread from Ryan Hupfer which announced the challenge. Who so ever joined this challenge have replied there. It has 593 now. But I don't know if any official figure has been announced. sad

7. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

packerpack,

Do not feel bad if other people are talked about more or admired, as I am sure you have fans and do not even realize it.  When it comes to writing more hubs just focus on doing that for yourself, and not worrying about what other people are doing.  The best and most healthy way is to just think tank about yourself.  Years ago I finally stopped analyzing what others thought about me, or comparing myself to others because that is a contest you can never win.

That was a great piece of advice. Actually this is what I am, I prefer to be myself and generally do not care for what others are doing so long it do not affect me but I don't know what happened this time. Maybe I lack experience in such community. Well I still need to learn lot more things like this. Thanks Sweetie!!

8. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Well to be honest I like writing but not under pressure.
    I prefer the gentle river to the rushing ocean.

And another thing ,I will probably be shot down for asking this
    but are their other places that pay more for one off articles?

Does Hubpages work for Google?

I just cant figure out if say one of my hubs has the "potential" to earn $18 but I get 7c

1. SweetiePie profile image84
      SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my experience writing a hub on Hubpages has resulted in the most views and ad revenue compared to other sites such as squidoo.com and ehow.com.  However, you could try writing on those websites too if you want to experiment and see how things go.  It sounds like you might be interested in also selling articles online, so maybe you should check out the site elance.com.  A few of the hubbers are selling their articles their I believe.

9. goldentoad profile image61
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

I have outcasted myself.

1. Hawkesdream profile image65

I don't blame you GT , I have decided to do the same, seems like everyone is so busy on the challenge and we are so busy reading that not many people have the time for anything else.

big_smile big_smile That is a cool attitude. Seems you have taken a chill pill!

3. Moonmaiden profile image69
      Moonmaidenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You crack me up. A salute to anarchists everywhere.

10. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

You certainly will not be left behind, I am only doing 1 a day as I am challenging myself and that seems to be a mild chore. lololo.big_smile Sometimes it takes me hours just to research the information unless I have knowledge about it, I don't know how they are writing 3,4,5 hubs per day but I give them credit but I don't know how they do it. I am busy working on a book and working full-time, dealing with family etc. We won't forget you as you are a great writer so don't worry about that. smile

My condition is exactly like you. But I cannot even challenge myself. I am actually very busy with my office work. I try to sit everyday after I come back home but not everyday it is possible. Sometimes I really get very tired or sometimes it is just a lazy feeling wink

11. marisuewrites profile image60
    marisuewritesposted 14 years ago

My mailbox is running over with hubs I can't read...LOL  I wonder if this is going to be as good as first thought...all the diligent readers are diligently writing...

I write a lot, but can't do this -- somewhere there is dinner and job and my other 35 websites.  ahah
    well, it will be an interesting venture...as it evolves.  smile

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
      Ryan Hupferposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's a lot of emails, that's for sure. haha

It might cut out some reading from within our community momentarily, but in the end it's going to bring in SO many more readers from outside of our community, which is awesome.

12. SweetiePie profile image84
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Writing a few extra hubs this month does not mean we have to keep up and read every hub published right away.  I will be honest, I write what I can and read what I can.  However, I think it is great to sometimes write a shorter hub to begin with, and then come back and edit later.  This way your hub can begin get search engine traffic, and then you can always think about what you might want to add.  So far this is a fun experiment.

13. aidenofthetower profile image66
    aidenofthetowerposted 14 years ago

I didn't read through all of the responses so I may be repeating something that others have said. But there are a number things I wanted to comment on.

First, the Hub community is a friendly and understanding one. I doubt there will be any "outcasting". We all understand if you are too busy. After all, writing good hubs takes a lot of work and a lot of time and if you are working a full time job, that makes it a lot more work! Good for you writing a hub a week! I know that I haven't always been that consistent.

While everyone will be talking about the challenge and the people who took it for a little while...that is relatively a short lived thing. Sure people will be excited, but not for long. I wouldn't worry about it.

People will still go to your hubs. It should also be noted that it works best for earning money to have search engine traffic find your hubs rather then other hubbers (after all most of us don't click on each other's ads).

Finally, your hubscore is a good one! It isn't going to be effected by what others do because it is based on what you do and what goes on in your own statistics. A few of the things it is based on is how often you write, the scores of your articles (the better your articles the better your score), and a number of other number crunching things. All in all, what other people do or don't do isn't going to change that (you should see fluctuations like normal).

Anyway...I would encourage you to keep up your good work and not worry about what you can't possibly do because you don't have the time. Give it 45 days and most of the talk of amazing numbers will be a thing of the past (if not all of it).

O yes you are correct. I know that my score depends on my activity. But questions kept coming but now it is all cool. All because of great buddies like you. You guys are great (it is nothing new).

14. Paper Moon profile image80
    Paper Moonposted 14 years ago

To me it is all about the content.  Some hubbers have high following, but have great content.  Hubbers I admire, posting 3 to 4 hubs a day?  Probably wont have time to read them.  The ones cranking out the same as they have been,  I am trying to get to.  So I for one will not follow the elitists just because they crank.  Some of their hubs are lonely without many readers.  I admire them for trying, but no worshiping.  So do what you do and keep on doing it.  smile

15. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Id be curious how many members actually belong to Hubpages?

and maybe we could have other challenges too, fun, relaxed

Like um , June is Comedy month
              July History
              August Short Stories
              September Poems

Optional only of course

Prizes yea who doesnt love a prize!

1. Pete Maida profile image59
      Pete Maidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I like those ideas.  I've never written comedy; that would be a real challenge.  I am still pushing Paper Moon's Hubs for Peace; there is no downside to writing for peace; except maybe a hubber won't make much money on it.  I think we can sacrifice one unprofitable hub for the cause.

2. Raven King profile image60
      Raven Kingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a plan!  Ooooh I love prizes!
      big_smile

16. lbtrader profile image60
    lbtraderposted 14 years ago

i like that idea Eaglekiwi....i'm already snipping all the short stories out of readers digest as a game plan...

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol sorry its already been done, or has it

17. Whitney05 profile image84
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Google and search engine traffic is the important traffic anyway.

I'll admit I need just 4 more for my 30 goal, but I'm losing steam, as I keep thinking about all the good topics I've published within a week that could have lasted me two months worth is spread out right. I really would like to go for 100, but the more I write the more I think about how many months of topics that could have been.

18. profile image0
    Adam Bposted 14 years ago

No owrries about being left behind...most people will write hubs that are essentially a bunch of pictures of girls.  I don't get the point...but whatever.  I like to think I strive for quality not quantity.

I don't need to see hubs titled: More Hindi Girls, Actresses in Bikinis and things of that nature.

19. Eaglekiwi profile image74

oh they were just off the top of my head ideas
    Im sure you guys would have heaps more too.

20. Eaglekiwi profile image74

ok listen up Hubpages
    We would like  prizes please

suggestions hubbers?
    me ,make mine money ( though I see on the fast food forum ,Im the bad food eater ,so Ill settle for pizza too lol)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)