I cannot keep up with all this reading!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (72 posts)
  1. homesteadbound profile image81
    homesteadboundposted 12 years ago

There are so many wonderful writers who I know are creating so many wonderful hubs. But is anyone reading? I just got my notices and there were 171 new hubs to be read! How is anyone else handling this?

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why are you swirling around my screen, and why are there twelve of you!
      I'm trying to keep up with the reading, but it's so difficult especially as I am busy writing some stories and poems!

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There was a glitch in sending on the daily email with regards to hubbers who you follow. HP is just trying to give you updated information about them, because the daily email wasn't/hasn't been sent for the last 5 days.

3. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I pick a time each day and do a quick scan.  The ones I like right off I read.  Others I make a note to read later then another 150 pop up and and other 150 and another 150 and another 150 and........

homesteadboundposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, and....

4. Jerrico Usher profile image57
      Jerrico Usherposted 12 years agoin reply to this

we don't all read every single hub smile personally I read the ones that are of intrest to me much like you'd scan a news blog site you scan your fans new hubs. At some point it's literally IMPOSSBLE to read them all when you have 1,000+ fans that would be like reading 1000 hubs+ a day. If you feel you must read most of them just scan them, flag them good, cool, useful etc... and move on...

5. profile image0
      Daniella Lopezposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I usually spend an hour or two in the mornings reading hubs and commenting. But this doesn't even put a dent into all the hubs that pop up on my screen. I wish I could read them all, but it's just not possible. hmm

Just read the ones that are of interest to you, or the ones by your favorite hubbers and try not to fret too much about the others.

6. Jlbowden profile image85
      Jlbowdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Homestead:

All I can say is that this could lead into another full-time job for some of us here on hubpages. I try to read at least two long, or three to four short hub articles per evening, that others have composed. And in between all of that I try to produce at least two articles of my own per week, possibly three. Usually if you hub hop, you might be able to read through the articles a bit faster, weeding out ones you do not read right up front for another day. In other words hop over them and come back to them in either a few hours or the next day. Sometimes this is what I do. Otherwise you would have to be a speed reader to cover everyones work, especially 170 plus new articles.

JL

7. Becky Katz profile image79
      Becky Katzposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am so confused. I read those that I follow all the time and don't worry about the rest. Some of those that I follow have been publishing 2-3 times a day. I am still falling behind but I will catch up some day. I am also going to college full time right now. Between this and that, I am just lost.

Some people I am following have published 6-8 a day. Not all are quality, but... It's just alot to weed through. And the month is young!

8. Jo_Goldsmith11 profile image60
      Jo_Goldsmith11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I try to pick one and sometimes two days to do nothing but read and comment. It can be stressful. I look for the ones that I follow first, then if I see something that catches my attention. I will read it, vote and leave a comment. Try to do the best you can! smile) Blessings!

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

I know the feeling. I usually read all the poetry and short stories published (I follow these topics on my home page) but I find myself able to read only people I follow completely as well as some entries by people who follow me. I have not been able to do that this month. I am also leaving less comments than usual.

3. homesteadbound profile image81

Even so, the creative floodgates have opened. It's all good, but overwhelming.
    Cagsil - You always have the neatest pictures for your avatar!

1. Cagsil profile image70

Thank you. smile big_smile

2. TLMinut profile image60
      TLMinutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I had that same thought just before I read this comment! Love that tiger and its eyes.

1. profile image49
        tkdkbtlrposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

3. ThoughtSandwiches profile image74
      ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

I am not handling it well....every time I finish a hub...leave a comment...there's nine new Hubs...sometimes from the folks I just read!

There is a constant flow. I'm stressing.

1. Jerrico Usher profile image57

don't stress, your not obligated to read everyone's hubs, in fact the way I handle it is to ignore my notifications but read the feed (the stream on the landing page when you log in). I just scan that for articles I like and read those.

I'm writing for NaNoWriMo, I don't have time to watch the feed. I'm trying not to stress. I just come here every now and then. And maybe I just needed to vent. At least talk to some other crazy writers. My husband thinks we're a strange bunch.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Tell your husband that everyone is strange in their own way and he is no exception. lol

I have to keep telling him that he is perfect so I can get him to do what I want. I blind him with my brilliance! smile
                He has to think I'm smart if I think he's perfect, right? smile

2. Jerrico Usher profile image57

LOL That's because WE ARE. Strange to the non-writers that is- that's the same everywhere. Fact is writers are brain tankers- we use our brain more than the rest of the world and we're an eccentric bunch because with so much writing being done it's near impossible to not want to crack outside the box and learn more to use in our writing! We're tapping into a magical kingdom those that don't write would have to do in some other creative way...

I see them calling us strange as a compliment and a borometer of telling us we're right on track smile They always come around when they see the money though... patience....

There's that word ... patience big_smile

Remember patience yeilds another powerful lesson that makes you successful- Tollerance. Tollerance of others "opinions" and that's ALL they are, allows you the freed up bandwidth (emotionally) to bypass lingering on it to the point where it robs you of your creativity, and thought power you could use other places. Personally this was a hard one for me and my first days on HP were living proof. I was INtollerable of others rediculouseness and it got the better of me. I lost my account actually in the first 2 months. I had 30 hubs and 100 followers (fans back then) and I would bite back in the forums, but since have learned a great deal about humility and letting others speak their mind and not responding if it emotionally impacts me. By responding I mean not only posting in forums or lashing back, but also IN MY HEAD.

So many people have opinions how can we all agree with all of them? Fact is, we can't and often don't so why let it take your time? I was wathcing a movie last night called "In Time" about how the currency of the world was literally "Time"- you couldn't waste your life arguing or trying to make others see your point because it literally costed you seconds, minutes, hours, years of your life. In this movie you lived to 25 years old naturally and living beyond that meant you had to earn more minutes! Great movie to give youperspective as althogh this was pure fantasy- the concept stands true- time is valuable- even if you can't quantify why or how.

have a great day! Loving your interactions- your quite an intelligent person with a big heart. You write amazing hub topics! I've never seen an author get so many "comment conversations' in hubs so consistently!

My point there is, offliners will never understand untill they themselves become onliners, they are stuck in the analog world offline and it's rules and limitations- so why try to convince them. Just do your thing and speak in a language that's universal on and offline (and to both sets of people)- MONEY. Tangible proof that often will convert an offliner into someone who wants to at least understand ONliners instead of assuming their strange smile

2. Debby Bruck profile image65
                      Debby Bruckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like great movie telling the truth and value of each life.

It blew my frikken mind man. I've since watched it 4 more times just to dig deeper down the "layers" like the Matrix movie does- a good movie has a shelf life of about 6 viewings each with 100% entertainment via different things you  notice in the layers... the idea is simple but the lessons and awareness you can derive from it are staggaring. (same with the movie "Limitless" which was so amazing to me it spawned research that lead me to some amazing insights into "cognitian" enhancement displayed in detail in my hub series about 12 hubs deep (1k words each) called simply "<snipped-no promotional links>" most of us are limited only because we have no clue what part nutrition, the brain chemicals, and water have in our ability to write. For example did you know that water is essential in making your neurons fire faster so you can generate creativity? Just to think your neurons need to fire but without ample water in your system your brain is running in mud because there isn't enough movement of your body chemicals to their destination- the brain, where it's USED. Piracetam is also a writers wet dream... I call it "Writers Crack" but it's 100% great for you and turns your whole brain on through the central nerve fibers the link the two brain hemispheres up... it also repairs the brain.

2. profile image0
                    writeronlineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I like the word before patience more - money.

2. Denise Handlon profile image85
          Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's like that mythical creature where you cut off one head/snake whatever...and more pop up.  Hydra?  I'm so bad at remembering mythology, lol  it really made an impression on me, !! smile

Reply, maybe you don't know what it was because if you look at it, you turn to stone. So since never having seen it, who knows what it really was?
            Medusa!

I don't know why I typed Reply other than I was thinking it. Must have typed out loud! smile

2. homesteadbound profile image81

What keystroke do I use to get the first smiley face that Denise used?

2. homesteadbound profile image81

And I'm trying to do the NaNoWriMo this month for the first time and I am so far behind on that also.

1. Debby Bruck profile image65

What is this please - "NaNoWriMo" ?

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

National Novel Writing Month. (A novel: 50,000 words or more of original fiction).

Hello Webby ~ You are always there for me. Sounds intriguing, but I can't do another thing. Got to get ready for radio shows now. Ta ta... (HUGS)

2. Jerrico Usher profile image57

as in you write 50k words and it's posted like a hub (but in a different format of course)??

1. profile image0

You don't have to post it anywhere. It is an honor's system.

I'm confused... but I need to look to see the site itself before I waste your time in asking redundant questions smile I got the url's (but have been replying to forum posts for 3 hours now- wow you can easily get caught up in this "socializing" thing can't you! Thanks everyone for your help, I love being enlightened!

3. homesteadbound profile image81

All written in November!

1. profile image0

All you need is:
                - Characters
                - Setting
                - Storyline
                - Plot
                - Dialog
                - Theme
                - Genre.

Thanks! smile

3. Denise Handlon profile image85
        Denise Handlonposted 12 years ago

Homesteadbound-I can relate to what you are saying here.  I feel the same way.  AND, there is also the hubnugget reads, the submissions in the forums like the Patrons of Arts or the 30 hub challenge...it goes on and on, doesn't it?

Hey, congrats on the Nano!  I did it 3 yrs ago and it was a challenge that I enjoyed, but have no interest in repeating right now.  Good luck to you! smile

Thanks. It's a challenge, as I've never written fiction before. But something that I always wanted to do.

Here is my attempt at fiction, a work in progress (it's built into my sample of how to build hoplinks in your hubs, I used the first 4 chapters I wrote on a book I call "soul mate" (nothing like you'd expect) a sci fi book... It's a VERY complicated fiction book incorporating (not in that post that's just the background of the main two charactors- who are actually the same person! [spoiler] hence "soul mate" should name it "sole mate"- anyway it incorporates concetps from the matrix, terminator (the sara connor chronicles series that died but was amazing) and many of which I found ways to write my biography into the book i.e. my god childrens personalities are literally the personalities of the two first introduced charactors...!

Thought I'd share smile nobody's commented on my writing there so I have no idea if it's just me, Michelle and the few people I've allowed to read my manuscript that think it's an amazing story- or that my fiction writing is good.

You have to scroll past the top into the sample of that page to read the "fiction" story- the site itself is FICTION, lol really shows you how to make hoplinks... thought I better clarify that

I'll have to catch it another time. Just not enough time right now.

I feel you, the more I post the less time in my day I'm finding! having too much fun not enough work getting done (and my "Energy" CD has repeated twice since I started today at 1pm (now 5:30) and there are 80 tracks! haha

I had previously read the jump link portion and have that part down and ready to use when I need it. Thanks,

2. Denise Handlon profile image85
            Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

@Homesteadbound-like you, I had not attempted fiction-esp. that length, before.  Mine was a 'mystery' which was a double challenge since I had never attempted to write that genre before either. 

I have to say, it really did turn out quite well...with lots of editing, of course, but the characters were interesting and the story line different.

My biggest hang up was not knowing where to take it at the end...the 'solving' part.  But, it was left unfinished b/c I ran out of time and then along came Christmas, LOL        Hope you bring yours to the end!

1. tlpoague profile image81
              tlpoagueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I love writing mysteries. If you need some help, shoot me an email. I love reading your stuff, so I bet your mystery is amazing. I have a couple of days waiting for the snow to pass before we go on our next job. I am trying to use that time to cram write and catch up on some reading. It is wonderful to see so many interesting stories posted. Good luck with yours! I would love to read it.

4. tlpoague profile image81
        tlpoagueposted 12 years ago

I have fallen soooo far behind, that I fear I may never get caught up. What I had been doing is saving my emails, that way when I do have time, I go back thru to read a few people I haven't read in a long time. Most of those people only write once a month or so. Those that write more frequently, I pick the ones that look the most interesting and hope I have enough time to leave a comment.
        My life on HP took a change when a dream came true and my hubby invested in a business for us. Not until the winter months kick in to stay will I be able to invest as much time as I use to.
        It is stressing for me because I feel as if I am letting down those that I often read and commented on. It has taken me awhile to let it go and take it in strides that I can handle.
        I wish you the best of luck in your writing. In the end, you will find a balance reading hubs.

Thanks. Yes balance, something I haven't gained since coming to hubpages. I also will be starting to work with a new client daily as of next week so will have even less time. So I know something is going to give, because it's busting at the seams already.

1. tlpoague profile image81
            tlpoagueposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just feel good knowing that you are doing the best you can, and your true fans and followers will stick around knowing that you will give what time you can. I for one am looking forward to reading more of your work as I can. smile

Thank you, tlpoague. It's good to know. I will be doing cognitive therapy with someone who has alcohol induced dementia. So having everyone behind me will help.

5. Debby Bruck profile image65
        Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Its not humanly possible to read everything that is posted here. Someone please post your personal plan of action. How will you go about responding to comments, meeting new bloggers, visiting different sections of the community, finding time to write your own stuff. Oh gosh!!! Gotta run.

You have to do it like your human, not a machine. You don't, of course, talk to everyone you see on the street when you enter a business do you? You may like to, especially if they are cool, have a great t-shirt on, and so forth but it's impossible to manage your time that way.

Make no mistake, it's great to read hubs, comment, participate but you have to choose your "battles" (in a good way I say battles as in journeys). Treat this like you would an entertainment blog- read the hubs that immediately grab your attention not just becuase one of your fans posted it- it's likely they don't read all of yours!

I love the new "feed" because it lets me in real time and efficiently like on facebook, to scan over and click into those I like. You can even comment without going to the hub if you want- that still helps them!

I spend the bulk of my time scanning and commenting, but I limit my time for these activities (overall beyond actual work/writing hubs) to 2-3 hours MAX (but today I broke my own rule- got caught up). Use these activities to motivate your brain to fire effectively (thinking really revs motivation and when enough neurons are firing in both sides (analytical and entertainment/abstract thinking) creativity is born.

Jerrico - I understand your meaning. In fact, since I am deeply creative this means finding some structure. Otherwise, like you, the limit of 2-3 hours will pass and then no dinner on the table.

I'm also using the front page feed all the time to participate.

yea, it's like a conveyor belt of desserts that feed- you just grab the ones that look the most interresting and reply to them, hubs you read them, it's a no brainer but that feed is like those gold coins Super Mario is jumping up to catch, each thing you "do" be it a comment, leaving a post (even the forum conveys through it), etc... is helping your hubauthor score- if you end up in a hub and flag as well as comment, more coins smile and it's a bit of fun too like an entertainment ticker with social networking built right in smile

I love your metaphors and imagery. This explains our fascination with Hubpages and addiction to sweets. Really we need to turn our attention to personal health, outdoors, family and care-giving.

2. Debby Bruck profile image65

Very interesting information about feeding the brain.

You mean the hub? (Being limitless)?

6. LindaSmith1 profile image61
        LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

After awhile, you begin to learn who you are following.  I usually check those I follow out. Others, if I have time, depending on how long the list is, look at the title to see if it is something I might be iinterested in. Otherwise, they sit in my inbox til I get to them. Afterall, unless we delete them, they aren't going anywhere. The hubs will get credit as long as they are published, whether we read them today or next month.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image61
        LindaSmith1posted 12 years ago

My remedy is: when I can't think, let alone write anymore. I am sitting and watching one of my favorite shows like Hell's Kitchen, this is the time to sit and catch up on the mundane things like reading emails, hubs, etc.

8. JT Walters profile image72
        JT Waltersposted 12 years ago

I write until I get writer's block and then I sit down and read everyone else's work.  It is a formula that works for me.  If I can't produce I am supporting other writers.
        JT

9. successfulblogger profile image61
        successfulbloggerposted 12 years ago

I like the way you look at it jtwalters.

I like it too. She really has a great attitue and she is a wonder inspiration and supporter. Thanks JT.

2. JT Walters profile image72
          JT Waltersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are as well homesteadbound. Thank you for all of your contributions.

3. JT Walters profile image72
          JT Waltersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you as well successfulblogger. I just want to contribute one way or another.

JT

10. Debby Bruck profile image65
        Debby Bruckposted 12 years ago

Hello friends on this thread. I'm beginning to feel like I'm on Twitter with this new Hub Feed. Basically, the messages pass by so quickly, that one can only pick and choose, stop and reply, and then fly. Bye, Bye...

smile sad smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)